Ever Been to a Pokemon Center store?

• Please log in to reply

04 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hey, out of curiosity, has anybody ever been to a Pokémon Center store?  I don't mean online, but rather, actually been to an actual store offline?  Either in Japan or the US?I haven't, mainly because time and money just hasn't been on side lately.

04 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

I would also be interested to know this! I've never been to one myself, but I would love to be able to! I believe there are only a couple in the United States. 

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 March 2018 - 03:20 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Pokémon wasn't on the radar yet when I lived in Japan, so I don't know much about that.  But it appears there's only one in the USA at the Nintendo World Store in NYC.

I'm glad I googled this because they have 4 vending machines in the Seattle area, and I didn't know they existed.

Do Target and GameStop count?  The Pokémon Center FAQ thinks so. :wacko:

Edited by RobRatt, 04 March 2018 - 03:28 AM.

04 March 2018 - 03:41 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

I think that would be up for debate.

04 March 2018 - 04:40 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Pokémon wasn't on the radar yet when I lived in Japan, so I don't know much about that.  But it appears there's only one in the USA at the Nintendo World Store in NYC.

I'm glad I googled this because they have 4 vending machines in the Seattle area, and I didn't know they existed.

No kidding, what is in the vending machines?

Moderator Alder

04 March 2018 - 06:03 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

No kidding, what is in the vending machines?

I would have provided a link the first time, but the censor killed it.  Here's all I know (below), from their support page.  It says all the vending machines offer the same lineup, but it's not very specific.  Still, if there's rush hour traffic, at least we know there's a diversion right off I-5.

There are four Pokémon Center vending machines in the Seattle area:

◾Northgate Mall in Seattle
◾Southcenter Mall in Tukwila
◾Tacoma Mall in Tacoma
◾South Hill Mall in Puyallup

They all offer the same lineup of plush, video games, figures, Trading Card Game, and charms.

Edited by RobRatt, 04 March 2018 - 06:06 AM.

04 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

Mod_RedDragon

• Mod_RedDragon

I think it would be really cool to visit a Pokémon Center store! I am not super big on plush characters, but the Pokémon plush are just too cool. I need them all! 

Moderator RedDragon

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I should note that I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan as of right now, at least compared to myself at the age of 10 (lucky as a kid from the 90s I caught the Pokemania at the perfect age). Thus, I'm not interested in any merchandising surrounding the franchise.

Either way, I visited two distinct Pokemon shops in Tokyo and I might as well tell you about it:

Tokyo Skytree in Sumida

Although it can be a bit tricky to get to the Skytree via subway ( I think you have to changed twice from the JR Yamanote line to smaller local lines), the Skytree is a great attraction, with two viewing platforms at 350 and 450 meters. However, the Skytree is also filled with 7 or 8 floors of shopping, entertainment and museums, which are definitely worth the entry (pro tip: don't enter through the tourist entry, as it is 3 times the prize of the regular entry!).

The Pokemon shop there is rather small, but if you've never seen anything like it its still kinda impressive to see so many plush toys, figures and various memorabilia on display (just google for Tokyo Skytree Pokemon Center).

If you are going there primarily for the Pokemon Center you might be a bit disappointed though, as the store isn't that big and except for a couple of Skytree themed plushes you won't likely find anything that you couldn't buy online as well.

The Skytree is a great attraction though and exploring every level of it will entertain you for hours =).

Sunshine City in Ikebukuro

Probably the biggest and most famous Poke Center is located in the mega shopping mall that is Sunshine City. Personally I'm not a huge fan of shopping malls and thus Sunshine City isn't on my top priority list when I'm in Tokyo, but if you are into strolling through hundreds of shops, ranging from fashion, to music, to entertainment, to basically everything you can imagine, than Sunshine City is the place for you.

The Poke Center is no exception to this rule, as they pretty much have everything you could want and more. It's also a great place for taking pictures (i.e. next to the iconic Charizard and Pikachu statue). If you are looking to go on a Poke shopping spree that this is the place to be :D.

Akihabara

If you are primarily interested in the Pokemon TCG / VG then I'd suggest a visit to Akihabara. The place is famous enough, so I won't waste your time promoting it.

Miraikan National Museum in Odaiba

Probably the greatest Pokemon related attraction I visited in Tokyo was the Poke Lab exhibition in the Miraikan Museum in 2015. As a visitor you acted as a research assistant, exploring the long lasting impact of the franchise, video game culture and information technology throughout the years, as well as the development of playing and thinking in regards to the Pokemon video games.

Unfortunately the exhibition only ran from July to October 2015, but it was definitely an experience to remember :).

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

05 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Thank you for that info Felidae_!! I would like to be both in Tokyo and a Pokemon shop very much in the near future!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

06 March 2018 - 01:12 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I haven't been in person, but a family member went when she was in Tokyo for work.  She bought me a promo box- probably only about $15 there.  The cards (together) are worth $40 in the U.S.  :D 

'Course, that's not a good option for making a profit, because plane tickets.  But if you're overseas anyway...

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

06 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Felidae_, thank you for sharing those experiences with us! I just keep finding more and more reasons why I would like to visit Japan someday. 

I know there is a Nintendo store in New York, and I would love to be able to visit there as well. It looks amazing!

Moderator Jynthu