Tropical Beach

• Please log in to reply

31 March 2018 - 02:01 AM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Hi! I’ve come across two copies of Tropical Beach 2011, and it’s one of my favourite cards because of the artwork featuring Unova starters. However, I’m not really sure what to do with them. I’ve tried them in my modified Gardevoir-GX deck, and they are pretty interesting if I draw them on first turn.

Any advice on how to use these? Except trading, of course.

Friendship is magic!

31 March 2018 - 02:35 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Give them to me for free!  :cool: 

In seriousness, though, here are some decks that use Beach: 

• Primal Groudon
  • Shock Lock
  • Legacy blastoise decks
  • Some Whales decks
  • Any Legacy deck with stage 2s or big attack costs, really.

​There are probably others I'm forgetting, but Groudon is by far the most famous for being tropical.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

31 March 2018 - 02:46 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Like the Tropical Wind promo that was given at previous Worlds, this card was not meant to be competitively viable.  It's one of many "crazy" cards that were supposed to be fun, but not overtly useful.  They made a slight mistake with Tropical Beach, and decks that (1) didn't need to Attack for several turns, or (2) that didn't run Energy, etc. could actually use it.  If you want to build a deck -- outside of the popular decks running it -- you may need to think of an unusual gimmick.

BTW, Tropical Wind....

Flip a coin.  If heads, remove 2 damage counters from each Active Pokemon (remove 1 damage counter if a Pokemon only has 1).  If tails, each Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

31 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Give them to me for free!  :cool: 

In seriousness, though, here are some decks that use Beach: 

• Primal Groudon
  • Shock Lock
  • Legacy blastoise decks
  • Some Whales decks
  • Any Legacy deck with stage 2s or big attack costs, really.

​There are probably others I'm forgetting, but Groudon is by far the most famous for being tropical.

You forgot TrevGor and American Gothic, although both decks follow the same strategy.

31 March 2018 - 04:30 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

Congratulations on the Tropical Beaches! The 2011 Beaches are definitely the best ones too! 

Others have already listed a bunch of good decks that make use of Tropical Beach, but I would point out that most of them play a full playset rather than 2 copies. In my opinion the best deck you could build with your 2 Beaches would be Empoleon/Dusknoir in Legacy. That deck usually runs 3 copies but you could get away with 2. Since you already have the Beaches (and the Computer Search?) it shouldn't be too difficult to acquire the other pieces, especially once they put packs from all the legacy sets in the shop. It's one of the best decks in the format and is quite fun to play. 

As you've already realized, Tropical Beach is most useful in the early turns, unless you're running a deck like Wailord that doesn't attack. They will serve some purpose in nearly any expanded/legacy deck that takes time to get set up and doesn't normally attack on the first few turns. Gardevoir in expanded can certainly benefit from Beach to help its set up and you should try and refine your list to get the maximum use out of the Beaches. Try playing at least one or two Skylas to give yourself a better chance of being able to play Beach on your opening turn. Anyway, have fun experimenting, I'm sure you will be able to build many interesting decks with them!

31 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Gardevoir in expanded can certainly benefit from Beach to help its set up and you should try and refine your list to get the maximum use out of the Beaches. Try playing at least one or two Skylas to give yourself a better chance of being able to play Beach on your opening turn. Anyway, have fun experimenting, I'm sure you will be able to build many interesting decks with them!

@OP, if you're playing for fun, by all means experiment.  But adding Tropical Beach to a great Gardevoir list is a recipe for disaster.  Please don't try entering a 24-ticket Event with this idea.

Most Gardevoir lists I've seen run one Stadium, a single Parallel City.  This is primarily to place down so that your opponent can't limit your Bench to 3 (beating them to the punch, although it does help with Zoroark GX).  Adding 2 Tropical Beach to the mix, and Skyla to find it, isn't an optimum strategy.  You'll find yourself having to take out essentials like Max Potion or Choice Band.  Instead, you'll want to "Lele" for Brigette early, and Gardevoir attacks WAY too fast to spend extra time setting up.

Edited by RobRatt, 31 March 2018 - 04:56 AM.

