Relative newbie cobbling together a Mega Gardevoir-EX/Sylveon-GX deck

• Please log in to reply

24 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

Lavvy

Rookie Trainer

• Lavvy
Yo! I've been playing the Pokemon games since gen 1 but I never quite got into the TCG aside from some mild card collecting when I was younger... well, somehow I ended up dipping my toes into the actual game a couple weeks ago, and I'm having a blast so far!

I finally got enough not-terrible cards together to start working on a for real, custom built deck, so... here it is. Obviously nothing here is optimized and there are a lot of cards I'd like to have more/any of, but I'm looking for suggestions on what I should be hunting for to improve my deck. Booster packs I should be prioritizing? Things to trade for? etc.

Pokémon - 15
  • 3 Eevee FFI 80
  • 1 Eevee SUM 101
  • 2 Kangaskhan PLB 71
  • 1 Lugia FCO 78
  • 1 Cutiefly SUM 92
  • 1 Cutiefly BUS 95
  • 2 Gardevoir-EX STS 78
  • 1 Ribombee BUS 96
  • 1 Sylveon FFI 72
  • 1 Sylveon-GX GRI 92
  • 1 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79

Trainer Cards - 34
  • 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 1 Gardevoir Spirit Link STS 101
  • 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
  • 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
  • 1 Fairy Drop FCO 99
  • 2 Ultra Ball DEX 102
  • 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
  • 1 Revive ROS 88
  • 1 Ninja Boy STS 103
  • 1 Brigette BKT 134
  • 1 Fisherman BKT 136
  • 1 Teammates PRC 141
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
  • 1 Tierno BKP 112
  • 2 Steven ROS 90
  • 2 Shauna FCO 111
  • 1 Guzma BUS 143
  • 1 Max Revive XY 120
  • 1 Potion BKP 106
  • 1 N FCO 105
  • 1 Sky Field ROS 89
  • 1 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 1 Great Ball XY 118
  • 2 Energy Retrieval SUM 116
  • 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
  • 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
  • 2 Switch BLW 104

Energy - 11
  • 9 Fairy Energy Energy 9
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

To briefly sum up what it does (in case you don't feel like looking up the cards, idk): I originally built it around Mega Gardevoir because I happened to get a lucky pull of one and also heck yeah Gardevoir. Thus, most of the Pokemon in the deck are basics that can be used as ****** for Despair Ray, and I tried to put in a lot of cards for pulling Pokemon out of the deck or discard pile. I only have one M-Garde right now, so using regular Gardevoir-EX is also something I have to do sometimes, which hasn't been too big of an issue since I have a lot of ways to recover discarded energy for Luminous Blade as well.

The second main attacker is Sylveon-GX, who usually comes up first since wow this Eevee with the free evolve whenever ability is kind of busted. Magical Ribbon is usually used to bring up energy resources to steamroll with Sylveon, or to setup Gardevoir. I also have the other non-GX Sylveon as a backup in case the GX gets prized. It's not as powerful, but it can still interfere with the opponent's energy and do some decent damage if it gets the resources it needs, so I think it does a fine job for now in place of a second Sylveon-GX.

I also threw Lugia in there for kicks. Lugia is cool, it's a basic Pokemon, the damage isn't too bad either, why not.

Energy isn't a huge issue for this deck, so I kept that at a minimum (maybe I could make it lower...?) and have various ways to bring back energy in a pinch. Additionally, Ribombee is in the deck as another emergency energy source, since it's basically an unlimited use Professor's Letter. Also because I think it's super cute. Mostly because I think it's super cute...

And most of the other trainer cards speak for themselves! Some healing since I only have a few main attackers, lots of Pokemon/energy searching and recycling, I threw Sky Field in there for getting rid of opponents' fields and also giving more potential damage to Despair Ray, etc., etc...

... Anyway! That's what I've got so far. I'm open to any and all suggestions, I barely have a clue what I'm doing and I know my deck struggles at times (especially when I get a bad hand and fall behind before I can power up Garde/Sylveon). Are there any cards I should reduce/replace, aside from just stuff I should try to add to it? I got an Acerola I want to add to it as well to help with survivability, but I'm not quite sure what the best card to remove for it would be. I'm tempted to take out a Professor's Letter since I have Ribombee, but if I don't get Cutiefly+Ribombee or any energy in my first hand it's a disaster, so... being less likely to run into that issue would be nice, too.

24 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Hi and welcome.

Let's say it's quite a good deck, for a couple weeks of play. Of course high Meta game (competitive playing)  methods are not achieved yet, and the pool of cards is still low.

So far, you're missing the staples, which is normal. So I will focus on the current deck mixing a bit Mta tips and then after, we can focuss about Meta if you want, but then would be a completely different deck.

