Reviewing "Making it Easier to Get The Cards You Want" one week later: a bad update

• Please log in to reply

07 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

QlnwtheOctoGuy

Rookie Trainer

• QlnwtheOctoGuy

Agree. They always think that we would buy packs with token so that they make the ability to grab more tokens easier but after all, the cards we need is grabbed by trading, not by gambling. TPCi needs to understand this, so that they can give us what we want.

[For TPCi staff] Please give us more ways to get tradeable cards and also an easier way to play standard. We have no need of tokens.

07 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Loof6

Senior Trainer

• Loof6

I have to disagree. It is difficult to find the right balance. It should not be too easy to get tradeable cards. That would take the charm and break the game. We should not have too high expectations. That's not the point here. Our concern is simple. We would like to return the feature that was canceled at the last update. Ticket and legacy events as well as the rewards rotation of the events. Besides maybe the weekly promo bundles.

07 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

Matthiew666

Rookie Trainer

• Matthiew666

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.   

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.  I do appreciate your concerns and can understand where you are coming from.

We continue to watch how things are progressing since the latest updates.  While we don't have any specific follow up items to discuss, we are playing and evaluating.

Well, it definitely does represent my feelings.

07 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Cubchoo103

Senior Trainer

• Cubchoo103
No one likes these changes and the mods know it, despite being a bunch of bots

08 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

Hi everybody, wow, so many things! Not sure what was said in which thread, I'll reply here.

1. We don't know much. Business secrets. So it's easy to overinterpret and difficult to offer constructive suggestions.

2. We do know that the changes ARE liked by at least some users. Yes, there WERE some positive feedbacks on the subreddit. It's not constructive to ignore this. We just don't know the whole picture.

I'm in this game just as much as my kid is. He was disappointed with the missing promo bundles. We don't know why those were ditched. Streamlining the game really? If that were true then it would really just be three guys holding the fort at the back-end and interface (plus lots of guys at design/animation/support). So the best I can do is just to uppercase WE WANT PROMO BUNDLES BACK a few times.

But my son wasn't disappointed for long, because there's lots of tokens to buy lots of theme decks. If he's representative of the player base, then it's a good update overall.

Any update that would make most daily challenges achievable with theme decks (rather than mostly water and dragon types challenges) would be a GREAT update for him. And for me too, because it was really painful to see him grind that 16 K.O. lightning challenge with inefficient decks (and I just had to do most of it myself over a few evenings). In hindsight, showing him how old packs can be traded for GX's he values was a dubious move. He was so happy with his FA Kommo-o. He wanted more. I'm not sure he'll be able to pilot the competitive decks I'm in the process of building for him. Fortunately he's currently back to trainer challenges. 4 games for a pack is still good even if pulls are not that good.

Any update that would let him VS play all the old theme decks with some reasonable win rate would be great too.

We've yet to play and win a tournament together. He'll be very happy to trade his old packs (or chest) for useless cards he wants. (The know-how is just an internet search away, but I'm guessing we're a minority here, or how would a FA Kommo-o or Incineroar be so cheap?)

Note: by contrast, when he pulled an ace spec computer search from the VS ladder packs, he just kinda did his best to respectfully share my excitement. Comp. Search is obviously a lot less valuable than a FA Kommo-o :)

3. As a parent I'm VERY WARY of how PTCGO moves. My hard facts are

( a ) My kid is very attached to the TCG in general, with a growing investment into PTCGO, and all of that is currently worth the money spent. Reading, computing, planning ahead in games... It's really fun to see him complain about the 10 mn homework that has to be done, then volunteer non-stop for an hour for daddy's math exercises because they're worth 1 card each.

( b ) Kids shouldn't be betrayed.

( c ) Some adult users were emotionally attached to some features of the game and felt betrayed after said features were removed with no warning whatsoever. I'm also unsure about the compromised accounts issue.

I can do with a ~2 month warning. I can't risk a sudden betrayal for my kid. He's both more involved than the average involved kid of his age and more sensitive to betrayal. So it's a good update because my kid wasn't hurt and it woke me up. I must make sure that ptcgo never grows up too big in his life, because I can't rely on ptcgo staying mostly the same. It can only supplement real life tcg activities.

