Why is Cynthia and others so expensive?

• Please log in to reply

12 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

Lalamon

Novice Trainer

• Lalamon
Hi
I've seen that new card supporter Cynthia
Looks good but there have been another supporters making almost the same and are not used.
Everyone makes 4 N and 4 Sycamore for the meta. Cards like Shauna or Proffessor Birch not played ever.

So why is Cynthia so expensive then? The Full Art is something I can't afford but even standard card still people trading for 3 packs and 2 or trying.

Is Cymthia something to add 4 copies in every deck? Sycamore is not being played anymore? I think it's still not rotating, true? So... Why are Cynthia so expensive? More than Lele! Is that not weird?

Also we have not seen a lot of Acerola in decks we play against. Why is also so expensive too?

Everything for my kid  :wub:  So hard this is very competitive,

Sylveon the best https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokedex/sylveon

12 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Harion

Junior Trainer

• Harion

Cynthia is pretty easy to obtain, so I don't get why the card is expensive. I mean, for the price of one theme deck, you get 2. So at 1000 tokens you can have 4 Cynthia.

12 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

abinhathbour456

Elite Trainer

• abinhathbour456

Hi
Looks good but there have been another supporters making almost the same and are not used.
Everyone makes 4 N and 4 Sycamore for the meta. Cards like Shauna or Proffessor Birch not played ever.

So why is Cynthia so expensive then? The Full Art is something I can't afford but even standard card still people trading for 3 packs and 2 or trying.

Is Cymthia something to add 4 copies in every deck? Sycamore is not being played anymore? I think it's still not rotating, true? So... Why are Cynthia so expensive? More than Lele! Is that not weird?

Also we have not seen a lot of Acerola in decks we play against. Why is also so expensive too?

Cynthia is very good and will be more essential after the rotation.

Edited by abinhathbour456, 12 February 2018 - 01:19 PM.

Member Of Top Cut And Director Of Trades.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/25163-the-top-cut-trading-inc-2-ultra-prism-added/

owner of guru cave trading co. come check it out

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/45628-the-guru-cave-trading-co-gctc-back-in-business/page-1

12 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Cynthia is very good and will be more essential after the rotation.

After the rotation (which is months away?)... everyone will still be able to get it for very little by buying theme decks. I haven't gotten the new decks yet, but I have 6 Cynthia from the pre-release boxes that can't be traded intact. There's no reason to pay that much for it.

Reverse the price. You should get multiple Cynthia for a single pack.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

12 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Numerrik

Rookie Trainer

• Numerrik

Part of it might be scarcity from real life bleeding in, it seems to be north of $3 irl.

12 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I don't get it either.  The FA Cynthia is way overpriced right now.  Common sense tells you it's going to drop.  I don't know who (or why) makes these calls, but many of the TCGO traders try to pick the cards from the latest set that are going to be the big profit maker.  For the Ultra Prism set, with limited options, they (?) decided Cynthia was going to be it.

(1)  Cynthia is no rarer than any other full-art, or Trainer.  (2)  It's not much better than a Shauna Supporter, 5 vs. 6, which no one ever puts in a deck.  (3)  It seems too early to be making a post-Rotation decision, because there are at least two more sets coming out before then.

Unless it's rigged somehow, I'm holding out for the price to be half of what it is now, or lower.

Edited by RobRatt, 12 February 2018 - 08:16 PM.

12 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

Honestly, I think it's a case of very high demand at the start of the set's sale period. Cynthia is a "reprint" of Oak's New Theory, which is proven to be a good card. Combine that with the likelihood that N and Sycamore might rotate soon, and you can see that Cynthia's place as a high-count staple in metagame decks is secure in the Standard format. Hence, even the Uncommon print commands a relatively high price due to, as I said, high demand.

Plus, with the high number of Full Art cards in the set making it rather hard to pull, of course Full Art Cynthia would get an obscenely high price due to extremely high demand among collectors and players who want full playsets of it. The price might drop after a while, but trust me, it won't drop by much.

Edited by SharKing319, 12 February 2018 - 10:15 PM.

12 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

abinhathbour456

Elite Trainer

• abinhathbour456

Honestly, I think it's a case of very high demand at the start of the set's sale period. Cynthia is a "reprint" of Oak's New Theory, which is proven to be a good card. Combine that with the likelihood that N and Sycamore might rotate soon, and you can see that Cynthia's place as a high-count staple in metagame decks is secure in the Standard format. Hence, even the Uncommon print commands a relatively high price due to, as I said, high demand.

Plus, with the high number of Full Art cards in the set making it rather hard to pull, of course Full Art Cynthia would get an obscenely high price due to extremely high demand among collectors and players who want full playsets of it. The price might drop after a while, but trust me, it won't drop by much.

i agree with you its very hard to get because its high on demand i managed to get 7 fa's now but i overpaid just to get them after a month i will drop.

