Troll Decks Need To Stop

• Please log in to reply

14 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

Startropic1

Junior Trainer

• Startropic1

but i am battling.

perhaps your crazy expectations of people never reshuffling and wanting them to top deck with dead hands ruins their fun?

fun is found in different ways by different players, your way is not the only way

Just to clarify a bit,  I don't have a problem with these mechanics in and of themselves.   Shuffling is fine and knocking off energy is fine.  The problem is that now there is such a variety of these cards that I'm seeing decks taking these mechanics to an unbalanced extreme.   I've encountered a few decks that used these at such an extreme that the deck barely includes any viable Pokemon.

That is the most definitive example of a troll deck: when it appears the deck is not designed to win all but just drag a match out as long as possible.  I actually encountered a deck once that didn't even have the proper energy for its pokemon to do any attacks.    So it just sat there while the player just spammed shuffling, energy removal, flutes, everything to just drag out the match.   I beat the deck but it took far more turns than it should.

Also consider the impact such a deck could have in tournaments.   You get a very short clock in TCGO tournaments, and one of these decks wins simply by forcing the other player's clock to run out.   It's not even an optimal win condition to go for, but it would seem there are some that would do it "for the lulz."

14 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Just to clarify a bit, I don't have a problem with these mechanics in and of themselves. Shuffling is fine and knocking off energy is fine. The problem is that now there is such a variety of these cards that I'm seeing decks taking these mechanics to an unbalanced extreme. I've encountered a few decks that used these at such an extreme that the deck barely includes any viable Pokemon.

That is the most definitive example of a troll deck: when it appears the deck is not designed to win all but just drag a match out as long as possible. I actually encountered a deck once that didn't even have the proper energy for its pokemon to do any attacks. So it just sat there while the player just spammed shuffling, energy removal, flutes, everything to just drag out the match. I beat the deck but it took far more turns than it should.

Also consider the impact such a deck could have in tournaments. You get a very short clock in TCGO tournaments, and one of these decks wins simply by forcing the other player's clock to run out. It's not even an optimal win condition to go for, but it would seem there are some that would do it "for the lulz."

Ok I'm really curious about your criteria for troll decks. Can you post a sample decklist here?

Edited by BowserLuigi, 14 November 2017 - 11:35 PM.

15 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Xerxes8134

Novice Trainer

• Xerxes8134
Sounds like you just need to play more and get better. Figure out what it takes to counter decks like that, then adapt your strategy.

15 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

the_sqveel

Expert Trainer

• the_sqveel

Just to clarify a bit,  I don't have a problem with these mechanics in and of themselves.   Shuffling is fine and knocking off energy is fine.  The problem is that now there is such a variety of these cards that I'm seeing decks taking these mechanics to an unbalanced extreme.   I've encountered a few decks that used these at such an extreme that the deck barely includes any viable Pokemon.

That is the most definitive example of a troll deck: when it appears the deck is not designed to win all but just drag a match out as long as possible.  I actually encountered a deck once that didn't even have the proper energy for its pokemon to do any attacks.    So it just sat there while the player just spammed shuffling, energy removal, flutes, everything to just drag out the match.   I beat the deck but it took far more turns than it should.

Also consider the impact such a deck could have in tournaments.   You get a very short clock in TCGO tournaments, and one of these decks wins simply by forcing the other player's clock to run out.   It's not even an optimal win condition to go for, but it would seem there are some that would do it "for the lulz."

1) i find little point in "spreading my decks too thinly". having a few different tactics in there, a bit of affliction stacking, some hard hitters, some mill, some hand disruption. i like to focus my decks on one thing and do it all out. my current two best decks are my "toxic shock" which stacks poison damage and paralysis out the wazoo, (is this a troll? as multi-paralize stops my opponent attacking if they don't have means to switch out or heal?) and my "turbo acceleration" which is a delphox/talonflame/houndoom speed deck that can attach multiple energies a turn and whomps them before they can set up (another troll? cos i don't give them a chance to set up?) neither of these decks would be valid if i diluted them

2) "dragging the match out" (making your opponent deck out) is a valid stratagy. if it wasn't, they wouldn't have implimented that victory condition and would instead have gone for the hearthstone approach where it's not an auto lose to deck out

3) i play rogue decks in expanded. i have no intrest in tournaments :P

pokemon is a diverse game. they added 3 (4, if you count lost zone) victory conditions so people could chose their condition, and form a path towards it. it sounds like anything you don't like the sounds of is a troll deck to you, even if you can beat them and do use the cards. you need to understand that people play stratagy games with different stratagies, then you'll have more fun countering them. rather than just labeling anything you don't expect as "troll"

