Reviewing "Making it Easier to Get The Cards You Want" one week later: a bad update

• Please log in to reply

06 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

danieljf1989

Novice Trainer

• danieljf1989
I'm gonna try to explain to the devs why we, the players, didn't like the changes

The bad:
-Discontinuing the use of weekly shop bundles (because we want a way to get older promo cards and gameplay items, and with the bundles gone their prices will skyrocket)
-Discontinuing legacy tournaments (because a lot of us enjoy the format enough to not care about the waiting to get one event started, and we want to have a way to get tradeable legacy packs)
-Discontinuing token entry tournaments (because those were a good way for us to get tickets and now, with more tokens available, everyone would be able to participate more)
-Tournament booster pack rewards are now random (because now we are likely to get packs that are worth far less than in the old system, when we got the current booster)

The (kinda) good:
-Bringing all booster packs and theme decks to the shop (we actually want more tradeable packs, not tradelocked packs, so it's not much)
-Increase the amount of tokens in the daily versus reward (more tokens will help, but they are actually not a huge deal for most)
-New versus ladder (it should be better than the current one, we'll wait and see)

Resuming: the good points are not really that good; the bad points are very bad.

And after one week of people complaining we've got no concrete answer from TPCI.

Still waiting...

06 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

Jigglypuffan

Elite Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

remember the 2.32 version release? people were super angry..

they ignored it..

when they get feedback negative, they just don't care and ignore.

06 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

danieljf1989

Novice Trainer

• danieljf1989

remember the 2.32 version release? people were super angry..

they ignored it..

when they get feedback negative, they just don't care and ignore.

I wasn't playing by then. But it's sad to hear that's how they roll. What were the changes introduced in 2.32 that made people mad?

06 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.   

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.  I do appreciate your concerns and can understand where you are coming from.

We continue to watch how things are progressing since the latest updates.  While we don't have any specific follow up items to discuss, we are playing and evaluating.

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

06 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

I wasn't playing by then. But it's sad to hear that's how they roll. What were the changes introduced in 2.32 that made people mad?

You can find it in the Patch Notes and Known Issues of the forums, I know one of the things that people weren't happy about was the ability to turn gameplay animations off being disabled.

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.  I do appreciate your concerns and can understand where you are coming from.

We continue to watch how things are progressing since the latest updates.  While we don't have any specific follow up items to discuss, we are playing and evaluating.

They are not really representative of the player-base as a whole? I find that VERY hard to believe for various reasons.

The TCGO subreddit isn't very happy about this change either and I have a feeling that the closing of one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) trading group on the forum may have had something to do with the new update. I know the TCGO staff visits the former on occasion so they must have seen the response to said update there. And while I do know that many factors could have lead said trading group to this point, it's incredibly suspicious.

06 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Although I suspect that other  languages forums are more or less the same but with few people maybe, I just realized that, the whole (English at least) forums, are not, under any circumstances. "representative of the player-base as a whole",

Because I hadn't seen yet no one celebrating or congratulating the Pokémon company, for the last changes. NO ONE saying "Thank you, I like this and it's good". So I don't know why there are forums or why you ask for some feedback if the whole forums are nor representative of any player base and hence, you don't care if doesn't fit your plans.

I know there are thousands of players not in forums so maybe we are a negligible drop in the ocean. Some data about how much accounts/players are in the Online or how much did Logged in during last month, would be extremely interesting for us to know what's the player base and what is needed to be representative by any mean.

I also know one week is no time enough to get new data and still updates (more changes) coming, so you have to see what happens. But I can bet, whatever comes, we will want still back the Promo bundles, the Legacy tournaments, the last packs in events and everything that was stolen and extremely impoverished with last changes.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

06 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.  

danieljf1989 certainly represents my feelings too. And those of the subreddit. And those of all the people on this forum, by the look of things.

Do we need to start a #MeToo to get this message across? What more can we do to be heard?

06 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

danieljf1989 certainly represents my feelings too. And those of the subreddit. And those of all the people on this forum, by the look of things.

Do we need to start a #MeToo to get this message across? What more can we do to be heard?

That's is a good start, being more vocal about this nonsense on social media is just a good idea in general.

06 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

While I understand that these are your feelings, and possibly those of your friends, they are not really representative of the player-base as a whole.

I dont know what you think is representative. But here are a lot of differend themes with many posting about these changes. All were not happy.

Because I hadn't seen yet no one celebrating or congratulating the Pokémon company, for the last changes. NO ONE saying "Thank you, I like this and it's good". So I don't know why there are forums or why you ask for some feedback if the whole forums are nor representative of any player base and hence, you don't care if doesn't fit your plans.

