My Arg NC report

• Please log in to reply

26 February 2018 - 05:11 AM

5card94

Rookie Trainer

• 5card94

I decided to play gardivor gx after testing multiple decks and just saying screw the bad steel matchup. So I expected to do somewhat well but overall I think I did better then expected tho. Ill post my list below but my round summary went like this

Rd 1 I bricked and drew nothing against a really cool guy who gave me good support and advice I don't know his name but I'm sure I'll see him in future events

Rd2 I lost to a really cool deck I wish I would of thought of, it was glaceon gx/ Zorark gx shutting down all my options and making me rely on top decks I quickly lost

So I started 0-2

Rd3 I played against a buzwole deck (personally I think it's a overrated deck and don't think it's that good) so I kill all her Zorark gx and buzwole over all quick and swiftly won when I don't brick and get shut down I can play the deck how its supposed to be played :P

Rd4 I played against a gardivor gx deck but was very odd (it played random cards that aren't optimal at all and questionable the guy also got a attitude with me probably the only bad experience I had in the whole event) anyway I hold field control and ultimately snipe all his top targets and be scoops after I get down too 2 prizes left

Now 2-2

Rd5 I played against a gerniinja break deck the guy was pretty cool but I think the deck is outta it's league when it goes up against a deck that has reliable draw power like Zorark gx which every deck plays so I quickly kill his only gerninja that was a threat and hold him off and eventually win

3-2

Rd6 I played against a garbador deck that played Espeon ex and other stally stuff it goes to time and I get a mallow my second to last turn play it out a field blower and tapu Lele on top having 3 Zorark gx in play I took the oddsy opponent wouldnt play a n or anything that shuffles my deck so Inge doesn't I play field blower getting rid of his tool on garbador and Stadium that limits my bench Pokemon too 3 (forget the name) but I did that then played tapu Lele getting Guzma bring up another Zorark and his hurt Espeon ex and win on turn 3 of time it was a really good *******o enjoyed it alot and got great feedback from players watchi6our game and was told I played it flawlessly and as optimal as possible

4-2 if I win I get my invite to the 5k Arg in Philly

Rd7 I played against a golisopod deck again I start really slow he actually could of killed me on his turn 2 I started with a zouar and he had tapu Lele me going second he doesn't attach energy he plays Bridget gets his set up and passes then I know I can't play a energy cause if he gets dce I lose so I can't really play anything just Cynthia and pass (didn't draw a basic) so he gets a dce and gets frustrated and understandably so lol so I grind out and get one of his golisopods and bring it to 4-2 prizes me being at 4 I take a hit with a gravidor gx and get the return knockout so it's 2-2 and then we eventually grind out until time so I get too my first turn in time and have 2 cards in hand and 3 Zorark gx in play so I trade 1-3 looking for a choice band I miss I then play a sycamore still trying to get a choice band after putting 1 dce and fairy energy on my gardivor and knowing I win if I get choice band I don't get it and have to hope he doesn't get Guzma so I can win next turn my luck ran out on the last turn of the last round and he ripped a Guzma off the top deck and deserved to win after having a great game

Overall I went 4-3 only lost ************ match after bricking on 1 game and getting wrecked by the glaceon gx the worst thing about the event was best of 1 tho I understand it I feel like I would of beat the golisopod deck I don't think it's possible for my deck to beat the glaceon gx deck its pretty rough I'll post my list asap but it's similar to the recent International list just with a few Cynthia and 1 weakness policy I really enjoyed the community and was great to a returning player like myself and can't wait until the next event whatever it is I'll be ready and know what to expect and not just play a solid deck like I did this time probably play something more original but driving 8 hours and waiting Friday and Saturday to play I wanted to take a deck I knew would be good outside of some bad matchups overall I'm excited for the future of me in this game and in the near future everyone will hear my name [Edited by Mod_Jynthu - Sharing personal information is not allowed] again I'll post my list asap

Edited by Mod_Jynthu, 26 February 2018 - 03:01 PM.
Removed personal information

26 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello 5card94,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience!

