New to the game and have some questions

• Please log in to reply

15 December 2017 - 02:44 AM

Eelooc

Rookie Trainer

• Eelooc
Hello,

I have been playing pokemon TCG online for 3 days now. And I enjoy it a lot, but I don't understand some things:
  • What should I do with my ingame money? Do I buy decks or packs?
  • What are some good decks for beginners? I have been trying a water deck and a psychic deck.
  • If i wanna buy decks or packs which one should I buy?
  • Should I finish the trainingchallenges if I already unlocked the 3 decks?
  • Why do I only get 1 star in the trainingchallenges?
  • Whats best best tip for a beginner like ***

*** in advance! :D

15 December 2017 - 03:57 AM

Harion

Junior Trainer

• Harion

What should I do with my in-game money? Do I buy decks or packs?

Tokens can only be spent on: packs, decks, in-game items such as deck boxes and card sleeves. i suggest buying decks so you can expand your collection.

What are some good decks for beginners? I have been trying a water deck and a psychic deck.

The theme decks on the shop are good because you can use them in PvP theme and rack up tokens this way. PvP them is easier than Standard or Expanded PvP.

If i wanna buy decks or packs which one should I buy?

Decks. For 500 tokens you get 60 cards. Packs costs 200 tokens for 10 cards. Buy packs after you've bought every deck there is on the shop.

Should I finish the training challenges if I already unlocked the 3 decks?

Yes. Beating 12 trainers using one deck gives one pack. All in all, if you complete trainer challenge you get 45 packs.

Why do I only get 1 star in the training challenges? You need to beat that trainer with another deck. You have 3 starter decks, so you get to beat a trainer 3 times, 1 star each for each deck. to get the 4th star, buy a theme deck from the shop. You can only use a theme deck. You can't use an edited or created deck against the trainer challenge.

What's best tip for a beginner like me?

All packs you gain from trainer challenge, daily challenges, daily wins mystery box, or basically anything the game gives for free (except tournament packs from tournament winnings or anything you get using tickets) are untradeable. So feel free to open them. Never trade tradeable packs (You can see if it's tradeable when you look at the pack. If the number is on the left of the lock icon, it's tradeable) You can trade packs for cards you need in the trade shop. Price guides are all over the forum and as long as you trade here in the forum, you won't get ripped off.

Play daily and complete the daily challenges and win at least 12 games in PvP. try to get all the versus rewards.

The latest released decks are usually the strongest. Buy Destruction Fang, Clanging Thunder, and Hidden Moon (in that order). You'll be able to figure out how they work in trainer challenge and you can then take them out to PvP.

If you win the coin toss, go first if your deck has a lot of evolution Pokemon. Go second if most of your Pokemons are basic or if your Pokemon types are strong against your opponent's.

Play draw cards first before anything else. You want to see all your options before deciding what to do next. Attach energy cards last before attacking. Don't fill up your bench. Always leave space so you can put down a Pokemon that can turn the tide.

If your opponent is able to get set up and has a foothold on the board, sacrifice Pokemons so you can set up one of your Pokemons that can take theirs out in one hit. Don't put on the board a Pokemon that will just die from one hit. You'll be wasting your set-up and energy. If you have no Pokemons that can OHKO, look for ones that can do sustained damage (burn, poison) or disabling effects (sleep, confuse, paralyze).

If you can avoid giving a prize card by retreating, do so. But only if this will result in a better position. Don't retreat if you'll be giving up board position.

This game consists of out-trading your opponent in Pokemon deaths. Looking ahead this curve will help you win more games.

As with all card games, draw is everything in this game. You must have draw power to increase your chances of winning. Always Draw if you can unless drawing will result in a bad position.

Edited by Harion, 15 December 2017 - 04:02 AM.

15 December 2017 - 04:23 AM

Eelooc

Rookie Trainer

• Eelooc

Tokens can only be spent on: packs, decks, in-game items such as deck boxes and card sleeves. i suggest buying decks so you can expand your collection.

What are some good decks for beginners? I have been trying a water deck and a psychic deck.

The theme decks on the shop are good because you can use them in PvP theme and rack up tokens this way. PvP them is easier than Standard or Expanded PvP.

If i wanna buy decks or packs which one should I buy?

Decks. For 500 tokens you get 60 cards. Packs costs 200 tokens for 10 cards. Buy packs after you've bought every deck there is on the shop.

Should I finish the training challenges if I already unlocked the 3 decks?

Yes. Beating 12 trainers using one deck gives one pack. All in all, if you complete trainer challenge you get 45 packs.

Why do I only get 1 star in the training challenges? You need to beat that trainer with another deck. You have 3 starter decks, so you get to beat a trainer 3 times, 1 star each for each deck. to get the 4th star, buy a theme deck from the shop. You can only use a theme deck. You can't use an edited or created deck against the trainer challenge.

What's best tip for a beginner like me?

All packs you gain from trainer challenge, daily challenges, daily wins mystery box, or basically anything the game gives for free (except tournament packs from tournament winnings or anything you get using tickets) are untradeable. So feel free to open them. Never trade tradeable packs (You can see if it's tradeable when you look at the pack. If the number is on the left of the lock icon, it's tradeable) You can trade packs for cards you need in the trade shop. Price guides are all over the forum and as long as you trade here in the forum, you won't get ripped off.

