How to build a competitive deck based on Charizard?

• Please log in to reply

14 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

OhMyKidney

Trainer

• OhMyKidney

I really like this Pokemon.

But all thoses version,  no matter the normal one, EX, Mega or UX, need lots of energies to attack.

I've tried to make some decks, but they just doesn't work well.

Need some advice, pls.

14 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

I am sorry to be the one to have to tell you this but you can't charizard is just bad.

If you really must have a charizard deck then your best bet is to go with M charizard Y, tapu lele and kiawe as some sort of rush deck (you may need a back up attacker). I tried this but I never got it to be that good, it struggled to beat some match ups volcanion, gardevoir and greninja all witch are really big decks right now and each of them can easily overcome charizard; I did run wobbfet to help with this a little and while it did make an impact it was not enough.

The final problem was playing ageist any non gx decks in general sense you are so focused on taking 2 prizes a turn, vespiquen can easily trade 2 for 1 with you and that alone can beat you but most list run vaprion making so they can 1 shot you with a 1 prize pokemon that does not take much set up. zourark can use the break to copy your 300 damage attack. Garbodor with espieon can easily deal with your charizards even when you are not running many items. Rainbow road is nearly imposable to beat even with lysandre. Xerneas break can trade 2 for 1

can then build up into 1 hit knock outs later in the match. I could go on but I hope you get my point, that dealing with non ex/gx decks is really hard.

In expanded you do have some more support but there are also are more bad match ups then in standard

I can't think of a signature  :(

14 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

theotherguytm

Expert Trainer

• theotherguytm

I came up with one idea, that I never tried.

Use Toad's Quaking Punch to buy enough time to Mega Evolve.

Other than that, ahoodedman pretty much got everything. The problem is there's lots of non-EX Pokémon that 1HKO EXs, so a EX/GX, to be viable, must optionally:

• Be capable of taking multiple prizes at once or
  • Be capable of surviving super-massive hits (eg:Metagross/Primal Groudon)

And Must:

• Must have a unique trait that makes them highly playable (Primal Groudon/Darkrai EX) and
  • Be fast to power up and good at synergising with other non-EX Pokémon. (Volcanion EX/Mega Gardevoir)

Charizard has few of those abilities.

This is my OTHER signature.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/42500-the-mindless-nonsense-begins-my-ideas/

15 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

Deanrona

Senior Trainer

• Deanrona
Look up DarkIntergral's Charizard GX deck on the "video-sharing website".
That deck is about intimidating your opponent with Charmander (Generation)'s attack which deals 20x damage counters. Plus, Charizard GX had all the hit points for it.
Right now, you can play it with shrine of memory. After the rotation, you'll have to wait until the next set which contains a Celebi that works as the shrine card.
78% completed
38 sets completed
My suit is red - my hair is cool - click that like button - if I was helpful.

15 August 2017 - 03:00 AM

Cubchoo103

Senior Trainer

• Cubchoo103
Stoke Charizard EXs, Mega Charizard EXs from generations, fliptinis.. no idea how it is now but I made up this deck a while back and I LOVED it

15 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

LordCharizardX

Trainer

• LordCharizardX
With Tapu Lele and Kiawe you can now set up a fully powered Charizard 1st turn and attack immediately instead of having to Stoke first.

15 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

HouchinsDJ

Junior Trainer

• HouchinsDJ

You can run something like a 2-2-2 line of the GX with 4 Houndoom EX and other disruption cards to deck out your opponent. I don't know how effective it is, but it's GX attack paired with Houndoom, Bunnelby, Team Rocket's Handiwork, and any other cards that I'm forgetting could work.

15 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

OhMyKidney

Trainer

• OhMyKidney

I think I'll try DarkIntergral's Charizard GX deck first, thank you guys for these idea.  :) 

16 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

You can run something like a 2-2-2 line of the GX with 4 Houndoom EX and other disruption cards to deck out your opponent. I don't know how effective it is, but it's GX attack paired with Houndoom, Bunnelby, Team Rocket's Handiwork, and any other cards that I'm forgetting could work.

you would need a few dce for charizard (bunnelby can use them as well) and some way to get a single fire on charizard, maybe exp share? If gardevoir was not a threat this would be a pretty good idea, but consitering that all of the ways we said could work (kiawe and shrines) lose to gardevoir anyways and have a lot more flaws (the kiawe build loses to anything non gx and is weak to some of the top decks, while the shrine build loses to some of the top decks, struggles most non gx decks and loses when it can be 1 shot) this is the better idea +1

I can't think of a signature  :(

16 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Well, having just been beaten by Charizard, I can say that the way to do it is to get a turn 1 Char + Kiawe and an opponent who only has a single small basic after their turn. <_<

Edited by SandaledOtter, 16 August 2017 - 12:24 PM.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

16 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

LordCharizardX

Trainer

• LordCharizardX
Not explicity anything non-EX/GX, if it doesn't high enough damage output to 2-shot my Charizards I can grind it without constantly being in a losing 2-for-1 trade war for prizes. I do wish I could find a good secondary attacker that is a 1 prize Pokemon. And Shrine is rotating anyway so even if you build that, it'll fizzle here in only a couple weeks.

09 April 2018 - 03:43 AM

Gutterpuppy11

Rookie Trainer

• Gutterpuppy11
Personally I am a hater to the new standard it removed my beloved swampert diving search decks which I continue to play in expanded with alolan sandslash. Now to the topic. I believe when people say charizard y is best I say yes and no. It damages itself which I believe is devastating. Now that evolution is back decks that give up one prize cards are much more common. Charizard would only get 3 prizes before being sweeped by a basic three energy attacker.

I believe generations charizard is much better. It’s heat typhoon may not be consistent but two kiawe and it’ll most likely be smoking everything it only needs half the heads to destroy everything. Though two kiawe is a pain to and not every body has the 15 pack Tapu Lele. Yes, charizard is no gardvoir gx ready to trample the Meta, but not everything has to be.

If your talking expanded (expanded rocks) then charizard x flash fire can be integrated into a discard based deck that draws things out of the discard pile.

- [ ] Pokemon x 9

- [ ] Gen charizard x 2
- [ ] Charizard premium promo x 3
- [ ] Victini victory star x 2
- [ ] Hoopa promo x 2

- [ ] Trainer x 36

- [ ] Kiawe x 4
- [x] Skyla x 4
- [x] Ultra ball x 4
- [x] Cynthia x 4
- [x] Enhanced hammer x 2
- [ ] Guzma x 4
- [x] Switch x 3
- [ ] Mallow x 4
- [x] Scorched earth x 2
- [x] Rescue stretcher x 2
- [x] Prof letter x 2
- [x] Energy pouch x 1

- [x] Energy x 15

- [x] Fire x 15

10 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

PlatinumDude

Veteran Trainer

• PlatinumDude

The Dragon Storm Charizard is the best Charizard card released in a while. Its ability increases the damage its attacks inflict by 30 for each Pokemon EX/GX your opponent has in play. Its main attack does 130 normally for 2 Fire and a Colorless and discards an energy after the attack. It should do well against the EX/GX heavy meta as long as you have enough energy. It's worth waiting for the set that includes that Charizard.

Edited by PlatinumDude, 10 April 2018 - 04:37 PM.