Game is Completely Unbalanced

• Please log in to reply

20 January 2019 - 12:13 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

So if the Expanded Format were abandoned tomorrow, you'd consider all current rulings for it null and void? O_o

I would, actually. :P I think that if it no longer exists, it no longer exists.  The players can carry on in its stead, of course, but the rules are being individually reinstated by each event organizer who chooses to do so.  You can have a community consensus, but nobody can say you're wrong if you choose to, say, end Expanded after gen 7 or reverse bans.

Also, not sure what you mean by "endorsed".  You can hold Unlimited Format tournaments and have them recognized by Play! Pokémon, they just don't count towards qualifying for the World Championship.

You probably can.  You can probably get just about anything recognized as long as they don't need to bother assigning Play! points, though I don't know.  For me, endorsement requires you to actively use the format, which they don't right now.

Again, all of this is my opinion.  You're free to disagree, but I myself am content with my logic paths. :)

Edited by SuperStone, 20 January 2019 - 12:17 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

20 January 2019 - 12:18 AM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

The only time I really even think about making a 30-Card deck is if I want to Playtest something. I don't have the biggest collection so I do Playtest a lot with 30-Card decks. But, I would never use them in actual play with a friend because 60 cards, allows so much flexibility.

So you're not even curious how a smaller deck, three Prizes instead of six (forgot to mention that earlier), and a two-card (instead of four-card) limit on cards with the same name affects things?  Fair enough, but can you understand why some folks, like me, are curious about such things!

Take out one Tag Team-GX and you win!  One regular Pokémon and one Pokémon-EX/GX and that's game.  Want to use Professor Sycamore?  Okay, but in a normal game, you begin with 47 cards left in your deck (46 after your opening draw for the turn).  Here, your deck is only cards 20 cards (30 cards, less seven-card opening hand, less three Prizes).  19 after your opening draw.  Use a Professor Sycamore and you're down to 12 cards!  Again, if these things don't entice you... okay. ;)

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

20 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

Again, all of this is my opinion.  You're free to disagree, but I myself am content with my logic paths. :)

It isn't really just "your opinion" though.  An opinion is like "Chocolate is the best flavor!".  Our tastes can differ, so if you think vanilla is the best, it can be to you at the same time chocolate is to me.  This is a disagreement over what actually is: do the rules and rulings for a past format cease to be because that format is no longer used by Play! Pokémon?  Considering they consider past rulings as binding unless repealed, that doesn't make much sense to me.

The logic you're presenting has no reason to stop with the Unlimited Format, after all.  If we aren't talking about an event recognized by Play! Pokémon, you can ignore and and even all the current rules as well.  Just let people know ahead of time. ;)  You're ignoring those rules, though; they still exist even if no one cares about them.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

20 January 2019 - 02:29 AM

WingsofFire1014

Veteran Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

So you're not even curious how a smaller deck, three Prizes instead of six (forgot to mention that earlier), and a two-card (instead of four-card) limit on cards with the same name affects things? Fair enough, but can you understand why some folks, like me, are curious about such things!

Take out one Tag Team-GX and you win! One regular Pokémon and one Pokémon-EX/GX and that's game. Want to use Professor Sycamore? Okay, but in a normal game, you begin with 47 cards left in your deck (46 after your opening draw for the turn). Here, your deck is only cards 20 cards (30 cards, less seven-card opening hand, less three Prizes). 19 after your opening draw. Use a Professor Sycamore and you're down to 12 cards! Again, if these things don't entice you... okay. ;)

It does affect things to an extent, and it can be an enjoyable thing to experiment with. But, I still like the longer matches where you still have time to set up and execute everything else that your gameplan thrives on.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 20 January 2019 - 02:30 AM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

20 January 2019 - 02:57 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

It isn't really just "your opinion" though.  An opinion is like "Chocolate is the best flavor!".  Our tastes can differ, so if you think vanilla is the best, it can be to you at the same time chocolate is to me.  This is a disagreement over what actually is: do the rules and rulings for a past format cease to be because that format is no longer used by Play! Pokémon?

Here's the beautiful thing, though: it is an opinion, because there is no answer.  Only TPCi can answer that question, and it doesn't seem their style to do it.  This becomes, then, a purely philosophical question, and like anything in philosophy, agreeing is far less important than having logical reasons behind your differences.

Edited by SuperStone, 20 January 2019 - 02:57 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

29 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

Kstalia

Rookie Trainer

• Kstalia
Hello! I haven't been playing for too long (about a month or so), but I wanted to write about my experience, because starting to play and getting opponents with massively powerful GX and EX cards was definitely frustrating for me too.

- Fight the AI, it's super easy (most of the time) and you get packs and coins from beating them.
- Daily challenges, hopefully against the AI, easy peasy, get's you points, coins, and sometimes packs.
- Get decks (the newer ones are better) from the store with the points you've earned.
- Fight in the Theme Tournaments, it's a leveled ground, I feel like it depends on the first draw most of the time, if you make it to the second round, you'll get a pack.
- Hopefully, in the packs that you've gotten you'll ****** a GX yourself, if you like it build a deck around it. I was lucky enough to get Zeraora GX, every deck I build is electric + something else, and it has worked pretty well. It has free retreat and I've taken down bench full of GX with it and 2nd stage pokemon.
- Eventually, you'll win enough packs in the tournaments to try your luck in the trading for specific pokemon. This is basically where I'm at right now, there's still a lot of poekmon that I don't have and I've stuck to opening my tradable pack myself just because there's always new ones anyway, but I have ideas for decks and not the right pokemon so I've also been checking out the trading scene for them.

29 January 2019 - 12:26 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Hello! I haven't been playing for too long (about a month or so), but I wanted to write about my experience, because starting to play and getting opponents with massively powerful GX and EX cards was definitely frustrating for me too.

<snip>

I enjoyed reading your take on the game, and your attitude about it, from a relatively newer player.

It just so happens that I have a spare Zeraora-GX if you want it.  I've sent you a friend request in the game.  If you accept my FR, and have any Pikachu "tagged" for trade, I'll send it to help you get started.

30 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

@Kstalia Good attitude and sound advice.  Sorry, no Zeraora-GX from me, though. ;) Good on RobRatt for being generous.  I might have something more valuable for you, in terms of advice.  First, a question:

Are you sure the game is letting you work on Daily Challenges against the AI?  I thought those could only be done when in ranked VS Mode, though you can do them in the Theme, Standard, or Expanded Formats (not sure about Legacy - takes so long to find an opponent XD).  I usually grind mine out in the Theme Format unless there isn't a good Theme Deck available for the job.

Okay, so here is the big advice:

Do not open packs you can trade, like the ones you win in tournaments!  How does that make any sense?  They're basically the in-game currency of the PTCGO.  Use tradeable packs and even Chests to "buy" (trade for) what you need.  It used to be easy to find price guides here, in the form of what certain trading groups were asking for particular cards, but now you'll have to search for them.  Once you get competent at grinding and trading, you should be able to assemble all but the priciest Standard Format decks.  Exactly how long depends on how much time you can spend grinding and trading, and exactly how much of the deck you need.

Pay attention to various Theme Decks as well; you can sometimes get important deck staples or heavily played cards from them, which saves you having to trade for them.  Better 500 Tokens on that than 2.5 booster packs, hoping for a lucky pull. ;)