Member Of Top Cut And Director Of Trades.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/25163-the-top-cut-trading-inc-2-ultra-prism-added/

owner of guru cave trading co. come check it out

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/45628-the-guru-cave-trading-co-gctc-back-in-business/page-1

13 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

...will be more essential after the rotation.

...with the likelihood that N and Sycamore might rotate soon, and you can see that Cynthia's place as a high-count staple in metagame decks is secure in the Standard format.

After Rotation!! ...After Rotation?!  ...I've heard this at least a half-dozen times in different places, from different people.

Ultra Prism just came out.  We all understand that, and no doubt there's a high demand ATM, but the "selling point" and speculation is off the charts.

We'll see in time.  It's value might hold for a while.  But the price of this mediocre card might bomb terribly too.  We don't know enough at this point about Rotation, or if there's going to be one.

Not to mention that details about the next two sets are (1) scarce, or (2) nonexistent.  The next set (Forbidden Light) comes out May 4th, but of the 15 or so Trainers in it, there's only been details for about 5 of them so far (in Japanese translations yet).  We don't know if Professor Sycamore or N are going to be reprinted or not.  Or if there might be better Supporters that will become the new staple cards.  The set that comes out in August?? ...no details yet, not even in Japanese.

Everyone's going to see it differently I guess.  But I'm not convinced this is a game-breaker, or that this card (even the full-art Vanity version) is a must-have for next September.  It all seems premature to me, and like mentioned before, a manufactured "selling point," whether Online or in the real world.

Edited by RobRatt, 13 February 2018 - 12:34 AM.

13 February 2018 - 02:39 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

snip

This.  Basically, "it's new."

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

13 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

This.  Basically, "it's new."

Have you checked yourself what this is trading for in Public Offers?  Being "new" doesn't quite explain it, and the OP brings up a valid question,, doesn't she?

Of the 13 FA & SR Trainers in Ultra Prism, nine of them are "new" and can be traded for approx. 2-4 packs, for the most part.  The only real anomaly is full-art Cynthia, which is trading for about 36-40 packs, or more.  It's not any rarer, and the discussion about it being so important post-Rotation is loaded (as above).

P.S.  Please wait.  Don't trade your Tapu Lele GX's for it. ;)

Edited by RobRatt, 13 February 2018 - 03:25 AM.

13 February 2018 - 03:18 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Have you checked yourself what this is trading for in Public Offers? Being "new" doesn't quite explain it, and the OP brings up a valid question,, doesn't she?

Of the 15 FA & SR cards in Ultra Prism, 9 of them are "new" and can be traded for about 2-4 packs (for the most part). The only anomaly is full-art Cynthia, which is trading for about 36-40 packs. It's not any rarer, and the discussion about it being so important post-Rotation is loaded (as above)*

**'s new and useful in the meta. I mean, are you gonna question why SR ultra ball is more expensive than say...SR switch?

13 February 2018 - 03:27 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Hi

There is a fair bit of acerola- but you're right, it's usually 0-2 copies.  I think a lot of people are running four Cynthia right now, especially with Garchomp.  As time goes on, they will probably stop- because while it is a really good card, it's not always ideal, so I think 2 copies will be pretty common.

Still, I think you've got a point- Cynthia's value is probably being artificially inflated by people's perception.

Edited by SuperStone, 14 February 2018 - 02:38 AM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

13 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

It's new and useful in the meta. I mean, are you gonna question why SR ultra ball is more expensive than say...SR switch?

If anyone thinks a "new" full-art Cynthia is worth 2 Tapu Lele, that's their call.  Please don't misunderstand.  I'm just saying the conversations I've been hearing -- about it being so great after Rotation -- don't make sense.  Yeah, it's new, but that doesn't explain why it's so much higher than FA Guzma, FA Sycamore, or a dozen others.

I'm not "dissing" the card, or saying that I won't play it.  Personally, I HATE (notice the Caps) Professor Sycamore.  Not because it's a bad card, but because my luck really stinks when it matters most.  Usually I'm stuck playing a Sycamore (forced to by circumstance) when I have 3 other cards in my hand that I don't want to discard.  For that reason alone, I like having Cynthia added to our arsenal.  Yet, I don't think FA Cynthia is mind-blowing, going to alter the Metagame, or should be hyped to 40+ packs because of "high demand."

16 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

I'd say blame the full art hype. If the artwork looks appealing, people are willing to pay alot to get what they desire.

Never forget that players/collectors/investors are not always behaving rational. Whether the card just gets hyped because it's new, or whether it becomes the new "bling bling" card for people who need to show off their full-art decks (as a means for recompensating the lack of something important) should be decided when the next set comes out.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.
Latest theme deck analysis here:
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/61913-analysis-of-the-competitive-theme-deck-format-may-2018/ 
Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.