"N" isn't as great as you think.

• Please log in to reply

03 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Nitron2097

Rookie Trainer

• Nitron2097

x

Edited by Nitron2097, 18 May 2018 - 12:20 AM.

03 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

N disrupts all search/draw attacks, since the cards they draw get sent back into the deck. You might be giving them cards, but if you use it well, you're more likely to take essential cards away. If they had to search for it, it didn't come up on its own. That disruption increases if you're losing, as you'll get more cards than your opponent.

N draws 6 until you've actually taken prizes. Shauna draws 5. Cynthia, OTOH, draws 6, making it a better choice than Shauna unless you have a strategy that calls for fewer cards in your hand (those do exist).

Learn when to use them, and Sycamore, and include some of each.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

03 May 2018 - 11:41 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I hate N. One of the most. But it's a huge card.

Early game gives 6-5 cards. Pretty good.

Disruption when you back in prizes or opponent draw key cards for next turn, is huge.

Even late game, 2 cards is better than 4 in a dead hand. And what about your opponent needing only 1 energy (for example) to get last prize having 10 cards in hand and you play N reducing opponent to 1 and gives you the comeback for the win?! Great sensation. Almost as good as your 4 cards dead hand and opponent playing you N down to 1 and you get a... Cynthia, a Sycamore, or just the card you need to win. That's wordless.

And saves you from decking out also late game.

A staple 4-4 line altogether with Sycamore was the most reliable drawing engine of the game last era.

Right now, 2 N is played in most of decks, 3 sometimes... game evolves.

I wouldn't take the advice of someone saying "try Shauna" when Cynthia makes the same and gives you 6 cards, not 5.

The "trick" is to have support enough. That way you can choose in same turn between N and Cynthia or N and Sycamore, or N and another supporters a lot of times.

And yes, sometimes you give cards to your opponent. But you decide if you play N or not. Sometimes is better to give a couple cards to opponent (or even the 6) than to end turn without attacking or adding energy or whatever you need to move on and win.

You don't like, it's OK, but you cannot make everyone think the same, just with the above points. Not reason enough for any middle-experienced player of PTCGO.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

My 1st pokémon VGame http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/59894-my-1st-pok%C3%A9mon-videogame-nds-diamond-story-and-help/

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

04 May 2018 - 03:26 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Every meta deck plays N. Top players who compete on a global scale include it in their decks and they had done so much more playtesting than you do, and they have the skills.

Yeah guess who should I listen to. Shauna is an obsolete card that no one uses. N isn't

Edited by BowserLuigi, 04 May 2018 - 03:28 AM.

04 May 2018 - 03:31 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

N has changed games so many times for me, both IRL and OL. I would say that it is one of the best supporters ever printed and makes the game more balanced. 

04 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

Metagross GX uses algorithm and you don't have N in your hand it's almost an auto loss, your opponent uses vulpix beacon attack you don't have N your opponent will most likely have the upper hand by having guaranteed evolution, same with talonflame aero blitz attack, your opponent uses Sylveon GX magical ribbon and you don't have N in your hand your opponent will take control of the game very quickly and there are many other ocasions that it's better to use N for intsance if your opponent used brigette without ultra ball/lele and still has like 5 or 6 cards in their hand trust me chances to have a turn 2 rare candy is very likely, so you should play N even if your opponent ends up with a similar hand he/she most likely will not be able to get things out so smoothly he/she may end up discarding important resources like super rod or rescue stretcher which most players play only one or two copies and those you can't get back from the discard pile because they are item cards, unless you're playing a deck that uses 4 puzzle of time and/or other shenanigans and puzzle of time combo is a little bit hard to pull it off consistently. So N is a top tier card.

Edited by EpicShonenGuy, 04 May 2018 - 03:44 PM.

04 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

Nitron2097

Rookie Trainer

• Nitron2097

x

Edited by Nitron2097, 18 May 2018 - 12:20 AM.

04 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

You use N when you can bring your opponent down to 3-1, or after a Magical Ribbon, Big Wheel etc. otherwise you use Cynthia, Sycamore or Colress if you need a new hand.

Shauna is super niche and is only preferable to Cynthia if, for some reason, you want to have 5 cards in your hand instead of 6. (Trying to keep certain cards in your deck or trying to prevent yourself from decking out.) Even then Cynthia is probably better.

Edited by Toklopo, 04 May 2018 - 09:57 AM.

04 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

gunmetal

Trainer

• gunmetal
The only decks that I know of that run Shauna are noivern break and yanmega break they both require your hand to either be a certain size or equal to your opponents hand to either attack for no energy or do up to 150 damage I've played a lot of boomburst noivern for fun and the deck is amazing when the coin flips on its ability go in your favor

06 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

N has changed games so many times for me, both IRL and OL. I would say that it is one of the best supporters ever printed and makes the game more balanced. 

Yes... It has been said that N has lost more games than any other card.  You might have a clear lead, but if all of the sudden you have no cards you can use, it becomes easy for comebacks to happen.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

09 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

I think that it's a great idea to run Shauna instead of N! 

(My Sylveon-GX absolutely hates him)

Friendship is magic!

09 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Trainers,

This is a great discussion! It's great seeing players debate different strategies and coming up with alternatives. Shauna is good for when you need a new hand but don't necessarily want to give your opponent that benefit.

There are situations where using N can turn a game in your favor, but like SuperStone pointed out, using N can certainly backfire. I think the important part is knowing how and when to use it. 

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

09 May 2018 - 08:20 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Why?

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

09 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Why?

Because that I’ll see less opposition to my Sylveon-GX tactic. And I’d rather not Wink Wink an N, it’ll ruin the whole purpose of the attack.

EDIT: For clarification, Wink Wink is an attack that the FoL Sylveon has. It costs a colorless energy, and has the following effect: Your opponent reveals his/her hand. You may discard a supporter you find there, and use the effect of that supporter as this attack’s effect.

Not super effective like Magical Ribbons, but hilarious to use and a pretty good disrupter.

Edited by Princess_Aurora, 09 May 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Friendship is magic!

09 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Why?

Because she doesn't have any associations with Team Plasma, obviously.  Duh.

:P 

Edited by SuperStone, 09 May 2018 - 10:06 PM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

09 May 2018 - 11:13 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

(My Sylveon-GX absolutely hates him)

Well it turns out that my sylveon GX/magnezone (duel brains) loves it. In many games, a N plus delinquent play emptied my opponents hand and I just started to fairy wind.

It seems that you like fairy types as most of your decks are gardevoirs and sylveons. You can try this stall/mill deck to annoy the **** out of your opponent.

Edited by Sadra, 09 May 2018 - 11:14 PM.

09 May 2018 - 11:25 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Well it turns out that my sylveon GX/magnezone (duel brains) loves it. In many games, a N plus delinquent play emptied my opponents hand and I just started to fairy wind.
It seems that you like fairy types as most of your decks are gardevoirs and sylveons. You can try this stall/mill deck to annoy the **** out of your opponent.

I know, I was talking about my opponent playing an N. I use a variant of the classic Sylveon-GX set-up, replacing one with a FoL Sylveon. Pretty fun to play with. I’ll see what I can come up with the Delinquent+Red card+Mars combo, but I’m playing more of a defense/support stance (Aromatisse+Max Potions, Flower Shield Comfey, etc...)

Friendship is magic!