I have edited your post to remove some personal information. Sharing personal information on the forums is not permitted. I recommend reviewing the forum rules

Thanks!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

26 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Glad to hear that you showed mercy and left your Guzzlord and Genesect decks at home.

Also, am I reading this wrong or did you only play one game in each round ? Doesn't official tournaments always go for bo3 ?

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

26 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Also, am I reading this wrong or did you only play one game in each round ? Doesn't official tournaments always go for bo3 ?

Yes, bigger official Pokémon tournaments, such as Regionals, are "best 2 of 3."

But this report is about a corporate (private company) tournament.  Google ARG Circuit Series.  It was essentially sponsored by a card shop. ...no Play Points, no Championship Points, etc.

It might have been fun, but I don't know how big the player pool is, or whether a Top Cut from these events can hold a candle to 1000+ Regionals results.

Edited by RobRatt, 26 February 2018 - 09:04 PM.

27 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Glad to hear that you showed mercy and left your Guzzlord and Genesect decks at home.

Expanding what RobRatt said, little events like league challenges and small tournaments- such as Cities- oftentimes are just 1-game rounds.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

27 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

5card94

Rookie Trainer

• 5card94

Lol nice troll :P tbf it would of beat everything hoopa would destroy all of those decks none had answers for hoopa that was legitimate imo. Also I wish it was best outta 3 but sadly it was best outta 1 it had 80-90 players probably about 50 knew what too do in competitive Pokemon they cut top8 top 16 got invites (sadly I got 20th lol) to the 5k event in Philly I really think the only way gardevior gx can only lose is due to matchups, brick draws and misplaying (which I don't misplay :P) having a bad match-up and 2 slow starts against probably the one deck you wanna start fast against that being golisopod gx (I'm 90% sure if it was a match I would of beaten the golisopod deck I don't think I can actually beat glaceon gx unless they prize 2-3 of them. I really enjoyed my outing and even tho I didn't top ik it's extremely hard to win 5games of any game in a row let alone Pokemon lol but still it was within reach of me and I couldn't get it which is fine for my first event but next time it won't be top or bust is to motto

Edited by 5card94, 27 February 2018 - 02:00 AM.

27 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Thanks for the info regarding Bo1 / Bo3 Settings.

I'm quite curious though, why is that the case ? I can understand going for a Bo1 if you play a 4 round tournament and don't want to invest 4+ hours to complete it, but for a whopping 7 rounds it just seems to random to rely on Bo1 (given that the coin flip, as well as the opening hand can have a quite tremendous impact on the game).

It also doesn't seem like a good practice for larger scale / official events, especially when it comes to the part of time management.

Again, sorry for nitpicking, but I come from a different background where every tournament, no matter how small, is always bo3.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

27 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Again, sorry for nitpicking, but I come from a different background where every tournament, no matter how small, is always bo3.

As you probably know, how many Rounds there are is determined by how many people attend an Event.  Decisions are made after they find out how many people show up that morning.  The Finals rounds, even if it's Top 4, is usually best 2 of 3.  But a lot of latitude is given to the Tournament Organizers for smaller events, and they may not want to spend their whole Saturday running a small tournament.  Best 2 of 3 rounds take 50 minutes each, with 15-20 minutes of computer time in between to do pairings.

Some other things, like the Store hosting the event, come into play also.  If the store closes at 8 PM, what else can you do?  There's other factors, like "Are we going to have a lunch break?"  Because the day ran long, I've seen a few smaller tournaments end up at Denny's restaurant (or a pizza place) to finish the Top Cut rounds.

Edited by RobRatt, 27 February 2018 - 08:35 PM.

27 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Those are good points, but then again it's up to the TO to plan those things ahead.

If your venue closes at 8 then you better start early enough. Know your audience in advance and listen to their feedback: If everyone is fine with going Bo1 then I'd have no right to complain, though I doubt that's the case. Given that there are far less Pokemon events compared to other popular TCGs, I can't believe that players would travel to a bigger event, only to play 7 games and then go home. Yes, it probably takes up your entire day but how often do you get the chance to play on a big scale with dozens of like minded people (unless you travel to every regional event) ?

