Pokemon Type Weaknesses Chart

• Please log in to reply

05 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

Is there anywhere here I can find a chart for Pokemon weaknesses and resistance? That kind of thread should be stickied.

05 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

While a chart might help, it wouldn't be an answer to every situation.  You'd still have to look at the cards (and play conditions) anyway.

For example, Water type Pokémon can be weak to Grass, Lightning, or Metal.  And while many are weak to Lightning, only the "flying types" are resistant to Fighting.  A very few that are weak to Grass can be resistant to Lightning.  Some can be weak to Grass in one set (i.e. Kyogre), but weak to Lightning in another.  Some (i.e. Tapu Fini GX) don't have any weakness or resistance at all.  And more, certain Dual-type cards (i.e. Volcanion) can even be weak to Water.

There are general rules, but nothing steadfast.

P.S.  Is there anything preventing you from making a chart to help others??

Edited by RobRatt, 05 December 2017 - 01:24 AM.

05 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

There are some old cards with multiple weaknesses, but none in the PTCGO.  And many times pokemon with two types in the game will have the weaknesses and even energy costs of the second type, even though they're listed as the first.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

05 December 2017 - 03:45 AM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

if you go on google and search "pokemon tcg type effectiveness chart", the first image is pretty good with the different weaknesses and effectiveness for each type. However, because of the mixed typing from the games, not all pokemon of the same "type" have the same weaknesses. 3 water types might have different weaknesses because one was pure water, one was water/flying and one was ice.

05 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

There are some old cards with multiple weaknesses, but none in the PTCGO.

*Cough* Pokemon Legends *cough*

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

05 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

I've actually already found a chart on Reddit before making this thread. I just could not be sure if that chart was for Pokemon GO, PTCG, PTCGO, or Pokemon DS. I wanted to check if the forums has one since this is the official place for all PTCGO related things. I assumed an important piece of information like that would be stickied somewhere here.

P.S.  Is there anything preventing you from making a chart to help others??

aside from laziness? ofc not. silly me. i should have just spent hours and hours making the chart instead of asking if someone already made it.  -_-

05 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

modern cards only have a single weakness and resistance witch are both at the bottom of the card typically (it can be different for individual pokemon )

Grass is weak to fire

Water is weak to grass/lighting

Fire is weak the water

Lighting is weak to fighting

Fighting is weak to psychic

Dark is weak to fighting

metal is weak to fire

psychic is weak to dark/psychic

dragon is weak to fairy (old dragon cards are weak to other dragon's)

fairy is weak to metal

colorless is weak to fighting/lighting

Also cards that are mutable types, for example volcanion ex hit both fire and water for weakness BUT only have the weakness/resistance on the card; they also can use all of cards that are exclusive to their their 2 types. Cards that ADD types on top of your original type have the same rule and cards that CHANGE your type do not; you only keep the type you were changed to (think cards like psychic memory)

EDIT for some stupid reason the non American spelling colorless is now censored so I had to change it

Edited by ahoodedman, 05 December 2017 - 11:53 AM.

I can't think of a signature  :(

06 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

*Cough* Pokemon Legends *cough*

That's arguably one weakness for each half. :P But I concede your point.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.