[GAME] Charizard EX exploit

Cards Versus Mode PC

• Please log in to reply

05 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

EmilRaichu

Rookie Trainer

• EmilRaichu

An opponent in versus mode used Charizard EX's Combustion Blast against me two turns in a row, even though that attack explicitly states that: "This Pokemon can't use Combustion Blast during your next turn".

Pretty sure it was the Illus. Planeta 12/116 card. (Sadly, I did not record the fight).

The way he did it was to use a Float stone on the Charizard EX in combination with Guzma, in order to retreat the Charizard EX that had just attacked using Combustion Blast the turn before, and then switch the Charizard EX back in using Guzma. To my complete surprise, this allowed him to use Combustion Blast again for a second turn in a row!

This, to my mind, must be categorized as an unlawful exploit - and hence a bug.

05 April 2018 - 10:18 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

It is not an exploitable bug. Retreating the pokemon resets the attack. Many decks use this strategy (e.g. volcanion/keldeo, lapras/keldeo etc.). 

05 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

Jigglypuffan

Expert Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

When a pokemon get retreated, the effect on this pokemon doesn't remain.. Same thing if it wrote , your opponent active pokemon can't attack , if you retreat, you can attack..

I'm not good to explain , but basically its something like that.. I give you a fast answer, but probably someone else will reply later and explain it better.

05 April 2018 - 11:20 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

The official ruling, since the beginning...

Q. Does benching ALWAYS 'reset' the Pokémon completely?

A. Benching always reset attack effects. (April 13, 2000 WotC Chat Q43)

In a way, you should be thankful to have seen a Charizard deck that actually wins.  For so many years and different sets, that beast makes you look twice, but ultimately fails.  :)

Edited by RobRatt, 05 April 2018 - 11:38 PM.

06 April 2018 - 01:57 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

The official ruling, since the beginning...

In a way, you should be thankful to have seen a Charizard deck that actually wins.  For so many years and different sets, that beast makes you look twice, but ultimately fails.  :)

Combustion Blast Zard is the most successful zard to date. Though I think it had only been a fire tech.

Of course, there's not much reason to use zard when ho-oh exists

06 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

Thanks everyone for helping to explain the situation, you are the best!

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

06 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

It is not an exploitable bug. Retreating the pokemon resets the attack. Many decks use this strategy (e.g. volcanion/keldeo, lapras/keldeo etc.). 

Hello there Sadra, 

Totally agree with you, it's rather a deck strategy than a real bug. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!  ;)

I've also edited the title of this thread to match the format used in this subforum.

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cards, Versus Mode, PC