Should I Build Standard or Expanded Decks?

• Please log in to reply

19 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

HokageDomo

Rookie Trainer

• HokageDomo

So im new to the TCGO community and was wondering if i should build standard or expanded decks. I saw that the card choice is much different but besides that i dont know the difference. Can someone explain it please and recommend which one to build. If both are worth building can you give me situations when to use one over the other. Thanks!

21 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

It comes down to how you like to play. Usually, Expanded has a more diverse deckpool, more weird decks, more fun decks, and somewhat faster play. Standard is a little slower-paced, and typically more competitive, since it's the format almost all large tournaments use.

Right now, Standard is actually really slow, although Zoroark-GX is changing that a little. However, I don't know enough about what's good in Expanded right now to compare them that way.

I used to like Expanded more for three reasons:

• Fewer restrictions
  • I owned more old cards
  • The pokemon I liked only had good cards from the B&W era.

Now I like Standard better, because of three reasons:

• I like the decks and meta better.
  • Oh my, I really don't have any other reasons.
  • Oh well.

Edited by SuperStone, 27 March 2018 - 12:38 AM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

26 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

My advice would be really simple, but when you have almost no limits to the cards that you can use, it allows some pretty insane combos. There's no absolute best deck, but when you have a lot of synergies between you cards (Example: Shaymin-EX and Ultra Balls or RL Ability Marshadow with Delinquent), you'll have an edge over your opponent. Of course, the more synergies there are, the better the deck is. 

If you think about it, the main strategic part about PTCG is to set up a proper deck. The rest will be all attaching energies, hitting hard and taking risks...

Friendship is magic!

26 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hi Trainers,

Thank you for the helpful replies to HokageDomo!

HokageDomo, I hope that you figure out which format you like better!  

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

09 April 2018 - 04:10 AM

Gutterpuppy11

Rookie Trainer

• Gutterpuppy11
Standard stinks only because almost all the cards I like are in expanded and the only card I like in the new format is decideye gx.

I do think standard is a better format though in general. in expanded you hardly see stage two Pokémon and the concept of evolution is abandoned. The games aren’t fast though a game lasts about 15-30 minutes and the decks are very diverse I personally love swampart and sandslash combo it lets you get any card out of your deck. The standard equivalent would be the notorious Mack strike.

Overall I’m trying to get into standard right now but the cards are more valued and harder to trade for. I’m working on a heat typhoon charizard deck right now. According to everyone this deck is going to fail but I don’t care at all. If it doesn’t work I’ll just abandon standard and stick to my awesome expanded swampert deck. The expanded format is much more stable and less likely to loss its top decks all the time.

09 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Darthscruff

Novice Trainer

• Darthscruff

I make decks for expanded, keeps the fun part fun and if i get bored and wanna get more restricted and feel more challenged i convert them to standard and adapt.