Support! Where is the representative player base that likes these changes?

What do you think about a voting?

06 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Pentakiru

Rookie Trainer

• Pentakiru

Where is the representative player base that likes these changes?

06 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

TOONAAA

Trainer

• TOONAAA

Where is the representative player base that likes these changes?

Warning: wall of text

The majority of players are casual players. In every TCG casuals make up the largest portion of the playerbase and represent the largest source of revenue. Think about all the different types of people who buy booster packs. Kids, parents, people who pick up a few packs with their copy of ultra sun, etc. These types of customers represent the casual crowd. These players do not go on forums, don't follow regional trends, and don't keep track of which packs are good or bad. Rather than look for sets with the most monetary value, they tend to value sets that contain their favorite pokemon more highly than say GRI or ULP. They hardly trade on pubs and open every single pack they receive or buy. 

On the other end of the spectrum are players who are strictly competitive. They dont care for cards like venusaur EX and don't care about sets like evolutions because the market value for that set is low. In real life, they almost never buy sealed product and only purchase singles from other players. Competitive players want tapu-lele's, they want GRI, and never open packs in order to maximize their value. They trade extensively on pubs and do everything they can to stretch their dollar. The end result is that competitive players represent very little revenue.

Many of the users who frequent this forum are the latter type of players. Its understandable that losing value from tournaments is a feelsbad moment, but you are losing value only when looking through the competitive POV. From a casual perspective, they now receive 6 different packs instead of all one set and 400 tokens to pick up two more packs of their choice! Animations "slowing the game" negatively affect competitive users who grind game after game, yet make the couple games a casual gets in before they sleep much more interesting and fun. If they wanted to monetize PTCGO via gems, they already would have. At the moment, the sole reason PTCGO exists is to supplement the sale of physical booster packs. Given casual players represent more revenue for the pokemon company, its clear which type of consumer the online client should focus on. 

Now knowing all this, negative reactions to these changes are expected. The competitive players have the most to lose from these changes and lash out. Taking away free stuff never ends well. It doesn't help that overall sentiment to moderators are at an all time low (this one is the mod team/staff's fault) and several users relentlessly fan the flames because TCPI is not listening to how they think PTCGO should be ran. The fact most users here think they represent the majority tells me my post here is not gonna go over very well, but I hope this can shed some light and make a couple people think before they lash out at the mods. 

This last bit is personal. If i have to say one thing here; its that most of you are acting like spoiled children. Look at this reaction from all of you and think about why mods are so hesitant to interact with the community. Most of you are not open to any discussion outside your perspective despite not paying for any part of this game. At the most, code cards are literally 0.40 cents each if you go to your local store or buy online and you guys are blowing up over receiving the equivalent of 0.80 cents less when you win a tourney (despite the addition of 400 tokens). If you actually want to converse with the staff about these issues, start being capable of mature discussion. 

Edited by TOONAAA, 07 March 2018 - 12:02 AM.

07 March 2018 - 12:28 AM

Jigglypuffan

Elite Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

i have to agree with some point..

before i was having 2 friends who play the game ( no more friend with them ) ... and those old friend was like you say.

they don't flip , playing a lot in standard only.. they buy ton of locked pack with coin and don't care about legacy..they never looked the forum.....you are all right with this, a lot of people think like that..

but there one thing i know, same this kind of people( my old friend) are probably don't like random pack either.. people in general love to get the actual pack, and if he haves one change you should done , its that.. you should put back 3 actuals pack + 3 randoms packs...

saying this , i know i don't help legacy cause..but i still think even if the population is low , you should keep legacy and put 6 randoms packs from legacy.. this way you also don't have to always update legacy..

Edited by Jigglypuffan, 07 March 2018 - 12:34 AM.

07 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

They are not really representative of the player-base as a whole? I find that VERY hard to believe for various reasons.

The TCGO subreddit isn't very happy about this change either and I have a feeling that the closing of one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) trading group on the forum may have had something to do with the new update. I know the TCGO staff visits the former on occasion so they must have seen the response to said update there. And while I do know that many factors could have lead said trading group to this point, it's incredibly suspicious.

As TOONAAA points out above, there are many thousands (and thousands) of players who play the Pokémon TCG Online.  I'm not at liberty to be exact, but yeah, many thousands - a lot. 

Forum and the sub-reddit participation on these feedback threads are in the tens with overall participation in the hundreds.  I don't say that as a way to say your opinion isn't valid or doesn't count.  It is valid.  It does count.  We appreciate and value your feedback and hearing your opinion.  I'm working to help set your expectations and understanding as to why we do what we do.  In managing the game as a whole, we need to look at the whole and at the different sub-groups. 

