How to avoid players with EX and GX cards

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

15 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

casualdude123

Rookie Trainer

• casualdude123

Hi

what type of game should i play like legacy or extended to avoid these cards as i cannot win with my cards.

sometimes players have whole benches of ex and gx cards and i lose very quickly.

15 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

Theme format is the only way to avoid EX and GX.

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

15 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

casualdude123

Rookie Trainer

• casualdude123

Thanks.

15 September 2017 - 11:37 PM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

Play night march. It pretty much destroys them if they dont have tapukoko/oricorio combo. Even if your opponent Karens you for 1 or 2 times, you still have a high possibility to win by discarding through ultra balls, computer serach, and puzzles. 

17 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

DeathlySkilz

Rookie Trainer

• DeathlySkilz
Night march is a strog card mabye you can the galvaltua theme deck to get 4

17 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

zlude_in

Junior Trainer

• zlude_in

Night march is a strog card mabye you can the galvaltua theme deck to get 4

That's a waste of 1000+ tokens.

It's easier to buy the Hidden Moon theme deck and using the tokens to play in tournaments that awards tickets (and then using those tickets to win packs, trading those packs for everything you need to build NM in the process)

18 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

It's easier to buy the Hidden Moon theme deck and using the tokens to play in tournaments that awards tickets (and then using those tickets to win packs, trading those packs for everything you need to build NM in the process)

Hmm...

Hidden Moon = 500 tokens

+

Ticket prize tourney = 89 tokens to get 0.875 ticket, so 101 tokens per ticket average.

Pack prize tourney = 4 tickets (404 tokens) to get 0.875 booster pack average.

If you're lucky, you'll get two of the current sets' boosters, which might be enough to get you a 4-4 line, after 17 tournaments costing a bit less than 1300 tokens (plus the tickets you earn).

Winning without HM is hard, winning with it is down to luck.

So, I guess that's cheaper than HM + 4*another deck.

Edited by SandaledOtter, 18 September 2017 - 05:12 AM.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

19 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Not to mention that you can't buy Bolt Twister (the deck he was referring to) in the shop anymore.

19 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Xi_of_SCS

Trainer

• Xi_of_SCS

Have your Alolan Ninetails hit their EX or GX with Aurora Beam on turn two.

20 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

Eevee_Girl16

Rookie Trainer

• Eevee_Girl16

Don't necessarily need GX/EX to win against the same either. Use pokemon abilities to your advantage (if you can get the draw). I have a Delphox that can dish out over 200 damage if used right. I also use a Bouffalant with the "Gold Breaker" attack that deals extra damage to EX pokemon. You can also mess people up with coin flips. Example, I have a Ponyta w/ agility that does 10 damage and if I flip heads on the coin toss Ponyta can't be attacked. Again, it's luck, but it may buy you time to work on a plan.

Unfortunately sometimes luck of the draw works against you but if you strategize and build your deck right you can hold your own.

20 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Don't necessarily need GX/EX to win against the same either. Use pokemon abilities to your advantage (if you can get the draw). I have a Delphox that can dish out over 200 damage if used right. I also use a Bouffalant with the "Gold Breaker" attack that deals extra damage to EX pokemon. You can also mess people up with coin flips. Example, I have a Ponyta w/ agility that does 10 damage and if I flip heads on the coin toss Ponyta can't be attacked. Again, it's luck, but it may buy you time to work on a plan.

Unfortunately sometimes luck of the draw works against you but if you strategize and build your deck right you can hold your own.

Now tell us how to avoid players with pokemon that have Abilities. Those are the big problem. :D

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

20 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Beginner should really take notes here:

Not only are you able to win against GX /EX Pokemon with regular Pokemon, you don't even need a big collection to do so. Keep in mind that your opponents are likely to be on the same as level as you ( at least in versus mode), which means that despite their strong looking EX /GX Pokemon, there decks will feature a lot of bad cards and they are going to make mistakes during the game.

Don't get intimidated, figure out a good strategy and improve as a player.

Remember the wise words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: If it bleeds, we can kill it.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

20 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Beginner should really take notes here:

Not only are you able to win against GX /EX Pokemon with regular Pokemon, you don't even need a big collection to do so. Keep in mind that your opponents are likely to be on the same as level as you ( at least in versus mode), which means that despite their strong looking EX /GX Pokemon, there decks will feature a lot of bad cards and they are going to make mistakes during the game.

Don't get intimidated, figure out a good strategy and improve as a player.

Remember the wise words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Exactly. If you see the other guy play a whole bunch of EX/GX but also toss out a Hau or malasada you know you have a chance (assuming you are also not playing Hau and malasadas) ;)

22 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

KabuTopGun

Rookie Trainer

• KabuTopGun

Hi

what type of game should i play like legacy or extended to avoid these cards as i cannot win with my cards.

sometimes players have whole benches of ex and gx cards and i lose very quickly.

Well as has been mentioned, Theme is the only way to avoid both, but GX Pokemon are too recent to be included in Legacy, so you just have EX pokemon to worry about.

