Online league / tournaments

• Please log in to reply

03 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

WelshPika

Rookie Trainer

• WelshPika

Hi, so I can imagine this has been mentioned before by a few people. I, along with many others (I'm sure) feel it would be great to have an updated version of the tournaments that we have now, even so much as a virtual league. Similar to what other card games have in place. 

By updated version of tournaments I mean size, more people included and more prizes. A league is pretty much self explanatory. Whilst I know there are online "Leagues" / "Gyms" that are not governed by PTCGO / Pokemon I feel that an official one would be a lot better and garner more interest from the community at large.

I am a streamer on Twitch and this has been a hot topic many times on my stream & others (I wont advertise my name etc, that's not what I'm here for). I bring up that I'm a streamer as I communicate with the PTCGO community on a very regular basis and this sort of idea is very much wanted.

A league wouldn't be too hard to implement and could be self sustained with software and would require very minimal "human" interaction, except maybe at the start, but things such as league standings, match ups etc could be set up with software.

I am also aware that making said software is not as easy as "clicking ones fingers" and hey presto there it is lol. I know it would take some time. 

Imagine if you would, IRL Leagues / Regionals / Worlds but online, it would bring in a significant amount of more interest and active users, sponsors (if that is a plausible situation). So many amazing opportunities for everyone! 

It would help involve both Physically and mentally disabled people that are otherwise not able to partake due to health restrictions just as it would be able to help people who are unable to travel to a league or tournament due to there not being one in their local area. 

Many thanks

WelshPika

03 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Aries514

Rookie Trainer

• Aries514

Hi Hi, 

That is a very very cool idea and just like you said we can see a lot more people take part in the game if some thing of this sort and scale would take place on the online game. If it comes out to be an actual thing I would take part in it, without second thoughts!  :cool:

Aries514

03 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

QueenofScales

Rookie Trainer

• QueenofScales
I think this would be a really great idea. There are lots of people who can't play these types of events irl due to where they live. I got into playing ptcgo for this reason and would really love to participate in league style tournaments. It's a different experience to be able to go into a tournament with friends. I feel like these kinds of events/features on ptcgo would bring back old players and new alike. And most of all it would be super fun and inclusionary for those that wouldn't be able to try to play otherwise. Great idea!

03 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Gutyt36

Rookie Trainer

• Gutyt36

That's a great Idea!

03 June 2018 - 11:10 PM

Valkyria

Novice Trainer

• Valkyria

This would make the game so much more fun! 

03 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

NaiethGo

Rookie Trainer

• NaiethGo

Amazing idea!! +1000 :wub: :wub: :wub:

03 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

moseshasahawk

Rookie Trainer

• moseshasahawk

This is a fantastic idea. Creating more exposure and more accessibility for this amazing community can't be a bad thing. I for one would love to be able to participate in a league type event as my local stores have leagues on days that I can't participate. PTCGO is the only way I can be involved with this community.

03 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

Gamerfreak89

Rookie Trainer

• Gamerfreak89

This is an awesome idea

03 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

TonyStarks11

Rookie Trainer

• TonyStarks11

I think this a great idea and would be lots of fun. It would keep me more interested in the game also. I find myself getting burned out after I finish the ladder and am waiting for the new one. Doing leagues/tournaments in this style would keep me more engaged and I'm sure entice more people to play online.

04 June 2018 - 02:05 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I believe some people have tried to start league systems in the past.  Usually, they don't last long; partially because the leadership is a lot of work, for no material reward; and partially because this game tends to have a very fast turnover rate.

But that's not to say I don't like the idea.  I love it, and would participate as much as I had time for.  I just want to make sure that, if you're going to do this, you know two things: one, there will probably be times when almost no one is using your system; and two, there will be a serious long-term commitment involved, so be prepared for a lot of work, and choose partners wisely.

With that grit out of the way, I support you fully, and let's make this a reality! :)

Edited by SuperStone, 04 June 2018 - 06:14 PM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

04 June 2018 - 02:26 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Thanks for posting your ideas, I will make sure to forward your thoughts to the development team. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

WelshPika

Rookie Trainer

• WelshPika

Thanks for posting your ideas, I will make sure to forward your thoughts to the development team. 

Thank you for responding! Very much appreciate it! The community is very happy <3 

05 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

It's always so odd to see a post with many likes / comments and 99% of people who are responding are accounts that have seemingly be created just to comment in said particular thread.
The logical conclusion would be: a) OP has animated his viewers to create an account and give their thumbs up on his post, B) OP created / reactivated a bunch of smurf accounts to upvote his own post, or c) through a seemingly unimaginable turn of events, 8 individuals, who either didn't have an account, or barely used their account to post, all decided within 24 hours to log in, upvote and comment on your post and then to vanish into the void once again.

