* * * * * 2 votes

Pokemon Switch: Stars or DP remake?

• Please log in to reply

21 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hey. I got a question for everybody:  With a new Pokémon mainline game coming to the Switch with a 2018 or later release, which option would you like to see more coming to it, Stars or a DP remake?

With Stars, might be more it's own game, then a typical third game, considering that USUM came out not too long ago, and throwing in a third(ish) game now would make things a bit complicated.

With a DP remake, would be like a big overhaul, like how ORAS was a big overhaul of the original RSE from the GBA, mainly because you would have to play in on one screen instead of two.  And hey, be amazing if it doesn't turn out to be a Platinum remake, if GameFreak, and the TCG weren't by some chance hinting towards one.

Anyway, while I wouldn't mind something similar to a Colosseum remake, either options, well, would need to be able to afford a Switch first before I can pass judgement.

23 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

• Mod_Rowan

Very interesting topic, indeed. Thank you, GrewupGeek!

Looking forward to the team replies!

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

25 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

In DP, the bottom screen was only used for Poketch and battling, both of which can be, in the case of latter, modified to fit a two-screen original into one screen in any remake(in case of Switch).. Regardless of Stars or DP, for a more simple, fresh twist, battling could  be altered to a Zelda:BofTW-boss-battle-style that uses the C-Stick for move selection purposes, with aiming done by the Left Stick and back L/R buttons for attack angling).

The catch of such a change to battles?

Such style will make the games more like the anime battle-wise, and such a style could conflict with the stat-based formula of the past to render your hard-trained S&M pokemon un-trade-able and un-battle-able w/ Pokemon switch, remake or no...

In the case of the Poketch, that can be cut from the remake(assuming there is one), as the poketch is nothing more than extra apps anyway, so in a one-screen remake, extras may have to be cut from remake: sorry, step-counters, sorry, pokemon calculator users, but all poketch apps are optional extras that might have to be dropped from the remake, if there is one, in order to make the game fit on one screen...

My preference?

DP remakes...

...With Platinum's post-E4 post-game sequence, the return of the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, plus, if possible, new areas after said post-E4 sequence that can be traversed to undergo a task involving catching new species while collecting 8 more Gym Badges(a system switch demands a new region, even if the GSC's 16 Gym badge count is matched again), plus maybe the return of Gold(or any other psuedo-"Mt. Silver Red"), in the form of a final boss after the 16 badge count is completed as well as a "final test" in a area too dangerous to permit normal Trainers to traverse through(a similar sound as Mt. Silver's in GSC), all to set up the games after the remakes, assuming remakes are in the pipeline!

Edited by Jammer87, 25 February 2018 - 05:38 PM.

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

26 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

• Mod_Jynthu

I will be thrilled to see Pokémon in any form on the Nintendo Switch. Of course, then I will need to buy a Switch to play!

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

10 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

• grriffinn

I'll go with a third option and say Generation 8. Whenever a new generation of handheld consoles (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, and now the Switch due to it being a hybrid of both home and handheld systems) have been released, the first mainline Pokemon games have always been completely new games. 

10 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

• Mod_Jynthu

That brings up a very good point, grriffinn! Unfortunately it seems like we have to wait a while before we know what to expect. 

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!