Unbelievable bad luck on PTCGO

• Please log in to reply

15 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

From the end of last year, I have been suspicious about whether the RNG  of this game is rigged OR that my luck is really really bad OR that my selective memory is making me exaggerate the bad results while neglecting the good ones.  After some record keeping, I found out that the RNG of the game is fine (coin flips are basically head: tail ratio of 1:1) but unfortunately the results revealed that my luck was even worse than I thought. I have found out that during these three months:

1. The chances of me drawing dead (not including a bad hand) on turn 1 when using top tier decks (when I mean drawing dead, it means that you had the ability to do nothing and if your opponent sets up you auto lose on turn 2) was 13%.

2. The chances of me skipping a turn because of missing a key element (e.g. energy, pokemon) at least once in a game was 39%

3. The chances of being forced to discard multiple key elements  (e.g multiple DCEs, Vs seekers) is shockingly, 41%.

Please note that I have played the game since 1999 and my decks are not poorly constructed (mostly top tier). I understand the game and I know how to play it. 

Other fun facts :) :

1. My lose rate against first turn donk decks is 84%

2. The chances of my opponent using hypnotoxic laser to make my active pokemon fall asleep is 94% while the chances of me using the laser to force my opponent to sleep was only 12%.

3. The chances of me discarding special charge OR two or more puzzle of times before using it was 39%. (In this case, puzzles were drawn separately).

4. I once had 4 darkrai EX's prized in one game, on the same day, I had all 3 of my rare candies prized.

5. I had once been paired against fighting decks 11 times in a row when using

my Zoroark/glaceon deck.

Some lucky facts (to neutralise the salt):

1. My crushing hammers had a 86% hit rate.

2. I was able to first-turn brigette 92% percent of the time despite only including 2 Tapuleles and 1 brigette in my zoroark/lycanroc deck.  

I suggest all of you to post all of your unlucky moments to make me feel better.

Edited by Sadra, 15 March 2018 - 06:09 AM.

15 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

Mod_Gunning

Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi Sadra!

Everyone has unlucky moments, we hope that changes for you soon! Sharing it with other really helps! Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

15 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I am playing the real life card game now since there is less of these weird occasions happening. I am a rather competitive person who aims at excelling at everything. I don't mind losing to better players or losing a few matches because of bad luck, but when you start to lose a considerable amount of games because of this, it starts to get quite annoying. 

15 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I am playing more of the real life card game now since there is less of these weird occasions happening. I am a rather competitive person who aims at excelling at everything. I don't mind losing to better players or losing a few matches because of bad luck, but when you start to lose a considerable amount of games because of this, it starts to get quite annoying. I just collect on the online game now.

15 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
3. The chances of being forced to discard multiple key elements  (e.g multiple DCEs, Vs seekers) is shockingly, 41%.

This is an interesting phrase, because I believe that we all know that feeling when you have to use UB, Juniper, etc. and lose valuable resources in the process. A single Juniper on the first turn can have a lasting impact on the entire game. Although that's obviously the risk of playing Juniper and the reason why I wouldn't necessarily advice new players to blindly follow the old 4 Juniper + 4 N, formula for their own decks.

That being said, PTCGO is often played on auto pilot (at least for me) and hence certain actions seem so mundane that I stop thinking about them entirely. In hindsight, though I often find myself wondering of skipping / delaying the Juniper for one turn would have been the better line of play.

I firmly believe that a certain percentage of “bad draws” (ignoring the initial 7) is a result of certain playing errors, because you missed the ideal line.

From a tempo perspective it can make more sense to wait, rather than going for it immediately.

(more on that topic once I finish the 3rd chapter of “This is why you lose “ :D).

As for bad luck: I naturally tend to remember the games where RNG mattered the most. Having my 2 Blastoise prized while playing Archie's Blastoise in the last round of a 24 ticket event is one scenario I remember with a certain grain of salt.

Probably the most nerve wrecking game was a round of Legacy against Harshu, for a Legacy forum tournament. I was playing Empoleon and on my first turn I realized that 3! of my 4 Empoleons where prized, alongside both of my Dusknoirs.

But it didn't stopped there. Even though I had a 3/6, 3/5 and ¾ chance I missed Empoleon 3 straight times in a row.

But I won both of those games, so I'm not that mad :P.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

16 March 2018 - 04:03 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

Yes, I certainly agree that a certain amount of 'bad draws' can be indeed attributed to misplays and waiting for one turn may be better than discarding a hand/ few valuable resources. I rarely play greedy and if I had resources that I did not want to discard, cynthia or N would be my choice. In many occasions though, especially in the expanded format, waiting for one turn may make it impossible to get back in the game if the opponent is an experienced player as he will win more and suppress your setting up even more, there might be no choice. In addition, I was often forced to discard my hand on turn 1, despite playing a 4 Ultra ball, 2N, 2 Cynthia, 2 Juniper, 1 Colress, 2 lele line, it gets quite annoying from time to time.

According to your unlucky moments, I am shocked to hear that you could win with archies blastoise  with both blastoise prized. I guess that the 'lucky of the unlucky' :) 

16 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Who knows, maybe that his opponent got unluckier than him? Luck is a double-edged factor that can give your opponent a single 30HP Mew and a bunch of energy, but at the same time giving you 12 Mulligans (nope, not kidding).

