6 Pokemon limit rule?

• Please log in to reply

29 November 2016 - 07:01 PM

Newfan2153

Rookie Trainer

• Newfan2153
In season 14 (black and white) and 15 (Black & White: Rival Destinies) of course Ash can only have 6 pokemon on hand. I am not finished watching season 15 but ive counted that Ash has caught 8 pokemon so far and of course his pikachu. Since the episode where he caught sewaddle, he has had more than 6 pokemon. And since then you will see all 9 pokemon throughout the season (probably more if he catches more), but he never explains that he is trading the pokemon out with the professor. How does he have all 9 pokemon on hand.

My guess is that it just never shows that he is trading some pokemon out for another.

Can anyome explain this for me? Bonus points if you can find the episode where this is explained.

30 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

There is no episode where this is explained. :) It's one of those things that TPCI would rather not elaborate on.  However, my theory, which is supported by quotes from RPs in various main-series video games, is that 6 pokemon is merely a suggestion, as it is very difficult to train even that many at one time.  Also, the National Pokémon League strengthens the rule by allowing up to six pokemon in gym and E-4 battles.  If Ash has nine with him, most of them will probably just be sitting in their pokeballs most of the day.  It's very difficult to work with that many at a time- and knowing Ash, he'd still try.  And still fail.   And still manage to get eight badges.  And still never win a league.  In over 15 years, that kid has learned virtually nothing.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

30 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

Newfan2153

Rookie Trainer

• Newfan2153

There is no episode where this is explained. :) It's one of those things that TPCI would rather not elaborate on.  However, my theory, which is supported by quotes from RPs in various main-series video games, is that 6 pokemon is merely a suggestion, as it is very difficult to train even that many at one time.  Also, the National Pokémon League strengthens the rule by allowing up to six pokemon in gym and E-4 battles.  If Ash has nine with him, most of them will probably just be sitting in their pokeballs most of the day.  It's very difficult to work with that many at a time- and knowing Ash, he'd still try.  And still fail.   And still manage to get eight badges.  And still never win a league.  In over 15 years, that kid has learned virtually nothing.

The most annoying part is that at the start of every adventure its as if its his first time being a trainer. Like he has forgotten that he has been on several impossible adventures at the age of 10-13?(my guess) and survived without a scratch at the end.

10 December 2016 - 02:26 AM

Victorsaurus

Junior Trainer

• Victorsaurus

It happens behind the scenes. I remember an episode or 2 that has Iris/Cilan asking when he switched PKMN and Ash says something like "I did it while you 2 were eating" or something like that, guess he also has 5 in hand when he captures a new one.

27 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Actually, that was a rule that somehow, either got changed, or forgotten about, because in the first season, when Ash catches Krabby, which would be his 7th pokemon, and since he has a full belt, they showed the pokeball vanished, then it's explained, something to serve as an extension for the RBY games, that any extra pokemon automatically got sent to Professor Oak, along with some extra feature that was supposed to be available for the PokeDex at the time.  With BW, they just had the pokeballs locked up, saying that Ash has to find a Pokemon Center and send the extra pokemon to Professor Juniper showing how much BW changed the anime series.  Muk would be the exception, since even though Ash had an extra slot on his belt at the time, he just decided to have Professor Oak deal with the stench.

03 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

@GrewupGeek I was just going to bring up that episode which always stood out as strange. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

07 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

Evmaster37201

Junior Trainer

• Evmaster37201

After watching so many anime and series in my life, I've come to accept there is no one set rule for shows. The Krabby episode may have happened but that entire episode may now as well be disregarded. I've seen a few series stick with some plot for it to be completely dumped and rewritten. (Battle Star Galactica anyone? The newer one. Oh and Grimm.)

My guess is, as fans we would be the ones remembering all the little details. But the actual creators may not have their full hearts into creating stuff like they did 10 years ago. I can't even begin to fathom sticking with a genre like Pokemon over the years. Such high demand. Too many fans. Never ending. lol

♥~ Treat others how you want to be treated ~

07 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

Mod_Diamond

Novice Trainer

• Mod_Diamond

It's probably one of those little details that kind of goes unnoticed as the series goes on, and just kind of realize that the trading to Professor Oak is probably going on behind the scenes, as that probably wouldn't make for a very interesting part of the episode for most people.

09 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek
Although if I remember right, during the Orange Islands, I think there was a guy called ******, who supposedly carried like what, 30 diglet and a dugtrio, which shows there might be an exception to the rule, but would never be explained, just like how Drake's Dragonite can use 14 moves, which is ten times over the 4 attack rule that they have been upholding for so long. Something that isn't meant to be explained, especially if they want to keep whatever story they are telling intact.

10 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Just keep in mind that the 'four move' thing is a league rule.  The games just say they can't 'remember' more because not all of your battles are league battles, and they don't want to deal with all the technicalities.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

10 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Except I don't think the league has a move limit, because otherwise, Drake would have lost on techinicality.  Since you never see anybody use anything past four moves, just all of a sudden, gain a new move that somehow takes over for an old move that just never gets used again, without an explanation, and since the anime tends to copy the games too much, then it won't be explained why the old moves don't get reused, like how Pikachu started to use Iron Tail in place of Thunder.

11 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Except I don't think the league has a move limit, because otherwise, Drake would have lost on techinicality.  Since you never see anybody use anything past four moves, just all of a sudden, gain a new move that somehow takes over for an old move that just never gets used again, without an explanation, and since the anime tends to copy the games too much, then it won't be explained why the old moves don't get reused, like how Pikachu started to use Iron Tail in place of Thunder.

Well, in Pokémon Adventures, there are multiple references to it being a league rule.  And don't expect the anime to make any sense.  After all, since when has the anime cared about being true to the rest of the Pokearth?  Almost everything it does, it makes up.

11 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Especially when they lose track on what was explained in the past.  Besides, the anime hasn't been same since BW started, considering the fact that they just plant Ash in a new region with some kind all original adventure when compared to the old ones, and it's hard to tell if Ash still wants to be a Pokemon Master, or if he is just checking out the world one region at a time.  I don't think the show has a theme to run on anymore.

And with Pokemon Adventures, like the anime, I think the league rule is just an excuse for the people who are writing the story to not try and remember every little move in the series and which pokemon can use it.  Because unless they showed somebody unintentionally break that rule, then it just leaves out the human factor, or in some cases, if the pokemon uses an attack without the trainer's orders.

Edited by GrewupGeek, 11 March 2017 - 07:15 PM.