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favourites." - Karen 

15 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Startropic1

Junior Trainer

• Startropic1

1) i find little point in "spreading my decks too thinly". having a few different tactics in there, a bit of affliction stacking, some hard hitters, some mill, some hand disruption. i like to focus my decks on one thing and do it all out. my current two best decks are my "toxic shock" which stacks poison damage and paralysis out the wazoo, (is this a troll? as multi-paralize stops my opponent attacking if they don't have means to switch out or heal?) and my "turbo acceleration" which is a delphox/talonflame/houndoom speed deck that can attach multiple energies a turn and whomps them before they can set up (another troll? cos i don't give them a chance to set up?) neither of these decks would be valid if i diluted them

2) "dragging the match out" (making your opponent deck out) is a valid stratagy. if it wasn't, they wouldn't have implimented that victory condition and would instead have gone for the hearthstone approach where it's not an auto lose to deck out

3) i play rogue decks in expanded. i have no intrest in tournaments :P

pokemon is a diverse game. they added 3 (4, if you count lost zone) victory conditions so people could chose their condition, and form a path towards it. it sounds like anything you don't like the sounds of is a troll deck to you, even if you can beat them and do use the cards. you need to understand that people play stratagy games with different stratagies, then you'll have more fun countering them. rather than just labeling anything you don't expect as "troll"

I wouldn't call your strategies troll decks.   Decks based around status conditions are not that difficult to compete with.  (My steel decks are mostly immune that sort of thing thanks to Magearna.)  The only problem I have with ramp up decks is for example Kiawe.  I think Kiawe is a bit overpowered when you have some fire Pokemon that have high powered attacks already, (Charizard GX, Flareon EX), but I suppose that's why playing it ends your turn.  I may just be biased against it due to most steel types been weak to fire.  ;)

In any case, I was asked to provide a sample deck list of what I would call a troll deck.   So here's something I threw together as an example of the most extreme style of troll deck I encounter:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 5

* 3 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Snorlax BKT 118
* 1 Snorlax FCO 77

##Trainer Cards - 52

* 1 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 4 Crushing Hammer SUM 115
* 4 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 4 Team Skull Grunt SUM 133
* 4 N FCO 105
* 4 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 2 Hooligans Jim & Cas DEX 95
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Peeking Red Card CIN 97
* 4 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Wicke BUS 127
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Plumeria BUS 120
* 4 Cheren EPO 91
* 2 Caitlin PLB 78
* 4 Hau SUM 120
* 1 Lass's Special FCO 103
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 57

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Numbers are a little off due to not having 4 of certain cards, and apparently I don't have any of the older red cards.  Nonetheless I think you will get the idea. For this example, the lack of energy is intentional.  Snorlax was the first pokemon that came to mind for the purpose of the deck, but I've seen others used. I think I vaguely remember one deck using Wailmer/Wailord.

15 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I wouldn't call your strategies troll decks.   Decks based around status conditions are not that difficult to compete with.  (My steel decks are mostly immune that sort of thing thanks to Magearna.)  The only problem I have with ramp up decks is for example Kiawe.  I think Kiawe is a bit overpowered when you have some fire Pokemon that have high powered attacks already, (Charizard GX, Flareon EX), but I suppose that's why playing it ends your turn.  I may just be biased against it due to most steel types been weak to fire.  ;)

In any case, I was asked to provide a sample deck list of what I would call a troll deck.   So here's something I threw together as an example of the most extreme style of troll deck I encounter:

##Pokémon - 5

* 3 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Snorlax BKT 118
* 1 Snorlax FCO 77

##Trainer Cards - 52

* 4 N FCO 105
* 4 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 4 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Wicke BUS 127
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Plumeria BUS 120
* 4 Cheren EPO 91
* 2 Caitlin PLB 78
* 4 Hau SUM 120
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 57

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Numbers are a little off due to not having 4 of certain cards, and apparently I don't have any of the older red cards.  Nonetheless I think you will get the idea. For this example, the lack of energy is intentional.  Snorlax was the first pokemon that came to mind for the purpose of the deck, but I've seen others used. I think I vaguely remember one deck using Wailmer/Wailord.