Thank you all for all your thoughts, it helped me sort out mine.

Edited by SingingFlyEx, 08 March 2018 - 02:36 PM.

08 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Hi everybody, wow, so many things! Not sure what was said in which thread, I'll reply here.

1. We don't know much. Business secrets. So it's easy to overinterpret and difficult to offer constructive suggestions.

2. We do know that the changes ARE liked by at least some users. Yes, there WERE some positive feedbacks on the subreddit. It's not constructive to ignore this. We just don't know the whole picture.

I'm in this game just as much as my kid is. He was disappointed with the missing promo bundles. We don't know why those were ditched. Streamlining the game really? If that were true then it would really just be three guys holding the fort at the back-end and interface (plus lots of guys at design/animation/support). So the best I can do is just to uppercase WE WANT PROMO BUNDLES BACK a few times.

But my son wasn't disappointed for long, because there's lots of tokens to buy lots of theme decks. If he's representative of the player base, then it's a good update overall.

Any update that would make most daily challenges achievable with theme decks (rather than mostly water and dragon types challenges) would be a GREAT update for him. And for me too, because it was really painful to see him grind that 16 K.O. lightning challenge with inefficient decks (and I just had to do most of it myself over a few evenings). In hindsight, showing him how old packs can be traded for GX's he values was a dubious move. He was so happy with his FA Kommo-o. He wanted more. I'm not sure he'll be able to pilot the competitive decks I'm in the process of building for him. Fortunately he's currently back to trainer challenges. 4 games for a pack is still good even if pulls are not that good.

Any update that would let him VS play all the old theme decks with some reasonable win rate would be great too.

We've yet to play and win a tournament together. He'll be very happy to trade his old packs (or chest) for useless cards he wants. (The know-how is just an internet search away, but I'm guessing we're a minority here, or how would a FA Kommo-o or Incineroar be so cheap?)

Note: by contrast, when he pulled an ace spec computer search from the VS ladder packs, he just kinda did his best to respectfully share my excitement. Comp. Search is obviously a lot less valuable than a FA Kommo-o :)

3. As a parent I'm VERY WARY of how PTCGO moves. My hard facts are

( a ) My kid is very attached to the TCG in general, with a growing investment into PTCGO, and all of that is currently worth the money spent. Reading, computing, planning ahead in games... It's really fun to see him complain about the 10 mn homework that has to be done, then volunteer non-stop for an hour for daddy's math exercises because they're worth 1 card each.

( b ) Kids shouldn't be betrayed.

( c ) Some adult users were emotionally attached to some features of the game and felt betrayed after said features were removed with no warning whatsoever. I'm also unsure about the compromised accounts issue.

I can do with a ~2 month warning. I can't risk a sudden betrayal for my kid. He's both more involved than the average involved kid of his age and more sensitive to betrayal. So it's a good update because my kid wasn't hurt and it woke me up. I must make sure that ptcgo never grows up too big in his life, because I can't rely on ptcgo staying mostly the same. It can only supplement real life tcg activities.

Thank you all for all your thoughts, it helped me sort out mine.

We, don't share the same feeling.

Nobody said it's nothing good in changes. There are good things. But the good things don't make up the removed contents.

Bring back all Theme decks? Good, why not. But... what if you already had all of them (but the HGSS ones)? Nothing good then. And more... you could get any of the XY theme decks just getting the codes IRL let's say 1$ each? Maybe 3$? So being a good thing, still nothing huge for the game or impossible to get before.

Bring more tokens and tickets on daily login, ladder and tournaments? Awesome! But what can you do with it? Go to tournaments to win  packs that nobody wants to trade and pull cards that everyone already have because they are from previous sets.

The PTCGO works getting the new cards, every 3 months they release a new set, tons of IRL money are spent to get the new stars for the collections or the Meta decks. And trade for that new things is what moves the game. Not having last packs as rewards means not so much people pulling interesting cards, so less amount of interesting cards in trades and also overpriced as for the demand. In addition you will have to trade with packs nobody wants  so still harder. This all together, doesn't helps not only the players, but the game itself.