Friendship is magic!

16 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Who knows, maybe that his opponent got unluckier than him? Luck is a double-edged factor that can give your opponent a single 30HP Mew and a bunch of energy, but at the same time giving you 12 Mulligans (nope, not kidding).

Hello there Princess_Aurora,

Thank you for attracting some optimism to this thread.  ;)

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

16 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Hello there Princess_Aurora,

Thank you for attracting some optimism to this thread.  ;)

You're welcome! Just a question, I don't mean to offend anyone. But are people with the Mod_ tag bots?

Friendship is magic!

17 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Princess_Aurora,

The moderation team (those in green with the Mod_ name) are real people, and not bots. No circuitry here!  :)

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

17 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

You're welcome! Just a question, I don't mean to offend anyone. But are people with the Mod_ tag bots?

They may not be bots, but they surely have the bot mentality since TPCI won't allow them to interact freely with the crowd.

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

17 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Hello Princess_Aurora,

The moderation team (those in green with the Mod_ name) are real people, and not bots. No circuitry here!  :)

Nice to hear! Do you guys play the game as well, but under other usernames?

Friendship is magic!

17 March 2018 - 10:13 PM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

I cant speak for everyone but I do enjoy a good match every now and again, although Im not nearly as good as some of the players in this community. 

Moderator Alder

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

20 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Xi_of_SCS

Trainer

• Xi_of_SCS

I find that the first few times I use a deck after selecting it I get bizarrely bad shuffles, like all three of the stage 2s and nothing to get at a stage 1 evolution for half the deck.

Then starting around the 3 or 4th game the deck settles down until I switch or edit decks.

27 March 2018 - 04:56 AM

smeezus

Rookie Trainer

• smeezus

Now, for friendlies, I'm usually fine. If I ever face a ZoroPod, usually I just Rogue the Goli, Parallel after, and faceroll the Zoroarks with Claw Slash. But God forbid I do the same in tournaments.

Every tournament I enter is the same.

Brick.

Brick.

Brick.

Brick.

Brick.

I play ZoroGardy. I brick.

I play ZoroPod. I brick.

Or my favorite, I play ZoroRoc. For seven turns in a row, I dead draw. I lose to a deck where I have a commanding type advantage  - not because of my skill as a player, not because of my deck building, but because the game simply refuses to give me any card that can get me a win.

Once? Sure. Twice? Terrible. Every single time I enter a tournament? You start to get paranoid and you start to think the game's rigged to get you to stop playing after so many hours.

Edited by smeezus, 27 March 2018 - 05:58 AM.

28 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

ddophied

Rookie Trainer

• ddophied

I notice when I play theme deck 90% of the time I play what my deck is weak against. Example if I play Roaring Heat I am matched against Imperial Command. There are other things like my opponent getting heads on all the coin flips. I usually exit game and log back in and that usually fixes it.

29 March 2018 - 12:02 AM

Jigglypuffan

Expert Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

i was playing pokemon earlier with a friend in real life.. and every freaking time he win the coin flip when he done it.. and he was not cheating.. we even choose to use a program to choose a random answer yes or no to know who start...

but nothing to do he was always getting the draw.. believe me for coin flip, its really random and to me its even look better than real life lol.

21 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

spookaygamer88

Rookie Trainer

• spookaygamer88

what i don't get is how competitive decks lose to terribly built decks. I lost to this guy who had ran a deck around palkia gx, darkrai ex, giratina ex, no draw support whatsoever. i made a decklist based of sam chen's necrozma deck and for the most part it's been consistent and i understand you can't win every game, but it's one thing to lose to a horrible deck than to lose to a good and well made deck. it's really annoying that's why i've decided not to play this game very often anymore. it's not worth investing a lot of money in, especially the online version, when no amount of money you spend is going to help against things like this. it's disappointing. the shuffling and draws seriously needs to be more like in real life, dead draws or absolutely terrible and unrealistic hands needs to be fixed. the chances of you drawing into 5 psychic energy, 1 dawn wings necrozma, and 1 marshadow gx is honestly not possible in real life, there's like a 1x10-50 chance of that happening while dead drawing for 8 turns is not close to real life, where you do whiff on draws and get bad hands, but it's not like this on the pctgo. 

Edited by spookaygamer88, 21 July 2018 - 11:16 PM.

22 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

what i don't get is how competitive decks lose to terribly built decks. I lost to this guy who had ran a deck around palkia gx, darkrai ex, giratina ex, no draw support whatsoever.

every deck has a chance to lose to any deck.  IRL or Online.  Everyone will have a bad game here and there. 

just because a deck has very few or no draw supporter doesnt mean its bad.  one of my fave deck has ZERO draw supporters and its fun and heck to play with and even does very well, its called wailord, no draw supporters needed.

22 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Bad luck?? ...How about when you've got a great strategy going, and your finger slips off the mouse, dropping your Energy on the wrong Pokémon?

Just had one of those games.  It's one of the few times I rage quit.  ;)

Edited by RobRatt, 22 July 2018 - 02:10 AM.