Game is Completely Unbalanced

• Please log in to reply

30 April 2018 - 02:39 PM

TayTay1986

Rookie Trainer

• TayTay1986

so you are telling me as a new player, i have like 2 decks and you are ranking me in vs against people with GX cards with 180 HP against standard basic Pokemon...I have to back out or waste my time and get smoked... all the games i have played either i have blow someone out or they have demolished me. Please tell me how i am supposed to play this broken unbalanced games?

Edited by TayTay1986, 01 May 2018 - 08:33 PM.

30 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Hi, and welcome to the forums! Some meta-related frustration, as I see? First thing that I would like to say, it's GX cards, not DX. And second, Pokemon games, on console or TCG, are often won by a full sweep for one side or the other. One Hit K.O. (OHKO) are common at starter leagues, so as soon as you get a heavy attacker set up, these 60HP basics won't stand a chance.

I'm not an expert on beginner counseling, so I'll leave it to more experienced players. But I would like to advise you to buy 2 Mach Strike theme decks as soon as possible, and modify it. It's one of the most consistent deck that is relatively easy to get.

Good luck on the playmat!

Edited by Princess_Aurora, 30 April 2018 - 05:09 PM.

Friendship is magic!

01 May 2018 - 03:28 AM

CaptainWSS

Rookie Trainer

• CaptainWSS
I'm copy and pasting from another thread, I've found it frustrating, also. The most frustration I felt was with the "Mental Might" build in versus. I didn't know how to change to standard/extended or build my own deck so just kept playing with Mental Might. I faced penguin after penguin and dragon after dragon... My advice is get the penguin build (Imperial Command) if playing Theme games.  If you're building your own decks, what's below should be helpful since I don't use any GX's or other fancy pants stuff, and I've fought hard and taken down some of the best shiniest decks out there.

I think the best strategy is to do as much damage or draw as many cards as you can in as little a time as possible whilst removing from the enemy their ability  to move forward. Only putting one Energy on a turn means that any energies you remove are instrumental in either a quick resignation or a resounding defeat. 

I think also it's wise to concede if you can't think of any way out and have already used or wasted your supporters, or made a massive mistake. It will avoid frustration to say the least. There's nothing worse than someone spamming "Well played" and smiley face when you're drawing dead and know that you are (and they know it, too).

What makes you think you need the great big shinies to win? I've played only for four days, and I've been cracking skulls with this build:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Bouffalant BUS 108
* 2 Kangaskhan FCO 75
* 1 Oranguru UPR 114
* 1 Snorlax BKT 118
* 1 Tauros XY 100
* 1 Pikachu EVO 35
* 3 Pikachu BKT 48
* 2 Zapdos ROS 23
* 2 Raichu XY 43

##Trainer Cards - 24

* 2 Great Ball BCR 129
* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 1 Lass's Special FCO 103
* 2 Potion BCR 132
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
* 2 Escape Rope PRC 127
* 1 Heavy Ball NXD 88
* 1 Weakness Policy PRC 142
* 4 Hau SUM 120
* 2 Exp. Share PRC 128

##Energy - 22

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 18 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

If that doesn't tick your tock, I've been using a psychic build as well since it doesn't really have strong opposition or the weakness to physical that the last build has:

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Drowzee EVO 49
* 3 Gastly EVO 47
* 1 Phantump BKP 64
* 1 Seviper BUS 50
* 1 Skorupi BKP 53
* 1 Spiritomb UPR 53
* 1 Trubbish BKP 56
* 1 Trubbish GRI 50
* 1 Wobbuffet BUS 49
* 1 Drapion BKP 54
* 1 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Haunter BKT 59
* 1 Hypno BKP 51
* 1 Trevenant BKP 65
* 1 Gengar BKT 60

##Trainer Cards - 22

* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Big Malasada SUM 114
* 1 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Full Heal EVO 78
* 1 Great Ball XY 118
* 1 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 1 Peeking Red Card CIN 97
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138

##Energy - 20

* 20 Psychic Energy Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Then again, I know you didn't want crazy builds which are one trick ponies, but, teeehee! This one has surprised and angered all of my victims so far

I call it "Doctor Bees"

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Alolan Exeggutor UPR 95
* 1 Exeggcute UPR 1
* 4 Weedle EVO 5
* 4 Kakuna CIN 2
* 4 Beedrill EVO 7

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 3 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35
* 2 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Mars UPR 128
* 2 N DEX 96
* 4 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Town Map BCR 136
* 1 Chaos Tower FCO 94
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121

##Energy - 16

* 16 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

Hopefully you find some joy in these, as they're all surprisingly versatile (even the bee build has huge comeback potential if you can get over the idea of sacrificing a mulligan or two)

By the way... and this IS important... don't forget to pick "Yes" to going first in most cases unless you have a build for rushing and that first attack will win the game for you.

Edited by CaptainWSS, 01 May 2018 - 03:33 AM.

