Pre-HGSS sets in ptcgo

• Please log in to reply

02 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

TOONAAA

Trainer

• TOONAAA

Booster packs from HGSS were the first sets to contain code cards as an added incentive. Prior to that, the online client didn't exist and older sets were limited to physical copies. There is a huge swathe of products TPCI have been neglecting: older sets. Most of them are no longer in print, and despite singles holding on to pretty price tags, TPCI receives no further revenue from them. I suggest TCPI introduces these out of print sets to the ptcgo. These are extremely collectible cards, and the demand for the physical singles from these sets show players want cards regardless of their playability. 

Here's the kicker, the only way to obtain these cards would be by buying gems. Collectors have shown they are willing to pay through the nose for vivid deck boxes and gem promos. Imagine the revenue you could drive from adding past sets exclusively to ptcgo. A reprint in this manner wouldn't damage the physical secondary market at all and serves to cater to a demographic of users who have shown to spend serious amounts to fill their collecting needs. 

The current price for Ultra Prism is roughly 4 USD via gems, but less than 0.50 cents online. With this kind of discrepancy, there is no way gems would work. However, taking a look at some of the older sets such as DP and Neo Genesis, their price ranges from 10 to 20 per pack! You guys can EASILY charge 4 USD in ptcgo and still have many willing buyers! This could open the way for an implementation of the gem system and give the game a bigger budget.

The sets have already been designed, you guys code and add new sets multiple times a year. All this would do is take advantage of your older product lines and cater to a market you know exists.

P.S. An added benefit of the a implemented gem system is the severe reduction in real money transactions (since you can trade using gems as currency) and it would drive immense revenue for this game, adding to the budget. You guys could bring a ton of legitimacy to this game and take it to the next level. Seems like a good risk to take.

Edited by TOONAAA, 02 March 2018 - 08:51 PM.

02 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Booster packs from HGSS were the first sets to contain code cards as an added incentive. Prior to that, the online client didn't exist....

Code cards were introduced in the Black & White series, not HGSS.  Initially, you could choose which pack you wanted to redeem.  You weren't limited by the particular set that Code came from.

Sorry to disagree, but if they ever go backwards, and try to monetize the Online game to this level, expecting people to collect virtual cards that have ZERO playability in real-world events, I'd be having a fire sale the next day.  C'mon man.  This PTCGO is a supplement to the physical card game, and exists only because of it.  When's the last time you've heard someone say, "I can't wait to get some of those Diamond & Pearl cards," IRL or Online?  I highly doubt if you'd find 10 people globally who would pay real money (via Gems) for these older, non-playable Online cards.

If they monetize the game more, which I'm not totally against, it had better be something special, and much cheaper than the Canadians have been paying in Gems.

Edited by RobRatt, 02 March 2018 - 10:05 PM.

02 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

They could go back as far as the third gen "ex" sets in theory (WotC did the sets before that), but I'd rather see them get the game into a better state first.

As far as people willing to buy them? Gems are still restricted to Canada, and they aren't exactly cheap at that. Moreover, they've killed off Legacy tournaments, reducing the viability of older cards. They did that because there weren't enough people playing them as it was.

The older cards have different rulesets, and would bring along even more bugs than we've seen with this latest expansion.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

02 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Agree with the previous comments, I don't mind if they bring older cards. The more, the better, but for everyone.

This would be a step in a good direction. People is willing to have older cards IRL because they worth something (money talking or feelings). Virtual cards doesn't worth anything, and if we talk about feelings it's ok, but for cards that won't be playable I don't get the point at all. Also we don't own the cards. All the game and content belongs to the Company.

Risky, you've said. I don't think Pokémon Company is thinking about it in this moment. A lot of huge changes started to come, with us being quite upset with those. Still to see how the game evolves and if they make a step back to make us happy having Legacy and latest packs as prize, and not random stuff, and the Bundles also.

Additionally, they would have to huge reinforce their security protocols if they are going to add so much monetizing content. It's huge to loose valuable cards as Beaches and PLF SR UBs. For sure there have been money involved in getting those so expensive items. But still would be worse to have accounts cracked if they contain a lot of gems.which is money itself. And I don't feel Pokémon company is thinking on having that problems, even though they are granted not to claim or being lawsuit by their Terms and services.

Still the reputation of the online client would be disputed to the point no one would spend nothing.

The online it's a thing spare of their real business, the physical products. Still to wait a lot to see (just see) if they add gems in other markets apart from the Canadian. So a huge monetizing change seems more than improbable from the present point of view. Different law environments means a lot of lawyers analysing the different markets and rules. If they didn't added the gems in USA, which is for sure the bigger business opportunity that they could dream, is because this have to be quite difficult.

Other than that, bring the packs for everyone would be great, while adding a new mode, "pre legacy". While they right now half destroyed the entire format denying the possibility to get unlocked packs from the removed Legacy events, seems still harder to add a new so older format for us the community.

In short, would be great to bring all that stuff, always being for everyone. But analysing all together, this is so far to happen that asking for it seems (sadly) a mere waste of time.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

02 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Booster packs from HGSS were the first sets to contain code cards as an added incentive. Prior to that, the online client didn't exist and older sets were limited to physical copies. There is a huge swathe of products TPCI have been neglecting: older sets. Most of them are no longer in print, and despite singles holding on to pretty price tags, TPCI receives no further revenue from them. I suggest TCPI introduces these out of print sets to the ptcgo. These are extremely collectible cards, and the demand for the physical singles from these sets show players want cards regardless of their playability. 

Here's the kicker, the only way to obtain these cards would be by buying gems. Collectors have shown they are willing to pay through the nose for vivid deck boxes and gem promos. Imagine the revenue you could drive from adding past sets exclusively to ptcgo. A reprint in this manner wouldn't damage the physical secondary market at all and serves to cater to a demographic of users who have shown to spend serious amounts to fill their collecting needs. 

The current price for Ultra Prism is roughly 4 USD via gems, but less than 0.50 cents online. With this kind of discrepancy, there is no way gems would work. However, taking a look at some of the older sets, their price ranges from 10 to 20 per pack! You guys can EASILY charge 4 USD in ptcgo and still have many willing buyers! This could open the way for an implementation of the gem system and give the game a bigger budget.

The sets have already been designed, you guys code and add new sets multiple times a year. All this would do is take advantage of your older product lines and cater to a market you know exists.

P.S. An added benefit of the a implemented gem system is the severe reduction in real money transactions (since you can trade using gems as currency) and it would drive immense revenue for this game, adding to the budget. You guys could bring a ton of legitimacy to this game and take it to the next level. Seems like a good risk to take.

Hello TOONAAA, 

This does raise a good point regarding Booster packs from HGSS. Thank you for sharing your opinion! 
The developers appreciate opinions of the players, that said, I'm passing yours along. 

Have a lovely day!  :)

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

02 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Bringing old sets back and spicy up the Legacy format would be great, but right now there are too many problems in doing so.

Bringing them back as a pure, gem only, collectors item sounds terrible though.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

02 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

TOONAAA

Trainer

• TOONAAA

Hello TOONAAA, 

This does raise a good point regarding Booster packs from HGSS. Thank you for sharing your opinion! 
The developers appreciate opinions of the players, that said, I'm passing yours along. 

Have a lovely day!  :)

I hope you know I was referencing to sets such as Diamond and Pearl, Neo Series, etc.. Sets wayyy before HGSS.