Add the fact that this idea has been posted like what, 10-15 times by now ? It all just seems odd...

Okay, jokes aside:
Bigger on demand tournaments seem interesting, but due to the added time for each round it could be a bit of a stretch. Note further that queuing would also take up much more time and if we take it one step further and also add a losers bracket (because playing a 64+ player tournament in a best of 1 setting with no 2nd chances does seem awfully cruel) we'll eventually arrive at a time commitment of 5+ hours.
While you'd spend the same amount of time in a real life tournament, I highly doubt that most of the player base would be willing to invest those hours regularly.
As a special event (say once every quarter) this could be quite fun though. Call it the “Pokemon TCG Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter Championship, a huge tournament with special prizes for the top 8 (sleeves, deck-boxes, maybe a title to be displayed beneath the user name, etc.).

Then again the likely scenario is that the server would eventually crash, rendering the tournament useless.

As for a League feature: Something similar to MTGO could work: A desynchronised system, where you play your matches at your own speed, as you'll always be matches against a player with the same stats. Usually those leagues either go for 5, or for 7 rounds, giving you ample opportunity to finish your games in time. You can obviously go for an even bigger scale, maybe even open ended, but then you'll have problems matching people with extremely good / bad stats, depending on their respective time zones.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

05 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

WelshPika

Rookie Trainer

• WelshPika

It's always so odd to see a post with many likes / comments and 99% of people who are responding are accounts that have seemingly be created just to comment in said particular thread.
The logical conclusion would be: a) OP has animated his viewers to create an account and give their thumbs up on his post, :cool: OP created / reactivated a bunch of smurf accounts to upvote his own post, or c) through a seemingly unimaginable turn of events, 8 individuals, who either didn't have an account, or barely used their account to post, all decided within 24 hours to log in, upvote and comment on your post and then to vanish into the void once again.

Add the fact that this idea has been posted like what, 10-15 times by now ? It all just seems odd...

While you'd spend the same amount of time in a real life tournament, I highly doubt that most of the player base would be willing to invest those hours regularly.

Very easy and simple to answer, and semi answered in my Original Post, I am a streamer, I mentioned on stream about this post and linked it and a couple of viewers responded to it, They are all legit accounts, its concerning that you "checked up" on them. 

Just because they do not use the forums, doesnt mean they are new players or accounts. 

You would be surprised how much time people are willing to spend in these tournaments if they where available, I myself run "tournaments" with 2 other streamers each month with a BO1 and 3rd place additional game and well, the viewers love it. Usually get around 20 - 30 entrants with more watching for pleasure and simply to kick back with the community.  We also have a "gym league" with approx 150 people involved and keep that very active between 8 - 10 streamers (currently) 

05 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Very easy and simple to answer, and semi answered in my Original Post, I am a streamer, I mentioned on stream about this post and linked it and a couple of viewers responded to it, They are all legit accounts, its concerning that you "checked up" on them. 

Just because they do not use the forums, doesnt mean they are new players or accounts.

Mostly his "a" theory. Two of the accounts were created just to reply to you. We can see data on them just by hovering over the names. The others are older, yes, and some had been active briefly. If they all stuck around, that would be great.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

05 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

WelshPika

Rookie Trainer

• WelshPika

If they all stuck around, that would be great.

That's the intention! :-) The community on certain streaming platforms are growing daily and I would love for them to be more active here on the official forums (as they are always expressing their concerns about the game, things such as improvements they would like to see, things they think are great already etc) as what better place to express their honest opinions about the game? I must say I fall short on using the forums as much as I probably should.

Mostly his "a" theory. Two of the accounts were created just to reply to you. We can see data on them just by hovering over the names. The others are older, yes, and some had been active briefly. 

If that is the case "that they made accounts specifically for this" is that a bad thing? Providing of course they are NOT secondary accounts. I will of course advise against that on my next stream.. That of course is something I do NOT want to happen. 

EDIT - fixing typos 

Edited by WelshPika, 05 June 2018 - 01:27 PM.

05 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

If that is the case "that they made accounts specifically for this" is that a bad thing? 

It doesn't seem like it is here, no.  But the concern is that people create a large number of accounts to inflate their apparent popularity; which is something that has been done.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

05 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

WelshPika

Rookie Trainer

• WelshPika

It doesn't seem like it is here, no.  But the concern is that people create a large number of accounts to inflate their apparent popularity; which is something that has been done.

I can certainly understand that. I can do little more than promise that's not the case here and I would certainly hope that if anyone from my streams see this, I do not condone that behavior at all. 

We simply wish to see PTCGO grow bigger and better in every way possible just as the community is :-)