Still have the old cards?

• Please log in to reply

20 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hey, here is a question for those who started playing/collecting the cards between 1996 and 2011, mainly while the TCG was still being played only offline, and before the game went officially online, but does anybody still have the old cards from at least a decade or two ago?  From the Base Set, to what, the FRLG or DP set of cards?  And also, have you tried to keep up with all, or most the cards? To put it clearly, between the Base Set, to Sun and Moon, has anybody kept collecting the cards from each and every pack up to now?  Because pretty sure getting them all is really becoming easier said then done since considering there is a new pack of cards that keep coming out every couple of months to keep up when it comes to buying the real, offline version of cards.  And for another question, if given the chance, would you ever create a deck using just your old cards?  Or would you make a hybrid deck of old and new cards?

Anyway, as for me, while not sure I got them all, got a good portion of the Base Set, and some from the Jungle set, the cards that came out for the Gen II games, a big gap between it and some e-cards, then a bigger gap between them and XY, with just a few cards.  I still go through them, and every once in a while, I which I could use them, but right now, that is more like wishful thinking.  Have trouble keeping up because life got in the way in terms of I had to grow up and start prioritizing what is more important, and even though, to paraphrase the song, Pokémon is a big part of my life, but I can't live off of it without some kind of catch, go figure.

Edited by GrewupGeek, 20 October 2017 - 02:53 AM.

28 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

theotherguytm

Expert Trainer

• theotherguytm

I have loads of DP cards. No especially rare ones, but a few nice ones. I have built a few (low-quality) hybrid decks, and I must say that Dim Valley works really well with Platinum Muk and Platinum (Skunk)G/ToxicroakG. My favourite combo before I got serious with the game. It also allows Uxie to get itself out the way for free...

Edited by theotherguytm, 28 October 2017 - 04:16 PM.

This is my OTHER signature.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/42500-the-mindless-nonsense-begins-my-ideas/

14 November 2017 - 03:39 AM

Victorsaurus

Junior Trainer

• Victorsaurus

Yes, I still have my cards from base set and beyond. I'm actually a card/figure/sticker/graphic T-shirt collector and I have been collecting cards since like 1992 (TV cartoons, movies, etc) and I still have them all.

I kind of stop when the second set of Ruby Sapphire started and came back during Black/White Boundaries Crossed. I did buy a booster or two in between.

I use old trainer cards to challenge the professors in some Pokemon League since they require us to challenge them and win to get the badges.

18 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

I actually thought I had lost them forever, but I found some of my base set cards just the other day, talk about a nostalgia trip. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

12 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

mergiorno

Rookie Trainer

• mergiorno

yup, i've been collecting them for a good 12 to 13 years now, maybe longer. i have cards from 1995-1996, up to now. i may have a couple first editions, and definitely have some from the base set, fossil set, and jungle set.

though there is a good gap from between 2012 to 2015, due to personal reasons there were other things i needed to focus on and dedicate my time to, but now i'm getting back into my collecting groove again. i'm really excited, and filling in all those missing patches gives me something to do while we're stuck inside for the winter.

19 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Unfortunately I do not currently own any physical cards. When I was younger, my brother was the one who had all the cards. I'm not sure if he still has any or not!

Moderator Jynthu

20 December 2017 - 01:23 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I still haven't lost any. :) But my oldest cards  are from Stormfront (that is, the ones I've had longest.  I've since acquired some from the Base Set), so...  That's not really all that old.  Nine years.

Edited by SuperStone, 22 December 2017 - 03:35 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

20 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I have been a serious collector since base set till the DP era.  I collected the HGSS cards because of the artwork. Now I just get the cards that I need to play the game. To be honest, the artwork is becoming more and more disappointing. By the way, my favourite sets are neo destiny, aquapolis, and skyridge.

25 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

Mod_Vengr

• Mod_Vengr

By the way, my favourite sets are neo destiny, aquapolis, and skyridge.

Aquapolis! Most definitely my favorite. 

Moderator Vengr

"I see now that one's birth is irrelevant, it is what you do, that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

06 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

Mod_Diamond

Novice Trainer

• Mod_Diamond

Unfortunately I don't have any of my old cards anymore  :( , I passed them down to a younger sibling and I haven't seen them since.  I had a ton of the base set cards.