EX and GX are too powerful

• Please log in to reply

15 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

GeneralMalarky

Rookie Trainer

• GeneralMalarky
It is completely unreasonable (beyond the company making money off sales of the cards, naturally) for EX and GX to be as powerful as they are.

~Them being "Basic" Pokemon and not having to be evolved in to means they are absurdly easy to get on the board. (Yes, I know some GX need to be evolved in to and Mega Evolutions end your turn, if you do not have a spirit-link) Having such powerful pokemon negate the evolution system really defeats a core aspect of the game.
~Most of them have energy costs of 2-3, for fairly powerful (enough to one-shot most "regular" pokemon, in the early game) attacks.
~High HP counts means "regular" pokemon have a fair degree of difficulty defeating them. Yes, you get two prize cards for beating them, but you will be losing 2-3 pokemon to defeat one EX or GX. So the two prize cards you get for defeating an EX/GX is not really much consolation.
~No restrictions on deck building leads to decks filled with these pokemon (at least in MTG their "Legendary" cards are limited to one in play per card, for example)
~Min-maxing pokemon-trainer/energy cards means much higher chances of drawing them at the start of the game (or taking mulligans until you get one)

I wish I had a list of ideas on how to approach this situation, beyond "Get this specific list of cards and never play decks you want to play. Or stop playing, you big loser-whiner!" but I know the community is just going to ******* me for making this post but I still feel like EX/GX are a cash-grab/excessive power-creep that makes the game un-fun.

I wish I had real friends I could play the game with so we could play friendly games and have a few 'house rules' about including horse ******* one's deck.

15 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Come gather around people, wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'
Come writers and critics, who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide, the chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon, for the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who that it's namin'
For the loser now will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen, please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway, don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt will be he who has stalled
The battle outside ragin'
Will soon shake your windows and rattle your walls
Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command

Your old road is rapidly aging

Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now will later be last

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

15 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Ishobi

Junior Trainer

• Ishobi
Honestly speaking, I will take on any GX/EX deck any day but not a Greninja, Garbodor or any other meta decks that rely on regular pokemon. You're still on the Beginning stages of the game. But as soon as you pass that, you'll soon realize that the true terror of this game are the little ones. Then you will say to yourself," why the **** I ranted here?"
RAWR!

15 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Honestly it's not that EX/GX are OP. It's that most pokemon cards are too weak. And there are also many bad EX/GX as well.

Also I suggest that you head to the deck construction board and have others take a look at your deck. Chances are you have an inconsistent, weak deck that would lose against 'regular' pokemon anyway. Well, if you consider Greninja BREAK, Garbodor etc 'regular'.

15 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

did you fight a nightmarch deck?? that can deal 100+ damage on the first turn and can get up to 200+ damage later on??oh yeah and each time you knock out 1 of the them they get stronger

did you fight a greninja deck?? maybe you get a few prize early on but once they start rolling you are doomed

or garbodor or rainbow decks or many other 

the problem is not gx/ex the real problem is many normal pokemons are pure garbage and many newbies use them for some reason but when a good normal Pokemon get released they rule the format pretty easily and make everyone put counters to them 

15 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

GeneralMalarky

Rookie Trainer

• GeneralMalarky

Y'all seem to be missing the point where I am stressing I want to play CASUALLY. I do not want to be building decks to win tournaments, I just want to build theme-y decks and have some fun playing the game. I used to have a blast, sitting down with friends and putting together some slap-dash decks and playing for fun. And if someone built a deck that was obviously built to win, they heard about it and dulled it down.

What is the point of taking the time to even shuffle your deck, if the opponent's is going to dump all over it, anyway? I got rather sick of "List/deck meta" back when I played Warhammer 40k and spent a half hour preparing for a game only to get steamrolled on turn 2. What is the point of loading in to a game and getting dumped on? I am just feeding wins to others and not making progress, myself, to get these "magical" cards that will win games for me. I am just left with a bitter taste in my mouth, as I repeatedly lose to decks spamming EX/GX.