As I said, I come from an MtG background and over the years I've played everything, from 8 man booster drafts in an old pub, to 3.000+ player Grand Prixs lasting 2-3 days. Likewise, I've encountered all kinds of event organizers and venues. Those that care about the game and respect the players have proven themselves to be more successful than those that only care to make money and pretty much want to get rid of the players the minute the tournament is over.

Ironically enough, I only played 3 Pokemon tournaments in my entire live: 2 Pre-Release Sealed events in Germany and 1 Standard tournament in Japan with a borrowed deck and all of those events where Bo3, even if we played with second Pre-Release event with7 people and the store had another tournament afterwards: they still managed their schedule and we all had a great time.

I've great respect for all of those TOs that do their best to ensure that we have a great time, but it's also our responsibility to demand more than a lousy Bo1 for an event of this scale.

Btw: While writing this I totally lost track about the discussion, Did we even had a discussion or am I just rambling on and on without any rhyme or reason xD ?

27 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Btw: While writing this I totally lost track about the discussion, Did we even had a discussion or am I just rambling on and on without any rhyme or reason xD ?

All I can tell you is that I enjoyed reading your reply.  :)

28 February 2018 - 02:42 AM

5card94

Rookie Trainer

• 5card94

Those are good points, but then again it's up to the TO to plan those things ahead.

If your venue closes at 8 then you better start early enough. Know your audience in advance and listen to their feedback: If everyone is fine with going Bo1 then I'd have no right to complain, though I doubt that's the case. Given that there are far less Pokemon events compared to other popular TCGs, I can't believe that players would travel to a bigger event, only to play 7 games and then go home. Yes, it probably takes up your entire day but how often do you get the chance to play on a big scale with dozens of like minded people (unless you travel to every regional event) ?

As I said, I come from an MtG background and over the years I've played everything, from 8 man booster drafts in an old pub, to 3.000+ player Grand Prixs lasting 2-3 days. Likewise, I've encountered all kinds of event organizers and venues. Those that care about the game and respect the players have proven themselves to be more successful than those that only care to make money and pretty much want to get rid of the players the minute the tournament is over.

Ironically enough, I only played 3 Pokemon tournaments in my entire live: 2 Pre-Release Sealed events in Germany and 1 Standard tournament in Japan with a borrowed deck and all of those events where Bo3, even if we played with second Pre-Release event with7 people and the store had another tournament afterwards: they still managed their schedule and we all had a great time.

I've great respect for all of those TOs that do their best to ensure that we have a great time, but it's also our responsibility to demand more than a lousy Bo1 for an event of this scale.

It was a ARG event they had other games going on like dragon ball super yugioh etc. I went with my friends who were going for dragon ball super events me being a new Pokemon player I figured I'd go for a good weekend and play some games and learn some of the meta for future events which I did and got some valuable experience for the time spent in cars and uber lol Charlotte isn't a bad city to have a free day in either the Pokemon event was Sunday at 10am and I had all day Saturday to hangout with friends who play dbs and meet some dbs players who also play Pokemon and also buy singles from the vendor so the free day was actually pretty legit Arg has bo1 Swiss bo3 top8 like others have mentioned bo1 is alot of luck and you need either a tapu Lele or Bridgett to open x2 zouara x1 ralts if I get that I win if I have to start slow it's gonna be rough to gain early advantage and will likely go to time which is lame bit I would of been 2/2 in rds going to time but sadly rng was bad for me and only went 1/2 in rds going to time

26 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

Princess_Aurora

Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Somehow, when I stumble on IRL Pokemon TCG tournaments, I always regret not having participated in these when I was 6 years younger. The fact that you can see your opponent's face will allow some pretty hilarious reactions when you draw a really good hand, or vice-versa. IRL players also tend to be less salty than online players.

Friendship is magic!