The Real Rant (S04E04: An Open Letter Volume 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

03 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

The Real Rant

Host: The_Real_Bug

Season 4 - Episode 04: An Open Letter Volume 2

The only thing that was left for us is our voices and i am planning to overuse it until my fingers will bleed on the keyboard.

Dear TPCI,

why are you doing this?

Why are you rushing a product to its demise so fast?

Why are you implementing things that nobody asked for?

Why you are never listening what the players have to say?

Why do you always try to fix something that is not broken?

Why you are never asking the players' opinion on certain topics?

Why does it always have to be on your terms?

Why do you always take one step forward and two steps backwards?

Why?

Are you not aware that you are hurting in-game's trading mechanism and economy?

Are you not aware that you are forcing the game to become stale?

Are you not aware that all your latest decisions are for the worst?

Are you not aware that players were not, are not and will not ever be willing to pay for tickets in order to participate in events that are rewarding irrelevant booster packs?

Are you not aware that players are rooting for your participation in a dialogue about the game's future but you keep holding us waiting on the door forever?

Are you not aware that a simple feedback thread means nothing unless you actually comment in it?

Are you not aware of any of this?

Forget about The Real Bug forum gimmick that i have created in order to create some buzz and draw attention to my threads.

My name is [Edited by Mod_Jynthu - Sharing personal information is not permitted] and i am a 29 years old Pokemon fan from Greece.

PTCGO is a game that i have not stopped playing since the day that i discovered it, a game that drove me away from the toxic enviroment of Steam games and a game that helps me relax while i am listening to my favorite music.

As a player, i am often offended by your stance and i am questioning myself equally often of why am i still playing a game that i do not enjoy as much as when i was starting it.

The answer is simple, i love pakermon this game.

As a kid i did not have the proper chance to participate in the frenzy of trading card games so when i found out about PTCGO i knew that it would be a game that i would login daily.

I did not choose Magic The Gathering, i did not choose Yu-Gi-Oh and i did not choose Hearthstone.

I chose PTCGO because, for me, it is the mother of all card games.

It is amazing how a game written on Unity player has so much to offer, gameplay wise.

So what is wrong with the game is not the gameplay, the game engine or the code that is written on but its management.

You can not have a healthy connection between the developers and the players by having close to zero interaction within the empty official forums, a customer service with copy-paste policy and by turning the tables every 3 months by performing drastic changes without asking anybody.

That is not how it works.

You do not have a dedicated community manager? Assign this task to some of the top posters within our community.

You are trapped under the umbrella of the mother company's policies? Release an FAQ about certain things in order to help the flooded with complaints Customer Service.

You need help with interaction with the playerbase? Use the PTCGO streamers as mediators.

For every problem there is a solution but only if you are willing to try.

My thread may be boring to read but it is my honest opinion on what is going on right now with PTCGO.

Dear TPCI,

please take a moment and read this.

In the end of the day, even if nobody from TPCI will read this, i will not stop sharing my opinion until someday somebody will care about what i am writing or until the day that you will announce that you will be discontinuing PTCGO.

And when the latter comes, because it will someday, i will be still here to tell you "i told you so" because you will be discontinuing PTCGO not for not being much of a draw as a game, but you will be discontinuing it because some of your decisions will eventually be the coup de grace.

Mark my words.

Sincerely,

"The Real Bug"

[Edited by Mod_Jynthu - Sharing personal information is not permitted]

3/3/2018

Edited by Mod_Jynthu, 04 March 2018 - 12:12 AM.
Removed identifying personal information

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

/u/The_Real_Bug_ /r/ptcgo

03 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

danieljf1989

Novice Trainer

• danieljf1989

I'm with you on this bro!

And gonna repeat what I said a few times: please bring back Legacy Events.

I would like to see some TPCI guy answer us with more than a copy and paste message.

Edited by danieljf1989, 03 March 2018 - 06:44 PM.

03 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

You're right.  Their success goes hand-in-hand with our happiness.  Will they see it?

Let's hope some of your questions are a wake-up call, and we get a reply other than "we'll forward this to development."

04 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello The_Real_Bug,

As always, thank you for your feedback. While I know this response is predictable, I have forwarded this to the development team for further review.  I can understand that it may feel like that does nothing, but the development team does take time to review all feedback.

I have modified your post to remove your name, as posting personal information, including real name, is not permitted per the forum rules

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 March 2018 - 12:36 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

I am fully aware that posting my real name is a bannable offence, but i still did it because i like to talk entitled to who i really am and not by hiding behind a forum made up gimmick.

I do not mind the warning points that i received as i will do anything in order to transfer my messages, so be it.

I am looking forward hearing fro TCPI_Samhany and please not in private.

