The anime is no longer an anime...

• Please log in to reply

26 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Noreally

Rookie Trainer

• Noreally

Hi, as a kid I've been obsessed with Pokemon and I had many figurines, cards, and all the games. As most of you seem young and by guessing most of the community was born when generation 4 came out. As the anime evolves, it keeps on getting worse, as an example let me show you the evolution.

Gen 1 = Amazing!

Gen 2 = Amazing!

Gen 3= Amazing!

Gen 4 = Good

Gen 5 = Boring

Gen 6 = It was horrible and all this was caused by amour shippers and Serena.

Gen 7 = Puke.

As you can see it has gone down hill with the first 3 generations being amazing, gen 4 being good, and the last 3 generations being trash.

I miss the old days when Ash had Misty and Brock as their partners.

I wouldn't mind May and Max coming back either same with Dawn.

I miss the old animation style and how the stories were actually entertaining now they are all filled with drama and shipping stuff.

It would be my dream if actually, The Pokemon Company read this (I know they will never since they never did)

In conclusion what I'm saying is the anime is TRASH.

Regards, Noreally.

26 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
I wholeheartedly disagree. I took a break in the middle so I can't say much of anything of Gens 4, 5 and 6, but I've been keeping up with Sun and Moon and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

First of all, people just don't seem to have much of an appreciation for different animation styles. This reminds me of when The Wind Waker came out and a ton of Zelda "fans" instantly called the cel-shading style garbage. Years later a lot of fans and critics praised the game as being a work of art for the same reason that years earlier some people called it trash.

Going back to the world of anime, there is a lot more variety in the animation styles than what you'd think. Just look at Kill la Kill and it's completely hammy, over-the top style, the vivid colors and the rough edges. Most people loved it anyways because it was made by some guy from ex-Studio Gainax, but it was definetly out there as far as animation styles go. Or go look at the more recent Flip Flappers, which had a very artsy style and some really amazing colors. Then there's some more experimental stuff like that one Ping Pong anime whose name I forgot (I didn't like that one but kudos to them for doing something different and it was actually critically acvlaimed too). There is just so many different styles that are amazing for so many different reasons, but some people just can't stomach anything that is different from what's considered the traditional anime style in the west (which is ironic, because the traditional anime style was more like what you see in Doraemon and Sazae-san. The "traditional anime style" we know is simply the style of the first few popular animes that were exported to the west such as Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Digimon).

The art style of Sun and Moon is actually very reminescent of The Wind Waker. There's no cel shading of course, but it's a lot more cartoonish compared to previous seasons, with the characters being a bit more round around the edges and with more vivid colors. Personally I like it and Pokemon has my congratulations for exploring with this style despite the potential backslash.

As for the story itself, I don't know if we're looking at the same anime because I'm really liking it so far.

This is a really random thought, but I actually find the thought of Beware replacing the Blasting Off Again routine to be refreshing and actually pretty hilarious. Team Rocket even lampshades it by saying something like "is this going to be the first time we blast off here?", looking pretty happy, and then Beware jumps out of totally nowhere and takes them away. Speaking of Team Rocket, it's actually really nice that they don't show up every episode and actually let the story progress a little more smoothly. Oh, and Meoth's near death experience was hilarious too xd Funny how Pokemon recognizes that Gardevoir is somewhat fan servicey.

I've heard some people say the rotom-dex is annoying but I think he's pretty funny, specially how he reacts to Satoshi's antics (like how he's totally shocked at how rowlett basically caught himself).

While I'm at it, the comedy in the show is pretty great. Everything from how Mao and Satoshi look totally not amused by the Professor's lame pokepuns to how Satoshi keeps getting rekt by random pokemon but always ends up being fine is pretty funny. And my god, Rowlett is absolutely adorable. The chapter where he appears he's such an airhaid and it's super funny. There's a lot more that could be said but I find the comedy of this show in general to be great.