To start, the proportions of the deck are very good. 15-34-11 it's an awesome balance.

The trainers is what makes a deck work. You need to get the desired card in the moment you want it. That's what they do and therefore trainers are the core of any deck, and +double of Pokémon and energies.

There are good trainers, and bad trainers. I talk about supporters mainly. There are the staples, those who can fit any deck, no matter what and once you get it, not only your decks will improve significantly, but also you will be able to build and make work almost any new deck your mind can imagine

Back to the list, Tierno, Steven, Great ball and Potion are some of the worst trainers around. Also Poke fan club, Brock's grit and Poke center lady, Shauna and Kukui are low skilled trainers. I'm talking competitive, they are oddly used.

On the other hand, N, Guzma and Teammates are excellent. Brigette is very used right now and fits the deck a lot. You're missing Prof Sycamore and you already have 4 copies when starting the game so add him. It's "hard to understand" how discarding some resources in hand and valuable cards, can help a deck to be better but, the power of a new fresh 7 cards on a dead hand, is simply an astonishing tool to go on and get what you were missing.

That's why you add more than 1 copy of (almost) everything. A deck should be 1 powerful (GX/EX) high HP basic of Stage 1 mainly, attacker and adding 3-4. Then some lines of partners that help to set up, to heal, to hit harder... and add enough. The staple line of trainers with some resources to make cards come back to hand or pile, and the lower amount of energies to make it work.

So at the end, if you Sycamore discard a Gardevoir EX, it's a tragedy, but for the fact you should have 3-4 in deck and a Super rod or a Rescue Stretcher for example to make it come back. Of course it's a real tragedy if you have only one, but this is far to be consistent to play.

There is 2 things you need to do if you didn't yet. 1st, get 1000 coins. Then get in shop, at 500 each Mach Strike deck. This is by far the best Theme deck right now. Also get Resilient life if you want to improve fairy decks.

Mach strike comes with 2 Cynthia. Cynthia is the new "best" supporter out there. Shuffles the cards in your pile and draw 6 cards. One less than Sycamore but without loosing the resources. 3-4 are being played in any deck. Also you can play Theme with Mach strike, the win ratio of the deck is around 80% in my experience.

As for Resilient life, it's a Theme. Theme decks have bad proportion (20-20-20 or worst). And come with a low amount of good supporters BUT, the general idea of Resilient life, it's awesome. Xerneas as starter, to set up benched pokémon. Aromatisse can [Fairy transfer] any energy, to don't loose any turn adding energy. Also to remove all energies from a pokémon, Max potion (= full heal it) and transfer the energies back again without discarding. Also comes with the stadium Fairy garden, for free retreats. And additionally Slurpuff protects against Special conditions. The idea is super awesome. Just miss the Hitter (The GX/EX) and comes with low skilled trainers, but this is something you can solve with your staples.

As for staples, for Expanded which is what your deck is, should be something similar to:

1 ACE SPEC

4 VS Seeker

4UBs

2-3 Juniper or Sycamore

2-3 N

3-4 Cynthia

1+1 Guzma AND Lysandre (but you can go with 2 of the one you like more)

1 Karen (for Night march)

1 Acerola (if fits)

Then all the other items and the stadiums, depending the deck.

It's not set in stone so you can change according to your playstyle and budget, but mainly, if you don't have the cards, you need to get it.

Now about your deck, let's make space:

• 1 Tierno BKP 112
  • 2 Steven ROS 90
  • 2 Shauna FCO 111
  • 1 Potion BKP 106
  • 1 Great Ball XY 118 >> Ultra ball

7 spots for

2 Cynthia (on Shauna's)

a second N (on Tierno's)

2 Sycamore (on Steven's)

+2 Ultra ball (on the last 2)

Just with that, the deck should flow better. Still 1 of the important pokémon or other trainers it's inconsistent. You should try to focus on M-Garde getting more copies. Of course you need more Spirit links (3-4). Then you could slowly remove that Kangaskhan and Lugia and reinforce also the Sylveon's line and a 2-2 Ribombee also. Slowly remove the other low skilled trainers to have free spots.

Try to exchange that Brock's grit with a Super rod so you don't need to use the supporter turn on that and be able to use those who gives you big hand (Cynthia, Sycamore...).

Revive (ROS88) should be better than Max revive for that MGarde attacks. Some Fairy garden stadiums (2-3) would be a huge help. Xerneas as starter to set up your fairies works pretty nice (2-3).