You don't need to have the necessary cards to post a deck list. Just check off the 'show owned only' checkbox and you can build a deck just fine. It's just that the game won't let you use it until you get the necessary cards

Though I have not seen the above deck before, I think can give you more examples of your 'troll' decks. Have you heard of Laserlax (PlasmaLock)? It uses 4 Snorlax with the ability Block to prevent retreat. It has no energies, but instead uses a combination of virbank and hypnotoxic lasers to slowly burn away the opponent.

And do you mean Wailord stall? That is actually a legit strategy. It uses Wailord EX to...well...stall. Annoying but legit.

Also have you heard of Ross's new lock of death? It uses Stoutland with the Sentinel ability to supporter lock the opponent and Raichu to inflict paralysis upon evolution. Celebi allows Stoutland to use Lilipup's Pickup attack to pick up a devo spray so you can unevolve your Raichu and activate the ability again next turn. It is a deck that literally aims to annoy the opponent. But it is legit good and can actually win games.

As for the sample deck you posted, that definitely seemed like a troll deck. I don't see any win condition at all.

18 November 2017 - 04:30 AM

Startropic1

Junior Trainer

• Startropic1

You don't need to have the necessary cards to post a deck list. Just check off the 'show owned only' checkbox and you can build a deck just fine. It's just that the game won't let you use it until you get the necessary cards

Though I have not seen the above deck before, I think can give you more examples of your 'troll' decks. Have you heard of Laserlax (PlasmaLock)? It uses 4 Snorlax with the ability Block to prevent retreat. It has no energies, but instead uses a combination of virbank and hypnotoxic lasers to slowly burn away the opponent.

And do you mean Wailord stall? That is actually a legit strategy. It uses Wailord EX to...well...stall. Annoying but legit.

Also have you heard of Ross's new lock of death? It uses Stoutland with the Sentinel ability to supporter lock the opponent and Raichu to inflict paralysis upon evolution. Celebi allows Stoutland to use Lilipup's Pickup attack to pick up a devo spray so you can unevolve your Raichu and activate the ability again next turn. It is a deck that literally aims to annoy the opponent. But it is legit good and can actually win games.

As for the sample deck you posted, that definitely seemed like a troll deck. I don't see any win condition at all.

So we agree about my example.  The crux of this discussion is that there are too many different cards that all do extremely similar, (if not exactly the same), things that one could legally put in a deck to build a legal 60 card deck like the one I posted as an example.  Granted, some of the cards in the example are not standard legal, but I'm pretty sure that entire decklist is legal for expanded--and adjusting the example to be standard legal doesn't require that many changes. Also I'm not saying too many cards across the board, I'm pointing specifically at the type of cards you see in my example deck, (and the vast majority of the ones I'm familiar with are in the list.)  Perhaps the problem needs two different approaches per the different formats.   

I wasn't referring to Wailord EX.  I was simply referring to the regular Wailord as a Pokemon off the top of my head that has very high HP, which can be used in a troll deck to sit there and eat damage while the player spams all those item cards and whatnot.  Sometimes they will include healing items to heal up the high HP Pokemon so it can once again continue to eat damage.    I will say though that I don't think I've ever encountered a troll deck using an EX or GX Pokemon.

All the strategies you've mentioned are fine, but sometimes a little annoying.  They're also more finite than what you see going on in my example deck.

18 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I wasn't referring to Wailord EX.  I was simply referring to the regular Wailord as a Pokemon off the top of my head that has very high HP, which can be used in a troll deck to sit there and eat damage while the player spams all those item cards and whatnot.  Sometimes they will include healing items to heal up the high HP Pokemon so it can once again continue to eat damage.    I will say though that I don't think I've ever encountered a troll deck using an EX or GX Pokemon.

Here is a sample of a (outdated) Wailord stall decklist used by Enrique Avila that does exactly as you said. Unfortunately I don't have the game installed on my new laptop (and don't plan to unless I get lots of free time for no reason) so please excuse the formatting.

##Pokémon - 7

* 4 Wailord-EX
* 3 Suicune (Safeguard)

##Trainer Cards - 53

* 3 N

* 1 Shauna
* 2 Hugh
* 3 Skyla
* 4 Pokemon Fan Club
* 2 Lysandre
* 1 Xerosic
* 4 Team Flare Grunt
* 4 AZ
* 4 Cassius
* 4 VS Seeker
* 1 Dowsing Machine
* 1 Sacred Ash
* 1 Trick Shovel
* 3 Enhanced Hammer
* 4 Max Potion
* 1 Startling Megaphone
* 4 Hard Charm
* 4 Rough Seas
* 2 Silent Lab

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 60

As you can see, there is a difference between a 'good' troll deck and a terribad troll deck like the one you posted

Also, Ross's deck is really infinite. It never decks out (unless something crazy happens like a random trick shovel or something)

Edited by BowserLuigi, 18 November 2017 - 06:17 AM.