What to do with so much tokens once you already have all the Theme decks and there are no bundles in shop? Buy locked packs? No one likes locked cards. They are there, they are for free, but there's a bunch of threads with awesome ideas about what to do with your 132 locked Magikarp. Personally, I don't have any problem with that. I understand that they are for free and also a control over the locked cards is needed to avoid multi-accounts making huge profit from what was freely rewarded to you. I'm good with how it is now. But still is ridiculous to have 100 copies of whatever, laying there for nothing. And once you've consumed enough locked packs from the set you like, you'll see nothing you pull worth anymore because you'll have more than 4 of everything. And what to do with those extra GX if they're locked? Nothing. And game ends.

A bad new about make most daily challenges achievable with theme decks... this will be hard. Theme decks are inefficient by themselves. Mach strike and Imperial command are ruling with a rod of iron. Far from, evolve 10 of any type of pokémon, will be a hard time through dozens of games to KO 16 pokémon with a different type from water and dragon. Do 1000 damage with Fairy will be a little nightmare through 6, 7, 8 lost games against the Ultra Prism theme decks. So if the come back of all theme decks was good for collecting, they don't provide nothing to playability, until new powerful decks from new set, with different types, will arrive. And this was going to happen without the present changes.

Also you'll notice that, most of the B/W and HGSS are hard to play even against the Trainer's challenge AI. So while again, we like to have available all theme decks, more than 50 of them doesn't bring nothing to celebrate to the present game, but collecting if you didn't had it yet.

While I admire the education you're giving and how you use pokémon with your kid, and for sure a lot of parents use it in one or other way to teach and entertain their kids, the PTCGO comes from the PTCG IRL where there are, World championships with huge rewards. And PTCGO is THE PLACE where top players test everything in a cheap and wide way. They can get a big amount of cards to easy try new decks, change a pair of a deck and test it again through a lot of games against a wide range of different, competitive and non competitive decks of all types. And then spend IRL money on the cards they miss to build their going to IRL events.And this helps the game.

For the people that is new, or is happy using the game to spend time with their kids, or are just happy playing Theme, doing Daily challenges and Trainer challenge, I doubt any change could be bad. But for the rest of players, those who enjoyed Legacy because it's their era, or do like to collect up to the last card from the game, promos included, or want to build competitive decks with Lele, Zoroark and Buzzwole GXs, and they won't be aware of the presence of Kommo-o GX since it will be the main character of a running to Worlds deck, the changes are not good.

Yes, we all like the things they added, or they're going to add. But they could have made it without removing anything. They could! And then all, every type of casual, collector and competitive player, would have been happy with the changes.

So I agree with your 'hard facts'. I'm happy the changes didn't came with a lot of trouble to you. That you realized in advance that too much involvement could be fatal in one or other grade, and luckily  it hadn't been fatal right now. And I agree that the good things they brought, are good. They are. But you're missing all the other point of views, the collectors, the competitive players, the ones that feel like kids because B/W and HGSS was the childhood. For all of them, they've been betrayed.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

My 1st pokémon VGame http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/59894-my-1st-pok%C3%A9mon-videogame-nds-diamond-story-and-help/

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

09 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Frankie-Ashley

Trainer

• Frankie-Ashley

all online games create a loyal fan base.... mostly free to play then they turn it into a pay to win.... and this is what these have done....

1.made the tickets harder to get... so we pay directly to get them

2.random packs for tourney... so we pay and buy the codes indirectly from them for the packs we want.

i used to play a game called grepolis... very loyal players and very very time consuming  and they turned P2W and lost a lot of customers but it didnt matter it just meant they had fewer fans but more paying fans....

but hey ho if it doesnt revert the stupid changes they lose players and will eventually die out.

09 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug
Roll back the update!!!

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

/u/The_Real_Bug_ /r/ptcgo

10 March 2018 - 03:36 AM

XK920XK

Senior Trainer

• XK920XK

14. UPDATES AND CHANGES TO THE SERVICE. We may, from time to time, issue patches or updates for portions of the Service which must be installed to continue using those portions of the Service. You consent to receive and install those patches and updates in order to continue using the Service. You also accept that all or portions of the Service may experience server issues that make it temporarily unavailable, and that we may in our sole discretion and without notice terminate all or any part of the Service. You accept that you will have no recourse of any kind against us even if this causes you to lose a match, to lose Virtual Content, or to have no further access to all or part of the Service.