The characters are all very likable as well. The MVP is definetely Lillie though. She's so cute, and the episode where Pikachu trolls the heck out of her and bumps his head into her hands is amazing. I'm really curious to see the anime explore more of her background and her relationship with her family. I can alreafy guess Lusamine has something to do with why she's so scared of pokemon, but since I haven't played the game (I don't own a DS q.q) I don't know what's going to happen, so I'm hype for that.

Overall the season is looking very good and I hope you would give it a chance. To me it seems that you do not appreciate the series for what it is and that you were expecting more of the same from the first few gens. But what's the fun in that? Let them experiment a bit. In my books at least, the experiment that has been Sun and Moon has been successful.

I've watched over 100 different anime series over the years, so I know pretty well when I'm looking at something good and when I don't like what I'm seeing. I know there are people who have watched even more than that, but I think I have enough experience with anime to tell good anime apart from trash.

26 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

the anime was never good, it was meant for kids, you just grew up. It has not changed at ALL it is just a reboot every season (maybe not every episode but I have only seen a few episodes from all of the seasons I have seen it is basicy copy and paste plot).

I can't think of a signature  :(

26 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

the anime was never good, it was meant for kids, you just grew up. It has not changed at ALL it is just a reboot every season (maybe not every episode but I have only seen a few episodes from all of the seasons I have seen it is basicy copy and paste plot).

Meh no one appreciates art anymore :P

I'd just like to point point out that while at some point it was offficially stated that Pokemon is a Kodomo anime, it has a lot of elements that are distinctly Shounen and thus appeal to a more grown up audience.

I'd like to point out too that the target audience does not limit at all the age groups that can enjoy the show. Card Captor Sakura was an amazing anime that could be enjoyed by all ages and genders, despite being a quintessential Shoujo anime (basically a show for little girls). I could say the same about many more anime, including pokemon.

26 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

ahoodedman

Elite Trainer

• ahoodedman

I'd just like to point point out that while at some point it was offficially stated that Pokemon is a Kodomo anime, it has a lot of elements that are distinctly Shounen and thus appeal to a more grown up audience.

I'd like to point out too that the target audience does not limit at all the age groups that can enjoy the show. Card Captor Sakura was an amazing anime that could be enjoyed by all ages and genders, despite being a quintessential Shoujo anime (basically a show for little girls). I could say the same about many more anime, including pokemon.

maybe it is the lack of episodes I have seen, I understand that all ages can watch it but it is more towards children from ages 7-10, this can be explained by there use of simple words, no trash talking of any kind and the jokes that are for kids e.g ashing crashs into a door 3 times in a row.

However I do confess there was 2 episodes I thought were good (I have seen about 20 episodes) that is the kalos semi final part 1 and 2, now those episdoes were outstanding and episodes like that are geared towards all ages I said it is for kids but I am aware there are some episodes like these 2 that are for all ages.

Edited by ahoodedman, 26 January 2017 - 11:03 PM.

I can't think of a signature  :(

27 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Noreally

Rookie Trainer

• Noreally

I wholeheartedly disagree. I took a break in the middle so I can't say much of anything of Gens 4, 5 and 6, but I've been keeping up with Sun and Moon and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

First of all, people just don't seem to have much of an appreciation for different animation styles. This reminds me of when The Wind Waker came out and a ton of Zelda "fans" instantly called the cel-shading style garbage. Years later a lot of fans and critics praised the game as being a work of art for the same reason that years earlier some people called it trash.

Going back to the world of anime, there is a lot more variety in the animation styles than what you'd think. Just look at Kill la Kill and it's completely hammy, over-the top style, the vivid colors and the rough edges. Most people loved it anyways because it was made by some guy from ex-Studio Gainax, but it was definetly out there as far as animation styles go. Or go look at the more recent Flip Flappers, which had a very artsy style and some really amazing colors. Then there's some more experimental stuff like that one Ping Pong anime whose name I forgot (I didn't like that one but kudos to them for doing something different and it was actually critically acvlaimed too). There is just so many different styles that are amazing for so many different reasons, but some people just can't stomach anything that is different from what's considered the traditional anime style in the west (which is ironic, because the traditional anime style was more like what you see in Doraemon and Sazae-san. The "traditional anime style" we know is simply the style of the first few popular animes that were exported to the west such as Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Digimon).