We know we won't make everyone happy with every change we make.  We are still evaluating these latest changes.  There is no guarantee or promise that they will be altered.  It is certainly not my decision alone.  I'm here to let you know that we do hear you.

Respectfully yours,

Alex     

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

07 March 2018 - 01:48 AM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

We know we won't make everyone happy with every change we make.  We are still evaluating these latest changes.  There is no guarantee or promise that they will be altered.  It is certainly not my decision alone.  I'm here to let you know that we do hear you.

Respectfully yours,

Alex     

True, 100% of the population will never be satisfied with every patch/change. 

But eliminating game play features simply because only a minority use them is such a backwards step. I keep hearing that these opinions don't represent the 'majority' and since the 'majority' don't play legacy tourneys or obtain tickets through token tourneys that there's not point in having them. By that logic, if only a minority of players are Australian, why not just shut down all the Australian servers? Surely that'll stream line game play for the majority too.

Global inclusion and continuous playability is obviously the main goal here, and I really have faith that you guys can re-implement those goals. Varied game play with awesome, and frequent, upgrades that encourages more inclusion is what is going to keep loyal players from both the majority and the minority coming back each and every time. 

Please, please reinstate these basic features of game play! We should be casting the net wider, not narrowing it.

07 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Yoggington

Novice Trainer

• Yoggington

Toon-aa

I get it. This is a move to increase revenue. I have always been surprised at how far you can get even as a free2play player so a move like this is overdue.

The fact that it's making it harder to get the cards you want. Or even "Making it more expensive to get the cards you want" while being dressed up as some quality of life improvement adds to the general frustration at these backwards steps.

Even the good steps here - the bonus coins & the shop pack availability - are all focused around one thing in common, changing the game toward a more loot-box style gaming environment. Everything will be random eventually, especially if numbers trend up. One of the best things about the game up til now was how little it ventured into that darker side of gambling (and children gambling at that tsk tsk). At least there was always a get-out clause with the trading market. And in fairness to any game designer looking to turn a profit, it can be a very effective system. It's no coincidence where exactly the checkpoints are on the Versus ladder. I'm not going to pass judgement here, but it's vaguely immoral - some dark psychology at work here.

But I'm not a child, nor a parent of a child that wantswantswants. I am quite happy to (and usually do) drop €10-€30 on codes with the release of a new expansion. If the option existed at a reasonable price, I would spend that direct in-game. Conversely, if thanks to these changes I have to double that to get the cards I want now, I will more likely just go out and spend the full €60 on some console game and entertain myself that way for a month instead.

If this is a move to increase revenue, isn't it better in the long term to try and turn those casual fans into more-than-casual? Semi-related, I've already given up buying packs since the move to have umpteen rares in a set. I would have bought 1-2 booster boxes in the XY era per set. Since SM released I have bought just a handful of packs. That's nothing to do with the devs here, but the approach trickles down here from above. And I think this sort of cash-grab will have short term gains (have you seen the cardboard profits in EU for last year?), but it will have the inverse effect long-term. imo, it would be far better to try to cultivate a loyal player-base. The devs can figure that out based on the numbers, which I expect is the only feedback they pay much attention to. Alex can post how he's listening to us all he wants, but I've played the client long enough to have seen actions speak louder than words more than once. Hopefully there is a stock plummet in the amount of people playing tournaments the next few months, that is about the only thing I think will reverse the random prize change.

TOONAAA, on 06 Mar 2018 - 11:58 PM, said:

This last bit is personal. If i have to say one thing here; its that most of you are acting like spoiled children. Look at this reaction from all of you and think about why mods are so hesitant to interact with the community. Most of you are not open to any discussion outside your perspective despite not paying for any part of this game. At the most, code cards are literally 0.40 cents each if you go to your local store or buy online and you guys are blowing up over receiving the equivalent of 0.80 cents less when you win a tourney (despite the addition of 400 tokens). If you actually want to converse with the staff about these issues, start being capable of mature discussion.

I don't know about all this. I mean, yes some people react overly negatively, but chiding them is not improving the discussion either. Feedback was asked for, and there it is for better or worse. People venting against backward steps is not surprising in the least. I have seen some mature discussion mixed in with the venting on previous changes. Didn't make a blind bit of difference then, don't expect it to now.

Edited by Yoggington, 07 March 2018 - 02:17 AM.

