Still get the old urges?

• Please log in to reply

06 May 2018 - 11:53 PM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek
Hey everyone, here is a question for those who started playing Pokémon on a Game Boy, wither Game Boy Color or Game Boy advanced, but do you still feel some of the old urges you get when the new games? Like when you heard about SM or USUM coming to the 3DS, did you feel the urge to say, stock up on batteries like you used to for RBY, along with wanting to rent it at the local Blockbuster or say, when playing them, when you see the red light on the 3DS, saying it needs a recharge, that the first thought to come to your head was please god, I hope I still have some batteries, the AA kind? Or with the Pokémon Switch, that you hope that it would be a bit like Pokémon Stadium, where you can connect it with the 3DS games, and trade pokemon between them.

Or say, with the anime, do you still wish that Ash would start bringing in his old pokemon more often, but get disappointed that by the end of each arc now, that you only see one or two when Ash returns to Pallet Town, and you never see him call them in for either the Unova or Kalos League? Or wishing that the animators put more effort into the anniversary seasons, since the series doesn't seem to do a good job of remembering the past any.

Not sure what feelings people feel when it comes to the Trading Card Game, although I would like to use the old card from Gen I in the online game, or how people feel about Adventures, hoping to get the next issue, so I'll leave those alone for everybody else.

Me, well, since I've started playing RBY on the original game, some part of me still gets the same feeling I get playing Pokémon Sun on the 3DS as I do playing, say, Pokémon Yellow; some days, I just feel tempted to check my battery supply when the 3DS battery starts to die, even though I know that all you need to do is plug it in, or when it comes to trading, want to brake out the link cable. Or with the Pokémon Switch, feel like wanting to get ready to go to the nearest video store to rent it, like I did with Colosseum. Basically, I get the urges, but I don't act on them, even out of reflex, because I know better. As for the anime, stopped watching since BW, due to it seemed like they seem to reuse a lot of the old themes to fit into the new, while also, find it sad how they don't let Ash mix and match his Pokémon more, yet focus more on the ones he gets in that specific region.

Anyway, anybody want to share their stories, go ahead, and keep them clean. And I know that RBY and GSC are on the Virtual Console, but my question is, do they feel exactly the same as playing the originals on the Game Boy, or more like a close, but no ***** kind of deal?

07 May 2018 - 01:12 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

I get the battery feels. I kept my gameboy color and my original pokemon red and I think my save game battery ran out.  Things were simpler then lol. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

08 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

Mod_Gunning

Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi GrewupGeek,

I get the urge of finding a Game Boy again anyway! How much bigger it becomes when thinking I could play a Pokémon game on it!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

09 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Some of my fondest memories were of playing on my old Game Boy on car trips home by streetlight and headlights until the batteries ran out. It's much more convenient now, where I just plug my 3DS in!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

31 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

Poisoneddoll

Rookie Trainer

• Poisoneddoll

So, I'm 27 and still love Pokemon TCG as much as I did as a child when it first came out. Any other older pokemon TCG players here? If so I'd like to be friends if you're around my age to play. This means you Grew Up Geek. Let' play a round or two sometime!

Hey everyone, here is a question for those who started playing Pokémon on a Game Boy, wither Game Boy Color or Game Boy advanced, but do you still feel some of the old urges you get when the new games? Like when you heard about SM or USUM coming to the 3DS, did you feel the urge to say, stock up on batteries like you used to for RBY, along with wanting to rent it at the local Blockbuster or say, when playing them, when you see the red light on the 3DS, saying it needs a recharge, that the first thought to come to your head was please god, I hope I still have some batteries, the AA kind? Or with the Pokémon Switch, that you hope that it would be a bit like Pokémon Stadium, where you can connect it with the 3DS games, and trade pokemon between them.

Or say, with the anime, do you still wish that Ash would start bringing in his old pokemon more often, but get disappointed that by the end of each arc now, that you only see one or two when Ash returns to Pallet Town, and you never see him call them in for either the Unova or Kalos League? Or wishing that the animators put more effort into the anniversary seasons, since the series doesn't seem to do a good job of remembering the past any.

Not sure what feelings people feel when it comes to the Trading Card Game, although I would like to use the old card from Gen I in the online game, or how people feel about Adventures, hoping to get the next issue, so I'll leave those alone for everybody else.

Me, well, since I've started playing RBY on the original game, some part of me still gets the same feeling I get playing Pokémon Sun on the 3DS as I do playing, say, Pokémon Yellow; some days, I just feel tempted to check my battery supply when the 3DS battery starts to die, even though I know that all you need to do is plug it in, or when it comes to trading, want to brake out the link cable. Or with the Pokémon Switch, feel like wanting to get ready to go to the nearest video store to rent it, like I did with Colosseum. Basically, I get the urges, but I don't act on them, even out of reflex, because I know better. As for the anime, stopped watching since BW, due to it seemed like they seem to reuse a lot of the old themes to fit into the new, while also, find it sad how they don't let Ash mix and match his Pokémon more, yet focus more on the ones he gets in that specific region.

Anyway, anybody want to share their stories, go ahead, and keep them clean. And I know that RBY and GSC are on the Virtual Console, but my question is, do they feel exactly the same as playing the originals on the Game Boy, or more like a close, but no ***** kind of deal?

02 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

So, I'm 27 and still love Pokemon TCG as much as I did as a child when it first came out. Any other older pokemon TCG players here? If so I'd like to be friends if you're around my age to play. This means you Grew Up Geek. Let' play a round or two sometime!

I'm 37 and I wouldn't mind.

One thing that would be nice is if the folks that run the online game would starting all of the old cards already, even if they have to negotiate with Wizards of the Coast in order to get the cards they created on here.