20 November 2017 - 03:21 AM

chapucito

Novice Trainer

• chapucito
I play Sableye +Raichu for fun in Expanded. 'Nuff said. It's awesome, so many concedes. And I don't use Lele for troll sake, just Jirachi EX :D
Now Gladion even increased its efficiency! No more prized Life Dew or other kay cards! And only 1 copy of some techs ;)

Edited by chapucito, 20 November 2017 - 03:24 AM.

27 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

On one turn you can play: Brock's Grit, Energy Recycle, Special Charge, Rescue Stretcher, and Super Rod--that's ~21 cards, and on the same turn you could play puzzle in time plus a combination of Pokemon abilities to retrieve the tool cards and use them again on the same turn. So yes, such a combo does exist.

I haven't even gotten to the energy removal and card shuffling stuff. With the new red card, Judge, N, and Wicke you can force your opponent to shuffle their hand 16 times a match, now multiply that by the first combo I explained and you see where this is going.

except you cant do that every turn (forever) and all of the cards you named recycle energys/pokemons so once you use puzzle you cant get those items back anymore nor those energys/pokemons though those items will do ****

LTC was recycling everything including vs seeker which recycle LTC this mean infinte guns/hammers/bicycle and so on

24 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

DragonWanabee

Rookie Trainer

• DragonWanabee
I don't mind the ability to make stall, controll, mill decks. People create them and it's available. That is fine, and GF doesn't have any responsibility for that.

My problem with PTCGO developers and "game designers" is I can be matched against these same decks over and over and over and over and over and over and.... it's become so frequent that I'm filing tickets for each repeat troll, stall, mill deck I'm facing in an (attempted) play session. I think I'm up to 45 tickets for two weeks now. Some nights there's just no point of even trying to play -- here's your third raichu stall deck, oh you're using a counter deck to raichu stall, here's 3 quad sylvion. An hour of "playing" (read stalls, so like 2 games) followed by just simply conceeding for 10 to 15 minutes as there is no point to playing against the same deck, with the same starts, over and over and I'm out. No wins, no playing, no progression. I blame what GF does control.

Matchmaking is broken. Unfortunately there's too much apologia to have a critical discussion aimed at improving it.

24 December 2017 - 12:33 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

snip

Hi. :) Just so you know, you're not supposed to post on threads that haven't been used in over a couple of weeks.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

29 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

Mod_Rowan

• Mod_Rowan

I don't mind the ability to make stall, controll, mill decks. People create them and it's available. That is fine, and GF doesn't have any responsibility for that.

My problem with PTCGO developers and "game designers" is I can be matched against these same decks over and over and over and over and over and over and.... it's become so frequent that I'm filing tickets for each repeat troll, stall, mill deck I'm facing in an (attempted) play session. I think I'm up to 45 tickets for two weeks now. Some nights there's just no point of even trying to play -- here's your third raichu stall deck, oh you're using a counter deck to raichu stall, here's 3 quad sylvion. An hour of "playing" (read stalls, so like 2 games) followed by just simply conceeding for 10 to 15 minutes as there is no point to playing against the same deck, with the same starts, over and over and I'm out. No wins, no playing, no progression. I blame what GF does control.

Matchmaking is broken. Unfortunately there's too much apologia to have a critical discussion aimed at improving it.

Thanks for your feedback!

The team of the developers appreciates opinion and advice of the players because you help to make the game better. Although they can't guarantee implementations of your ideas, they review and discuss it on a regular basis.

You are doing a great job by sharing your thoughts and ideas about the game. Many thanks to you, DragonWanabee!

Moderator Rowan
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

Sterling_Night

Rookie Trainer

• Sterling_Night
I was just in a match against someone who was using puzzle of time to recycle energy remover cards like team flare grunts and hammers as well as a field card and punk girl to empty my hand. He would then use sableye's junk recycle move to keep returning puzzle of time to his hand. I was literally unable to do anything against him! Troll decks are unfair and not fun to play against. I know it is just a game but come on, if I wanted to be annoyed by trolls I'd go PvP on another game with known trolls. It's not any fun to play a game where you literally cannot make a single move against your opponent. I was honestly debating reporting him for the troll deck, but I didn't think it was reportable. I did save a log after I conceded the match in case I could. Talk about free win for a troll. Maybe they should penalize trolls somehow. Don't know how but a punishment is needed.

