How about an alternative format: Non-GX/EX for ladder

• Please log in to reply

23 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

DarthMalyin

Rookie Trainer

• DarthMalyin

Good day trainers!  After watching a number of online broadcasters enjoying fan battles trying their best to make sub-optimal/non-meta-decks work against one another, I thought it could be an easy thing for the developers to implement on PTCGO. Why not have an offshoot of Standard ladder that is a non-GX/EX/(maybe even break) card format where GX/EX/break cards are not legal. Add another option on the pull down and let folks try out totally new deck ideas that would normally never see the light of day. Or have this alternate format be more dynamic, with regular card bans (again, with the idea of forcing this alternate meta towards new deck ideas, so main GX/EX cards are banned (or even normal pokemon that might be too good), but challenged GX or EX cards are not - those that never see play anyway). All in all - would allow for an alternate format for diverse deck creation, new demand for cards not previously in demand, and a separate entry point for new players that can't afford the price of big trades. While it would take a bit of development, the bones of the software are probably already there, and it would bring a new dynamic to the game! Thanks for considering!

23 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
While not a new suggestion, such a format is highly unlikely to happen. The reason is simply because no matter how many cards you ban, there will still be decks that outperform others. Also banning EX/GX is not a solution to anything. First, there are decks focusing on non-GX that can reasonably take on EX/GX-centric decks. Second, even if you ban all the 'good' EX/GX and perhaps by extension all the 'good' cards like Night March, Greninja BREAK and Rainbow Force Xerneas, previously not-so-good cards will become the new 'good' cards and this whole fiasco starts all over again.

For those wanting to try out unorthorox (but hopefully playable) decks, they just have to accept the fact that those decks will likely lose more often than established meta decks.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 23 April 2018 - 12:21 PM.

23 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

A non-EX/GX format in the current Standard would most likely be Garchomp vs Greninja and maybe Garbodor and Wobb stall/mill. Expanded Night March vs Garbodor variants vs Greninja and maybe Durant mill and Donphan/Robo Substitue/Wobb. Don't really see the point.

Edited by Toklopo, 23 April 2018 - 12:34 PM.

23 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello DarthMalyin,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us! I have passed your idea along to the correct department for further review.

Thanks!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

25 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

TimeComa

Novice Trainer

• TimeComa

I agree to an extent, I would love to see an Evolution type mode where ex and gx are not permitted so players can focus on the evolving aspect of the game rather than single card high damage cards that well, honestly in my opinion have ruined the whole concept of pokemon. Now it's gx/ex double energy, game over. I miss the old days where it was a race to eveolve your pokemon, am i the only one who feels this way, maybe, i don't know.

02 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Nitron2097

Rookie Trainer

• Nitron2097

x

Edited by Nitron2097, 18 May 2018 - 12:21 AM.