Implementing an online form of spectating World Championships

• Please log in to reply

09 March 2018 - 11:23 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
World Championships are easily one of the most exciting Pokemon events lying around: hundreds of players coming from around the world, some of the best trainers playing with flashy cards, and let’s be honest, free booster packs getting handed out. Who dosn’t like free stuff? But one of the major problems for most Pokemon TCG trainers is that the World Championships are hosted in a distant place, even in another country in some cases. And there’s no way that you’ll be able to drag your whole family behind you during vacations “just to watch some kids play with pieces of cardboard”.

So here is a simple solution: position cameras above the playmats during the Championships, and broadcast it live on the Pokemon website. The online spectators would have the option to switch between cameras, and with the advancing technology of AI, they may even be able to observe the event lounge by one of the automatic robot’s camera. Of course, there will be entry fees for such spectators, and they’ll receive the same bonuses as the other physical spectators at the event. It would require some server power for such a live broadcast from that many cameras, but the additional entries from “virtual” spectators should cover up the costs. Not only it would boost the numbers of spectators, but it’ll also offer much more trainers the chance of witnessing such a grand event. An increase in attention may bring more stress to the competitors, but with more stress comes increased competivity, so it may have a positive effect to hype the event up even more.

The entry fees can be collected by CredCard or Gems if you’re in Canada. Or, add tickets to spectate the WC broadcast as a tradable item, obtained only by obtaining 1st place in the online 8-players tournaments. And who knows, maybe that one day, the World Championships may be held on the PTCGO app?

Feel free to share your thoughts below!

Friendship is magic!

10 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

XK920XK

Senior Trainer

• XK920XK

last year it was broadcast on this official site.  Both tcg and vgc.  They were only broadcasting feature tables for tcg.

the issue i see with multiple overhead cameras is cost and setup time.  Someone would have to update each camera for every match since players move around all the time.  On feature tables there would be multiple cameras and layouts to show what is going on to keep audience captivated.  Outside of watching your friend or fave player i dont see many people watching the overhead camera.  

what they can do is have multiple streams of multiple feature tables, so you can watch your fave decks if one stream bores you.  Also with multiple streams would be multiple broadcasters.

10 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

The World Championships (along with the Intercontinental Championships) are already broadcast officially by TPCi. I think one stream is more than enough, because even if they started charging online viewers (which I think is a terrible idea) it would not be cost-effective to stream ever match. 

I don't think PTCGO will ever be included in irl tournaments because it would hugely devalue the paper TCG. Unlike Duel Links, PTCGO does not feature a separate format with its own separate card pool. Having said that, there are a few features from Duel Links which I would not mind seeing on PTCGO such as Ranked PvP and Duel Rooms which allow you to organize tournaments among your friends as well as spectate other people's matches. Oh, and playmats!

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with PTCGO being secondary to the irl TCG because I don't want to see this game become monetized. 

Edited by picsupes, 10 March 2018 - 02:21 AM.

10 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Hmm... Good points. In paper version, I think that you can use some of the relics such as Holon Legacy or Delta Mew. One of the cards that I want to see in play will be definitively Imakuni?’s Doduo, it’s Pokepower and Harmonize attack sound absolutely hilarious. Too bad that it’s banned from tournament play, but I can see why they did that. Competitors suddenly standing up and throwing Doduos around can be quite chaotic...

I wasn’t aware that PTCG WCs were already broadcasted in the past, I’ve missed some pretty good stuff. Sorry for making this thread!

Friendship is magic!

10 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

What PTCGO could do is provide a replay feature.

1. Improve the game logs. Unless I'm mistaken it's not always possible to reconstruct what happened in a match because some informations are missing in the current game logs.

2. Let the client replay games from saved game logs. We can pause replay and read the cards.

2b. Let the client replay games while not connected to the server. “The servers are busy, why don't you watch a game and retry later?” :)

3. Let a game log be 3d point of view: private informations such as hand contents are missing. When replaying, the cards of both players are shown face down.

4. Write a tool that makes it easy for ptcgo staff to create a game log from a video.

That's it! Now every important match that is streamed can be replayed in the client. Possibly even live. Live stream in one window, ptcgo in another! We can finally have a good view at those cards we don't know well.

The possibility to spectate friends playing would come along the way.

I'm aware it's not as easy as I perhaps make it sound.

One problem is that mistakes are made during real matches. So game logs would have to be "player A plays N and draws 1 card too many" or "player A uses Riotous beating attack and deals 20 damage too many". Such matches could be dropped altogether. I don't know what's the proportion of mistake-free matches. On the other hand, ptcgo staff coding the game in real time could immediately warn the judge that something's wrong. Perhaps a ptcgo tool could be used by judges to do their job better in the future.

2b would ease server loads but also opens the door to malicious game logs that pirates love to try and cook.

EDIT I forgot to mention: ptcgo could well be used for some real events. Long trips mean less players. So instead of having to go to ONE distant place, you could just go to one of say five centers, where you'd validate your deck then play it on ptcgo. No more cheaters but possibly hackers and bugs. I don't think the issue is card devaluation but rather that ptcgo would need to be technically ready for it.

Edited by SingingFlyEx, 10 March 2018 - 08:54 PM.

10 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes
Princess_Aurora, on 10 Mar 2018 - 2:13 PM, said: I wasn’t aware that PTCG WCs were already broadcasted in the past, I’ve missed some pretty good stuff. Sorry for making this thread!

No need to apologize! Not only have they broadcast the WCs for a few years you can go back and watch old WC matches on the official Pokemon ******* channel. The oldest matches I could find on the channel are from the 2013 WC.

SingingFlyEx, on 10 Mar 2018 - 3:43 PM, said:SingingFlyEx, on 10 Mar 2018 - 3:43 PM, said: EDIT I forgot to mention: ptcgo could well be used for some real events. Long trips mean less players. So instead of having to go to ONE distant place, you could just go to one of say five centers, where you'd validate your deck then play it on ptcgo. No more cheaters but possibly hackers and bugs. I don't think the issue is card devaluation but rather that ptcgo would need to be technically ready for it.

I'm sure it would be possible for PTCGO to be used for competitive play but the paper TCG is what makes TPCI money and I think they will continue to prioritize it for the foreseeable future. Travelling for tournaments is not so much an obstacle as a perk for competitive player. And while the expense involved might be prohibitory for many, some of it is offset by the rewards you get from competitive play which includes travel stipends for the very best players.

Edited by picsupes, 10 March 2018 - 09:37 PM.