The art style of Sun and Moon is actually very reminescent of The Wind Waker. There's no cel shading of course, but it's a lot more cartoonish compared to previous seasons, with the characters being a bit more round around the edges and with more vivid colors. Personally I like it and Pokemon has my congratulations for exploring with this style despite the potential backslash.

As for the story itself, I don't know if we're looking at the same anime because I'm really liking it so far.

This is a really random thought, but I actually find the thought of Beware replacing the Blasting Off Again routine to be refreshing and actually pretty hilarious. Team Rocket even lampshades it by saying something like "is this going to be the first time we blast off here?", looking pretty happy, and then Beware jumps out of totally nowhere and takes them away. Speaking of Team Rocket, it's actually really nice that they don't show up every episode and actually let the story progress a little more smoothly. Oh, and Meoth's near death experience was hilarious too xd Funny how Pokemon recognizes that Gardevoir is somewhat fan servicey.

I've heard some people say the rotom-dex is annoying but I think he's pretty funny, specially how he reacts to Satoshi's antics (like how he's totally shocked at how rowlett basically caught himself).

While I'm at it, the comedy in the show is pretty great. Everything from how Mao and Satoshi look totally not amused by the Professor's lame pokepuns to how Satoshi keeps getting rekt by random pokemon but always ends up being fine is pretty funny. And my god, Rowlett is absolutely adorable. The chapter where he appears he's such an airhaid and it's super funny. There's a lot more that could be said but I find the comedy of this show in general to be great.

The characters are all very likable as well. The MVP is definetely Lillie though. She's so cute, and the episode where Pikachu trolls the heck out of her and bumps his head into her hands is amazing. I'm really curious to see the anime explore more of her background and her relationship with her family. I can alreafy guess Lusamine has something to do with why she's so scared of pokemon, but since I haven't played the game (I don't own a DS q.q) I don't know what's going to happen, so I'm hype for that.

Overall the season is looking very good and I hope you would give it a chance. To me it seems that you do not appreciate the series for what it is and that you were expecting more of the same from the first few gens. But what's the fun in that? Let them experiment a bit. In my books at least, the experiment that has been Sun and Moon has been successful.

I've watched over 100 different anime series over the years, so I know pretty well when I'm looking at something good and when I don't like what I'm seeing. I know there are people who have watched even more than that, but I think I have enough experience with anime to tell good anime apart from trash.

I will have to say I haven't watched Sun and Moon yet but I will be sure to.

27 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Noreally

Rookie Trainer

• Noreally

Till now I love the anime It's just that it's gotten slightly boring over the years.

28 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

Evmaster37201

Junior Trainer

• Evmaster37201

Seems the people who do appreciate "art" are more often artist themselves, no?  ;)

(Or just have an eye for it)

On a different note, while I grew up with English Pokemon I now prefer it's original Japanese counterpart. Now that is art on a whole different level. But I'm minority.   :)

Edited by Evmaster37201, 28 January 2017 - 01:53 AM.

♥~ Treat others how you want to be treated ~

28 January 2017 - 02:18 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Seems the people who do appreciate "art" are more often artist themselves, no?  ;)
(Or just have an eye for it)

On a different note, while I grew up with English Pokemon I now prefer it's original Japanese counterpart. Now that is art on a whole different level. But I'm minority.   :)

I started out with dubs when I was a little kid because the internet wasn't as wide-spread and stuff, but tge moment I watched my first sub I just couldn't go back anymore. Most dubs are of pretty dubious quality, and what 4Kids Entretainment did to the original Pokemon series + a few others like One Piece is unforgivable. Only a select few anime series have good dub, and once in a blue moon you'll find an anime that has an arguably better dub than sub (Cowboy Beebop seems to have a pretty good dub from what I've heard).

28 January 2017 - 02:24 AM

Evmaster37201

Junior Trainer

• Evmaster37201

I started out with dubs too because the internet was't widespread yet. Sailor Moon, DBZ, Digimon, Pokemon etc are to name a few.