10 March 2018 - 05:39 AM

picsupes

Junior Trainer

• picsupes

Wow, so rude! I get that you're unhappy with the latest update but this is uncalled for. Being nasty will not suddenly make the devs tailor the game to your demands. The player base is not a monolith and it's impossible to please everyone. While I have my own reservations about some of the recent changes, I do not believe that resorting to insinuation and slander will bring about the changes you desire. 

Edit: The post to which I was replying seems to have been removed, probably due to its inflammatory content. My point still stands.

Edited by picsupes, 10 March 2018 - 08:03 AM.

10 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

I may be a casual when it comes to packs--but I don't mean to be a "spoiled child"...

I use the online game to test out deck ideas for real life, since I am afraid to use proxies for more than one league session, if at all, as I believe some cards need more than one league session for whatever idea I have for it to materialize. Some ideas don't work out, I trade cards away, and sometimes, such trades hurt the value of my collection enough to enter theme deck tourneys to re-establish my collection's value. Some of the cards I test may or may not be in my online collection at this time, such as those from mini-sets that are only available in collection boxes such as Zoroark-GX, Raichu-GX, among others, as well as cards I don't have in real-life such as Tapu Lele-GX...

^ I may not be able to buy $50 cards in real-life at this time w/o jeopardizing my ability to buy further cards, for a number of months equal to money spent on cards for month divided by 50, due to real-life monetary shackles such as those from disability insurance, family-imposed monthly gaming dollar limits of $50 per month for affordability of other obligations, maybe among other reasons, but with changes brewing, I feel sorry for those w/ luck so bad that they can't get Tickets in Mystery Boxes, forcing them to win 9 in one day on Versus mode and/or getting the tickets on daily login bonuses, and since I can't buy Shining Legends from the in-game Shop w/ my tokens, I hate to be frustrated, but I am, as Zoroark-GX is popular, as those that are not new and/or play poorly use it in standard, I feel that I either have to buy its box again, or I take the chance and potentially get bad luck myself.

^Assuming the changes take effect in full next update, although I'll still play the real-life version, I'll have no choice but to wait until September to try online events again, when the standard pool narrows down, and there are less standard packs for the RNG to pick from, as knowing that without the ability to easily earn tickets without paying real-life money, even if it means not paying up for the purpose of speeding up the rate of ticket acquisition, as paying w/ real money is a waste if they decide to shut online down somewhere down the future line, combined w/ the fact that there's still inferior packs to potentially make the results of tourneys less valuable, even if I feel like playing at all, I'm afraid that the online game will be a boring one-dimension game that could easily be repetitive in terms of process, knowing that trying tourneys now will only mean risking getting six inferior XY packs if I get first place in said tourney, and since XY is eclipsed by SM in terms of quality, that leaves Versus, Quick Play, and tutorial mode as the only worthwhile play options I can try, but since I know the game already, in case I want to play at all...

^...that narrows down my profitable pre-September options to only Versus, once again, if I feel like playing at all, with whatever pathetic cards I have now, even if I have to resort to locked cards and/or theme decks until the time comes for the inferior group of packs to leave standard...

While I still can, I ask you not to implement this change, or else I'll be disappointed, knowing that my only avenue of testing cards outside than real-life proxies, which I believe my sissy is better at, is closed off in terms of max results until the XY block is removed from the RNG standard pool... :(

edit: I noticed that so many people are quitting because of this controversy. I may need to give the tournament feature some love, in case the traffic gets so low, that they could decide to drop it after April, in a similar fashion to non participation in league challenges resulting in losing league cups... Sure, I am still displeased, but if too many others quit online, then what if the quitters are too much in number for the event feature to stay in the game?

I don't like this, but it appears that the time may be coming for participation in tourneys just for the purpose of ensuring that it does not get cut by lack of interested players...

Edited by Jammer87, 15 March 2018 - 08:59 PM.

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

11 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.  I do appreciate your concerns and can understand where you are coming from.

We continue to watch how things are progressing since the latest updates.  While we don't have any specific follow up items to discuss, we are playing and evaluating.