That's what I would try step by step. Use to play that Sycamore also and other new trainers to automatise the combos and finally, remove all that budget cards and add those EX you miss to be closer to a Meta deck. Unfortunately it's still no easy to set up those Mega as you need the links. The meta speed has increased a lot and the Mega decks are a past thing. Anyway, anything that hits hard, if you know how to play it, can give you nice matches and wins now and then. But you'll see that, if you end with a "Meta" MGardevoir deck, will be a different deck than the present one.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

XY Theme decks review: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/27938-the-best-xy-theme-deck-info-poll

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

24 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Another Gardie deck, sweet! You’ll want to get a Gardevoir-GX as soon as possible, she cuts through anything that has too many energies attached to it.

So you might want to swap Syncamore for Cynthia as Chasista said, as the discard effect can be quite a pain in the neck. Also, try to get two or three Fairy Gardens, and take the Sky Field out. You won’t need it for a fairy-centered deck (although that I must agree that it does look amazing). You’ll most probably want to get a few Wonder Energies into your deck, as these prevent absolutely any other effect than damage done to your Pokemon by attacks. So, let’s say, Cursed Drop won’t do anything, Freak Show will be useless and most status moves will be incapacitated. You can also use a Guardians Rising Comfey, which will shield all of your Pokemon with any Fairy energy attached to it from special effects. It won’t do anything against damage counters or “doomsday clock” moves, but it will protect you against Hypnotoxic Laser or Poison Nest ability.

As for the rest, your deck looks quite good, but I will recommend having some non EX/GX heavy hitters or have a few Hex Maniacs, as your combat capabilities will be severly hindered if you encounter one of these pesky Alolan Ninetales or Hoopa builds. Oh, and try to replace Shauna with Cynthias, it’s a straight-up upgrade.

I would also suggest getting a few Drampa-GX, as it’s Berserk attack can be quite useful when your active is injured. Retreat using Fairy Garden, and let the old timer yell “Get off my lawn!!”.

Welcome to PTCGO! If you need any help getting staples or cards, feel free to send me a friend request in-game. I’ll be happy to hand you any Common/Uncommon cards for free, as long as they aren’t RC or Alternate Art.

Friendship is magic!

25 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

Lavvy

Rookie Trainer

• Lavvy

Thank you for all the very detailed advice! I did a bit of research in advance on what's popular, so I'm glad that paid off and my deck was at a decent start haha.

@Chasista I went ahead and got the two decks you suggested for the extra cards. Definitely a huge help! I'd already planned to get some Cynthias eventually but I hadn't thought about the Xerneas deck at all. I think the Xerneas and Fairy Garden cards from that are definitely going to be staying in my deck from now on. I managed to trade some spare cards for a Super Rod as well, and I'll probably be getting rid of the ol' Fisherman once I can grab a second one. Super Rod has a lot more synergy with Ribombee/Xerneas anyway since I have access to all the basic energy in my deck as long as I have one of those two out, so there's no need to pull energy directly into my hand vs the deck.

I've been a bit reluctant to use Sycamores too much due to bad experiences, but on further reflection that's less to do with the card itself and more to do with how objectively terrible the starter decks are. You're right, I have plenty of methods to bring back discarded resources so there's no reason not to make use of Sycamore.

@Princess_Aurora thank you for those fine suggestions as well! I knew there was a special energy for each type but I had no idea what Wonder Energy did. Running into status is such a pain, especially since most of the time it's purely up to RNG. Comfey and Drampa-GX sound really handy too!

Anyway, this is what I have now! I'm still working on getting more duplicates of the important cards (namely another Sylveon-GX and Mega Garde, and eventually some Garde-GX so I can work around that instead), but I think it's shaping up a lot better with the changes so far.

Pokémon - 14

• 2 Eevee FFI 80
  • 1 Eevee SUM 101
  • 1 Cutiefly SUM 92
  • 1 Cutiefly BUS 95
  • 2 Gardevoir-EX STS 78
  • 2 Xerneas XY 96
  • 2 Ribombee BUS 96
  • 1 Sylveon FFI 72
  • 1 Sylveon-GX GRI 92
  • 1 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79

Trainer Cards - 35

•  
  • 1 Skyla BKT 148
  • 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
  • 1 Gardevoir Spirit Link STS 101
  • 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
  • 1 Fairy Drop FCO 99
  • 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
  • 1 Lysandre FLF 90
  • 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
  • 1 Acerola BUS 112
  • 1 Super Rod BKT 149
  • 1 Revive ROS 88
  • 1 Ninja Boy STS 103
  • 1 Brigette BKT 134
  • 1 Fisherman BKT 136
  • 2 Cynthia UPR 119
  • 1 Teammates PRC 141
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
  • 2 Professor Juniper DEX 98
  • 1 Guzma BUS 143
  • 2 N FCO 105
  • 1 Fairy Garden XY 117
  • 1 Choice Band GRI 121
  • 2 Energy Retrieval SUM 116
  • 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
  • 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
  • 2 Switch BLW 104

Energy - 11

• 9 Fairy Energy XYEnergy 2
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

26 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Now that I think of it, I have a M Gardie sitting around doing nothing. I used to run a Gardie EX, mainly because that it was a SR, but I replaced her with other cards. I won't mind giving her to you, as she's a regular art. Can you send me a friend request in-game?