Not that all English dub are bad but I've noticed a more professional quality when it came to Japanese voice acting. I'm astonished how the Pokemon Dub remains popular to this day.

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the Pokemon movies in Japanese. It's a shame the original isn't shared with America. But I do understand some reasons why. Gotta admit though, in this day and age changing an Onigiri to a Sandwich is ridiculous. That's just my opinion.

♥~ Treat others how you want to be treated ~

28 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I started out with dubs when I was a little kid because the internet wasn't as wide-spread and stuff, but tge moment I watched my first sub I just couldn't go back anymore. Most dubs are of pretty dubious quality, and what 4Kids Entretainment did to the original Pokemon series + a few others like One Piece is unforgivable. Only a select few anime series have good dub, and once in a blue moon you'll find an anime that has an arguably better dub than sub (Cowboy Beebop seems to have a pretty good dub from what I've heard).

Oh man, you just reminded me of that one episode...  The one where Ash catches a Mankey.  They're eating rice balls.  And they're obviously rice balls.  And Brock keeps calling them donuts.                                            It was something of a running joke. :P But you're right; usually the dub changes weren't positive.

Edited by SuperStone, 28 January 2017 - 03:21 PM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

28 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Oh man, you just reminded me of that one episode...  The one where Ash catches a Mankey.  They're eating rice balls.  And they're obviously rice balls.  And Brock keeps calling them donuts.                                            It was something of a running joke. :P But you're right; usually the dub changes weren't positive.

Oh yeah I remember that xD I don't know what they even did that. I guess 4Kids thought Americans were not well informed enough to tell what rice is. Obviously Onigiri are not something you see in America every day but it's not hard to understand the concept.

The thing is 4Kids though. I don't like dubs in general but I can accept some for what they are. But generally anything touched by 4Kids is butchered to heck and back.

29 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison
All I'm saying is that if you can watch the Japanese episodes where Korrina couldn't control her Mega Lucario and and call those episodes boring, you have no soul. Watching Pikachu get tossed like a rag doll is the only thing that made me watch that season of Pokemon.

It sounds more like you grew up and feel nostalgic now. Nothing wrong with that but you can't judge things when you have a huge bias like that. I enjoyed watching Ash lose to Paul and Cynthia sweeping Paul. Each season has its highs and lows.

It's your opinion though at the end of the day.

Edited by samuraison, 29 January 2017 - 11:31 PM.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"

30 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

I agree on the first four seasons, since they were well connected, and you got to see some character growth from Ash, and see him mix and match his old pokemon with the pokemon from the region he is traveling in, except for Hoenn.  Black and White changed a who lot of things, while at the same time, felt like a reset button was pushed and Unova was like a bit of a remake of Ash's adventures in Kanto.  That, and nothing seems to be brought up about Ash's past, or even bring in any of his old Pokémon, except Charizard, back for any reason, just keep each journey into a new region as unique as possible to bring in a fresh batch of fans.

Black and White brought in a bunch of new stuff, and breaking the fundamentals you learn in the beginning, like Ash capturing about 10 Unova Pokémon and rotating them, yet, instead of the extra pokemon being sent automatically to Juniper, Ash has to send it back when he reaches the next Pokémon Center, and you don't see him bring in any of his old pokemon for the League, especially to give Trip some humility and contradict what he said about Kanto.

XY, seemed to have so many promises, but delivered nothing, like say, with Serena, sure you have flashbacks, and see building blocks of Ash gaining a girlfriend, only, like business as usual, she ends up going her own way, only to become forgotten like the rest.  You don't see Ash bringing in all of his old pokemon, and see him do like he did in Battle Frontier, and BW, to where he rotate his pokemon along with the Kalos pokemon he catches, and give them all a chance to grow some.  Pretty sure one thing people were looking for was to see which of his Pokémon he gets to Mega Evolve, yet instead, Ash gets to Spirit Evolve his Greninja into an Ash-Greninja, which unique, also seems like a cheap shortcut.  Don't get me wrong, seeing Ash get something that is unique only to him, yet at the same time, seems more like an excuse not to give Ash or his pokemon a big boost in abilities, and something else to learn, that and also an excuse on not giving Ash a Key Stone, even though ironically, they give him a Key Stone.  Sun and Moon, haven't seen it, and not sure I well.

