Bug? Turtonator GX vs M. Pigeot EX

• Please log in to reply

18 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

squibix

Rookie Trainer

• squibix

Playing against a Mega Pigeot EX deck (there's something you don't see every day!) I was surprised to see that Mega Pigeot avoided being damaged when attacking into a shell trap. I imagine it's the fact that Turtonator is forced to retreat that makes it happen that way... but is that really correct behavior?! It's certainly not how I'd read the attack descriptions.

I have the game log if that would be helpful.

18 April 2018 - 10:41 PM

XK920XK

Senior Trainer

• XK920XK

That is correct, anytime your active pokemon is moved onto bench any status and or effect is removed as well.

18 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

squibix

Rookie Trainer

• squibix

So interesting, thanks! As I said, that's not how I read the Turtonator attack text, but it wouldn't be the first time my interpretation differed from the official rules. Also, now I know how to spell Pidgeot!

19 April 2018 - 12:01 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Hold it, though.  The damage is done before turt switches- so the effect should still go off.  I couldn't find an official ruling on this (I'm sure there is one, but I have no idea what to search for), but I would guess this is a bug.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

19 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Remember things like Rock guard and Rocky helmet not damaging Accelgor (D Expl 11) because Accelgor leaves.

So it's probably the same, a matter of order. Accelgor attacks and places its effect, so leaves. Then it's the counter part, the damage of the tool. Oh wait, the attacker is not there anymore. Nothing to damage then.

M Pidgeot is under Shell trap. Attack and effect immediate asks for the retreat. When retreat, still damage counters not applied, would be the next. But once retreat, effect is gone so not damaging.

I agree though that the wording cause confusion but I think that's the way TPCi makes it work.

Edited by Chasista, 19 April 2018 - 12:46 AM.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

My 1st pokémon VGame http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/59894-my-1st-pok%C3%A9mon-videogame-nds-diamond-story-and-help/

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

19 April 2018 - 02:04 AM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Yes, the effects of the attack are resolved *before* the effect of Shell Trap.

There's a similar ruling with Shell Trap's interaction with Tapu Wilderness GX.

Q. Say my opponent used Turtonator GX's "Shell Trap" attack last turn, then on my turn I attack it with Tapu Bulu GX's "Tapu Wilderness GX" attack. Does "Shell Trap" place its damage counters before or after the healing part of "Tapu Wilderness GX"?
A. Tapu Wilderness GX heals Tapu Bulu GX as part of its attack before the damage counters are placed for Shell Trap's effect. So in the end Tapu Bulu GX will have 8 damage counters on it. (Jun 8, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

19 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Remember things like Rock guard and Rocky helmet not damaging Accelgor (D Expl 11) because Accelgor leaves.

So it's probably the same, a matter of order. Accelgor attacks and places its effect, so leaves. Then it's the counter part, the damage of the tool. Oh wait, the attacker is not there anymore. Nothing to damage then.

M Pidgeot is under Shell trap. Attack and effect immediate asks for the retreat. When retreat, still damage counters not applied, would be the next. But once retreat, effect is gone so not damaging.

I agree though that the wording cause confusion but I think that's the way TPCi makes it work.

Hello there Chasista, 

I'm sorry to hear that the attack description wording seems to be confusing.

I'm passing your feedback to the developers for their review. 

We love feedback!  :cool:

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

19 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

squibix

Rookie Trainer

• squibix

Yeah haha, that happened to me yesterday too, and that isn't how it went down. Tapu Bulu with 30hp left attacked into shell trap and knocked out Turtonator with Tapu wilderness. Tapu Bulu turned sideways to show it was knocked out, then the healing kicked in and it came back to life with full hp. Is that a bug?

19 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Yeah haha, that happened to me yesterday too, and that isn't how it went down. Tapu Bulu with 30hp left attacked into shell trap and knocked out Turtonator with Tapu wilderness. Tapu Bulu turned sideways to show it was knocked out, then the healing kicked in and it came back to life with full hp. Is that a bug?

Yes, that attack is bugged, but I'm not sure the devs have acknowledged it.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

19 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

A Tapu Bulu pulling off a ressurection stunt? That sounds pretty neat!

Friendship is magic!

20 April 2018 - 02:04 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

A Tapu Bulu pulling off a ressurection stunt? That sounds pretty neat!

Well, I mean, it does represent fertility.  I guess one life force can be interchanged with another?

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

20 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Yes, that attack is bugged, but I'm not sure the devs have acknowledged it.

Is that really how it works though? If Tapu Wilderness went off Bulu would be alive anyway. Is the healing supposed to be ignored, even after damage is done?

Edited by BowserLuigi, 20 April 2018 - 04:20 AM.

20 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I see bug.

As part of the order of events, based on the above mentioned tools not damaging...

Tapu Bulu hits GX for 150, KOs Turtonator, then place its effect, full healing. After that, even if Turtonator is KOed, place 8 damage counters on Bulu. So the Shell trap still acting even if Turtonator is not there anymore. But only if, as stated in Turtonator attack, the Attacking pokémon is still there  Not  in PLB Donphan, not in DEX Accelgor... but Yes on Tapu bulu.

Imo should place the 8 damage counters on Bulu after full healing, and also should place it on M Pidgeot because if can do it from discard (even if KOed) retreating Turto to bench should not avoid the Shell trap effect either.

But it depends on events order.

Bulu damage 150, full healing, Turto KO, put counters. => Bulu stands with 8 counters.

Bulu damage 150, Turto KO, Bulu full healing, Turto put counters => Bulu stands with 8 counters

Bulu damage 150, Turto KO. Then place 8 counters = Bulu is KOed. No possibility of healing as is KOed.

but also...

Bulu damage 150, Turto KO. Then place 8 counters, then Bulu heals, then Bulu KO... wait, he healed in between counters and KO and last was healing so stay full heal.

Etcetera...

To me, logic is first,

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

My 1st pokémon VGame http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/59894-my-1st-pok%C3%A9mon-videogame-nds-diamond-story-and-help/

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista