I feel that the lack of coin entry tournaments has made the game less fun

• Please log in to reply

05 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

It's obvious that the coin entry tournaments - used to collect tickets - has now been completely removed from the game. The only way now to get tickets is to grind and pray the magical wheel lands on a ticket, or to fork out money to the Pokemon company. 

I really hoped this was a joke, or a short-term tournament system being trialled to introduce new packs, but it seems to be a permanent change. If so, the lack of coin entry tournaments has reduced the game to a micro-transaction riddled pay-to-win platform that serves no purpose other than a money-draining machine. An enormous segment of the game is now inaccessible to casual (yet loyal) users. 

This is a really disappointing move by the company. Ticket purchases were always an option, but now they've become mandatory if you actually wish to compete in tournaments. The alternative grinding is not worth the payout, since the randomness of obtaining a single ticket per match is so low. 

This is a sad and disappointing move that drains the game of its enjoyment, fairness, and usability. Micro-transactions targets only a small subset of hardcore paying players and blatantly severs the rest of its users from the platform. 

Without coin entry tournaments, I can't see a reason to keep playing. 

05 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

melmarcant

Rookie Trainer

• melmarcant
Add to that the total randomness of the packs and I see no interest in playing tournaments

05 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Purchasing tickets was a really bad option before (compared to just buying code cards).  Now it's even worse because the expected value of a tournament has dropped.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

05 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

NOTE: Original title of this post was changed by moderators from 'A lack of coin entry tournaments has destroyed the game', which I believed was an apt description of my frustration.

No bad words used, still censored by moderators??

Edited by ajconway, 05 March 2018 - 11:50 PM.

05 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

Hi Ajconway,

A couple things to know about the previous tournaments for Trainer Token entry that had Event Ticket rewards:

* Participation in Trainer Token entry Tournaments that had Event Ticket rewards was significantly lower to other tournaments.  

* Queue times for Trainer Token entry Tournaments could be very long, especially in off peak hours.

* Most players who collected Event Tickets gathered them from Daily Versus Rewards, Versus Rewards Ladder or Daily Login rewards and not from Trainer Token entry Tournaments.

I can't go into the specifics of the above data, but this is what we looked at when making this decision.  Of course, that likely isn't your experience.  There certainly were some players who were engaged in Trainer Token entry Tournaments, but as a whole, not a lot.  

By removing these Trainer Token entry Tournaments we simplified the Tournaments available, removed a potentially confusing Tournament rotation and long queues and also streamlined the operation of the game.  We are keeping an eye on how the changes play out and will continue to refine in the future.  

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. 

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

05 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

Add to that the total randomness of the packs and I see no interest in playing tournaments

Then what else is there to do? What's the point of collecting cards if there's no competitive way to test them? 

05 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

NOTE: Original title of this post was changed by moderators from 'A lack of coin entry tournaments has destroyed the game', which I believed was an apt description of my frustration.

No bad words used, still censored by moderators??

Ajconway, the title was changed to make it your feedback and not a sweeping generalization of the state of the game.    We understand that you don't like the change to remove tournaments that had Trainer Token entry requirements.  The title change was to keep the feedback more constructive and that it represents your personal opinion. 

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

06 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway

Hi Ajconway,

A couple things to know about the previous tournaments for Trainer Token entry that had Event Ticket rewards:

* Participation in Trainer Token entry Tournaments that had Event Ticket rewards was significantly lower to other tournaments.  

* Queue times for Trainer Token entry Tournaments could be very long, especially in off peak hours.

* Most players who collected Event Tickets gathered them from Daily Versus Rewards, Versus Rewards Ladder or Daily Login rewards and not from Trainer Token entry Tournaments.

I can't go into the specifics of the above data, but this is what we looked at when making this decision.  Of course, that likely isn't your experience.  There certainly were some players who were engaged in Trainer Token entry Tournaments, but as a whole, not a lot.  

By removing these Trainer Token entry Tournaments we simplified the Tournaments available, removed a potentially confusing Tournament rotation and long queues and also streamlined the operation of the game.  We are keeping an eye on how the changes play out and will continue to refine in the future.  

Thanks for the reply,

I did experience wait times in queues, BUT the payout was significantly greater in terms of collecting bulk tickets than the winner's versus rewards (one ticket on 7th win once a day/random mystery boxes, if you're lucky) or login prizes (one ticket every five days?). It is slow and eliminates player participation in the game.

There has to be a way to gather enough tickets to compete in an 8-ticket tournament that is achievable on a daily basis without relying on luck.

If coin entry tournaments are going to be eliminated, there must be an in-game method of getting tickets. The simplest way would be to create an in-game trade system where you can get tickets with your own coins through the shop. 89 coins per ticket. Easy. No queues. No hassle. People are then forced to play continuously in order to get sufficient amounts of coins to get tickets, without being forced to wait in queues. Those who want to keep their coins for decks etc, will likely pay for tickets.

If that system existed, I would be playing 24/7.

06 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

Hi Ajconway,

Well, well, well...

Look who finally decided to appear.

Hello Mr. Alex Leary.

It would be really kind if you could honor us with your presence

here http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

and here http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56016-the-real-rant-s04e04-an-open-letter-volume-2/

as there are a lot of things to answer to the players (including myself).

Good luck handling the storm.

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

/u/The_Real_Bug_ /r/ptcgo

06 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

Hi Ajconway,

Then why did I experience not-as-long queue times in Theme deck trainer token entry tourneys as that of Legacy tourneys back in the days they were available? Why ditch the 3 tickets in three battles(trainer token entry) in favor of encouraging Versus grinding for unbearable amounts of time such as 1 every 9 wins(outside of token entry tourneys, outside of daily rewards and unreliable mystery boxes that may or may not give you tickets, 9 versus wins is the only way to get 1 ticket)? Are you saying three battles shows not enough effort exerted to justify the worth of participation in any tourney w/o paying up in real money? 

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

06 March 2018 - 01:44 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Hi Ajconway,

I’d use a certain phrase involving farm animals and loads here, but I’d get censored and possibly banned for it.

But with that said I agree with what others are saying. The folks at TPCi are leaving us with two options in regards to getting Tickets, we either accrue them via the given free methods (With the Mystery Box’s payouts STILL needing to be addressed) or we pay an exorbitant amount of REAL money for certain amounts Tickets.

Edited by grriffinn, 06 March 2018 - 11:49 AM.

06 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Luigi439

Rookie Trainer

• Luigi439
It would be good to have a topic to discuss about new ideas to increase tickets in the game and to vote those ideas.

I saw lots of people proposed these ideas so far, so I decided to gather them in this post:

1. Buy tickets with real money

I think is cheaper to buy virtual packs, than buy tickets to take parts in tournaments where you aren't sure to win valuable packs. People can buy tickets to support the game, but they dont buy them to join tournaments, because they are very expensive and you can win only random packs.

2. Buy tickets with tokens

Last update increased tokens in game, so we can use tokens to buy packs or we can use to buy tickets.
89 tokens = 1 ticket it could be a good idea.

3. Gains tickets from tournaments

Reintroduce tournaments ticket in game.

4. Gains tickets from daily versus

After 11 wins you gains 1 ticket instead to gain 5 token. Tokens increased in last update so it's better to gain tickets istead to gain tokens.

5. Gains tickets from versus ladder

We need to wait next update to see last changes, but I can suggest this idea: 
to gain 1 ticket after each win, when you completed the versus ladder (if you gained the full art trainer).

6. Gains tickets from daily login

Increase tickets in daily login.

Someone can open a topic about this so we can discuss and vote some ideas about tickets.
I hope this will help to improve the game.

Edited by Luigi439, 06 March 2018 - 02:05 PM.

06 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx
By removing these Trainer Token entry Tournaments we simplified the Tournaments available, removed a potentially confusing Tournament rotation and long queues and also streamlined the operation of the game. 

Hi Alex Leary

thank you for taking the time to expain the reasons behind the changes.

If I understand correctly, it boils down to “we need to streamline the operation of the game and this won't hurt many users”, since other reasons could find other solutions.

E.g. tournament rotation is just one of many features in the game that are confusing to new players, so the issue should rather be to adress the confusion e.g. with more help pages.

“Streamlining” the game is vague however. I suppose it means “we want to remove everything that's not widely used to make it easier to maintain the game”?

06 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Vizeraid

Rookie Trainer

• Vizeraid

so you are saying you removed the to

Hi Ajconway,

so you are saying you guys took the ticket tournaments down, because of a lack of participation on them, alright it sounds fair but, have you measured the participation rates right now? never in my life have i waited more than 10 minutes to enter a Theme deck event, and last time i tried it, after waiting for 4 days to get enough tickets (due to the fact that NONE of the boxes did actually give me a single ticket) i had to wait for about 15 minutes to get in there, and the rewards? useless packs people won't even trade me because the trade market is in shambles right now too.

how is this any better? it just feels like lazy management to me, now you have less people doing tournaments, i guess that's less work for you guys and less stress on the server.

(i'm sorry if i sound offensive but i had to be straight here...)

06 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

ajconway

Rookie Trainer

• ajconway
If a single ticket was the winners prize after every 11th win, instead of 5 useless coins, that would also be acceptable. Because it requires players to PLAY the game to earn what they want, instead of relying on logins and luck. And it gives you a purpose to keep playing after 11 wins.

06 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

Loof6

Senior Trainer

• Loof6

It could be so easy. You see, we do not like the changes. Just give us back legacy and ticket events and the rewards rotation of the events. And while you're at it, please, the weekly promo bundles, too. Many Thanks.