Mainly, to me at least, feels like the anime lost it's identity by trying to keep it fresh, and keeping Ash's past more like a distant memory, somehow, wouldn't be surprising if by the end of Sun and Moon, and whatever pokemon he catches by then, if they keep repeating the same approach, then somebody is going to wonder what is so great about Ash and where he came from, and make him seem as overused as they have been making him out to be, with no real goals, or purpose.

30 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Noreally

Rookie Trainer

• Noreally

I agree on the first four seasons, since they were well connected, and you got to see some character growth from Ash, and see him mix and match his old pokemon with the pokemon from the region he is traveling in, except for Hoenn.  Black and White changed a who lot of things, while at the same time, felt like a reset button was pushed and Unova was like a bit of a remake of Ash's adventures in Kanto.  That, and nothing seems to be brought up about Ash's past, or even bring in any of his old Pokémon, except Charizard, back for any reason, just keep each journey into a new region as unique as possible to bring in a fresh batch of fans.

Black and White brought in a bunch of new stuff, and breaking the fundamentals you learn in the beginning, like Ash capturing about 10 Unova Pokémon and rotating them, yet, instead of the extra pokemon being sent automatically to Juniper, Ash has to send it back when he reaches the next Pokémon Center, and you don't see him bring in any of his old pokemon for the League, especially to give Trip some humility and contradict what he said about Kanto.

XY, seemed to have so many promises, but delivered nothing, like say, with Serena, sure you have flashbacks, and see building blocks of Ash gaining a girlfriend, only, like business as usual, she ends up going her own way, only to become forgotten like the rest.  You don't see Ash bringing in all of his old pokemon, and see him do like he did in Battle Frontier, and BW, to where he rotate his pokemon along with the Kalos pokemon he catches, and give them all a chance to grow some.  Pretty sure one thing people were looking for was to see which of his Pokémon he gets to Mega Evolve, yet instead, Ash gets to Spirit Evolve his Greninja into an Ash-Greninja, which unique, also seems like a cheap shortcut.  Don't get me wrong, seeing Ash get something that is unique only to him, yet at the same time, seems more like an excuse not to give Ash or his pokemon a big boost in abilities, and something else to learn, that and also an excuse on not giving Ash a Key Stone, even though ironically, they give him a Key Stone.  Sun and Moon, haven't seen it, and not sure I well.

Mainly, to me at least, feels like the anime lost it's identity by trying to keep it fresh, and keeping Ash's past more like a distant memory, somehow, wouldn't be surprising if by the end of Sun and Moon, and whatever pokemon he catches by then, if they keep repeating the same approach, then somebody is going to wonder what is so great about Ash and where he came from, and make him seem as overused as they have been making him out to be, with no real goals, or purpose.

I couldn't agree enough.

30 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Noreally

Rookie Trainer

• Noreally

All I'm saying is that if you can watch the Japanese episodes where Korrina couldn't control her Mega Lucario and and call those episodes boring, you have no soul. Watching Pikachu get tossed like a rag doll is the only thing that made me watch that season of Pokemon.

It sounds more like you grew up and feel nostalgic now. Nothing wrong with that but you can't judge things when you have a huge bias like that. I enjoyed watching Ash lose to Paul and Cynthia sweeping Paul. Each season has its highs and lows.

It's your opinion though at the end of the day.

I have a soul and just to tell you the X and Y games are amazing. I couldn't care less about the X and Y anime though it was a huge mistake.

21 February 2017 - 04:07 AM

Mod_Diamond

Novice Trainer

• Mod_Diamond

I have a soul and just to tell you the X and Y games are amazing. I couldn't care less about the X and Y anime though it was a huge mistake.

I'll have to agree with you there, as someone who came into the games very late, I did very much enjoy the X and Y games, I never got more than a few episodes into the X and Y anime though, it just didn't fit my taste.