The state of PTCGO is terrible

• Please log in to reply

26 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Bluefgs85

Veteran Trainer

• Bluefgs85
I’m literally astounded by this game. I’ve been doing a little experiment to see how poor the matching system is. So i’ve played around 30 games with a non-GX Hoopa deck, the first few in anticipation of facing GX heavy decks given their obvious popularity (esp in the meta). So....how many did I play against? NONE. Not one. All sorts of weird non GX decks but zero GX heavy Zoroark decks. So I think, that’s a bit weird, maybe the game has changed......???? Next 20 games, one....one GX based deck. So I switch to a ZoroarkGX/LycanrocGX deck and the first deck I face.....ZoroarkGX/LucarioGX. Hahahaha

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME?

Come on PTCGO, this is not right at all. You can’t match players given the GX content of their decks....it’s absolutely pathetic. Which brings me to another point. The matching is supposed to be random but clearly it’s not. Not in any shape, way or form.

You desperately need to rethink this for the good of the game and it’s longevity. And you need a way to recreate the global meta game on this system because at present it’s massivley massively lacking and you should be ashamed.

26 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Bluefgs85

Veteran Trainer

• Bluefgs85
Back to Hoopa...
Oh here comes the Lucario/Garchomp deck

Am I missing something here? This is not right at all.

26 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

That weird ELO system...

I have to tell that popularity of Zoroark decks have decreased strongly. Buzzwole, Lycanroc and Lucario GX made it a bit nightmare. Also 3 to 4 Guzma in every deck, more that the 2 that were run before.

Last regionals are being dominated by Espeon/Garbo and Buzz/Lycan mainly. The Goli/Zoro, Garde/Zoro and others can still go far but not as before.

And a lot more Fighting is coming in next set!

On the other side, it would be weird that, so much people asking for a non GX/EX format so often, could be resolved just not playing GX strong decks and no one realised :lol:

So yes, the online seems to be kidding you because speed of matchmaking is over the equality of ranking. If not, you could be waiting 5, or 10, or 30 minutes to get a match and that would be a lot more boring.

Although Meta is ruled by some decks, don't care how high you are in ranking and how GX strong your deck is, game can always match your Buzz/Lycan or Lycan/Zoro against a Volcanion EX or Passimian deck, that you won't ever find in a competitive environment.

I trust you when you find awkward opponents but, we also have to believe that is not made on purpose but is like the ELO, the matchmaking and programming system works. And that's the Online itself.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

My 1st pokémon VGame http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/59894-my-1st-pok%C3%A9mon-videogame-nds-diamond-story-and-help/

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

26 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Bluefgs85

Veteran Trainer

• Bluefgs85
Hey Chasista, thanks for your great reply. I’m not being selfish here, I want the online game to reflect something as close as possible to a global meta game, and therefore it should be random, NOT MANAGED by an ELO.

Maybe PTCGO should offer different options for VERSUS games. That would probably help everyone, especially those who care about the ladder (I don’t but I understand the financial constraints it presents).

Ultimately the whole game could be run on-line, which would totally remove cheating......even bringing your deck in the cloud and playing P2P on iPads or whatever with comp shuffle. I love nice cards though

26 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

The title of this thread is correct but I disagree with the content. I don't think that the matchmaking deliberately punishes people. I do not major in programming but I believe that the codes responsible for matching people against decks that have an advantage should be quite complicated. If the devs spent so many hours on programming such codes just for their amusement and failed to improved so many aspects of this game that needs to be improved, I do not know what to say. 

26 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

Good players with strong decks want to face similar players, and newbies with few good cards don't want to face meta decks so some kind of ranking is a must.

Perhaps you dropped in ranking with a losing streak and just happened to face Zoroark-Lucario right when you switched decks ? At low ranks it's common to face weird non-GX decks and you'd occasionally face meta decks.

27 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

The only thing that bothers me is 99% of the time i face garchomp/lucario it bothers me a little bit not because how the deck works, most of the time i win against that deck but it turns boring facing the same deck over and over i just reached the point i concede when i see dragon and fighting type on the same deck. I get the deck is budget and people can afford it but some variety would be awesome.

27 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I want the online game to reflect something as close as possible to a global meta game, and therefore it should be random, NOT MANAGED by an ELO.

That sentence makes zero sense. If you want to play at a level where you face only meta decks (in order to seriously test for an event) then you need to play at the top ELO ranks.

The game is primarily played by casual players and if you went for random matchmaking, then the chances of you getting decent matches are in the single digits, percentage wise.

