EX and GX are too powerful

• Please log in to reply

16 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

The GXs seem to be pretty much developed by ten year olds. Completely unrealistic and serve no purpose.

I would just like to play the game. Why not set the matching filters so that if you want to play a garbage deck full of EX Mega GX, then you get matched up with other players playing the same type of decks were the first one to get their one hit wonder out wins, yay them! And those that just want to have fun playing Pokemon can get matched up with other players that are looking for the fun deck with evolutions and themes. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can be on the verge of winning after struggling to build your pokemon and the opponent just vomits up a GX and for less energy than your stage two wipes you out.

Uh...as someone else said, welcome to greninjaland

16 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Can someone start a non EX / GX tournament on the forum, invite all of the players who are constantly crying about those cards and then proceed to crush their decks into oblivion with regular Pokemon ?

Luigi already said it: Your desired “casual” format can never work, no matter how many arbitrary restrictions you create. The core idea of any trading card game is the solemn fact that a small percentage of cards will always outperform the rest. Why would you spend money on buying boosters, in order to get that sweet Ultra Rare card, otherwise ?

You don't lose against GX / EX Pokemon, because they are OP, you lose because your decks are badly constructed and you are likely a rather bad player, which is totally fine, as everyone started from scrap at some point. It doesn't matter if you want to play relaxed and casual, or trying to get the highest win rate possible, if you don't want to improve, then you can only blame yourself.

Maybe TCG games aren't your cup of tea, in that case you should just quite the game. It's your free time, spend it on doing something you like and don't force yourself to play a game that you don't enjoy.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

16 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

GeneralMalarky

Rookie Trainer

• GeneralMalarky
"Hey! It has been a day or two, maybe you are ready to try playing again?"
Load up game, opponent starts game with Dragonite EX while I start w/ Charmander. Opponent wins by turn 3

**** this.

**** all of this.

16 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Ishobi

Junior Trainer

• Ishobi

Load up game, opponent starts game with Dragonite EX while I start w/ Charmander. Opponent wins by turn 3

**** this.

**** all of this.

Lol..that feeling. The feeling of being overwhelmed by a rather , useless Pokemon EX. I miss the good old days of hardship. When I think about it, it makes me smile. Don't worry, you'll outgrow it.
RAWR!

16 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

**** this.

**** all of this.

....ok now I'm really curious. I would like to invite you to show me your deck, if you don't mind.

I won't laugh at you or tell you to include EX/GX, but I'll tell you what's wrong with it.

16 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

....ok now I'm really curious. I would like to invite you to show me your deck, if you don't mind.

I won't laugh at you or tell you to include EX/GX, but I'll tell you what's wrong with it.

It doesn't matter if it is poorly constructed.

The fact is, he is placed vs cards/decks he has no chance against given his current cardpool. 

I was in that same boat when I started. I literally built babySolgaleo x2, Cosmog x4 deck, because it was the only pokemon that hd a chance to race against any EX. When I finally got a GX, I built Umbreonx1, Eeveex3 deck because again it was the only card (only Umbreon aint good) to race vs other GX decks. In the low starting ELO we are placed.

It isn't about meta decks, it isn't about poor construction. It is the fact that killing a 180hp pokemon with your starting 500 cards is insanely difficult. And yes powercreep is a thing, yes he could build a better deck but he needs cards for that.

16 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison

**** this.

**** all of this.

If you don't have the cards to play standard, why would you try to play expanded where there's even more EX Pokemon waiting to crush you?

You think that we didn't start where you were at? We all started with garbage cards and had to work our way up. I didn't play for 3 months and came back to a rotation so I'm stuck trying to get a Lele to be competitive again.

At least your playing now when Redtwo isn't standard. At least the newbies there had legit complaints.

tl;dr- Trade for better cards and take your lumps like everyone else did. GX Pokemon are here to stay.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"

16 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

The GXs seem to be pretty much developed by ten year olds. Completely unrealistic and serve no purpose.

I would just like to play the game. Why not set the matching filters so that if you want to play a garbage deck full of EX Mega GX, then you get matched up with other players playing the same type of decks were the first one to get their one hit wonder out wins, yay them! And those that just want to have fun playing Pokemon can get matched up with other players that are looking for the fun deck with evolutions and themes. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can be on the verge of winning after struggling to build your pokemon and the opponent just vomits up a GX and for less energy than your stage two wipes you out.

so an easy trev/grininja break farming spot?? **** yeah

as many have stated theres strong non gx/ex cards that will easily rule a format with ex/gx

17 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

It doesn't matter if it is poorly constructed.

