Personal Deck "Blacklist"

• Please log in to reply

24 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

KevsVlar

Rookie Trainer

• KevsVlar

Hi everybody. I'm new in here, so I hope I'm posting in the proper place. :P

Well, I'm just asking if it's possible to implement some personal deck "blacklist" system in-game, and the reason is mainly because it gets boring when you're playing against the same decks every time, it's like you're playing the same game over and over and over again, and since everyone seems to taking the same decks it discourages other players to choose other decks, turning this into a "vicious circle".

So my suggestion is the following: A player may choose to not play with AND against some decks, as a personal 'blacklist' (in a checklist or whatever other mechanism you prefer). For instance, since currently, the most chosen decks are the 2 newest ones (the water/ice deck and the fighting/garchomp deck (I don't remember the names, but everyone here will certainly know what I'm talking about)), one may choose not play with-and-against those decks. I know it would involve some disadvantages, like maybe an increase in time waiting before searching an opponent, but it would also involve advantages, like less boredom/monotony and more diversity in decks and strategy, bringing back the real 'randomness' the game should have.

Greetings and thank you for reading. :)

24 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Interesting idea.  They certainly need to look for some solution.  I wouldn't "cross your fingers" too tightly on being able to ban everything that beats you though.

I actually like the direction of the latest Theme Decks, including most from the Sun & Moon era.   They have mechanisms in them worth playing.  And no "dead" evolutions (where you have the Basics, but not the Stage Ones).  You usually have 2 of the main Attacker, rather than one like the old decks had.  Once they come out with a few more (say, in 2 or 3 more sets), it will actually be fun to play Theme Decks.

The problem really centers on how terribly the earlier decks were designed.  They just can't stack up to the latest ones.  Let's hope they either (1) come up with internal (in-game) decks that level the playing field, or (2) match S&M decks with each other, and earlier decks vs. earlier decks.  It's totally unfair right now, and VERY boring to play against the same decks repeatedly.

Edited by RobRatt, 25 April 2018 - 07:50 PM.

25 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I understand that it might be annoying for you to pIay against certain decks constantly but if this would be implemented,some people would probably put all the top tier decks in their blacklist and start trolling newbies. 

25 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello KevsVlar,

Thank you for sharing that suggestion! I have passed this idea along for further review. 

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

27 April 2018 - 12:46 AM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

In Versus Mode, this idea sounds feasible...

In Events... eh, not so much...

Versus is like real-life Leagues: You can choose format, but currently, unlike leagues, which allow you to choose who battle with for fun, you can't choose foe, although a blacklist could be feasible for next update or so to tell the matchmaking RNG who to ignore and who to listen to in terms of who you will battle for Versus points and streak building...

Events... well, the RNG picks a player for you in the first round(then your second and third round foes are determined by the outcome of other matches) and you're stuck w/ said player until after you battle him/her, or after someone scoops among the two players involved, meaning if you dislike the deck your opponent uses, too bad: You have to try battling w/ said player, and the blacklist can't save you there...

^ Maybe in the future, if the other players on your side of bracket use a disliked deck, maybe a new mechanism can be implemented in which the player that dislikes their foes' decks can be transferred to the other side of the bracket if it has more players using decks that he/she does not dislike than that of the side he/she was transferred from. Until then...

Edited by Jammer87, 27 April 2018 - 12:56 AM.

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

27 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Mod_Gunning

Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi Jammer87,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you in the future!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

30 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

CaptainWSS

Rookie Trainer

• CaptainWSS

I'm new to the game as well [check], came on here with the intention of complaining about some of the decks [check], found this thread [check], suggestion following [check]

I don't believe that being able to blacklist decks is a good idea. It would be much nicer if we could buff the weaker decks. 

IE. Removing Hoothoot from Mental Might, adding two energies, and replacing Mental Might's "coin toss" draw 3 card trainers with straightforward draw 3 cards or an evolution coin toss.

The deck is now a bit more competitive and far less punishing. It still probably wouldn't stand up to Imperial Command or that horrid Dragon Deck, but it would win more often than it does right now because it would be failing less often due to random chance.

30 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I'm new to the game as well [check], came on here with the intention of complaining about some of the decks [check], found this thread [check], suggestion following [check]

I don't believe that being able to blacklist decks is a good idea. It would be much nicer if we could buff the weaker decks. 

IE. Removing Hoothoot from Mental Might, adding two energies, and replacing Mental Might's "coin toss" draw 3 card trainers with straightforward draw 3 cards or an evolution coin toss.

The deck is now a bit more competitive and far less punishing. It still probably wouldn't stand up to Imperial Command or that horrid Dragon Deck, but it would win more often than it does right now because it would be failing less often due to random chance.

Some of the theme decks CAN be modified, but only if the company decides they need re-balancing. I say this because it has been done before.

The ones that can be changed are the online-exclusive ones that you are given rather than the purchasable ones, and Mental Might is one of them.

To date, they've only done this to weaken decks though, not to make them better. In fact, the decks they made weaker (because they were too strong)  are no longer competitive, and they haven't restored them to their stronger state.

Because they are Theme decks, playable in the Theme format, players cannot be allowed to make any edits to them themselves, as that would violate the format.

You can, however, copy the deck and edit the copy, which you can then use to lose matches in Standard or Expanded. :D

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

13 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

gizmoverga

Rookie Trainer

• gizmoverga
I only have limited time but want to provide my input.

To blacklist certain theme decks and cherry pick which decks you play against is less fair than grinding through repeated ultra prism decks. The only way that should work is if you want to cherry pick, you should not be able to earn points for any challenge or anything through the store, simply turns the game into exhibition mode.

One idea to curb playing the same deck, is in theme, each user cannot use the same deck twice in a row. Example, they can play Mach Strike one game, next game they have to choose a different deck. If they want to concede their second match to quickly get back to Mach strike, it's fine, but it kills their win streak, assuming they won the first game.

15 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

There are lots of good replies here! It’s always nice to see the community helping each other!

Moderator Rowan

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

18 May 2018 - 03:17 AM

Xi_of_SCS

Trainer

• Xi_of_SCS

Can we have rotating blacklist events? So each day there is one standard tourny which doesn't allow say Water pokes and the next day it doesn't allow Fighting pokes then at the end there's no EX or GX and then it repeats all over.

19 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Can we have rotating blacklist events? So each day there is one standard tourny which doesn't allow say Water pokes and the next day it doesn't allow Fighting pokes then at the end there's no EX or GX and then it repeats all over.

Hello Xi_of_SCS,

I have passed this suggestion along!

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!