31 March 2018 - 05:01 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

Most Gardevoir lists I've seen run one Stadium, a single Parallel City.  This is primarily to place down so that your opponent can't limit your Bench to 3 (beating them to the punch, although it does help with Zoroark GX).  Adding 2 Tropical Beach to the mix, and Skyla to find it, isn't an optimum strategy.  You'll find yourself having to take out essentials like Max Potion, and Gardevoir attacks WAY too fast to spend extra time setting up.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to give bad advice. It's true most Gardevoir decks don't run Beaches, but I have seen some that do. Here's a list that finished in the top 32 at Dallas regionals:

Pokemon - 17
3 Ralts PLS 59
1 Ralts BUS 91
1 Kirlia BKT 69
1 Kirlia AOR 53
3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
1 Gallade BKT 84
3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Remoraid BKT 32
1 Octillery BKT 33
1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
1 Oricorio GRI 56

Trainer - 32
3 Professor Juniper PLB 84
2 Brigette BKT 134
2 N FCO 105
1 Guzma BUS 115
1 Colress PLS 118
1 Korrina FFI 95
1 Teammates PRC 141
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Rare Candy SUM 129
2 Max Potion GRI 128
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
1 Superior Energy Retrieval PLF 103
1 Computer Search BCR 137
1 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Float Stone BKT 137
2 Tropical Beach PR-BLW BW50

Energy - 11
7 Fairy Energy 9
4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

This list doesn't include Skylas but it seems to have got away with running only two Beaches. In any case, expanded is a really fast format and I think Beach would certainly help the speed and consistency of a stage two deck rather than take away from it. 

And here's a list for Empoleon Dusknoir in Legacy: 

Pokémon - 18 
1 Smeargle UD 8
1 Exeggcute PLB 102
1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98
2 Duskull BCR 61
2 Dusknoir PLB 104
1 Mr. Mime PLF 47
4 Piplup LTR 33
2 Prinplup DEX 28
4 Empoleon DEX 29

Trainer Cards - 34
1 Computer Search BCR 137
3 Ultra Ball PLF 122
1 Super Rod DRV 20
3 Professor Juniper PLF 116
1 Switch EVO 88
1 Skyla BKP 122
3 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101
2 Silver Mirror PLB 89
1 Colress PLS 135
2 Tropical Beach PR-BLW BW50
1 Float Stone BKT 137
3 N NVI 101
4 Rare Candy PLB 105
2 Silver Bangle PLB 88
1 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
3 Level Ball NXD 89
4 Junk Arm TM 87

Energy - 8 
6 Water Energy Energy 3

Total Cards - 60

I hope these lists will provide you some inspiration on how to use Beach in your decks. Cheers!

31 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I've thought for a long time they should rename this game to "IF ONLY."

Y'know those moments at the end of every match?  ...when you're standing outside listening to everybody tell the tale of their last game?

...if only I could have got one more energy

...if only my Guzma wasn't prized

...if only he didn't play N, and take my hand down to one card

...etc. etc. etc.

Everybody has a different play style and preferences.  But I've never left a game wishing, "if only I would have had a Tropical Beach."  Maybe I should rethink that?  :)

P.S.  Thanks for the helpful reply and deck lists.

Edited by RobRatt, 31 March 2018 - 05:40 AM.

31 March 2018 - 05:54 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

Everybody has a different play style and preferences.  But I've never left a game wishing, "if only I would have had a Tropical Beach."  Maybe I should rethink that?  :)

I don't have any Beaches myself. So I can't really say how much difference they make to playing Gardevoir in Expanded. I imagine you'd be fine playing the deck without any Beaches, but if you have 'em, flaunt 'em I guess? I've always had mixed feelings about Beaches because they are so exclusive and playable at the same time. Even though only a handful of decks really make good use of them that hasn't prevented me from coveting them. When I'm playing against Empoleon/Flygon/Dusknoir in Legacy I sure wish I had a Tropical Beach so I could build that deck too! :P

31 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

How does one randomly stumble upon two copies of Tropical Beach :D?

In order to make the best out of the card you have to play decks that work outside of the boundaries of the normal game. As Rob pointed out, although the card is ridiculously overpowered, it wasn't really meant to be played on a competitive level. Hence you don't see the card in your typical Zoroark, Gardevoir, NM, Volcanion, etc. decks.

If you want to drive your opponent crasy I'd suggest looking into the likes of Wailord and M-Groudon, as those are probably the decks where TB shines the most (speaking Expanded here).

Or you can always implement the card in various Legacy decks.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

31 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Alright, thank you all for the deck builds! I’ll see how they work for me. Tropical Breeze sounds like a pretty fun card, especially with Special Condition mitigation on one side, or Snorlax decks. When are they going to be added to Online? :D

I acquired the Beaches thanks to one of my friends who used to be a volunteer at the 2011s. She dosn’t play anymore, so she didn’t mind giving me her useful cards.

Friendship is magic!