I want everybody to know what is going on.

04 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

While I know this response is predictable, I have forwarded this to the development team for further review.  I can understand that it may feel like that does nothing, but the development team does take time to review all feedback.

It's nice to see a bit of self-awareness from the forum moderators, but the reason why "forwarding to the development team" feels like it does nothing is because, for the most part, it does nothing. That truth is made manifest in the current state of PTCGO itself, and the forums being tinged with the anger of its more impassioned users, myself included.

The development team clearly isn't paying anywhere near enough attention to what's being forwarded, and unfortunately for the forum mods, this has turned "forwarded to the development team" into about as much of a dismal meme as Bungie's infamous "we're listening to feedback" line. Blame the devs for that one.

04 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

Keep it coming people, our voices is our only chance.

Use it.

04 March 2018 - 04:31 AM

SingingFlyEx

Trainer

• SingingFlyEx

How big is the budget / size of the dev team? Is this information public?

Perhaps it's just three guys struggling with a massive bug list and TODO list?

I opened a support ticket recently because my client had frozen in the middle of a tournament. 1-2 days later my 4 tournament tickets had been refunded. I'm impressed. I don't get how support can be so efficient while other aspects of the game are so, er, unimpressive. I'm thinking of opening yet another suggestion thread about the trade interface. But I feel it's useless at the same time. The question is rather, how come some rather-small-but-crucial obvious improvements have not been made yet? Hence the three guys theory.

It could also be a corporate environment that went wrong. A small team can be a lot more efficient than big teams in many scenarios.

I don't know Unity. Perhaps it's very difficult to program a sane interface in Unity.

Obviously PTCGO is wary of interactions with the users of this forum. No member of the dev team discussing what's easy to change, what's not, and how they should go from there. Perhaps there's a risk to the image of the franchise?

They're probably also not telling us frankly the agenda that drives this latest change. I guess a very small minority of players read this forum anyway, so we don't really matter? I imagine the big whigs at PTCGO are currently monitoring closely the various game usage statistics to ossess [intentional typo, guess why lol] whether the changes serve their strategy.

Perhaps a frank announcement could have been “We haven't been serving the franchise well enough because we've been offering too much free stuff, so we've been instructed to nerf that. But it will also be much easier to get locked packs and theme decks. So collecting lots of cards will be much easier for new players and kids, but for the rare cards that you want, you'll need either lucky pulls or to buy codes and trade. We're not too sure how to have attractive tournaments with nerfed rewards, so we've set lowish rewards for now and we'll go from there. Sorry we couldn't tell you in advance, we couldn't risk having everyone burn all their tickets before the nerf and not playing tournaments now. We feared most legacy players wouldn't play in tournaments after the nerf so we've ditched legacy tournaments. And coin tournaments too, to keep the ticket tournaments populated. With the daily ladder now more attractive and the tournaments less so, we're not sure what's going to happen. Hopefully we'll find a good way to make the tournaments attractive, then we can make all of that available again, the users of the forum will feel that they won something back, and everybody will be happy.

Suggestion to make the tournaments attractive: the winner gets a victory cup, 2d place gets a runner-up cup worth half a victory cup, probably in addition to the current prizes. Victory cups can be exchanged in a victory shop for locked copies of valuable cards, e.g. 8 for a Zoroark-GX, 25 for a Lele... Maybe 500 for a tropical beach / SR Ultra Ball to keep the heavy players occupied... PTCGO, you can adjust the rates according to your agenda.

Well, this is a rant thread right? Is my rant ranty enough? :)

Edited by SingingFlyEx, 04 March 2018 - 04:35 AM.

04 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

777alex7770

Rookie Trainer

• 777alex7770

You have my support too!

04 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

LegendofZapdos5

Veteran Trainer

• LegendofZapdos5

The Real Rant

Host: The_Real_Bug

Season 4 - Episode 04: An Open Letter Volume 2

The only thing that was left for us is our voices and i am planning to overuse it until my fingers will bleed on the keyboard.

Dear TPCI,

why are you doing this?

Why are you rushing a product to its demise so fast?

Why are you implementing things that nobody asked for?

Why you are never listening what the players have to say?

Why do you always try to fix something that is not broken?

Why you are never asking the players' opinion on certain topics?

Why does it always have to be on your terms?

Why do you always take one step forward and two steps backwards?

Why?

Are you not aware that you are hurting in-game's trading mechanism and economy?

Are you not aware that you are forcing the game to become stale?

Are you not aware that all your latest decisions are for the worst?

Are you not aware that players were not, are not and will not ever be willing to pay for tickets in order to participate in events that are rewarding irrelevant booster packs?