The fact is, he is placed vs cards/decks he has no chance against given his current cardpool. 

I was in that same boat when I started. I literally built babySolgaleo x2, Cosmog x4 deck, because it was the only pokemon that hd a chance to race against any EX. When I finally got a GX, I built Umbreonx1, Eeveex3 deck because again it was the only card (only Umbreon aint good) to race vs other GX decks. In the low starting ELO we are placed.

It isn't about meta decks, it isn't about poor construction. It is the fact that killing a 180hp pokemon with your starting 500 cards is insanely difficult. And yes powercreep is a thing, yes he could build a better deck but he needs cards for that.

Sure he's new but if he doesn't know some deckbuilding basics he will be stuck there forever. It doesn't matter how small his collection is. He still needs to know if he's to get anywhere.

If TC uses 4 Hau, 4 PCL, 4 Team Flare Grunts etc he will never get anywhere even if his deck has EX/GX. He'll just beat people similar to he is right now and that's it.

Also he literally said he lost on turn 3 against an EX which shouldn't even attack (or is kinda bad in the case of the dragon type Dragonite EX). Sure this means that he doesn't have EX/GX of his own to survive the onslaught. But if he can't at least find more Pokemon to place on the bench, I'm willing to bet that it's not just bad luck/no EX/GX.

Also thanks to trading companies it is really easy to trade for cheap cards, so even if you can't build a meta deck, you can still build a usable one that doesn't instantly die to EX/GX.

17 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

Sure he's new but if he doesn't know some deckbuilding basics he will be stuck there forever. It doesn't matter how small his collection is. He still needs to know if he's to get anywhere.

If TC uses 4 Hau, 4 PCL, 4 Team Flare Grunts etc he will never get anywhere even if his deck has EX/GX. He'll just beat people similar to he is right now and that's it.

Also he literally said he lost on turn 3 against an EX which shouldn't even attack (or is kinda bad in the case of the dragon type Dragonite EX). Sure this means that he doesn't have EX/GX of his own to survive the onslaught. But if he can't at least find more Pokemon to place on the bench, I'm willing to bet that it's not just bad luck/no EX/GX.

Also thanks to trading companies it is really easy to trade for cheap cards, so even if you can't build a meta deck, you can still build a usable one that doesn't instantly die to EX/GX.

He probably had a bench. But at that point it is an effective loss. The normal Ex will be swinging for ****** damage every turn, it takes a nonEX several turns to setup. His bench will be wiped before he has enough to setup and kill the Ex.

I remember the beginning days. Where I tried to load 4 energies onto 1or2 Gyardos because that is all I had. And sometimes it worked, but if they got an Ex faster there was just no chance. They OHKO me while I 2HKO if I can setup.

17 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

He probably had a bench. But at that point it is an effective loss. The normal Ex will be swinging for ****** damage every turn, it takes a nonEX several turns to setup. His bench will be wiped before he has enough to setup and kill the Ex.

I remember the beginning days. Where I tried to load 4 energies onto 1or2 Gyardos because that is all I had. And sometimes it worked, but if they got an Ex faster there was just no chance. They OHKO me while I 2HKO if I can setup.

That's just the deal with many cards in PTCGO. Being literally unplayable either by not dealing enough damage, taking too many energies to charge up, or both.

I remember when Rayquaza EX (the colorless one) was in the ladder I could sometimes see a random Ray being slotted into any deck. I also remember some new people trying to load 3 energies onto Landorus EX when they are not supposed to do that. Though they can't beat me, they can still beat up a generic new player's deck.

Yes... I get it. It would be far better if TC would be able to ask why is his EX/GX losing to other EX/GX or even 'regular' pokemon instead of "omg EX/GX are OP" but honestly there isn't much we could do apart from saying that EX/GX are not OP because most cards are just too weak.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 17 October 2017 - 08:59 AM.

17 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

theotherguytm

Expert Trainer

• theotherguytm

And then cometh the Night March.

And all yeh E/GX spammers will be held to account in front of the Broken One, on the Day Without Karen.

OP, even if you do want to play causally, my advice is make the best deck you can around a rouge card. Eg: I love my Aerodactyl deck. It loses a lot, but it's worth it when it wins.