01 May 2018 - 03:57 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
If you can buy 2 Mach Strike, then you can try building this deck... Be warned... you're probably gonna see plenty of these in standard. And btw this is the super budget, not-so-good version (the good version uses the very expensive Lele, 1-2 breakpoint Garchomp and Rock Hiding Gible, among other things).

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Gible UPR 96
* 3 Gabite UPR 98
* 4 Garchomp UPR 99
* 2 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario UPR 67

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 N NVI 101
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 10

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 6 Fighting Energy Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

You can also add the Alolan Vulpix from Guardians Rising. If you take out Oranguru, replace Float Stones with Escape Boards

Edited by BowserLuigi, 01 May 2018 - 04:00 AM.

01 May 2018 - 04:14 AM

CaptainWSS

Rookie Trainer

• CaptainWSS

If you can buy 2 Mach Strike, then you can try building this deck... Be warned... you're probably gonna see plenty of these in standard. And btw this is the super budget, not-so-good version (the good version uses the very expensive Lele, 1-2 breakpoint Garchomp and Rock Hiding Gible, among other things).

That's a good build, but it's really boring to both play and play against! 

I would try to indicate that it's a losing build (for the sake of ego), but it's really not a losing build!

Evidenced by my failed (cough splutter) attempts to build a Fairy deck.

I'll smash it sooner or later. Just you wait.

01 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I would try to indicate that it's a losing build (for the sake of ego), but it's really not a losing build!

Good luck! I suggest that you start with improving your trainer lineup as I see that is kinda your weak point in your decks. For a start, get rid of all horrible cards such as Hau, Mars, Lass's Special, Potion, Poke Ball, Great Ball.......... ouch that's a lot! But yeah most cards in PTCG are useless sadly :(

Meta decks typically use these trainers instead. Amounts may vary slightly. Sycamore vs Cynthia depends on your deck and the number of copies of cards you have. If you have a healthy amount, you can go with more Sycamores. If not (or you're playing Modified Mach Strike), go with more Cynthias. Anyway it depends, though for safety you can go with more Cynthias.

3-4 Sycamore

3 N

3 Cynthia

3-4 Guzma

4 Ultra Ball

1-2 Field Blower

1-2 combination of rescue stretcher/super rod (again depends on the deck)

3-4 Choice Band/Fighting Fury Belt/combination

2-3 Float Stones

And the rest can be whatever that fits your deck. E.g. stadiums, maybe escape rope or town map. 

Also typically only around 12 energy are used. Sometime less, sometimes more. But not as many as 20 energies. Too many energies clutters up your deck, as you can only attach 1 per turn.

Take a look at these decks here. They are all expanded right now but they should give you some sort of idea: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2017/tcg-juniors/

Edited by BowserLuigi, 01 May 2018 - 04:47 AM.

01 May 2018 - 05:33 AM

CaptainWSS

Rookie Trainer

• CaptainWSS

Good luck! I suggest that you start with improving your trainer lineup as I see that is kinda your weak point in your decks. For a start, get rid of all horrible cards such as Hau, Mars, Lass's Special, Potion, Poke Ball, Great Ball.......... ouch that's a lot! But yeah most cards in PTCG are useless sadly :(

Aha! Yeah, I've noticed my trainers aren't perfect :o

When playing against Float Stones, I find that they're quite powerful for sure.

Indeed, what you say is true, but catching them all takes time, sir! Just look how many seasons Pokemon has had!

Then again, the original poster did ask for things to set him up for newbie matches, and at least the Pikachu deck can be built straight from the get-go or near enough.

Let's see if I can explain away why these are the way they are so you can at least see that they're used rationally!

* 2 Great Ball BCR 129 - I use this when I'm desperate for a Pokemon or soon to be desperate for a Pokemon. Since they're items and not supporters they can be used in conjunction.

* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92 - Obvious use. Threat diminishing or early-game bullying. Usually the latter if I have it.

* 1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138 - A choice between 20 damage and perhaps an early knockout or more cards if I'm starved.

* 1 Wally ROS 94 - Rushes an evolution.

* 1 Lass's Special FCO 103 - Actually really useful when I'm up against people who are doing what you suggest, such as having lots of those Ascension dinosaur dragons and struggling to pull a card without wanting to give away what's in my hand.

* 2 Potion BCR 132 - Delicious early-game, terrible 3 turns in. These have been added because sometimes within the game I've wanted a potion to allow for one more hit to tank someone out. Saves a prize card often enough to be useful.

* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128 - Epic item, would run 4 if I had 4.

* 2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95 - This is a bit of a meme, but it's useful in finishing off those guys who run away with 0 retreat cost, or use a float stone on the next turn.

* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129 - Same as Crushing Hammer without the coin toss, but can't target benched Pokemon.

* 1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94 - Brings out critters if I have drawn lots of evolutions.

* 2 Escape Rope PRC 127 - Defensive/Offensive use, the fact the enemy Switches first, it allows me to buy at least one round of time no matter what. (Unless they can switch me out, of course, in which case well played)

* 1 Heavy Ball NXD 88 - Brings out my Snorlax when I have a Zapdos start, keep in mind, the Zapdos hits the Snorlax *************** :) (makes me happeh) - Can also bring out the bull guy. Moo!