Are you not aware that players are rooting for your participation in a dialogue about the game's future but you keep holding us waiting on the door forever?

Are you not aware that a simple feedback thread means nothing unless you actually comment in it?

Are you not aware of any of this?

Forget about The Real Bug forum gimmick that i have created in order to create some buzz and draw attention to my threads.

My name is [Edited by Mod_Jynthu - Sharing personal information is not permitted] and i am a 29 years old Pokemon fan from Greece.

PTCGO is a game that i have not stopped playing since the day that i discovered it, a game that drove me away from the toxic enviroment of Steam games and a game that helps me relax while i am listening to my favorite music.

As a player, i am often offended by your stance and i am questioning myself equally often of why am i still playing a game that i do not enjoy as much as when i was starting it.

The answer is simple, i love pakermon this game.

As a kid i did not have the proper chance to participate in the frenzy of trading card games so when i found out about PTCGO i knew that it would be a game that i would login daily.

I did not choose Magic The Gathering, i did not choose Yu-Gi-Oh and i did not choose Hearthstone.

I chose PTCGO because, for me, it is the mother of all card games.

It is amazing how a game written on Unity player has so much to offer, gameplay wise.

So what is wrong with the game is not the gameplay, the game engine or the code that is written on but its management.

You can not have a healthy connection between the developers and the players by having close to zero interaction within the empty official forums, a customer service with copy-paste policy and by turning the tables every 3 months by performing drastic changes without asking anybody.

That is not how it works.

You do not have a dedicated community manager? Assign this task to some of the top posters within our community.

You are trapped under the umbrella of the mother company's policies? Release an FAQ about certain things in order to help the flooded with complaints Customer Service.

You need help with interaction with the playerbase? Use the PTCGO streamers as mediators.

For every problem there is a solution but only if you are willing to try.

My thread may be boring to read but it is my honest opinion on what is going on right now with PTCGO.

Dear TPCI,

please take a moment and read this.

In the end of the day, even if nobody from TPCI will read this, i will not stop sharing my opinion until someday somebody will care about what i am writing or until the day that you will announce that you will be discontinuing PTCGO.

And when the latter comes, because it will someday, i will be still here to tell you "i told you so" because you will be discontinuing PTCGO not for not being much of a draw as a game, but you will be discontinuing it because some of your decisions will eventually be the coup de grace.

Mark my words.

Sincerely,

"The Real Bug"

[Edited by Mod_Jynthu - Sharing personal information is not permitted]

3/3/2018

That's my brother-always speaking his MIND! ^___________^

04 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug
Hearthstone is written in Unity player as well, just look how successful it is.
That's what I want for PTCGO.

05 March 2018 - 03:56 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Thank you for doing this, I'll also throw my hat into the arena as well. What TPCi is doing is only going to scare more serious players away and leave a pool of casual players that NO company should ever rely on.

07 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

PMZY

Rookie Trainer

• PMZY

Thank you,my brother! :wub:

Edited by PMZY, 07 March 2018 - 09:26 AM.

07 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

I promise you people, i won't stop until we get what we want.

07 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

DudeMaster01

Rookie Trainer

• DudeMaster01

The fact they say that the got rid of the event to win tickets was because they took along time to fill up(which is fals) but now no one has tickets the actual events take aaaaages to fill up. lmao. seems to me they are trying to crash the price of cards so new players can get into the game.with out all the trad-able packs from events entering the game packs are going to be very hard to come across so the codes you get from packs will be morre valuable. 

07 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Without all the tradable packs from events, packs are going to be very hard to come across so the codes you get from packs will be more valuable. 

That and, if the Ticket issue isn't fixed soon, it also forces players to buy them if they want to regularly compete in tournaments. But I'm not sure which I'm more bothered by; that or the packs you get from winning tournaments being completely random now.

07 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

joeythebigboss

Senior Trainer

• joeythebigboss
Fully agree these guys don’t listen and aren’t adapting to make this game more fun and engaging. No one asked to remove Legacy tournaments I see a lack of motivation and passion and I’m bored and tired of the stailness!!

07 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
Fist of all: Finally a TRR episode that I enjoyed from beginning to the end. A personal anecdote, heartfelt passion, sparking a good discussion and a bit of stylistic writing, that's the TRR that I remember.
In your last episodes you honestly sounded more like an angry middle aged women who demanded to speak with the manager, after being upset that her double steakhouse burger was neither vegan, nor gluten free. Sorry mate :P.