07 March 2018 - 02:50 AM

JCGC378

Rookie Trainer

• JCGC378

More coins available is a great thing.  The one point I would like to make is that random tournament boosters make trading much more difficult especially for newer/casual players and not because of lesser "value".  When tournaments are rewarding all (or at least half) of the most recent pack, then there is a predictable form of "currency" to trade with.  It's much more difficult to find acceptable trades to post or complete when both sides have a much more random assortment of packs.  If you know tournaments pay off in a particular pack type (regardless of what the pack type is or how valuable it is), then you can post trades using that pack, and players should be able to more easily get the particular pack they need to trade for the cards they want.  My issue isn't lower "value" from random packs, but that a trade posted in the latest pack is much more difficult to complete if a person who would normally want to make the trade just got random boosters of a different kind (even if they value of the boosters were completely identical and the trade was otherwise desirable for both parties).

07 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

As TOONAAA points out above, there are many thousands (and thousands) of players who play the Pokémon TCG Online.  I'm not at liberty to be exact, but yeah, many thousands - a lot. 

Forum and the sub-reddit participation on these feedback threads are in the tens with overall participation in the hundreds.  I don't say that as a way to say your opinion isn't valid or doesn't count.  We appreciate and value your feedback and hearing your opinion.  I'm just working to help set your expectations and understanding as to why we do what we do.  In managing the game as a whole, we need to look at the whole and at the different sub-groups. 

Respectfully yours,

Alex     

I don't know, but it just feels like TPCi is falling more predatory and player-unfriendly practices that only the most heartless of publishers and developers use and approve of (Electronic Arts being the best example I can think of due to all of the controversy around it).

And with that said, the TCG is on shaky ground. What happened to those times during the BW era and, to some extent, the XY era where we had promos that were good?

Toon-aa

I get it. This is a move to increase revenue. I have always been surprised at how far you can get even as a free2play player so a move like this is overdue.

The fact that it's making it harder to get the cards you want. Or even "Making it more expensive to get the cards you want" while being dressed up as some quality of life improvement adds to the general frustration at these backwards steps.

Even the good steps here - the bonus coins & the shop pack availability - are all focused around one thing in common, changing the game toward a more loot-box style gaming environment. And in fairness to any game designer looking to turn a profit, it can be a very effective system. It's no coincidence where exactly the checkpoints are on the Versus ladder. I'm not going to pass judgement here, but it's vaguely immoral - some dark psychology at work here.

This is why I mentioned the EA thing the above text, it makes me VERY worried for TPCi as a whole given how several governing bodies are becoming more and more critical of the loot-box model in games.

Everything will be random eventually, especially if numbers trend up. One of the best things about the game up til now was how little it ventured into that darker side of gambling (and children gambling at that tsk tsk). At least there was always a get-out clause with the trading market. 

The trading market is another thing I'm worried about. The randomization of tournament packs just makes it harder to do business with them, especially when most won't take packs from certain sets for certain cards. The "death" of Top Cut Trading feels like it's a warning sign for what's to come and VCTC not taking a whopping 34 sets (41 if count other instances) for certain meta cards just feels antithetical to the TCGO staff's "Making it Easier to Get The Cards You Want" statement.

But I'm not a child, nor a parent of a child that wantswantswants. I am quite happy to (and usually do) drop €10-€30 on codes with the release of a new expansion. If the option existed at a reasonable price, I would spend that direct in-game. Conversely, if thanks to these changes I have to double that to get the cards I want now, I will more likely just go out and spend the full €60 on some console game and entertain myself that way for a month instead.

I'm in the same boat. I'll buy codes when I can, but the sets released so far have been iffy and the changes made to the way sets are structured feel like they're becoming more and more bothersome to the consumer. Who here actually likes the idea of Shining Legends being restricted to boxes and an ETB? There at least should've been an option that makes it feel less like Generations and more like Double Crisis or Dragon Vault.

If this is a move to increase revenue, isn't it better in the long term to try and turn those casual fans into more-than-casual? Semi-related, I've already given up buying packs since the move to have umpteen rares in a set. I would have bought 1-2 booster boxes in the XY era per set. Since SM released I have bought just a handful of packs. That's nothing to do with the devs here, but the approach trickles down here from above. And I think this sort of cash-grab will have short term gains (have you seen the cardboard profits in EU for last year?), but it will have the inverse effect long-term. imo, it would be far better to try to cultivate a loyal player-base. The devs can figure that out based on the numbers, which I expect is the only feedback they pay much attention to. Alex can post how he's listening to us all he wants, but I've played the client long enough to have seen actions speak louder than words more than once. Hopefully there is a stock plummet in the amount of people playing tournaments the next few months, that is about the only thing I think will reverse the random prize change.

Agreed, I couldn't have said it better myself. 