And yes, I do run a good draw engine. There's no point holding yourself back, just because you think X is OP.

4 Sycamore

4 N

4 Ultra Ball

Deck fixed. Go kill.

This is my OTHER signature.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/42500-the-mindless-nonsense-begins-my-ideas/

19 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Jimmy_Yumia

Novice Trainer

• Jimmy_Yumia

Listen Mate, I've Been Playing Since Two Weeks Before 2015-16 Rotation. I Faced Such Situation. I Am From Bangladesh, Here You Can't Buy Real Products As They Aren't Available And We Didn't Even Have Access To Paypal Until Few Weeks Ago. So I Understand How You Feel. I Played Theme For More Than One Year And Saved My Daily Challenge Packs And Theme Tourney Packs. Then I Came To The Standard Expanded Play. So If You Can't Purchase, Do What I Did. Pick Up 11 Wins Everyday For Collecting Coins. Buy Proper Stuffs. Things Will Eventually Work Out.

19 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

Listen Mate, I've Been Playing Since Two Weeks Before 2015-16 Rotation. I Faced Such Situation. I Am From Bangladesh, Here You Can't Buy Real Products As They Aren't Available And We Didn't Even Have Access To Paypal Until Few Weeks Ago. So I Understand How You Feel. I Played Theme For More Than One Year And Saved My Daily Challenge Packs And Theme Tourney Packs. Then I Came To The Standard Expanded Play. So If You Can't Purchase, Do What I Did. Pick Up 11 Wins Everyday For Collecting Coins. Buy Proper Stuffs. Things Will Eventually Work Out.

Do you think everyone should HAVE to do that?

Was that FUN for you?

This isn't about torturing people because other people had to do it. This is a game, it should be fun, otherwise how do you expect to retain new players.

19 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Do you think everyone should HAVE to do that?
Was that FUN for you?

This isn't about torturing people because other people had to do it. This is a game, it should be fun, otherwise how do you expect to retain new players.

Then what is fun to you? Slapping together a random deck and still have a 50% chance of winning? I told you that only happens if both players play the exact same deck.

19 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

Then what is fun to you? Slapping together a random deck and still have a 50% chance of winning? I told you that only happens if both players play the exact same deck.

I didn't ay that. Please stop looking down on players just because they recognize problems.

GRINDING theme is not fun. 

19 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I didn't ay that. Please stop looking down on players just because they recognize problems.

Well fyi I had quite a bit of fun playing Primal Crushing Current back then, and at that time I cam already take on legacy.

For every player who thinks that this stepping stone is too much you have like maybe 9 people whp grind diligently until they get to the stage where they can compete in standard and expanded (and no it doesn't take as long as it looks). How else PTCGO is surviving until now? If you think this is a problem then it's completely normal. You just ...well...don't like the structure of the game.

Or they can just give everyone 5 EX/GX and call it a day And I do not know how that will turn out.

20 October 2017 - 12:02 AM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

Well fyi I had quite a bit of fun playing Primal Crushing Current back then, and at that time I cam already take on legacy.

For every player who thinks that this stepping stone is too much you have like maybe 9 people whp grind diligently until they get to the stage where they can compete in standard and expanded (and no it doesn't take as long as it looks). How else PTCGO is surviving until now? If you think this is a problem then it's completely normal. You just ...well...don't like the structure of the game.

Or they can just give everyone 5 EX/GX and call it a day And I do not know how that will turn out.

I am fine. I just dont like people insulting new players.

20 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I am fine. I just dont like people insulting new players.

I personally don't find 'You have a bad deck' or 'EX/GX are not OP' or 'Greninjavesprainbowroadnmlolololol' or 'Play theme' particularly insulting. When I was new people call me these things too (except that part about greninjablahblahblah) and I didn't feel insulted. But whatever. I never considered myself a good-mannered person to begin with. In fact, thank yous and welcomes make me sick for some reason.

It is however practically impossible for me to reply 'good manner-ly' to someone who is convinved that EX/GX are gods of ultimate destruction. Because I have to say something along the lines 'You are wrong' and some people don't particularly like that. Also they often get negative reps cuz...well...they are just wrong.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 20 October 2017 - 12:41 AM.

20 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

i think theme is fun.  i play it all the time. 

just because you dont like theme doesnt mean its a problem with the game.