Again, I just need to make real-life friends again (like that will ever happen) and I need to uninstall the game, because online games just drive me up the walls, anymore. I do not have the competitive drive to do this.

Edited by GeneralMalarky, 15 October 2017 - 06:04 PM.

15 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

Y'all seem to be missing the point where I am stressing I want to play CASUALLY. I do not want to be building decks to win tournaments, I just want to build theme-y decks and have some fun playing the game. I used to have a blast, sitting down with friends and putting together some slap-dash decks and playing for fun. And if someone built a deck that was obviously built to win, they heard about it and dulled it down.

What is the point of taking the time to even shuffle your deck, if the opponent's is going to dump all over it, anyway? I got rather sick of "List/deck meta" back when I played Warhammer 40k and spent a half hour preparing for a game only to get steamrolled on turn 2. What is the point of loading in to a game and getting dumped on? I am just feeding wins to others and not making progress, myself, to get these "magical" cards that will win games for me. I am just left with a bitter taste in my mouth, as I repeatedly lose to decks spamming EX/GX.

Again, I just need to make real-life friends again (like that will ever happen) and I need to uninstall the game, because online games just drive me up the walls, anymore. I do not have the competitive drive to do this.

will in fact i find many ppl play casually with GX/EX when i go play events they are playing them like decks with their gx/ex pokemons 

you can always play theme decks and gain cards like most ppl did to get the magical cards

and playing in versus will match you with ppl close to your elo so you will play vs ppl who have big collocation but never bothered with the competitive scane  aka casual  players with tons of ex/gx pokemons

anyway i build decks myself and enjoy playing with them even though many are not competitive even though i always fight meta decks in vs leaders

15 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

This community is terrible to new players, you can't win here.

I will say, if you stay long enough, you can get to a ladder point where the matches are more "fun." I played a Camerrupt deck two nights ago (my friend's son was playing actually). I mean the deck still had Tapu Lele's, but it was obviously a fun deck. But then your next match will be a MetagrossGX or something, but not very well used.

So if you can find it in yourself to concede many times, you can get to a fun~ish spot. But then you come in problems with collection and grind, bleh.

15 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

Just a few top tier non ex/gx decks that i pray to not play against. (i'm not mentioning night march because i don't play expanded).

Greninja Break

Rainbow Xerneas

Tyhplosion

15 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

Just a few top tier non ex/gx decks that i pray to not play against. (i'm not mentioning night march because i don't play expanded).

Greninja Break

Rainbow Xerneas

Tyhplosion

But post like these are not important.

Are you rubbing it into new players faces? Or just insulting new players? This isn't about being knowledgable or helping.

Try playing vs any EX/GX with only 500 card pool, no way to build a cheese Typhlosion or a former tier1 deck. 

15 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Unfortunately that's just the thing with any online game (the main Pokemon games included). The games don't revolve around you. You can't force other players to play a certain way (in this case, limiting the EX/GX in their deck) just because you don't like them. And other players can't force what kind of deck you want to play. But if your deck is constantly losing to EX/GX, then your deck is just pretty bad in a competitive sense.

A lot of people will tell you to get more cards by playing theme vs. And use Hidden Moon cuz it's currently the best theme deck. But not everyone likes theme, and going to other formats will lead you to 'not have any progress'. Now what?

If you want others to play by your rules...well....that only happens in friend battles.

16 October 2017 - 12:57 AM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

But post like these are not important.

Are you rubbing it into new players faces? Or just insulting new players? This isn't about being knowledgable or helping.

Try playing vs any EX/GX with only 500 card pool, no way to build a cheese Typhlosion or a former tier1 deck. 

i played vs EX with less then that gx are no different tbh

besides i made many non meta deck since rotation and im somehow not losing much (will some of them lose a lot)

16 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

...GeneralMalarky, didn't you post this exact same thing two weeks ago?

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

16 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

i played vs EX with less then that gx are no different tbh

besides i made many non meta deck since rotation and im somehow not losing much (will some of them lose a lot)

But do you have the cards to make that nonmeta deck?

The problem is new players od not have the cards to play what they want to play. And are suddenly thrown into a very hard environment (for the cardpool).