07 March 2018 - 03:03 AM

JigglyDad

Rookie Trainer

• JigglyDad

I fall between the two camps, I would say.  I personally do not like the changes, but I don't specifically see the loss of Legacy as a big deal, because I didn't find the format compelling.  That said, I think something needs to be done to improve upon what we've been left with.  Standard, Expanded and Theme are a given, since those reflect real life.  However, it would seem that there could be a lot done with other sorts of alternate formats.

I can appreciate that the company's first interest is going to be in catering to a more casual crowd, but it seems like there aught to be something a little meatier for the more dedicated folks.  This could be done in a lot of different ways.  Eventually if you don't, you do start losing some people who are very into the game, which isn't great for the game/community either.  It seems like every other day, there is someone who posts in the Reddit about being away from the game for a few years/months, and asking about the new metagame.  My impression is that this is a large chunk of the player-base...people who play...get bored with the current metagame, but open it up again when they notice a new set at the store.  It would seem extremely advantageous to keep those players playing consistently.

A few of my ideas, some of which I have put out there before, are:

Tournaments

- Undo the "random" rewards for the tournaments, because the new rewards are a step down to many, and a sideways step for many others.  I think the idea that current boosters would always make up the main chunk of the rewards made sense.  Even if that isn't the case, the completely random bundle is difficult to work with for anyone actively trading.

- Hold some sorts of larger tournaments (more than just 8 players), perhaps satellites into weekly tournaments to break it up into chunks.  This would be a slight departure from the special 24 ticket tournaments in that it would involve more players, instead of a higher ticket cost to enter, but it would similarly award better/more prizes.

One possible way that this could work would be that you could win a higher tier of tickets (I'll call it an "EX ticket" in Pokemon-speak) by participating in specifically marked tournaments, instead of boosters.  Those tickets could be used during special weekend tournaments (once again, I will call them "EX tournaments") that awarded better prizes.  Optionally, one would have to use the same deck used to win the EX ticket in the EX tournament.  One may or may not be able to obtain more than one EX ticket in a week, depending on the details.

- Special tournaments for rare promo bundles, real-life cards, etc.  This could be tied into the EX tournaments described above or not.

- Tournaments that followed more of an real-life format to eliminate some of the luck involved.  Once again, probably limited to a certain time window, like a holiday period or weekend where dedicated players would have incentive to play the game in a less casual way.

- Add special (even if random) awards exclusive to tournament winners.  Most likely, this would be a promo card of some sort.

Alternate formats

- Create special formats in lieu of the old special challenges.  For a certain window of time, announce a format that can be played in addition to the main three formats.  The range of options boggles the mind (I would love to see standard or expanded with Lysandre and Guzma blacklisted for example).  While each new format may not get a huge number of people involved, it would be a challenge for the hard-core folks.  Some might even level the playing field for newer players (blacklisted Lele and/or Shaymin, no EX/GX).  The main point of this would be to give the hardcore players something to do when the lulls hit (the metagame gets stale and no new sets are coming out soon).

General

- Improve the game interface for trading, tournaments and chat by allowing the use of smaller or scale-able fonts.  So much of the game interface is clunky, outdated and functions poorly.  In my mind, the biggest obstacle to the game being more immersive and compelling is that as soon as you step outside of the actual games, the interface is brutal.  It is really hard to justify spending any time in the trade channels when everything goes by so quickly, is compressed in a small area, etc.  (Nevermind the horribly overactive censor)

- Bring back some form of chat in normal versus games beyond the extremely limited chat available now.

Those are just a few of many ideas.

07 March 2018 - 05:02 AM

MavieBo146

Rookie Trainer

• MavieBo146
Count me as another player who doesn't like these changes as a whole.

I like the changes to the daily Rewards in terms of earning tokens. But I don't like it enough to offset how much I dislike the switch to random packs for tournament rewards. I've literally stopped playing tournaments for this reason alone.

07 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

the only thing i dislike about the changes is that it now takes a long time to start a tournament because many players don't want to waste their tickets on prizes they think are not that good. i haven't joined a tournament since the changes because not one ever starts. i'm not going to sit here and wait till kingdom come for 8 players to be completed.

taking away legacy also hurts the game. i know. i understand they want to force the players to buy more and by taking away legacy, they're forcing legacy players to either get new packs or stop playing. but they must not understand that F2P players will never shell out money no matter what they do. these players will just leave the game and find some other F2P game they can play. those who do spend do so because they can.

games like these fail because those who manage it never seem to understand that the game model needs both paying and non-paying players. if you drive away the F2P players, the paying players won't have anyone to play with.

ofc, TPCi's revenue comes from the physical product so why should they really care about PTCGO?