Edited by Sterling_Night, 04 January 2018 - 04:08 AM.

04 January 2018 - 05:14 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I was just in a match against someone who was using puzzle of time to recycle energy remover cards like team flare grunts and hammers as well as a field card and punk girl to empty my hand. He would then use sableye's junk recycle move to keep returning puzzle of time to his hand. I was literally unable to do anything against him! Troll decks are unfair and not fun to play against. I know it is just a game but come on, if I wanted to be annoyed by trolls I'd go PvP on another game with known trolls. It's not any fun to play a game where you literally cannot make a single move against your opponent. I was honestly debating reporting him for the troll deck, but I didn't think it was reportable. I did save a log after I conceded the match in case I could. Talk about free win for a troll. Maybe they should penalize trolls somehow. Don't know how but a punishment is needed.

That's not reportable. That deck's aim is to run your resources dry. It trolls to win, not troll just for the sake of trolling.

Try to be familiar with different strategies. There is more than one way to win. Not all decks are designed to win by taking 6 prizes.

05 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Dragonite_123

Novice Trainer

• Dragonite_123

I hope one of these days that Pokemon makes a new rule that their is like a limit of how many times you can discard a opponents energy and how many times you can reshuffle your hand because literally I just played a opponent that has a deck that is a troll. Who Agrees?

Edited by Dragonite_123, 05 January 2018 - 11:30 PM.

08 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

xXTheStalkXx

Trainer

• xXTheStalkXx

##Pokémon - 5

* 3 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Snorlax BKT 118
* 1 Snorlax FCO 77

##Trainer Cards - 52

* 4 N FCO 105
* 4 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 2 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 4 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Wicke BUS 127
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Plumeria BUS 120
* 4 Cheren EPO 91
* 2 Caitlin PLB 78
* 4 Hau SUM 120
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 57

I have never seen a list like this, nor it makes sense at all, why would you use team skull but only one team flare... I think you are exaggerating just to prove your point  (which is never a good sign). I have been playing this game for about a year in both expanded and standard and never encountered a deck with no win condition except for the occasional evolution decks some people use to finish challenges ASAP. They are not as common as you suggest either (at least in my experience), I find a control/stall deck once or twice a week tops.  

Everyone can chose their own win condition, if I like control (and I indeed do play control) and not other strategies like, Night March, for example it does not mean I can force everyone to stop playing those decks... I just adapt, because they use legal strategies in the way they were intended to be used (otherwise a lot of those cards would be banned). 

By they way, punishing control players or limiting the number of times they can use their cards are terrible ideas, what if someone suggested we should limit the number of times a player can attach energies using items or abilities per game while we are at it?  

08 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

I hope one of these days that Pokemon makes a new rule that their is like a limit of how many times you can discard a opponents energy and how many times you can reshuffle your hand because literally I just played a opponent that has a deck that is a troll. Who Agrees?

Not me, What you described is the kind of deck that BowserLuigi mentioned. it's a viable strategy that's been in the game since its inception, not a means of trolling for the sake of it.

07 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

BScorpione

Rookie Trainer

• BScorpione

LOL wow I never encounter a deck like that ad nauseam & that does sound ridiculously FUNNY!....

*chuckles in my head ad infinitum*... just ROFL......

if I really wanna , i'll ride it out & shut them out when I get the chance OR wait til we timed out & win with points somewhat.

now I wanna know if I'm capable of making that deck with what I got. xDD

Edited by BScorpione, 07 February 2018 - 05:30 PM.

18 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

KilerOrangeCat

Rookie Trainer

• KilerOrangeCat

Just for the record, I play one of the decks described in this thread.  I have four enhanced hammers, four crushing hammers, four Team Flare Grunts and four VS Seekers cards and I get beaten with this deck as often as I win.  I have played it about 400 times with 200 losses.  

The amusing thing is that it's very rarely that I am ever able to use these cards in any sort of sequence that will dominate another opponent.  That's only 16 cards out of 60 and crushing hammers are only 50/50 anyway.  These decks are hardly dominate.  Most of my wins from this deck actually comes from the fact that I have Alohan Ninetails and my opponent has only EX or GX.  It's only once in a blue moon where the energy discarding strategy comes together.