Dealing With Garchomp/Lucario/Cynthia

• Please log in to reply

09 March 2018 - 04:31 AM

Americalover55

Rookie Trainer

• Americalover55
I know Glaceon GX can block GX and EX abilities. Is there another card like it that blocks the rest of the abilities that can be used for the upcoming rotation and this one?

09 March 2018 - 06:08 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

There's still no card that block abilities for the next rotation (besides alolan muk that blocks abilities only for basic pokemon)  if i'm not mistaken we will have to wait and see if they print a new card for the upcoming sets that blocks all abilities like garbodor. 

But to deal with garchomp/lucario add two copies of enhanced hammer and/or run a deck with garbodor or you can also play a disruption deck like quad sylveon gx or wishiwashi gx stall deck.

Edited by EpicShonenGuy, 09 March 2018 - 06:09 AM.

09 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

Thanks for your help, EpicShonenGuy!

It’s always nice to see the community helping each other!

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

10 March 2018 - 03:13 AM

Americalover55

Rookie Trainer

• Americalover55
Thank you

15 March 2018 - 05:50 AM

HoHo_Uchiha

Rookie Trainer

• HoHo_Uchiha
^Yeah I've been the prey and ******** with those cards for sure and lately when I faced a Deck like that, I had my Buzzwole by my side to put damage here and there to the point where when my opponent final reaches to Garchomp they are a weak version of themselves.

20 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Cesittos

Rookie Trainer

• Cesittos

Garchomp should have retreat cost. It's too easy and abusive to play this deck. Not balanced.

25 March 2018 - 09:40 PM

RealFolkBlues0

Rookie Trainer

• RealFolkBlues0

I agree with Cesittos, Furthermore, there seems to be a fierce defense in the forums for this deck. Presumably from people who use it. Look bottom line, this deck is a game breaker. And to the people using it, you are unoriginal, untalented, and feeling gratification from someone else's work building the deck. Which again, should be made illegal. It's like all the problems with the game right now together in one deck. Just some objective observations...

Now for my personal opinion. When I see you have this deck and you start taking 5 minutes per turn milling through your deck, don't feel accomplished or superior when I concede. I'm only doing it because you are sapping all of the fun from the game and I don't have time to sit around all day while you play with yourself.

Edited by RealFolkBlues0, 25 March 2018 - 09:41 PM.

25 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Just some objective observations...

I ask with complete honesty: Do you know what the word 'objective' means?

Edited by SuperStone, 25 March 2018 - 09:49 PM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

26 March 2018 - 04:50 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Is Mach Strike GX even meta to begin with?

26 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

Wait until the fighting type Garchomp line comes out... :D That'll be fun.

A simple Garchomp-Lucario deck is not difficult to deal with, because even with the auto-evolution and Computer Search ability they still have the inconsistency of a stage1 combined with a stage2 deck, so basically any decent deck should be able to deal with that without any problems. (Unless the Garchomps get very lucky.)

However, if they have stuff that boost consistency like Vulpix or Lele (which is actually worse since it's an easy 2 prize on their side) then a deck that needs to use 1-2 Lele to set up and/or has a main attacker that gives up 2 prizes can easily lose the prize trade, since it's suprisingly easy to hit 200-230 with Garchomp. (Obvious exceptions are Solgaleo and Metagross) Only thing you can do is try to outplay the deck and kill off everything while they are still in their basic form. (Consistent fairy decks with a competent attacker are probably the best in this case since they can pick off the Garchomps at every stage easily.) It can be somewhat annoying but I guess TPCi wanted a ready-made deck (with fanservice to boot) for beginners so that game could become even more accessible and they could make even more $$$.

Also, teching in Enhanced Hammers just because of this deck for decks that otherwise do not need it (and thus get 2 dead cards for other match-ups) is a terrible advice.

I think the deck is about as "meta" as Typhlosion is - which means that you are most likely to run into it online than IRL.

Edited by Toklopo, 26 March 2018 - 12:25 PM.

26 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

Wait until the fighting type Garchomp line comes out... :D That'll be fun.