You face the same thing in real life tournaments. The meta of your local tournament can vary drastically from the rest of the world, due to personal preference / availability of cards. Likewise, the first two rounds of a larger tournament can feel a bit random, as players can bring any kind of weird brew to those events (for that reason I always make sure to grab 2 byes for any MtG Grand **** I attend, as facing that one weird dude, you goes 1-8, yet has the perfect deck to counter yours can ruin your entire day :D).

Edited by Felidae_, 27 April 2018 - 06:14 PM.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

27 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Basically agree with Felidae_ there.

To get to reasonable people playing meta decks, you have to cut through the wild trash first.

I find it easier to win on a high winsteak due to the people making decent plays that I am able to outplay.

Meanwhile facing random garbage can totally throw me off balance, especially when you overestimate your opponents and go defensive because you think they are up to something, when they actually they are not.

This way, there is kind of a rock-paper-scizors system in place.

Average players beat noobs. Good players beat average players. Noobs beat good players.

Using good old Mr.Elo is the right decision imho, keeping in-meta metagames seperated.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

28 April 2018 - 12:32 AM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

Erm, noobs don't beat good players with meta decks consistently.

Which meta deck doesn't have a 70+ winrate against low or mid-rank meta? (Passimian? Not exactly meta...)

It's good if you (and me!) overthink and are thrown off-balance: we're getting good training there ;)

I'm also getting the feeling "I was just beat by garbage" sometimes. But well, it beat me. Some of the middle-low rank decks are interesting, not overall strong, but can get you good if you don't see it coming!

Good experienced players see everything coming... They don't get tricked in their early tournaments match-ups.

28 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Erm, noobs don't beat good players with meta decks consistently.
Which meta deck doesn't have a 70+ winrate against low or mid-rank meta? (Passimian? Not exactly meta...)
It's good if you (and me!) overthink and are thrown off-balance: we're getting good training there ;)

I'm also getting the feeling "I was just beat by garbage" sometimes. But well, it beat me. Some of the middle-low rank decks are interesting, not overall strong, but can get you good if you don't see it coming!
Good experienced players see everything coming... They don't get tricked in their early tournaments match-ups.

If I'm 'beaten by garbage', it kinda means I couldn't top deck any draws for an extended period of time. I find it quite impossible for 'garbage' to beat me if I get to furiously dig through my entire deck the whole time.

Unless there is a different definition for garbage I'm not aware of.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 28 April 2018 - 01:52 PM.

28 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

I find it quite impossible for 'garbage' to beat me if I get to furiously dig through my entire deck the whole time.

Chances are you run into a mill deck (just for example), draw your 40 cards turn1 and then get milled to death.

Garbage doesnt mean the deck is bad, just pretty off-meta.

Their decks may be designed to just counter whatever your deck is, and badly lose to all other matchups.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

28 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

That weird ELO system...

I have to tell that popularity of Zoroark decks have decreased strongly. Buzzwole, Lycanroc and Lucario GX made it a bit nightmare. Also 3 to 4 Guzma in every deck, more that the 2 that were run before.

Last regionals are being dominated by Espeon/Garbo and Buzz/Lycan mainly. The Goli/Zoro, Garde/Zoro and others can still go far but not as before.

And a lot more Fighting is coming in next set!

On the other side, it would be weird that, so much people asking for a non GX/EX format so often, could be resolved just not playing GX strong decks and no one realised :lol:

So yes, the online seems to be kidding you because speed of matchmaking is over the equality of ranking. If not, you could be waiting 5, or 10, or 30 minutes to get a match and that would be a lot more boring.

Although Meta is ruled by some decks, don't care how high you are in ranking and how GX strong your deck is, game can always match your Buzz/Lycan or Lycan/Zoro against a Volcanion EX or Passimian deck, that you won't ever find in a competitive environment.

I trust you when you find awkward opponents but, we also have to believe that is not made on purpose but is like the ELO, the matchmaking and programming system works. And that's the Online itself.

One Turn Acceleration Decks and Zoroark -GX has not decreased, it increased. These kinds of decks are abusive and toxic to TCG.

The Matchmaking system is far one sided if win you more likely will keep winning
and if you lose you will more lieky to keep losing regardless deck.,,,,,,the old matchmaking system was better and more open to balanced for matching up players.

Once again those "winners" want to keep winning suggested something one sided and blasted the forums back then...

Edited by sterlingW, 28 April 2018 - 09:21 PM.

Pokemon Trading Card Online Early Closed Beta Tester

Pokemon Trading Card  Favorite Game Style : Unlimited Format

From Pokemon TCGO (Flash Player) Beta Test to Pokemon TCGO (Unity 3D) Beta Test