Play daily and complete the daily challenges and win at least 12 games in PvP. try to get all the versus rewards.

The latest released decks are usually the strongest. Buy Destruction Fang, Clanging Thunder, and Hidden Moon (in that order). You'll be able to figure out how they work in trainer challenge and you can then take them out to PvP.

If you win the coin toss, go first if your deck has a lot of evolution Pokemon. Go second if most of your Pokemons are basic or if your Pokemon types are strong against your opponent's.

Play draw cards first before anything else. You want to see all your options before deciding what to do next. Attach energy cards last before attacking. Don't fill up your bench. Always leave space so you can put down a Pokemon that can turn the tide.

If your opponent is able to get set up and has a foothold on the board, sacrifice Pokemons so you can set up one of your Pokemons that can take theirs out in one hit. Don't put on the board a Pokemon that will just die from one hit. You'll be wasting your set-up and energy. If you have no Pokemons that can OHKO, look for ones that can do sustained damage (burn, poison) or disabling effects (sleep, confuse, paralyze).

If you can avoid giving a prize card by retreating, do so. But only if this will result in a better position. Don't retreat if you'll be giving up board position.

This game consists of out-trading your opponent in Pokemon deaths. Looking ahead this curve will help you win more games.

As with all card games, draw is everything in this game. You must have draw power to increase your chances of winning. Always Draw if you can unless drawing will result in a bad position.

Thank you so much for your super informative answer! I will save everything so I can look back at your answer. Very much appreciated thank you!

15 December 2017 - 07:16 AM

athenamai

Rookie Trainer

• athenamai

I an mot able to fix the issue . My TCG is not running, it shows refresh window where there are two options close and repair . both the options are not working . 

15 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

Harion

Junior Trainer

• Harion

I an mot able to fix the issue . My TCG is not running, it shows refresh window where there are two options close and repair . both the options are not working . 

try the refresher. it's located in the install Folder of the game.

15 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Tokens are also spent on posting public trade offers and entering tournaments to win tickets.  (The tickets are spent on entering tournaments to win unlocked booster packs.  And unlocked booster packs are the de facto trading currency in this game.)

If i wanna buy decks or packs which one should I buy?[/size]

Don't bother trying to buy all the theme decks yet. Once you have a few good ones, either focus on buying Guardians Rising packs for Tapu Lele GX or whatever packs contain the uncommon staples you need.

Edited by graywh, 15 December 2017 - 12:50 PM.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

15 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Tokens are also spent on posting public trade offers and entering tournaments to win tickets.  (The tickets are spent on entering tournaments to win unlocked booster packs.  And unlocked booster packs are the de facto trading currency in this game.)Don't bother trying to buy all the theme decks yet. Once you have a few good ones, either focus on buying Guardians Rising packs for Tapu Lele GX or whatever packs contain the uncommon staples you need.

Theme decks in the shop will eventually get hit by the rotation hammer. If you want them all, you may consider getting them all first. That's what I would do anyway.

Anyway if you do decide not to get all the theme decks, then spend them on guardians rising packs as graywh said

15 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

Thanks for helping, Harion! You're awesome, guys!

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

21 December 2017 - 03:33 AM

Skeithe

Rookie Trainer

• Skeithe

I'm gonna say Theme decks all the way.

PVP is MUCH easier with theme decks and more theme decks means more variety for PVP so you don't get instantly burnt out.

Playing PVP will start allotting you more cards via free booster packs and fee selected winnable cards.

I honestly wouldn't begin to buy booster packs till your outta theme decks you want to buy.  Plus each theme deck is a free booster pack from the trainer challenge league.

This also surprisingly doesn't take long in my opinion.

21 December 2017 - 03:43 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Not a particularly bad idea. Not all theme decks are good but it is fun to collect them.

If you do decide to buy packs though, I suggest that you only buy guardians rising. It has some useful core cards as well as a (very low chance) of getting a Tapu Lele GX, one of the most sought-after cards in the standard format.

21 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Hello athenamai, 

The recommended way to go is to completely uninstall TCGO: remove all folders and files, empty the trash bin, then download the game again, try using a different browser this time. Once all that is done, try installing the game to a brand new directory.
If that doesn't fix the issue, please submit a ticket to the Support team (use the link from my signature).

Hope this helps!

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

08 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Icy-Lily

Rookie Trainer

• Icy-Lily

I agree with everyone here,

Buy decks first, as you can earn boosters fairly quickly as rewards,

Booster packs are good if you are building your own decks but would surgest leaving that for now if you are a new player. It would take too long to get a decent deck made up.

Defiantly keep playing your trainer challenges, its good as a warm up, plus you earn booster packs for completing trainers saving you 200 poke coins. I found it easer to use the trainer challenges to get to know my decks better, I know how many cards I have of each and depending on my draw, how to play my game better.

As for buying decks in the online store, id aim to buy decks that have different pokemon types, that way you are better equipped for playing your daily challenges (thus earning more boosters), and you aren't left with 3 grass type decks for example and no electric, better to have 1-2 decks of each so your covered

10 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Icy-Lily,

Thank you for sharing your recommendations. However, please keep in mind that you should typically not post in threads that have been inactive for more than 14 days. It looks like this player was asking for help six months ago and may not need help anymore. :)

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!