Concede needs fixing

• Please log in to reply

15 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

Now that my son has given up on the game, I've been taking some time to play the game to understand how it works.  Generally most of it make sense (although I still don't buy the 'randomness' of certain things), but one area that needs to be fixed is 'Concede'.

In particular, it is extremely frustrating when a player concedes on my turn.  There are two avenues - they try an attack that doesn't work (eg, coin flip or some type of barrier) and then they concede before I can even start my moves, or when I play a certain card from my hand that is going to knock their active Pokemon out.  I find this especially when trying to compete a daily or special challenge - I suffer because I don't get any credit for the move I was about to make, and the opponent suffers nothing.

The active player should be allowed to play their full turn before the defending player can concede.  I have no problem with them conceding during my turn if they feel it is a lost cause, but I should be able to finish my turn and get credit for the damage I'm about to inflict to count towards a challenge before their concede takes effect.

15 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Now that my son has given up on the game, I've been taking some time to play the game to understand how it works.  Generally most of it make sense (although I still don't buy the 'randomness' of certain things), but one area that needs to be fixed is 'Concede'.

In particular, it is extremely frustrating when a player concedes on my turn.  There are two avenues - they try an attack that doesn't work (eg, coin flip or some type of barrier) and then they concede before I can even start my moves, or when I play a certain card from my hand that is going to knock their active Pokemon out.  I find this especially when trying to compete a daily or special challenge - I suffer because I don't get any credit for the move I was about to make, and the opponent suffers nothing.

The active player should be allowed to play their full turn before the defending player can concede.  I have no problem with them conceding during my turn if they feel it is a lost cause, but I should be able to finish my turn and get credit for the damage I'm about to inflict to count towards a challenge before their concede takes effect.

Unfortunately the concession thing is something that probably won't be touched on. IRL games can be conceded at any time just like a player can in the online game and restricting it to a person's own turn would detract from the staff's desire to make the TCGO as life-like as possible.

As for the the daily challenges, I agree with you on the knockout challenges being difficult to do. I personally think that they should be given a "soft" retirement from Versus mode and replaced with challenges that pertain to Prizes taken when you knock out an opponent's Pokemon with a Pokemon that is the required type (that way knocking out a GX/EX counts as two rather than one).

Edited by grriffinn, 15 January 2018 - 04:36 AM.

15 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

Mod_Elderberry

• Mod_Elderberry

Hello Trainer KianEndacott,

Thank you for your feedback and your suggestion. I have submitted it to the developers for their review.

Moderator Elderberry
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

15 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

I suffer because I don't get any credit for the move I was about to make, and the opponent suffers nothing.

last time i checked, when someone concedes they lose the game and the other player wins.  If you are not getting a win when your opponent concedes then id suggest submitting a bug report. A win is your reward.

-------------------

if that as implemented, there will players who will waste time and you wont be able to concede, imagine someone with 20 mins left and they play 1 card a min till their time runs low and just attack when they can attack right away.

Edited by XK920XK, 15 January 2018 - 05:33 AM.

15 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

last time i checked, when someone concedes they lose the game and the other player wins.

Yes, I still get the win but when a challenge is to do a certain amount of damage and players concede just as you are about to make an attack that would earn you those points, then you suffer and they lose nothing.

15 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

Startropic1

Junior Trainer

• Startropic1

Actually, in a situation where it's your turn and your opponent concedes, there is actually a bit of a delay on the game actually being conceded.    Conversely, it's already not possible to concede 100% of the time.  Sometimes the concede button will be greyed out.  I'm not completely sure of exactly what points in time the concede button is greyed out; it seems like there are multiple points over the course of a game that this can occur.

Perhaps there is room for some fine tuning.

15 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi, 

As mentioned the issue has already been sent to our developers in order to be reviewed. Thank you for providing detailed information!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

15 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Yes, I still get the win but when a challenge is to do a certain amount of damage and players concede just as you are about to make an attack that would earn you those points, then you suffer and they lose nothing.

Hi KianEndacott,

I can see how this would be frustrating! Changing it so that players cannot concede during another player's turn may not resolve this issue, though, as they may still concede before you are able to complete a challenge.