A simple Garchomp-Lucario deck is not difficult to deal with, because even with the auto-evolution and Computer Search ability they still have the inconsistency of a stage1 combined with a stage2 deck, so basically any decent deck should be able to deal with that without any problems. (Unless the Garchomps get very lucky.)

However, if they have stuff that boost consistency like Vulpix or Lele (which is actually worse since it's an easy 2 prize on their side) then a deck that needs to use 1-2 Lele to set up and/or has a main attacker that gives up 2 prizes can easily lose the prize trade, since it's suprisingly easy to hit 200-230 with Garchomp. (Obvious exceptions are Solgaleo and Metagross) Only thing you can do is try to outplay the deck and kill off everything while they are still in their basic form. (Consistent fairy decks with a competent attacker are probably the best in this case since they can pick off the Garchomps at every stage easily.) It can be somewhat annoying but I guess TPCi wanted a ready-made deck (with fanservice to boot) for beginners so that game could become even more accessible and they could make even more $$$.

Also, teching in Enhanced Hammers just because of this deck for decks that otherwise do not need it (and thus get 2 dead cards for other match-ups) is a terrible advice.

I think the deck is about as "meta" as Typhlosion is - which means that you are most likely to run into it online than IRL.

Saying that "teching 2 enhanced hammers is a terrible advice" is an over the top statement in fact it's the other way around it is a great advice and i'll tell you why. Zoroark and Buzzwole are everywhere in the current meta and the most winning tournaments decks rely a lot on special energy so discarding that strong energy, DCE or any other special energy is huge it's not just for this specific deck the current meta is very reliant on special energy so adding two enhanced hammers can become a game changer and even give you the victory.

26 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

Unless you're playing full distruption/stall it's just not worth it imo and is too opportunistic/situational if you don't have anything in your deck that can grab it exactly when you need it -  sure it can give you the win if everything aligns but Zoroark plays Puzzles, (best way to counter Zoroark is just to hit it with anything fighting that OHKOs Zorua/Zoroark) even the better Garchomp/Lucario lists play Puzzles and Buzzwole doesn't rely on special energy alone. But each to their own I guess.

Once the puzzles rotate (and provided there will be no reliable alternative to get special energy back from the discard) and once Beast Energy also becomes a thing I could see every deck running 1-2 copies of E. Hammer but until then I'd rather just use those two slots to help with the consistency of a deck because Standard is still really lacking in that department.

Edited by Toklopo, 26 March 2018 - 04:16 PM.

27 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Well, I just went ahead and tried out Mach Strike GX and honestly... it's nowhere near as OP as some people claim it is. Stage 2 consistency issues aside, the inability to use Guzma is HUGE *** it can but then it can't OHKO anything worth a ***). Maybe a Brigette build would help get out those basics easier but Lele taking up bench space is annoying.

Yeah it's mighty for a budget deck but not OP at all.

09 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

Gutterpuppy11

Rookie Trainer

• Gutterpuppy11
It’s no big deal in expanded ( long live expanded ) I’ve yet to see it there.

In standard ( die standard) I don’t really know however, in the theme tournaments I play in Mach strike and imperial command are dominant and if you use anything else your done so I use Mach strike.

I don’t see why it should be a problem in standard though ultra Necrozma is coming and Mach strike, gardevoir, and the entire meta game is going to get hit by an ultra truck so, if you pull ultra Necrozma your already world championship.

24 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Omegaki113r

Rookie Trainer

• Omegaki113r

I know Glaceon GX can block GX and EX abilities. Is there another card like it that blocks the rest of the abilities that can be used for the upcoming rotation and this one?

Actually i am running on a mach strike deck. True it feels like cheating. it really is. I want to stop using it and build my own deck. Reason is i can't is that born and living in a 3rd world country means no shops to buy boosters and deck (physical). Therefore i am forced to win in game Versus matches to collect some cards. So playing the Mach strike is the best (cheat) way to go. I don't like it too. Win rate is high. though winning doesn't satisfying. Once i was beaten with Glaceon Gx. So yeah... I played TCGO for 2 months now. Only that deck beat me. other times i got unlucky and didn't found the cards i want. 