I am just befuddled at how would undermining the value of tournament rewards is going to make the representative player base happy? No one wants to receive a bunch of evo, fates collide, or other worthless packs (which is very likely). Therefore, I assume that THIS decision comes solely from the developers. Sure, we will get 400 tokens to buy the packs that we are looking after but the packs WILL BE UNTRADABLE, which significantly decreases the value: I can trade the packs for cards that are sought after while it is very unlikely that I would get the card that I want through opening booster packs.

In addition, the suspension of legacy tournaments seem skeptical as well. According to the fact that I rarely play legacy myself, I do not care much about legacy tournaments SO I WOULD NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT THE QUEUE AND CONSIDER SUSPENDING THE TOURNAMENT FOR GOOD and the only players that consider legacy tournaments are those who play it. However, based on the majority of opinions on the forum, I can see that MOST legacy players are extremely frustrated at the suspension of legacy tournaments. Moreover, a lot of new players are complaining that they just got the cards and now they can't play it anymore. I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYONE THAT IS FOND OF THIS DECISION. I just wonder where does this suggestion come from and which group of people does the 'representative player base' refer to.

Of course, there are good changes, such as bringing back old packs, improving the ladder rewards. But I really hope that the devs can pay more attention to the Voc.

Edited by Sadra, 11 March 2018 - 07:08 AM.

13 March 2018 - 05:24 AM

Nin3br3ak3r

Rookie Trainer

• Nin3br3ak3r

I honestly do not believe the devs are listening to US.

They are listening to the casual players, not US. We are the people who care about the game ENOUGH to complain, but most casual players are where they are making their money.

I wish the mods could be forthright with us and at least say, hey we are sorry this sucks, but we have no intention of changing it back because this way makes us more money. At least we'd be on the same page.

All of our feedback and complaining will get us really no where.

1. The legacy tourneys aren't coming back.

2. They aren't actually making cards easier to get, just trade locking more card value. 

3. They are devaluing cards / collections in order to "suck" the value of the value of old packs from the in game economy via more generous ladder rewards. If you destroy the value of old cards, the only thing of value will be new ones. And that's where they make money. People buying packs.

I'm sorry if I seem cynical, but I've been around enough to see the writing on the wall. If beaches aren't available in a later ladder update, I'll eat a sock. But, the point is that Expanded and Standard are pretty much the only tourneys run IRL and Standard keeps getting pushed so that the expanded cards become irrelevant.

Edited by Nin3br3ak3r, 13 March 2018 - 05:26 AM.

18 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

N333

Novice Trainer

• N333

lol are you kidding. this guy is stating facts not "feelings" bring coin tourneys back and revive this game.

18 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

N333

Novice Trainer

• N333

I honestly do not believe the devs are listening to US.

They are listening to the casual players, not US. We are the people who care about the game ENOUGH to complain, but most casual players are where they are making their money.

I wish the mods could be forthright with us and at least say, hey we are sorry this sucks, but we have no intention of changing it back because this way makes us more money. At least we'd be on the same page.

All of our feedback and complaining will get us really no where.

1. The legacy tourneys aren't coming back.

2. They aren't actually making cards easier to get, just trade locking more card value. 

3. They are devaluing cards / collections in order to "suck" the value of the value of old packs from the in game economy via more generous ladder rewards. If you destroy the value of old cards, the only thing of value will be new ones. And that's where they make money. People buying packs.

I'm sorry if I seem cynical, but I've been around enough to see the writing on the wall. If beaches aren't available in a later ladder update, I'll eat a sock. But, the point is that Expanded and Standard are pretty much the only tourneys run IRL and Standard keeps getting pushed so that the expanded cards become irrelevant.

how do they know how the community feels? lolololol

18 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Princess_Aurora

Senior Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
To be honest, I don’t mind really much the update. The intergration of a Computer Search on the ladder will definitively help the casual player, and Token tournaments weren’t very exciting either.

What we need is a 2v2 mode, where you can use your items/supporters on your teammate’s Pokemon, but not allowed to attach energy to his/her Pokemons. You’ll be able to target any of the two opposing active Pokemons, so it can give way to some interesting tactics. Like Hypnosis and Dream Eater combos.

Friendship is magic!