Split pros and newbies

• Please log in to reply

10 March 2018 - 01:01 AM

Lisq

Rookie Trainer

• Lisq

Hey, I'm a new player in TCGO. I've beaten many trainer challenges and went to play versus but... that was horrible. I've met pro players all the time with pro, expensive cards and I couldn't beat them. Why can't you split pro players and new players? I'd like to fight with other players at my level... Otherwise there's no point of playing it because it's no fun losing all the time...

10 March 2018 - 01:16 AM

XK920XK

Senior Trainer

• XK920XK

the game has a hidden match making rating system, the better you get the better players you will face.

if this is happening in your first few games, then just play more. It wills soon balance itself out.

10 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

There are no "pro" PTCGO players. Nor are there "pro" cards. I'm surprised you're running into a lot of meta decks if you just started playing the game. Perhaps you're exaggerating- a few EXs/GXs doesn't make a deck or its user "pro". If you're struggling on the ladder, maybe you should go back to playing theme decks for a while, at least until your collection grows a little and you have access to some better cards. I'm sure you will soon be able to build competitive decks yourself but try to be patient. It can be a bit of a grind if you're not willing to drop money on the game but you can get quite far in the game even as a F2P player. The game already matches players based on their Elo rating but apart from that I don't know how it would be possible to distinguish between casual and "pro" players.  

10 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

Er, what did you do exactly after trainer challenges? What deck did you use?

The usual route is to first buy one of the two latest theme decks for 500 tokens. They both are noticeably stronger than earlier decks. Then play versus in theme format. You'll need at least 50 games to learn how to play the deck optimally, but you'll win a decent percentage of those games since your deck is just as strong as your opponent's and you should be matched with an opponent of a similar level of skill most of the time, so you'll earn lots of tokens and stuff. (Actually 50 games is real quick, it's really difficult not to misplay even in theme decks, and playing optimally means buying and playing with the other decks too.)

Oh right, streaks of bad luck are normal. Bad draws for 5-10 games. Thankfully there's streaks of good luck too.

By the time this gets old you should have many more cards to help build your first standard deck.

10 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Thanks everyone for giving your advice and opinions to a fellow player. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

11 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Lisq,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and welcome to the game! It can definitely be frustrating as a new player when you're matched up with players that have had more time to build their collections.The other players here have some great tips, and if you have any questions about deck construction, there is a subforum for that. 

Good luck!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!