[CARD] Captivating Poké Puff (STS #99) - Ruling concerning Captivating PokePuff

• Please log in to reply

16 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

ReadingH

Rookie Trainer

• ReadingH
So when I was checking some ruling question on the compendium (http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html), I stumbled across the ruling of Captivating PokePuff, which said you can't play PokePuff when your opponent's bench is full.

Q. Can you play Captivating Poke Puff if your opponent's Bench is full?

A. No. It’s public knowledge that you can’t put down any additional Basic Pokemon on your opponent’s Bench, so you cannot play the card. (Aug 11, 2016 TPCi Rules Team; Aug 3, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

However, in TCGO I am able to play it even my opponent's bench is full, so I send a ticket to ask whether this is a bug, and the TCGO team replied that this is worked as intended.

Thanks for your patience as we reviewed your inquiry! We apologize for any confusion this has caused, but we're happy to clarify that this is working as intended. The text for the card does not stipulate or imply that it cannot be played, and we're sorry for any frustration you've incurred from the unofficial resource previously linked. When Captivating Poke Puff is played while the opponent's bench is full, no Basic Pokémon can be put onto their bench, so you would be prompted with "You can't select any Pokémon because your opponent's Bench is full." and have no option other than to select Done to end the action.

So does this implies that the Compendium is false?

Edited by ReadingH, 16 April 2018 - 05:46 AM.

16 April 2018 - 07:30 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

If it's "public knowledge" that a card will have no effect, you can't play that card.  The Compendium is right, unless it's amended.  When the opponent's Bench is full, if they programmed the game correctly, you wouldn't be able to select Captivating Poke Puff at all -- much like you can't select a second Energy per turn.

I'm surprised that whoever replied called the Compendium, "the unofficial resource previously linked," considering it's been the standard for over fifteen years at all Tournaments, and this ruling came from "TPCi Rules Team" which sounds pretty official to me.

But in all honesty, this is one of those situations that would have you scratching your head if you were asked during a match.  It's a paradox.  Without an official reference, I could see it going either way.

Captivating Poke Puff >> Your opponent reveals his or her hand.  Put any number of Basic Pokémon you find there onto your opponent's Bench.

Even if their Bench was full, would your opponent still have to "reveal his or her hand," which is also part of the card's wording?

See what I mean?  Being able to check out your opponent's hand can often be enough of a reason alone to play that card.  You don't actually have to choose any Basic Pokémon (any number, can be zero), and maybe just want a look-see.  That would, or could, confuse anyone.  Or maybe I'm just easily confused. ;)

Edited by RobRatt, 16 April 2018 - 08:50 AM.

16 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

The ruling (that you could play it with opponent's bench full) was actually reversed last August, a year after it's release.  I think the old ruling should have stayed, but maybe the English translation didn't convey the intent of the Japanese version.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

17 April 2018 - 12:58 AM

ReadingH

Rookie Trainer

• ReadingH

If it's "public knowledge" that a card will have no effect, you can't play that card.  The Compendium is right, unless it's amended.  When the opponent's Bench is full, if they programmed the game correctly, you wouldn't be able to select Captivating Poke Puff at all -- much like you can't select a second Energy per turn.

I'm surprised that whoever replied called the Compendium, "the unofficial resource previously linked," considering it's been the standard for over fifteen years at all Tournaments, and this ruling came from "TPCi Rules Team" which sounds pretty official to me.

But in all honesty, this is one of those situations that would have you scratching your head if you were asked during a match.  It's a paradox.  Without an official reference, I could see it going either way.

Captivating Poke Puff >> Your opponent reveals his or her hand.  Put any number of Basic Pokémon you find there onto your opponent's Bench.

Even if their Bench was full, would your opponent still have to "reveal his or her hand," which is also part of the card's wording?

See what I mean?  Being able to check out your opponent's hand can often be enough of a reason alone to play that card.  You don't actually have to choose any Basic Pokémon (any number, can be zero), and maybe just want a look-see.  That would, or could, confuse anyone.  Or maybe I'm just easily confused. ;)

Thank you very much! I am very confused as well, I hope someone from the online support team could answer this question here.

The ruling (that you could play it with opponent's bench full) was actually reversed last August, a year after it's release.  I think the old ruling should have stayed, but maybe the English translation didn't convey the intent of the Japanese version.

So does that mean I can't play it anymore? or it is reversed?

17 April 2018 - 01:35 AM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

The official ruling that you quoted is the current ruling, so this is a bug in the game.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

17 April 2018 - 04:33 AM

ReadingH

Rookie Trainer

• ReadingH

The official ruling that you quoted is the current ruling, so this is a bug in the game.

Thank you very much, is there way I can notify the online support team? Or should I submit another ticket?

20 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi ReadingH,

Please give us a detailed description of your concern and we will pass it along. Or If you click the link in my signature and select the "Ask a Question" option you will be able to open a ticket. Hope that helps!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

22 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Trainers,

I have updated the title of this thread to match the format used by this subforum.

Thanks!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

05 May 2018 - 02:51 AM

ReadingH

Rookie Trainer

• ReadingH

Hi ReadingH,

Please give us a detailed description of your concern and we will pass it along. Or If you click the link in my signature and select the "Ask a Question" option you will be able to open a ticket. Hope that helps!

As a short summary, Captivating Pokepuff should not be able to use when your opponent's bench is full according to the ruling compendium, which follows the discussion above it has been the official ruling document for the past 15 years.

06 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

I don't understand this ruling, since there's still the effect of revealing the hand.

The only case this card would be played without effects is when the opponent has no cards in his hand.

07 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

ReadingH

Rookie Trainer

• ReadingH

I don't understand this ruling, since there's still the effect of revealing the hand.

The only case this card would be played without effects is when the opponent has no cards in his hand.

I do agree, but unless compendium made a really big mistake, this should be the current ruling