27 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I like how you glance over that this deck allows a first turn garchomp and that all you need is 1 energy and a 1st stage to get a turn 2 garchomp. If i cant take them out in the first 2 turns ,which i never can, I have about a 99% chance of loosing against this deck. It has gotten to the point to that when I see that they have the garchomp coin, I know i have lost. I would also like to point out before I get told this, that just because you can counter a deck with rare cards does not mean that the deck is easy to counter. I do not want to hear "you can counter it easy with this very specific card that you have like a 0.001 chance of getting"

27 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

I like how you glance over that this deck allows a first turn garchomp and that all you need is 1 energy and a 1st stage to get a turn 2 garchomp. If i cant take them out in the first 2 turns ,which i never can, I have about a 99% chance of loosing against this deck. It has gotten to the point to that when I see that they have the garchomp coin, I know i have lost. I would also like to point out before I get told this, that just because you can counter a deck with rare cards does not mean that the deck is easy to counter. I do not want to hear "you can counter it easy with this very specific card that you have like a 0.001 chance of getting"

I can raise you one better!

I like how you glance over that this forum is from March.
You are in a direct violation of the forum rules.

Your commenting to a person after 5 months of hind sight.
Players in March didn’t play the deck the same ways as in August.
The person in March didn’t “Glance Over”
The strategy didn’t exist in March.

Please tell me how did you feel talking smack to that person from March?
Did it make you feel good?

Maybe, We can jump on time machine and travel back in time to see some Mayans.
Than we will talk smack to the Mayans for not having WiFi!
Mayans as an advanced civilization? Ha Ha
What a Joke!

They glanced over WiFi!
They can’t be that advanced.

Edited by Player_Jay, 27 August 2018 - 11:24 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

28 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I can raise you one better!

I like how you glance over that this forum is from March.

You are in a direct violation of the forum rules.

Your commenting to a person after 5 months of hind sight.

Players in March didn’t play the deck the same ways as in August.

The person in March didn’t “Glance Over”

The strategy didn’t exist in March.

Please tell me how did you feel talking smack to that person from March?

Did it make you feel good?

Maybe, We can jump on time machine and travel back in time to see some Mayans.

Than we will talk smack to the Mayans for not having WiFi!

Mayans as an advanced civilization? Ha Ha

What a Joke!

They glanced over WiFi!

They can’t be that *********

** far as i have seen the strat of garchomp and lucario is almost the same. Could never beat it than or now. I and just very tired of the feeling of seeing those cards and knowing I pretty much just auto lost. I can deal pretty well or at least decent against most decksm what i am trying to say is that you should atleast feel that you have a chance to beat a deck.

28 August 2018 - 03:29 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

** far as i have seen the strat of garchomp and lucario is almost the same. Could never beat it than or now. I and just very tired of the feeling of seeing those cards and knowing I pretty much just auto lost. I can deal pretty well or at least decent against most decksm what i am trying to say is that you should atleast feel that you have a chance to beat a deck.

Just to clarify are you actually talking about theme or standard/expanded? I'm guessing standard/expanded and if I'm right then I'll just tell you that Modified Mach Strike is not top-tier right now (and never was). It is also impossible to set up a Garchomp on turn 1 no matter what you do (as time of writing)

If you're talking about theme then I have no further comment

Edited by BowserLuigi, 28 August 2018 - 03:32 AM.

28 August 2018 - 04:36 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Just to clarify are you actually talking about theme or standard/expanded? I'm guessing standard/expanded and if I'm right then I'll just tell you that Modified Mach Strike is not top-tier right now (and never was). It is also impossible to set up a Garchomp on turn 1 no matter what you do (as time of writing)
If you're talking about theme then I have no further comment

for the one turn garchomp, i am referring to when he goes first than next turn evolves and accends. Not really turn 1 but the firt turn he can attack. I can see how it is bot top tier because most people here most likely have poured hundreds of dollars and/or into the game i just casual play it. Just trying to say that it ruins the game for noobies when they have to face people with the newest most powerful cards while we have only the basics. So for now i guess i will continue to just auto forfeit when ever i see someone use the deck. No point in wasting my time on a battle i know i will lose.