Now, back on track. I've thought about this whole issue, read a lot of comments on the forum ( sorry, I'm not checking reddit) and so far the user that nailed the entire thing time and time again has gotten nothing but down-votes.
It hurts me to say this, because I like to thing of myself as a beautiful butterfly, whose voice is recognised by the world, but the harsh reality is that we are the minority.
Yes, if you look the forum you'll see pretty much a unified distaste of the current patch and likely so, because the changes are bad for us, that's a fact. However, we are still outnumbered vastly by the silent majority, who either doesn't care about the patch, or, and I can't believe I say that, even likes it.
I guess it's a natural behaviour on the internet to see more negative feedback than positive, because you aren't likely to leave a lengthy comment if every is going fine for you. Compare the number of item reviews on Amazon that simply say “great product, hadn't have a single problem” with those that criticise a product. I'm pretty sure that one of those will outweigh the number by a huge margin.

After sipping through the initial responses I probably had the same reaction as everyone here: If everybody seems to hate it, how could TPCI even justify this decision. But then again you also have to remember that they are long enough in the business and wouldn't likely implement such a big change without the corresponding data. “They are greedy and only want us to buy tournament tickets!” I hear you scream and quite frankly I'd agree with you. Though I'd probably change the word “greedy”.
“They are killing the game!” I hear you shout. Why, because they randomized the packs for the tournaments, making it more difficult to obtain high value packs for trading? A reasonable argument, but only if the number of participants for tournaments actually go down over the next weeks. In fact, even if participation drops a little bit, but the number of ticket sells increase by a large factor, than this current marketing strategy has already paid out for them.
Not to mention that the casual player likely doesn't care which pack he receives anyway.

Last, but not least, let's talk about Legacy and I have to admit that the responses given here are really making me angry.
While I'm also extremely upset that they discontinued the Legacy tournaments, I have absolutely no sympathy for every cry baby that proclaims “you killed Legacy!”. Last time I checked you can play Legacy 24/7, every day, without any entry fee. The Legacy tournaments always had a longer queue time and even though I don't mind to wait a little longer and would love nothing more than seeing them returning, I have to wonder: where have all of you guys been in the past ~ 2 years ? If there was such a huge demand, why haven't you joined more Legacy tournaments ? Why haven't you been more active in the versus mode ?
Don't rant about a format that the vast majority of the player-base (and this time I will include the forum in this) have been partially ignoring for so long.
Oh, and if your argument contains the words “Genesect”, “Celebi” and “OP” you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about, or you are stuck in an ELO **** where no one has yet glimpsed the actual meta game of this format.

Bottom Line:
The update sucks, we won't be able to change it and if that is reason enough for you to quite the game I can understand your point, but note that your heroic act isn't going to leave any kind of impression in the long run.
I for one am going to play a round of Legacy now, which you can still do and enjoy without a problem, as crazy as it seems.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

07 March 2018 - 11:47 PM

Loof6

Senior Trainer

• Loof6

Furthermore, I can not imagine that anyone can find the canceling feature good. Even if you do not use it, you are not happy when it no longer exists. All right, there are people who do not care. But find it good? I do not think so.

If we, who speak, are not the majority, who knows what the majority wants? Nobody! Why is it decided on the basis of assumptions? How can you make decisions based on the silent folk? A government is not formed because of the non-voters.

I think that the TCPi has determined that the effort for the legacy events, ticket events and shop bundles is not worthwhile. In addition, the devs save the expense of reward rotation by now giving random boosters.

But if that's the reason for the changes, why are they disguising it? Why is there no information? For example, this and that is underused, so we stop that on the 24th of December, should there be no significant change in activity. We could better use the resources elsewhere.

I could understand that sooner. But we are simply faced with accomplished facts. So it is clear that we have the feeling that nobody is interested in our interests. There would be no game without us. No game without a player.

08 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

Fist of all: Finally a TRR episode that I enjoyed from beginning to the end. A personal anecdote, heartfelt passion, sparking a good discussion and a bit of stylistic writing, that's the TRR that I remember.
In your last episodes you honestly sounded more like an angry middle aged women who demanded to speak with the manager, after being upset that her double steakhouse burger was neither vegan, nor gluten free. Sorry mate :P.

-

Bottom Line:
The update sucks, we won't be able to change it and if that is reason enough for you to quite the game I can understand your point, but note that your heroic act isn't going to leave any kind of impression in the long run.
I for one am going to play a round of Legacy now, which you can still do and enjoy without a problem, as crazy as it seems.

HAHAHAHAHA  :lol:

Thank you for your kinds words and for the laugh mate  :)

As for your conclusion, allow me to share something i just read.

Hi-Rez rolled back the OB64 update of their game called Paladins with their latest OB67 update after the players went on a rampage within their forums for about 3 months.

Our only chance against an unwanted change is our voices of concern so personally i'm willing to keep turning up the heat until we get what we want.

Edited by The_Real_Bug, 08 March 2018 - 01:27 AM.