Coin flip RNG rigged?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

13 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Loqutos

Rookie Trainer

• Loqutos

I noticed playing the theme decks on the trainer challenges that the deeper you go into the tournament the less likely you're gonna roll heads. when i first started pokemon online it seemed I could count on coin flips to roll heads most of the time. which is helpful because most of the starter decks rely on luck more than skill. but now I'm in the city championship level and i just now finished a game with 15 straight tails flips but the computer consistently gets heads. its like the game doesnt actually get harder with better AI it just rigs the RNG to make you more likely to lose. 

Has anyone else noticed that?  

13 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

FlavorfulPineAp

Senior Trainer

• FlavorfulPineAp

This happens on purpose, to be more challenging. There have been many topics on this matter on RNG outside of just Theme decks, and we can confirm its not rigged or anything.

Deck Building Maniac :cool: 

:wub: Favorite deck/s: Vespiquen/Vileplume, Vespiquen, Vespiquen/Flareon  :wub:  

14 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

<snip>

its like the game doesnt actually get harder with better AI it just rigs the RNG to make you more likely to lose. 

Has anyone else noticed that?  

This happens on purpose, to be more challenging. There have been many topics on this matter on RNG outside of just Theme decks, and we can confirm its not rigged or anything.

Outside of the Trainer Challenges, whether Theme Decks or custom built, it seems that the coin flips are indeed random.  But who really knows?  If you even mention it, people will reply, "Show me the data."  And usually point to one person's recordkeeping from a long time ago.  At least, I'd like to think it was not "rigged." :)

But, in the Trainer Challenges, you need to be realistic, and be thankful that IT IS RIGGED.  When you first start, with built-in decks that are missing key cards, it's definitely in your favor most of the time.  I recently helped a young friend with some of these early games, and it was amusing just how many times her opponent (the simulated trainer) would "pass" on their turn, even though they could have attacked.

14 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Loqutos

Rookie Trainer

• Loqutos

Its just frustrating to constantly waste time losing against a computer thats clearly cheating. Thats not competitive its just annoying

14 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

theotherguytm

Expert Trainer

• theotherguytm

Its just frustrating to constantly waste time losing against a computer thats clearly cheating. Thats not competitive its just annoying

When the AI is as bad as it is (randomly ending turn without doing anything, dumping Tools at random, playing Energy for no reason and refusing to play Special Energy), cheating is its only option.

It's the same in RTS games, where high level AIs get income bonuses etc. in order to be a better match for stronger opponents.

This is my OTHER signature.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/42500-the-mindless-nonsense-begins-my-ideas/

27 October 2017 - 01:30 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I do not know whether against the AI there are problems with the coin flip but outside against real players coin flips should not be rigged. There is a thread confirming this and I did a smaller experiment using seismitoad deck and out of 200 coin flips it was 96 heads 104 tails so basically it should be fine. However, you may get unlucky and flip tails often but when the sample size increases it should be close to a head: tail 1:1 ratio.

01 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

in beta, the flips can be manipulated by mouse clicking. i posted about this back before. i notice it still works against trainer challenge.

02 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

in beta, the flips can be manipulated by mouse clicking. i posted about this back before. i notice it still works against trainer challenge.

How?

03 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello Harion,

If you believe you have encountered a bug, I recommend submitting a ticket by clicking the link in my signature. Please provide as much detail as possible so our development team can examine the issue. 

Please also refer to the Terms of Use, which states that in no instance may you: 

(xii) Take any action to cause, or exploit, known or latent malfunctions, bugs or other defects in the Service or system used to operate the Service; or

In regards to coin flips, please note that each flip has a 50/50 chance of being heads or tails.

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

07 April 2018 - 11:13 PM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

each flip has a 50/50 chance of being heads or tails.

In theory that is always true, but given the number of complaints and documented examples of where the 50/50 rule hasn't applied in reality is proof that there is a rigging of the coin flip.

My most recent example is 5 games in a row where I have played with Alolan Sandshrew and Professor Kukui and resulted in NO heads at all on any of the attacks.  And my overall spin rate on these games has been 20/80.

Of course some people will tell you that there is a bias if you complain, but there is sufficient evidence to show that the coin tosses are not 'equal'.

08 April 2018 - 04:25 AM

Mod_Elderberry

• Mod_Elderberry

given the number of complaints and documented examples of where the 50/50 rule hasn't applied in reality is proof that there is a rigging of the coin flip.

My experience is the opposite; When players actually record the results of the coin flip (rather than intuit their results), it becomes evident that it is operating very much as expected. For instance: http://forums.pokemo...oinflips/page-1

Because this thread is over 4 months old, it is now closed.

Moderator Elderberry
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!