How to deal against annoying discard decks?

• Please log in to reply

01 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

Cesittos

Rookie Trainer

• Cesittos

I get angry AF againt decks that discard your cards like crazy.

Any clue to avoid this type of team? 

Rarely I beat them.

01 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Difficult to answer without seeing your deck(s).

Best tips from the top of my head:

• run energy recursion if possible to counter Hammers, Grunts, etc.

• preserve your cards if possible as soon as you realize that you are playing against that type of deck

• try to understand how those decks work and try to exploit their weakness

• just quite the match if you are annoyed. True, you lose your win streak and in a tournament setting this is obviously no option, but if you really dislike to play against a certain niche archetype, than it might simply to worth it to play against those decks at all.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

01 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

The most notorious types of stall/mill decks include durant/mew, sableye/garbodor, and waillord/hoopa, I wonder if you are referring to these. The most important aspects of dealing with these decks have been explained by felidae above. Another important thing to remember is that while these decks are difficult to beat under certain circumstances (e.g. decks that only run DCEs), they have little to no chance of winning against decks such as archies, darkrai, and ho-oh, if you use your resources correctly. In addition, they are very fragile at the same time if they don't draw well and prize certain cards, which happens more than you think.

Edited by Sadra, 01 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

01 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

gunmetal

Trainer

• gunmetal
Ultra prism oranguru and its attack resource management it returns three cards from your discard pile to the bottom of your deck and it cost only one energy its an auto loss for those decks and you only need one of it in your deck

Edited by gunmetal, 01 May 2018 - 01:08 PM.

01 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Ultra prism oranguru and its attack resource management it returns three cards from your discard pile to the bottom of your deck and it cost only one energy its an auto loss for those decks and you only need one of it in your deck

Nah, Durant decks typically mill 4 cards per turn, and with a recovery rate of 3 cards per turn, it'll buy you some time but won't win the match.

My advice against mill decks is to only have a single Pokemon on the field, who can attack, such as Gardevoir-GX. The main catch to mill decks is that they have to mill you out before that you take 6 prizes, so they'll continuously try to swap out your attackers into your bench. Having nothing on the bench takes care of that problem. Gardie-GX's Twilight can also buy you some time, but not all decks run her. So, main strategy is to hit fast and hard, and have an empty bench.

Friendship is magic!

01 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Cesittos

Rookie Trainer

• Cesittos

It's pathetic this kind of deck. Some people dont use energy at all, just hammers, rockets and stuff to run out your cards. I dislike this strategy, but ONCE it's allowed.... I've been trying to figure out what I can do against them. 

Thanks 4 the advices.

Edited by Cesittos, 01 May 2018 - 05:01 PM.

01 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Frankie-Ashley

Trainer

• Frankie-Ashley
Hey in standard its really use a hooh kiawe and dawn winghaha they literally concede because they cant discard energy and i can hit 180 plus choice and plus 30 per volc but.. if you come across mill stall decks... you need a big damage ****** or theyll heal or what not.... dont put energy on unless you can ko the enemy amd yeah dont put loads on bench or theyll keep shuffling.