New to TCG...trainers stomp me...could use some help.

• Please log in to reply

18 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

Rerednaw

Rookie Trainer

• Rerednaw

Between the extremely improbable streaks of bad coin flips and turn 1 Raichu's with full Benches...I could really use some help.  

I have the starting theme decks...the first few games were okay though the RNG was heavily skewed in my favor so I didn't feel like I actually won from strategy or deck design.  

Now I have a few of the trainers defeated so I have about 3-4 cards replaced.  And now, when I sort of feel strategy may start to matter...the RNG is going the other way.  

The theme decks so far as I have found have little mitigation or elimination...not so for the AI trainers.  Their decks have many cards that are specifically geared vs. your theme decks.  

Just looking for some tips here. 

Thanks!

Edited by Rerednaw, 18 December 2017 - 03:56 AM.

18 December 2017 - 05:12 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Well, yeah AI trainers are absolutely frustrating since you are not allowed to use your own decks to crush them in an instant. And pretty much every match against them is down to luck.

Best thing to do is to just concede if you get a garbage hand and just keep doing that until you at least get a favorable hand.

18 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

Well, yeah AI trainers are absolutely frustrating since you are not allowed to use your own decks to crush them in an instant. And pretty much every match against them is down to luck.

Best thing to do is to just concede if you get a garbage hand and just keep doing that until you at least get a favorable hand.

Thanks for helping, BowserLuigi! Appreciate that! 

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

19 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

i haven't really had any difficulty with the trainers. obviously, luck plays a large part, but i find that as you keep trying, the AI starts getting unlucky. 3 or 4 retries going against the same trainer and you'll find luck turning in your favor.

20 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Between the extremely improbable streaks of bad coin flips and turn 1 Raichu's with full Benches...I could really use some help.  

I have the starting theme decks...the first few games were okay though the RNG was heavily skewed in my favor so I didn't feel like I actually won from strategy or deck design.  

Now I have a few of the trainers defeated so I have about 3-4 cards replaced.  And now, when I sort of feel strategy may start to matter...the RNG is going the other way.  

The theme decks so far as I have found have little mitigation or elimination...not so for the AI trainers.  Their decks have many cards that are specifically geared vs. your theme decks.  

Just looking for some tips here. 

Thanks!

Hello Rerednaw, 

Some tips on a deck building:
- Check out some of the most popular decklists and trade for the cards you need. If you have all the Staples, you probably have most of the cards you need.
- You likely only need the “core Pokemon” for your deck.
- Theme Decks usually have 30 or so Pokemon, 10 or so Trainers, and 20 or so energy cards. That balance can be tricky to get a consistent deck.
- As for energy cards, 20 energy is way too much. Most decks run 6-12 energies.
- Unlike Theme Decks were you’ll often rely on top-decking an energy card each turn, competitive decks can move through their cards to find and recycle energy as needed.
- Check out some of the popular decklists and trade for the cards you need.
Hope it helps!
Have fun building your competitive deck!

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.