In Legacy Weavil(arguably best value for money deck you can build), Trubbish(Tool Drop version, which is cheap, though multiple Sigilyph is also needed which costs a bit) and ReshiPhlosion(Reshiram is available in a theme deck for a short time and they sometimes include Typhlosion Prime in a shop bundle of HGSS boosters) decks can all be built without Ex's and are capable of taking wins.

Anyway, Legacy can take a bit to break into, but your deck won't be rendered obsolete by rotation and I find EX pokemon more tolerable to GX ones personally.

23 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Theolla

Rookie Trainer

• Theolla

Like they said, theme format is the way to go to avoid GX.  It's not impossible to progress against GX pokemon, though, even if that's the majority of your opponent's deck.  I have been playing extended format, and enjoying it.  Although my goals are mainly whatever my current challenge is.  I don't care so much about winning, as long as I can knock out a couple Pokemon, I'm good.  I'm a new player, I've been playing for maybe a month, haven't spent any trainer tokens yet.

For science!

25 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

Roy_DM

Trainer

• Roy_DM

Theme format. Alolan ninetails deck is nice.

Pay no attention to comments saying challengers are leveled. When you have no cards, winning is harder, period.

30 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

Sean369248

Rookie Trainer

• Sean369248

In the TCG,I used about 10 pokemon,20 trainers and 30 energy(I used more than four types of energy),I used a few EX,two GX and dragonite(heavy impact).I have win streak 6 now using the expanded deck that I created.

Edited by Sean369248, 30 May 2018 - 02:42 PM.

30 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Sean369248

Rookie Trainer

• Sean369248

Use EX and GX against them.

But the battle lasts long.I battled for 15 minutes the longest.

Edited by Sean369248, 30 May 2018 - 02:45 PM.

30 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

VncentPriceLess

Novice Trainer

• VncentPriceLess
Hey Casualdude123,

I know exactly what you mean. It seems as if a majority of the EX and GX cards are a bit too strong (e.g. Toxapex GX’s Super Intense Poison. Come on, who’s going to survive that? ). Instead of using cards/characters they truly like, it would appear most players are too caught up with trying to win, instead of just having fun. The EX and GX cards are like the people who backstab in the Dark Souls series: Incredibly annoying, but not unbeatable.

In my opinion, why not add a few supporter cards to your deck that disrupt your opponent’s play (e.g. Team Flare or if you like to inflict status conditions, Sea of Nothingness)? Cards like these usually help me.

Regardless with what you do, just play the cards you like. If you come up against a player who’s using a lot of EX or GX cards, just do your best and above all, have fun.

Remember the words of Karen from Pokemon Silver:

“Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on — — the Champion is waiting."

Laters dude, happy gaming and Train On!

30 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Hey Casualdude123,
I know exactly what you mean. It seems as if a majority of the EX and GX cards are a bit too strong (e.g. Toxapex GX’s Super Intense Poison. Come on, who’s going to survive that? ). Instead of using cards/characters they truly like, it would appear most players are too caught up with trying to win, instead of just having fun. The EX and GX cards are like the people who backstab in the Dark Souls series: Incredibly annoying, but not unbeatable.
In my opinion, why not add a few supporter cards to your deck that disrupt your opponent’s play (e.g. Team Flare or if you like to inflict status conditions, Sea of Nothingness)? Cards like these usually help me.
Regardless with what you do, just play the cards you like. If you come up against a player who’s using a lot of EX or GX cards, just do your best and above all, have fun.
Remember the words of Karen from Pokemon Silver:
“Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on — — the Champion is waiting."
Laters dude, happy gaming and Train On!

I know I shouldn't really reply to this thread seeing that its almost a year old but I would suggest that you take a look at some dominating meta archetypes (search on pokemon.com or google) and take a look at their general deck engine. Understand why each card is played, and understand that the majority of cards in PTCG are just plain bad.

There are actually more bad EX/GX than there are good ones. Toxapex is an example of a bad GX. Don't be intimidated by the poison. Instead, realize that instead of giving the opponent a chance to escape, things like Buzzvole GX or Ultra Necrozma GX, or even some non-EX/GX like Xerneas BREAK, simply flat out deletes the enemy in a single hit. It is often said that EX/GX in the hands of an inexperienced player often do more harm than good, as they don't know how to utilize them properly.

I would never suggest someone new to include flare grunts in their deck. This card is only really good in full disruption decks like mill or sylveon gx. Again, tossing random flare grunts into any deck not focused on stall or disruption clogs up the deck engine. Any time you're playing a grunt, you're not playing something like cynthia or sycamore to draw more cards. If you don't draw enough cards, you can't set up your board and you lose.

Of course, the most important thing is to have fun. Some people like to win. Some people like to be creative. Some people just happen to like Buzzvole. And some people like to annoy others to death.

'rings Vs Seeker' Hey whatcha doing here Karen??? The night marchers are still invading the city! Get back in there!

Edited by BowserLuigi, 30 May 2018 - 06:26 PM.