Moderator Jynthu

15 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

On top of that, disabling the option to forfeit on your opponent's turn sounds like a situation that's ripe for exploitation by trolls. Someone could easily make their own turn take as long as possible, possibly even running out their entire 25-minute timers by doing something like infinitely recycling Puzzle of Time with Puzzle of Time, and there wouldn't be anything the opponent could do about it short of closing down the client entirely. They could also report the trolls, but that wouldn't stop other trolls from doing the same. It's like the "scoop deck" scenario with the loser rewards from a few years ago - as long as a loophole like that exists, it will be exploited.

However, I think it could be a good idea to make it so that if a player concedes on their opponent's turn, the player leaves the match while the opponent gets to complete their turn before the match ends for them, with any damage, KOs, and evolutions they achieve in that time counting towards their Challenges. That seems like a win-win situation to me.

16 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

On top of that, disabling the option to forfeit on your opponent's turn sounds like a situation that's ripe for exploitation by trolls. Someone could easily make their own turn take as long as possible, possibly even running out their entire 25-minute timers by doing something like infinitely recycling Puzzle of Time with Puzzle of Time, and there wouldn't be anything the opponent could do about it short of closing down the client entirely. They could also report the trolls, but that wouldn't stop other trolls from doing the same. It's like the "scoop deck" scenario with the loser rewards from a few years ago - as long as a loophole like that exists, it will be exploited.

However, I think it could be a good idea to make it so that if a player concedes on their opponent's turn, the player leaves the match while the opponent gets to complete their turn before the match ends for them, with any damage, KOs, and evolutions they achieve in that time counting towards their Challenges. That seems like a win-win situation to me.

Hello SharKing319,

Thank you for pointing, we appreciate you share your thoughts with us. 

As always, stay cool!   :)

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

19 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

Changing it so that players cannot concede during another player's turn may not resolve this issue, though, as they may still concede before you are able to complete a challenge.

I agree, but if someone concedes when I evolve my Pokemon can mean the difference between 0 points towards my challenge or perhaps 120 points towards a challenge.  For the challenges that are 'do 1000 damage', thats over 10% of the challenge.

23 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

KianEndacott,

I see what you mean! Some progress would feel better than no progress. Thank you for sharing that additional point.

Moderator Jynthu

25 July 2018 - 03:54 AM

Wise_Sage

Rookie Trainer

• Wise_Sage
I agreed with KianEndacott. It took me like 3 hours to score 16 knockout from my metal pokemon because opponent concede every time the big boy comes out. I understand everyone don't want to waste any time on losing hand. If everyone think this way, then we all concede when things goes bad. Isnt that a definition of a sore loser? It doesnt cost anything to concede. I believe the only way to help this situation is to either deduct 10 coins or 4 tickets or move backward a little on the ladder for anyone concede. Then it makes them think twice about concede. Now, it is free to concede. Having a slight penalty also gave them option to concede if necessarily, like opponent really stalling. I understand the argument that it is free to concede in a real game. Well, there isnt any ladder in real game, or daily free tokens or anyone can play more than 3 tournaments in a day in real life. Personally, I only concede if I make a really wrong move that I am really disgusted with myself and had to walk away from the computer or I might break it, or if opponent need to knock me out 1 time to win, but they still put energy on the bench monster, play a draw card. I respect my opponent time.

25 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

Mod_Vengr

• Mod_Vengr

Thank you for your addition, WiseSage. It's a valid point.

Moderator Vengr

"I see now that one's birth is irrelevant, it is what you do, that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

30 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
It’s not a valid point!

It’s a direct violation of the rules!
I am reporting them both!

1st - KainEndacott is spamming the same concede message for the past few months.

2nd - Wise_Sage commented on a post that hasn’t had a reply since January 23!
We are in July!

Edited by Player_Jay, 30 July 2018 - 04:35 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

01 August 2018 - 03:33 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

It’s not a valid point!

It’s a direct violation of the rules!
I am reporting them both!

1st - KainEndacott is spamming the same concede message for the past few months.

2nd - Wise_Sage commented on a post that hasn’t had a reply since January 23!
We are in July!

And I'm going to report Mod_Vengr for collusion!  Clearly no one could post on an old thread without inside help.  And the perp always returns to the scene of the crime!  It all fits!  You won't get away with this one!

Wait.

Oh. :(

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.