Paint roller is a good idea?

• Please log in to reply

17 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

zninja000

Rookie Trainer

• zninja000

I want to add a paint roller in one of my decks, because I it says

Discard a stadium card in play, then draw a card.

I think it means discard any stadium card in play, if there is any, then draw a card, whether you discarded a stadium card or not.

But my friend says it mean you have to discard a stadium card in order to draw a card.

But the reason I think not is because there are cards that says:

Do this. If you do, do that as well.

So, who is right?

Edited by zninja000, 17 May 2017 - 02:03 PM.

17 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

"Discard a Stadium in play" absolutely requires a Stadium to be in play to begin with, so no, Paint Roller doesn't work without Stadiums.

And because its only real role is to get rid of Stadiums (fat chance of that one drawn card being what you need), Paint Roller finds itself pretty much totally outclassed by Field Blower.

Edited by SharKing319, 17 May 2017 - 03:05 PM.

17 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

FlavorfulPineAp

Senior Trainer

• FlavorfulPineAp

"Discard a Stadium in play" absolutely requires a Stadium to be in play to begin with, so no, Paint Roller doesn't work without Stadiums.

And because its only real role is to get rid of Stadiums (fat chance of that one drawn card being what you need), Paint Roller finds itself pretty much totally outclassed by Field Blower.

Though Field Blower is quite a bit better, does it net you a card for getting rid of stadiums/ tools? I know Paint Roller is an underused card, but that one card can be game changing.

But of course, Field Blower will be played over it.

Deck Building Maniac :cool: 

:wub: Favorite deck/s: Vespiquen/Vileplume, Vespiquen, Vespiquen/Flareon  :wub:  

17 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Though Field Blower is quite a bit better, does it net you a card for getting rid of stadiums/ tools? I know Paint Roller is an underused card, but that one card can be game changing.
But of course, Field Blower will be played over it.

Paint Roller is outclassed by...you know...another stadium card

17 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

FlavorfulPineAp

Senior Trainer

• FlavorfulPineAp

Paint Roller is outclassed by...you know...another stadium card

Which is?

Deck Building Maniac :cool: 

:wub: Favorite deck/s: Vespiquen/Vileplume, Vespiquen, Vespiquen/Flareon  :wub:  

17 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

actually its not a bad tech in sableye/garbodor but in any other deck its outclassed by flied blower

I can't think of a signature  :(

18 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Which is?

The stadium card of your choice. Your stadium

Edited by BowserLuigi, 18 May 2017 - 01:18 AM.

18 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

UselessEX

Veteran Trainer

• UselessEX

Which is?

what he meant is instant of using a point roller use a stadium that benefits your deck

03 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

Supertimland

Veteran Trainer

• Supertimland

I use it. Cantrips are solid in decks that like to dig deep.

I use to stream MTGO Legacy/Vintage, will start streaming PTCGO legacy soon  :D  

Have not played or touched paper Pokemon in 13 years, maybe one day  ^_^

Terrible PTCGO and Hearthstone player, received 3 MTG Pro Tour invites, go figure  :huh:

07 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

I use it. Cantrips are solid in decks that like to dig deep.

Really?  My experience was the opposite; while you do get to draw a card, you have to discard a Stadium first.  No Stadium in play and Paint Roller is dead in hand; have a Stadium you want to keep in play, and it may as well be dead in hand.

Also, don't forget Delinquent for your anti-Stadium needs.  A single copy can be reused via VS Seeker, and though you give up your Supporter for the turn, that just means you shoot for those times when you're trading it for four of your opponent's cards: a Stadium and three from their hand.  Is it the best option?  No, that would be the combination of Field Blower and your own Stadium cards.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

07 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Really?  My experience was the opposite; while you do get to draw a card, you have to discard a Stadium first.  No Stadium in play and Paint Roller is dead in hand; have a Stadium you want to keep in play, and it may as well be dead in hand.

Also, don't forget Delinquent for your anti-Stadium needs.  A single copy can be reused via VS Seeker, and though you give up your Supporter for the turn, that just means you shoot for those times when you're trading it for four of your opponent's cards: a Stadium and three from their hand.  Is it the best option?  No, that would be the combination of Field Blower and your own Stadium cards.

Dead cards will feed Ultra Ball or other cards that require a discard to use. Build accordingly.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

07 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Dead cards will feed Ultra Ball or other cards that require a discard to use. Build accordingly.

...or cause you to stall out.  Cards like Acro Bike and Trainers' Mail work because you can get either what you really need (like a Double Colorless Energy) or get your next source of draw/search, and have no built in cost or restriction on being played.  Acro Bike can hit two cards you don't want to discard or whiff on getting at least one card you want to add to hand.  Trainers' Mail can whiff as well.  Both can always be used, however, barring outside interference.

You can only have so many "dead" cards in a deck and still except it to successfully dig deep.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but my experience was I was better off without Paint Roller in such decks than with it.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

08 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

To be fair, 

Play Brookside/other once per turn Stadium. Use effect. Paint Roller and draw. Play another Brookside/once per turn stadium.

Allows you to keep going deeper. Maybe not great but it depends on your goal.

09 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

harshu

Elite Trainer

• harshu

To be fair, 

Play Brookside/other once per turn Stadium. Use effect. Paint Roller and draw. Play another Brookside/once per turn stadium.

If we are going to keep paint rollers and discard our own stadiums, than rather than using stadiums, I would increase the amount of the cards I want, and use those 2-4 paint roller slots more usefully to other techs than can be defined as match winning many times.

Probably the MOST HATED WRITER on PTCGO !
If you need any Deck help just visit this thread - The Best Decks in TCG - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/
If you are new, and looking for a Beginner's Guide, click the following topic, to get reach to a Helpful Guide. - New Player Guide - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/31931-new-player-guide/
Click the names, and you can reach those Topics :)

10 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

If we are going to keep paint rollers and discard our own stadiums, than rather than using stadiums, I would increase the amount of the cards I want, and use those 2-4 paint roller slots more usefully to other techs than can be defined as match winning many times.

If you just want a cheesey quick kill combo/donk for vs, not going for some consistent 2/3 tourney deck.

03 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

To be fair, 

You can't play multiple stadiums in one turn. It's not written on the card but apparently it's in the rules somewhere.

03 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

MysterQ

Senior Trainer

• MysterQ

You can't play multiple stadiums in one turn. It's not written on the card but apparently it's in the rules somewhere.

Oh didn't know that rule.

03 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Oh didn't know that rule.

Because it's in the rulebook, which online players don't get.

06 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Because it's in the rulebook, which online players don't get.

Online players actually have the least excuse for lacking the rulebook. ;)  Players of the physical TCG only get them when they buy certain product (usually Theme Decks).  If you're already online, just head to the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resource page on the official Pokémon site, and one of the links there is to download a .pdf of the Pokémon TCG Rulebook. :)

06 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Online players actually have the least excuse for lacking the rulebook. ;)  Players of the physical TCG only get them when they buy certain product (usually Theme Decks).  If you're already online, just head to the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resource page on the official Pokémon site, and one of the links there is to download a .pdf of the Pokémon TCG Rulebook. :)

Where's the link to that in the game? Physical players have that resource as well, just as available, plus access to the physical rulebook.