Friendship is magic!

26 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

The skeleton idea of MGardevoir decks changed through time as new sets were released.

Started with 3-4 Xerneas and 3-3 MGarde PRC with Aromatisse. ROS release include Shaymin EX of course. Then came Hoopa-EX (AOR) to set up and Bench 3 EX. BKT made MMewtwo EX a beast in the format. STS added new Garde-EX and MGarde. That double type MGarde was able to 1HKO MMewtwo so was more played than the PRC (2 and 1). 1 Dimension valley was there to do it for 1 energy. Also you could remove Hoopa EX once used and the Shaymins. And Ninja boy could make PRC Garde EX be changed for the new one to hit 100 like a surprise and 1-2 Xerneas BREAK were added sometimes (mostly one, to extend Xerneas HP and hit same as MGarde but 20x energy).

Added and removed fast some trainers to kind of update. A decent "Meta" build for nowadays could be a bit like:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 3 Xerneas XY 96

* 3 Gardevoir-EX STS 78
* 2 M Gardevoir-EX PRC 106

* 1 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36

##Trainer Cards - 36

*1 Scramble switch PLS129
* 2 Professor Sycamore XY 122

* 2 N FCO 105

* 3 Cynthia UPR 119

* 1 Lysandre AOR 78

* 1 Guzma BUS 115

* 1 Karen

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124

* 3 Gardevoir Spirit Link PRC 130

* 3 Fairy Garden XY 117

##Energy - 12

* 12 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Then you can custom everything. Add 1 Lele removing 1 Shaymin (or not). A second Hoopa EX for consistency. Play all PRC MGarde (as MMewtwo EX is not a usual threat anymore). Go with 2+1 Xerneas+BREAK or 3+1. Karen is there for obvious reasons and Enhanced hammer for Night march, Zoro and a lot of other, reliant on Special energies.

Scramble switch fits very good if a budget (more if no Aromatisse). As always, Computer search and Dowsing machine are perfect.

2-1 Aromatisse (or 2-2). Acerola, Skyla, Teammates, Ninja boy; Field blower (great to remove links once used), Startling megaphone, Choice band or Muscle, Energy retrieval or recycler, Energy switch, Eco arm... list never ends.

Of course you can go with 10 energies for example. Seven in play is the number to 210HP, enough for most of the played in Expanded.

As for Standard... that would be another story (GX + BKT Gallade with or without Zoroark, well known decks).

Edited by Chasista, 26 March 2018 - 11:15 PM.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

XY Theme decks review: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/27938-the-best-xy-theme-deck-info-poll

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

27 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

Lavvy

Rookie Trainer

• Lavvy

Oh jeez, you don't have to send me any freebies, but if you really don't mind I'd greatly appreciate it! I wish I had something good to offer in return, but basically all my good stuff is tradelocked... I have a Krookodile holo from SM if you'd like it? I'm not using it for anything, so.

@Chasista thank you for that very detailed M Garde build as well! That's something I can work towards in the meantime if I don't get any more lucky GX pulls haha. You've both been a ton of help, thanks so much!

28 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

No worries! I currently use a prototype deck of Gardevoir-GX, so M Gardevoir is pretty useless to my deck. As you're mainly using a Fairy deck, I'll see what I can use from some of my past builds.

Someone have helped me set-up in the past when I was a starter, so I just return the favour to any newbies that I come across. :)

Friendship is magic!

05 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

gunmetal

Junior Trainer

• gunmetal
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Dragonite-EX EVO 106
* 3 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Gardevoir-EX STS 78
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
* 3 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 3 Sacred Ash FLF 96
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 Gardevoir Spirit Link STS 101
* 4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 1 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 Colress PLS 135
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 1 N FCO 105
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 8

* 8 Fairy Energy Energy 

Total Cards - 60

i used to love playing me some mega gardevoir ! and it can still be very strong it was once a top tier deck  the advantage of this build is to use dimension valley to let mega gard attack for only one energy ! one energy 110 damage minimum 160 max  ! back in the days of steam siege that was just stupid  this is my personal build from a while ago its all about reuse and recycle. crazy draw with shaymin-ex   eliminate liabilities from the bench with mega gard and reuse with evolutions dragonite attack for 110/160 for one energy and repeat for victory !