* 1 Weakness Policy PRC 142 - Fantastic for vs Fighting style.

* 4 Hau SUM 120 - Kind of like a mini Cynthia that doesn't get rid of what's in my hand. Half the time it's half as effective and half the time it's twice as effective, so it's similar in terms of effect. Then again, Cynthia is a better card without a doubt for Energy fishing. I cannot deny this. 6 > 3 any day!

* 2 Exp. Share PRC 128 - I do lose prize cards when I play quite frequently and this means critters die, instead of retreating them why not harvest?

Anyways, that's why I pick them in that particular way... I don't have a massive win rate with this deck (only 63%) but then again stuff like Alolan Raichu would help increase that by around 2-3%.

Well that's how it's constructed, with an emphasis on lots of energies (regular draw or more than enough per requirement) and lots of item trainers rather than supporter trainers and lots of turns, quickly rushing out Pokemon to the bench to finish the game quickly as possible because EX and GX pokemon wreck me past the 7th turn. I would probably put more Ethers in there.

01 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Well...I would need a computer to conveniently tell you why the above cards are seldom used. But basically it's all about maximizing consistency. Yes discarding the opponent's energy is nice and all but crushing hammer requires a coin flip, and flare grunt takes up your supporter for the turn. Any turn you use grunt, you aren't using cynthia, sycamore or N to draw more cards. Also all this fluff takes up space.

You need a very special deck to utilize grunts and crushing hammes effectively. A stall deck like Wailord Stall. They don't take any prize cards at all and focus on making the other guy deck out while running their resources dry.

Ultra Ball is used over great ball cuz it's more consistent. Why bet on the next six cards having the pokemon you need when you can guarantee to draw the aforementioned Pokemon with ultra ball? Yes ultra ball requires a discard but that's why you play multiple copies of your key cards so you can afford to discard some, and why you play the 'good' draw supporters. If you plau Hau, you only draw 3. Therefore, giving up 2 cards for ultra ball will seem like a horrible deal. But if you play Cynthia or Sycamore, which can potentially draw more, you can furiously dig through your deck, hopefully draw the cards you need more quickly, and also if you play ultra ball, THEN play cynthia/sycamore, you will instantly have access to a big, fresh hand. You ALWAYS want to play ultra balls over great balls. No exceptions.

Potion should never be played in a competitve sense, as it clutters up your deck and heals to little to matter. Catcher is not actually bad but everyone will play Guzma over it. Forcefully dragging out a pokemon is an extremely powerful effect but the coin flip from catcher makes it unreliable. Guzma eliminates that RNG factor and always does his job. The effect is strong enough to warrant it being your once-per-turn supporter.

Lass Special is bad for pretty much the same reason as Hau. Even with a full bench of basics it will not beat Sycamore. There's no point in including it when you can have cynthia, sycamore or N instead. Giovanni's Scheme is not that bad but people will often use Kukui instead. And no no one plays 4 Kukui.

Wally is also not bad but it's better to just dig through your deck with cynthia/sycamore/N and try to draw into your evolution card or an ultra ball. Playing 1-2 Wally makes it too unreliable, and playing 3-4 makes it clutter. Basically it competes with your one-per-turn supporter, and unlike Guzma the effect isn't strong enough.

Basically, focus on digging through your deck and setting up your board, rather than trying to annoy the opponent with grunts and hammers, and you'll win more often. And if you want to annoy, then look up Wailord stall or quad Hoopa.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 01 May 2018 - 07:50 AM.

01 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

TayTay1986

Rookie Trainer

• TayTay1986

thanks everyone

04 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

HouchinsDJ

Junior Trainer

• HouchinsDJ

As someone who has been playing for a good amount of time and play in competitive tournaments, I feel like I can give you some insight.

As a new player, I'm sure some of these GX cards look overpowered, but once you gain more experience and start using them yourself, you'll see that they're not unbeatable. The "meta" game, just like any other TCG, is focused on a small number of competitively viable decks. It does put players in a position of either playing these decks or putting themselves at a disadvantage. I'm not saying that you can't beat a "meta" deck with a rouge (a non-meta ) deck, but there's a reason that you see the same decks winning major tournaments. With that said, there's still a good amount of variety in the competitive scene. There's at least 10 (just a guess, I'm sure I could list them out for you) different archetypes that are considered competitively viable at the moment and we're getting a new set released today that adds a lot to the game.

With that said, I think building the Garchomp deck listed above is a great start if you're looking to break into the Standard format and want to build a deck that's a little more cost efficient and can still hold it's own.

08 May 2018 - 03:06 AM

gizmoverga

Rookie Trainer

• gizmoverga
Actually, the game is very balanced, I tipped my deck on a scale and neither side favored each other, very balanced

08 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Just a side remark... You have waayyyyy too many energies in your deck. 10 basics, 4 DCEs and a few elemental energies (Wonder Energy, Mystery Energy, Strong Energy etc...) are more than enough. I personally use 8 Basics, 4 DCEs and 2 Elementals.

Friendship is magic!