[CARD] Warp Energy Shining Legends #70 - Doesn't Work on the Growth Ancient Trait

• Please log in to reply

13 May 2018 - 01:51 PM

EdvardMunchlax

Rookie Trainer

• EdvardMunchlax

Whenever I attach a Warp Energy to a Pokemon with the Growth Ancient Trait—say, a Primal Kyogre-EX—it doesn't let me attach a second energy card to it after it is switched to the bench. I know this is definitely a bug because: 1) Ancient Trait usually works on Special Energy like Double Colorless Energy, etc., so there shouldn't be any reason why Warp Energy would be an exception 2) Warp Energy does work with the Ancient Trait IF you have no Pokemon on the bench (meaning it lets you attach a second energy card if the switching mechanism isn't triggered), OR if you attach it as the second energy (meaning it's the second attachment). There shouldn't be any difference between having a bench or not or attaching it first or second because the effect of the Ancient Trait remains the same. Please fix this bug as soon as you can. Thank you so much.

13 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Not too sure.

Theory: Switching to the bench is interrupting the effect of Ancient Trait triggered by attaching the first energy.

A Pokemon moved from active to the bench is considered a different Pokemon. This is how players get around the "can't attack next turn" effect, as an example.

The effect of the Ancient Trait is triggered before moving, so it is cancelled when it moves.

On reaching the bench, the Warp Energy has already been already attached, so doesn't trigger the α Growth Trait.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

13 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

EdvardMunchlax

Rookie Trainer

• EdvardMunchlax

But the Ancient Trait never requires the Pokemon to be Active for it to work... Its language never says anything about having to be Active, benched, or anything else; it's just about attaching energy from your hand to the Pokemon (with a few exceptions, none of which apply). We know for sure that the Ancient Trait works on a benched Pokemon because you can attach any two energies on it in one turn without any problems of any sort. The effect of switching to the bench shouldn't affect anything because the Ancient Trait works both when you're Active and when you're on the bench. I get what you're saying about the switching mechanism and how they sometimes disrupt effects, but this is not one of those situations as the Ancient Trait is not changed upon switching (unlike for example, the status of not being able to attack after getting inflicted with the effect from an opponent's attack, any status condition such as paralysis, and so on).

13 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Growth (Ancient Trait)...

When you attach an Energy card from your hand to this Pokemon (except with an attack, Ability, or Trainer card), you may attach 2 Energy cards.

I don't see anything in the Official Rulings about either Warp Energy or the Growth Ancient Trait, but SandaledOtter brings up a good point.  I'd be curious how the Rules Team sees this, but it seems like it might be working as intended.

The key wording in the Growth AT is, "to this Pokémon," maybe?  Basically, if you're attaching one Energy card, you have the option to attach 2 instead -- to this Pokémon.  But anytime a Pokémon moves from one Zone to another (from Discard to Bench, from Active to Bench, etc.) it essentially becomes a different Pokémon entirely.  By attaching a Warp Energy when it's Active, forcing it to the Bench, maybe the "switch" occurs first? ...and it's no longer "this Pokémon?"

It all depends on which order these simultaneous events happen.

Have you tried attaching a Basic Energy first, and then the Warp Energy, to see if that makes a difference?  Or does the game require both Energy to be placed at the same time?

Edited by RobRatt, 13 May 2018 - 09:58 PM.

14 May 2018 - 01:21 AM

EdvardMunchlax

Rookie Trainer

• EdvardMunchlax

Oh, I didn't know that switching a Pokemon from either the bench/Active makes it a different Pokemon entirely. If so, then it might be working as intended. But I'm curious to hear official confirmation about it and whether it works correctly because my hunch was just that it was not.

14 May 2018 - 02:12 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

You're right.  And it's entirely possible that this is a glitch in the game.  Ancient Traits are stubborn things, and were intended to be that way.  I threw that out as a possible explanation, but would gladly accept if the official ruling was different.

Edited by RobRatt, 14 May 2018 - 02:45 AM.

14 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Moving between active and bench doesn't reset "this pokemon" like it clears attack effects.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

14 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Mod_Elderberry

• Mod_Elderberry

Thank you for your bug report. I have submitted it to the proper channels for review.

Moderator Elderberry
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!