[CARD] Guzma 115/147 - can play YET the player with a bench

• Please log in to reply

30 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

Bluefgs85

Veteran Trainer

• Bluefgs85
Massive issue with Guzma. The card is very inconsistent at start of the game if one player adds to their bench vs other player who sits on one card. The single card player can play Guzma YET the player with a bench can’t play it. It’s ridiculous because the card is designed to support attacking play yet it ends up doing the opposite.

EITHER BOTH CAN PLAY IT OR NEITHER.

Happy to discuss

Thanks
Blue

Edited by Bluefgs85, 30 April 2018 - 09:54 PM.

30 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I think we're kind of stuck with the official ruling.  But for the player with the Bench, isn't that why cards like Float Stone are common in most decks? ...to simply retreat, and save your Guzma for another turn?

Q. If I play "Guzma", who chooses which Pokemon to switch for each player?

A. You make all of those choices. (Burning Shadows FAQ; Aug 3, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I play Guzma if my opponent doesn't have any Pokemon on their Bench?

A. No, you cannot. If the opponent doesn't have a bench there's no way to do the second part of the trainer, and you cannot play a Trainer card for no effect. (Aug 31, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

P.S.  It is frustrating if you get a bad start.  JSYK, any "down votes" didn't come from me.  I don't do that, even if my opinion differs, unless the person is being difficult for no reason.

Edited by RobRatt, 01 May 2018 - 01:24 AM.

01 May 2018 - 01:14 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
To put it simply...

Step 1: If opponent has a bench, set guzma.succeed = true. Otherwise set to false and the card cannot be played. Switch your opponent's active.

Step 2: Switch your active, only if guzma.succeed = true.

If your opponent doesn't have a bench to switch to, step 2 does not happen, and thus you cannot switch either. But if you don't have a bench, but your opponent does, you can go through step 1 and force your opponent to switch, and when you come to step 2 there's nothing for you to switch to, thus you don't need to switch.

The important thing is that your opponent HAS to have bench pokemon for Guzma to be played.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 01 May 2018 - 01:17 AM.

01 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

Hello Bluefgs85,

Thanks for your post. The thread was moved and submitted for review.

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

01 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Bluefgs85

Veteran Trainer

• Bluefgs85

ok thanks :-)

What does that mean?

BRgds

Blue

06 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

“Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. If you do, [...].”

If you don't → no effect → can't play the card.

Mod_Rowan's answer means nothing will happen.