16 October 2017 - 02:55 AM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

But do you have the cards to make that nonmeta deck?

The problem is new players od not have the cards to play what they want to play. And are suddenly thrown into a very hard environment (for the cardpool).

i made my way in the past with a non meta deck made my way with baby steps like everyone else

the main problem is not new players not having a good pool of cards the real problem is most players dont learn anything about deck building and thus the one with the EX/GX will win because most non gx/ex are filler cards while the most gx/ex cards are playable

i would blame the trainer challange and theme decks because newbie always think 20/20/20 is the way to go in deck building

16 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

GeneralMalarky

Rookie Trainer

• GeneralMalarky

I am not saying I want to force others to play my way, I just wish there were a more 'casual' game mode available for folks that do not want to play such high-tiered games. I really enjoy theme decks, but I would also like to be able to build decks at that level.

16 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

It is completely unreasonable (beyond the company making money off sales of the cards, naturally) for EX and GX to be as powerful as they are.

~Them being "Basic" Pokemon and not having to be evolved in to means they are absurdly easy to get on the board. (Yes, I know some GX need to be evolved in to and Mega Evolutions end your turn, if you do not have a spirit-link) Having such powerful pokemon negate the evolution system really defeats a core aspect of the game.
~Most of them have energy costs of 2-3, for fairly powerful (enough to one-shot most "regular" pokemon, in the early game) attacks.
~High HP counts means "regular" pokemon have a fair degree of difficulty defeating them. Yes, you get two prize cards for beating them, but you will be losing 2-3 pokemon to defeat one EX or GX. So the two prize cards you get for defeating an EX/GX is not really much consolation.
~No restrictions on deck building leads to decks filled with these pokemon (at least in MTG their "Legendary" cards are limited to one in play per card, for example)
~Min-maxing pokemon-trainer/energy cards means much higher chances of drawing them at the start of the game (or taking mulligans until you get one)

I wish I had a list of ideas on how to approach this situation, beyond "Get this specific list of cards and never play decks you want to play. Or stop playing, you big loser-whiner!" but I know the community is just going to ******* me for making this post but I still feel like EX/GX are a cash-grab/excessive power-creep that makes the game un-fun.

I wish I had real friends I could play the game with so we could play friendly games and have a few 'house rules' about including horse ******* one's deck.

Ash Ketchum?

Is that you?

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

16 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I am not saying I want to force others to play my way, I just wish there were a more 'casual' game mode available for folks that do not want to play such high-tiered games. I really enjoy theme decks, but I would also like to be able to build decks at that level.

No matter what format you play, there will always be some decks that are better than others. In your hypothetical format, the top decks will not be the EX/GX you condemn (cuz they are presumely banned there), but some other deck (maybe Typhlosion, Buzzap Raikou, or something else). You can ban as many cards as you want and meta will still exist. Lele banned? Everyone use Oranguru/Octillery, Oranguru/Octillery banned? Everyone add more draw support. Ban Sycamore? Everyone use 4 Shauna instead etc etc etc. The players just play according to the cards handed to them, and find the best way to make the cards work and make sense of it all. At the end of the day said format doesn't even look casual anymore.

Even if you force everyone to play a 20/20/20 deck, there will still be decks that outperform others. If you want every player to have an equal chance at winning, well..they have to be playing the exact same deck, which only ever happens in theme (or friend battles).

16 October 2017 - 05:00 AM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

as i said many of the ppl you fight are most likely casual players

16 October 2017 - 05:09 AM

madkiwix

Novice Trainer

• madkiwix

The GXs seem to be pretty much developed by ten year olds. Completely unrealistic and serve no purpose.

I would just like to play the game. Why not set the matching filters so that if you want to play a garbage deck full of EX Mega GX, then you get matched up with other players playing the same type of decks were the first one to get their one hit wonder out wins, yay them! And those that just want to have fun playing Pokemon can get matched up with other players that are looking for the fun deck with evolutions and themes. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can be on the verge of winning after struggling to build your pokemon and the opponent just vomits up a GX and for less energy than your stage two wipes you out.