Conceding: Does it count?

• Please log in to reply

07 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

qbndx

Rookie Trainer

• qbndx

Does conceding count as a win/loss? It counts toward a player's win streak and the ladders, but does it reflect in a player's stats or a deck's stats? I can't tell specifically, because the deck stats seem inaccurate, but that could be a delay in how long it takes for that stat to update. Also, searching the internet hasn't yielded an answer to my question, and the only information I can find about conceding is people's opinions on how much they dislike it. Personally, I don't care if my opponent concedes. A win/loss is a win/loss, however it comes about. But, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Are the opinions I'm reading all personal gripes, or does conceding actually detract from the game in a meaningful way?

07 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

To define "concede" should answer your question...

- admit defeat in (a contest)

- surrender or yield

Yes, when you concede, it does count as a loss.  Whether the deck stats record it as such, that's another matter, because, as you've discovered, it's very sporadic.

I think people complain when it's obvious that other players concede at inopportune times, or for no apparent reason after a very long match.  Sometimes it's very obvious that they're being a poor sport about the whole thing.  Conceding, in itself, shouldn't be a problem, unless your mind's eye knows that he or she is cussing or crying simply because they didn't win.  There's probably a balance, and your opponent quitting in a rage feels like a much different victory.  In some games, especially the hard-fought ones, it feels as though they've stolen the "winning moment," I guess.

Edited by RobRatt, 07 May 2018 - 01:58 AM.

07 May 2018 - 02:16 AM

qbndx

Rookie Trainer

• qbndx

To define "concede" should answer your question...

- admit defeat in (a contest)

- surrender or yield

Yes, when you concede, it does count as a loss.  Whether the deck stats record it as such, that's another matter, because, as you've discovered, it's very sporadic.

I think people complain when it's obvious that other players concede at inopportune times, or for no apparent reason after a very long match.  Sometimes it's very obvious that they're being a poor sport about the whole thing.  Conceding, in itself, shouldn't be a problem, unless your mind's eye knows that he or she is cussing or crying simply because they didn't win.  There's probably a balance, and your opponent quitting in a rage feels like a much different victory.  In some games, especially the hard-fought ones, it feels as though they've stolen the "winning moment," I guess.

Thanks for the response  :) 

A simple definition doesn't answer my question  :P 

To concede can have a different meaning, depending on how it is defined within the game and its rules. I understand that to concede is technically a win/loss. I also understand that to concede counts toward a player's win streak, as well as their progress in the ladders. My more specific question is whether it counts toward player stats and deck stats. When you say deck stats are sporadic, what does that mean? Does it simply mean that deck stats update infrequently? Does conceding count sometimes and not other times?

As for people's personal issues with conceding, I guess I don't care to discuss it. From what I can tell, such concerns are nothing more than personal issues. Unless you are interacting with another player by some means other than the in-game emotes and responses, then there is no way to tell if the other person is obviously enraged, salty, etc. I agree with your comment about "the mind's eye". It seems like people fill in the blanks with their own feelings.

07 May 2018 - 02:35 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Many of the complaints about conceding are from people trying to do the daily challenges. You can't do damage or get a KO when your opponent sees it coming and quits.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

07 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

qbndx

Rookie Trainer

• qbndx

Many of the complaints about conceding are from people trying to do the daily challenges. You can't do damage or get a KO when your opponent sees it coming and quits.

I actually haven't heard that perspective, but it makes sense. I can see how someone could be annoyed by that, though it wouldn't be much of a bother to me. I can't find a reason to be upset with a win  :D  Ultimately, a player can just get into another game and have another go at the challenge. At least the they don't reset after each match.

07 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

My more specific question is whether it counts toward player stats and deck stats. When you say deck stats are sporadic, what does that mean? Does it simply mean that deck stats update infrequently? Does conceding count sometimes and not other times?

Yes, the Deck Info stat (win/loss) updates very intermittently, at least on the VS Ladder.  Any win or loss -- whether conceding or not -- may or may not count in that deck's statistics.  It's something that I reported after an update a couple months ago. Sometimes it counts concessions, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it counts knockout wins, sometimes it doesn't.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55850-game-deck-statistics-winloss-record/

And yes, a loss, is a loss.  If you concede, it should count toward your personal stats.  I'd guess that only matters for your ELO rating however -- to determine your skill level for ranking -- because the Game Stats in the game don't show XX wins / XX losses, at least that's visible.

Someone suggested to me, and it's probably a good idea, to use something like a spreadsheet if you really need to monitor a deck's stats, or your own.

Edited by RobRatt, 07 May 2018 - 05:00 AM.

07 May 2018 - 11:34 PM

qbndx

Rookie Trainer

• qbndx

Yes, the Deck Info stat (win/loss) updates very intermittently, at least on the VS Ladder.  Any win or loss -- whether conceding or not -- may or may not count in that deck's statistics.  It's something that I reported after an update a couple months ago. Sometimes it counts concessions, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it counts knockout wins, sometimes it doesn't.

[url=http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55850-game-deck-statistics-winloss-record/]http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55850-game-deck-statistics-winloss-record/[/url]

And yes, a loss, is a loss.  If you concede, it should count toward your personal stats.  I'd guess that only matters for your ELO rating however -- to determine your skill level for ranking -- because the Game Stats in the game don't show XX wins / XX losses, at least that's visible.

Someone suggested to me, and it's probably a good idea, to use something like a spreadsheet if you really need to monitor a deck's stats, or your own.

Thank you, that answers my question :)

Interestingly, there is a formula to determine your win percentage, based on the stats that are provided in the game.

win% = (Points - Played) / (Played x 2)

After that, depending on what percentage of played games that is, you can determine an exact number of wins and losses. Whether the initial numbers are correct is a different story :P Also, the formula is based on a win counting as three points and a loss counting as one point. I can't prove if that's true or not, but it's what I've read.