* - - - - 1 votes

“New” Pokémon card game for phones?

• Please log in to reply

30 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231
Several of you may have seen this already, but around May 15th, the Pokémon Company was quoted to be working on a card game for mobiles. Here are a couple of paragraphs from an article:

Earlier this morning, the Wall Street Journal broke news that Nintendo was working on a new Zelda game specifically for mobile devices. While that was the big news that got everyone excited, the Wall Street Journal is also reporting that the Pokemon Company is developing a new mobile app for its popular Pokemon Trading Card Game.

The report didn't give many other details, but it's likely a mobile version of "Pokemon Trading Card Game Online" (PTCGO), an online service that allows players to collect cards, build decks, and battle other players online. Players use QR codes found in physical Pokemon Trading Card Game products (like booster packs or theme boxes) as well as online purchases to get cards in PTCGO.

What do you think? Is this going to be a phone version of PTCGO, or something else entirely?

01 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

It's difficult to allow PTCGO's battle screen to fit on a tiny mobile phablet screen at this time...

...But who knows if the next client update will make it fit into the tiny phone screen in the case of mobile phones?

^ Otherwise, best be similar to the Game Boy version(made back in the Wizards Pokemon TCG era of last century/early '00s(meaning early 2000s), only with the new cards replacing the cards from the old Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, and Base Set 2 expansions, even if it can't be updated as a result... :(

^ Products introduced by speculation can be proven false and fake, so I'd wait for official confirmation, whether by word-of-mouth via official channels, or via a leak followed by official confirmation of the legitimacy of leak before getting my hopes up for a possible mobile PTCGO that does not involve tablets...

Edited by Jammer87, 01 October 2017 - 07:56 PM.

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

02 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902

Several of you may have seen this already, but around May 15th, the Pokémon Company was quoted to be working on a card game for mobiles. Here are a couple of paragraphs from an article:

Earlier this morning, the Wall Street Journal broke news that Nintendo was working on a new Zelda game specifically for mobile devices. While that was the big news that got everyone excited, the Wall Street Journal is also reporting that the Pokemon Company is developing a new mobile app for its popular Pokemon Trading Card Game.

The report didn't give many other details, but it's likely a mobile version of "Pokemon Trading Card Game Online" (PTCGO), an online service that allows players to collect cards, build decks, and battle other players online. Players use QR codes found in physical Pokemon Trading Card Game products (like booster packs or theme boxes) as well as online purchases to get cards in PTCGO.

What do you think? Is this going to be a phone version of PTCGO, or something else entirely?

I really hope that this would be an PTCGO developed from Nintendo / Game Freak and that it would be as great as the game boy PTCGs. If it is just an app of the existing PTCGO it would be no improvement for me, because I already play it on my smartphone.

The cake is a lie!

03 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

It's difficult to allow PTCGO's battle screen to fit on a tiny mobile phablet screen at this time...

...But who knows if the next client update will make it fit into the tiny phone screen in the case of mobile phones?

^ Otherwise, best be similar to the Game Boy version(made back in the Wizards Pokemon TCG era of last century/early '00s(meaning early 2000s), only with the new cards replacing the cards from the old Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, and Base Set 2 expansions, even if it can't be updated as a result... :(

^ Products introduced by speculation can be proven false and fake, so I'd wait for official confirmation, whether by word-of-mouth via official channels, or via a leak followed by official confirmation of the legitimacy of leak before getting my hopes up for a possible mobile PTCGO that does not involve tablets...

I can't find the official quote, but it was officially stated that a card game was in development, and it is on several gaming news sites, so I'm pretty sure it's not a leak. But whether it is actually PTCGO is completely a guess.

I really hope that this would be an PTCGO developed from Nintendo / Game Freak and that it would be as great as the game boy PTCGs. If it is just an app of the existing PTCGO it would be no improvement for me, because I already play it on my smartphone.

I'm assuming you have an Android? It seems easier to download non-native apps on Android devices than iOS devices, and the only iPhone version I could find online was really out of date, so I personally am hoping that this is a mobile version of the PTCGO. But only time will tell...