Sableye-Raichu: because there weren't enough stall decks already. :p

• Please log in to reply

01 April 2018 - 12:33 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Yo. :)  It's another wacky-deck day, and I think this one has an actual competitive chance.  I'm sure some of you have seen those Raichu lock decks that have been going around- paired with Heatmor in Standard to get Devo Spray back, and occasionally in Expanded with Sentinal Stoutland to stop supporters (mostly Guzma), pickup Lillipup to get devo spray back, and Celebi-EX so evolved stoutland can use pickup.

And I'm sure some of you remember those Sableye/Garbs stall decks from 2013 Worlds, and Expanded format up through 2016.  The ones that started using Trick Shovel to mill you out.

See where this is heading yet? :P

Anyways, I got to thinking, “What happens… If I combine  them?”  And so this deck

Spoiler

was born.  Raichu stalls; sableye recycles; Goodra stops garbs, eskate escape boards, and occasionally KOs.  Everything else exists to keep the lock going.  (Some of my card choices are credit to Ross.)  This deck sacrifices that downright game-ending support lock for increased consistency, a faster end to the game, and more reliable victory.

Thoughts? :)

Edited by SuperStone, 01 April 2018 - 12:34 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

01 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

How much do you dislike your opponents ?

Because, if you really really really dislike them, then this might be for you:

Spoiler

Some general notes:

Battle Compressor is insane in conjunction with Sable Eye. The same is obviously true for Puzzle of Time.

Hex Maniac might seem a bit odd, but given that you can always play it after you evolved your Raichu we get a nice tool to stop the likes of Zoroark GX, Keldeo EX, etc.

Note also that Hex Maniac is probably the card that will be the most troublesome for you, hence I added Red Card, Ghetsis and Hammer to attack the opponent in other areas, in order to prevent them from recycling Maniac endlessly.

Life Dew over Comp. Search, for obvious reasons.

I also tweaked the numbers on certain cards a bit. With Puzzle of Time and Battle Compressor you don't really lose in terms of consistency and have the added bonus to be able to play more situational cards. Gladion is a bit of a trolly choice tbh, but since you can't take price cards I figured he might come in handy from time to time.

You can swap Karen for Lysandre, Deliquent or Guzma, in order to fight Trevenant.

Personally I don't think that Raichu is currently is a good spot, simply because Guzma and Hex Manaic are everywhere, alongside with plenty tools to recycle them. However, if the lock works you'' earn yourself a lot of angry red faces from your opponents :D.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

03 April 2018 - 03:15 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Battle Compressor is an interesting idea; I'll definitely look into it.  Gladion is going in without question; bad prizes can easily lose this deck games.  I don't know about the rest of the things you brought up, though.  Life Dew could be useful, but without Goodra, there are just so many auto-losses.  I don't think we'd have a fighting chance.  And Red Card is just plain evil. :P

It's true that Guzma/seeker is this deck's bane, and that's why the raichu decks that have been successful so far have ran stoutland.  However, that requires extraordinarily careful play in the opening turns, and conservation of shuffle supporters throughout the game (and owning beaches!), or you'll just mill yourself first.  And that just doesn't seem fun to me.  So I'm using this, and basically saying, "Go ahead; knock out a few pokemon.  I'll bet you I can get them back before your next Guzma."  Sometimes it works, and the Shovel discs really help with that.  Sometimes it doesn't.  But it's the only way I've though of to not need Sentinel.

Edited by SuperStone, 03 April 2018 - 03:16 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

03 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Goodra feels way to clunky for my taste. Relying on a 2-1 line that requires you to run Rare Candy ( a card that is 100% dead in every other situation) to shut down the likes of Garbodor, even though you could achieve the same result with Field Blower is beyond me.

Given that Gabo can always just go Hex and then attach their Tool, regardless of Goodra.

As for milling yourself: I've been playing Sableeye in Expanded and Legacy quite often, always playing 2 Super Rod (or in this case 1 Rod and 1 Strecher) and never even came close to milling myself. Note though that the last 10+ turns relying on this can be a bit tedious, as most opponents I've encountered are too stubborn to give up, even though their deck slowsly burns away, while yours will roughly stay the same.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

03 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Well, that does sound like a pretty evil deck... Just to know if I'm on the safe side, does this deck take care of Flower Shield Comfey? Or does Comfey shut the deck down?

Friendship is magic!

03 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Well, that does sound like a pretty evil deck... Just to know if I'm on the safe side, does this deck take care of Flower Shield Comfey? Or does Comfey shut the deck down?

That would be seriously annoying, but with enough Guzma plays, we might be able to stall them out.  We might even try to attack with Lele if they're good at retreating.

The thing with all Rogue decks, is that they have hard losses.  For even the most competitive of them, there is somewhere already a competitive deck that hard counters them.  So to succeed, you just have to tech for the most common match-ups and hope you don't run into the rest.  And as I rarely run into that comfey, I'm not very worried about it.