Reporting scam attempt.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

17 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Kaede-Rocks

Rookie Trainer

• Kaede-Rocks

Good morning, guys. I'm new here, so i'm not aware of the netiquette regarding this matter. If it's on a wrong forum, i deeply apologyze, and please move it to where it correspond.

an undefined user (?) attempted to scam players today. I offer the following screeshot as evidence

edit: i can't upload the screenshot, but i can provide it for moderators if needed.

Scammers polute good games.

Edited by Kaede-Rocks, 17 October 2016 - 11:00 PM.

17 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

PokeeZepp

Veteran Trainer

• PokeeZepp

Naming and shaming will likely just get you a ban.

Anything above this line is just my opinion.  Anything below the line is, too.

17 October 2016 - 10:18 PM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

Best you report the player by submitting a support ticket also I suggest removing the name form your post as it is against forums rules to post other players names

17 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

Kaede-Rocks

Rookie Trainer

• Kaede-Rocks

Wow, you guys make me feel like the bad guy here. It's permitted to scam in this game?

17 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

drunior

Senior Trainer

• drunior

It seems to me they're simply trying to save you the trouble of being banned. They can't help you report someone. That's your job as the one with the evidence. Seeing as you cannot share it, except with support, by TOS rules.

Good luck in getting any proven (but publicly unnamed) scammers banned.  ^_^

"So, you're saying I'm a nerd because I play Pokemon instead of MTG? Ha, that's like a Blastoise telling a Squirtle he can never be fast because he's a turtle!"

18 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

Wow, you guys make me feel like the bad guy here. It's permitted to scam in this game?

As drunior said, we have nothing against you, we just don't want to see you banned out of the blue for not knowing the forum rules, otherwise you could post the person's name on the forum

18 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

settlers25

Expert Trainer

• settlers25
How did the player trying to scam you? Offering you a bad private trade?

If yes: What was he offer?
Note: Some Secret Rare cards and Full art can be very expensive.
Some time People send you trade with the cards they have interest in, and then you have to counter the offer.

But there are many players desperat to get a Shaymin Ex, i have problem with players sending bad trade for the card, simpel way to deal with that problem is to untag the crd :)

Edited by settlers25, 18 October 2016 - 02:56 AM.

- 100% Perfect Complete, 42 set completed. BETA Tester from 2011 -- Total Game played: 21.835.- Perfect Complete: HeartGold & SoulSilver -> Evolution (Foil & Non foil)- Black & White Noble Victories

- I have put my account to sleep again... I will return a day...

19 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Kaede-Rocks

Rookie Trainer

• Kaede-Rocks

No. He actually asked for my username and password.

IN the public chat, he said he was a hacker, and could give all pokemon to people. To bait him out (and to prevent anyone from being scammed) i told him i was interested, and, as expected, he asked in private for my password and username.

Personally, i don't consider "scam" a bad trade. Maybe it is if you're offered a Set Up Shaymin, and the trade comes with one of the worthless ones, but being offered 1 pack for a Vocalnion EX FA is simply a bad trade.

This d00d was actively trying to scam people out of their accounts. And most likely succeeded.

19 October 2016 - 04:08 AM

drunior

Senior Trainer

• drunior

Yeah that's a classic phishing scam. I mean as long as you get even one screen shot and report it to support it surely will be taken care of. How long I couldn't say. But really the only proactive measures one can take is to warn others of the danger. Even if they did have 24hr or less wait time for support people will still be scammed, sadly.

"So, you're saying I'm a nerd because I play Pokemon instead of MTG? Ha, that's like a Blastoise telling a Squirtle he can never be fast because he's a turtle!"

01 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

KarpGrinder

Expert Trainer

• KarpGrinder

I haven't seen anyone post the link - Submit your screenshot with a support ticket to:

http://support.pokemon.com

Unfortunately the scammer is likely involved in Real Money Trade (RMT) or selling in-game items/cards/packs through a third party website in exchange for real money - one of the few actions that can result in a permanent ban from the PTCGO.

The unfortunate bit is that by the time support responds to the claim/evidence the scammer has likely already completed the scams and shuffled the products around enough via public trade "laundering" to make it difficult if not impossible for the items to be traced to their final destination - the account that was attempting to scam likely a dummy account that will be easily replaced.

Edited by KarpGrinder, 01 November 2016 - 03:49 PM.

01 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

1Element

Expert Trainer

• 1Element
this game actually encourages scamming they dont even bother trying to fix it or anything

01 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

thepokestaller

Trainer

• thepokestaller

Good morning, guys. I'm new here, so i'm not aware of the netiquette regarding this matter. If it's on a wrong forum, i deeply apologyze, and please move it to where it correspond.

an undefined user (?) attempted to scam players today. I offer the following screeshot as evidence

edit: i can't upload the screenshot, but i can provide it for moderators if needed.

Scammers polute good games.

what did he do?

02 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

dziesmer

Elite Trainer

• dziesmer

For some reason there seems to be some hostility on this thread. So I will give the simple answer.

To report a player, click the link in the signature of any moderator. There you can upload screenshots and name shame at will, without any risk to yourself for calling them out. Publically shaming is not allowed for obvious reasons, but many players do it without knowing. The other replies are just trying to point that out to prevent you getting in trouble for trying to report a scam.  

- Need cards in game? Check out Violet City Trading Company in the In-Game Item Exchange section of the forums. 

- I am always looking for my tagged wants. Add me in-game and send me a PM if you are interested in helping me complete my collection.

02 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
I think OP just wasn't clear enough and people thought that this was another report on bad trade offers. Maybe he should edit the first post to avoid confusion and specify that he's reporting a phishing scam.

It's still against the forum rules to post specific names, but it may have been a good idea to post this warning. At the very least, anyone who reads this won't be falling for the scam.

04 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

Shaane

Rookie Trainer

• Shaane

Hi i have just been scammed today ****** 51 of my best cards for some sleeves i was told were the rarest in the vame
I cant upload screenshot but i know all my cards that were scammed and the scammers screen name is .
I quite new and scammers have ruined rge game for me. Any help woule be appreciated.

04 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Mod_Turtle

• Mod_Turtle

Hi i have just been scammed today ****** 51 of my best cards for some sleeves i was told were the rarest in the vame
I cant upload screenshot but i know all my cards that were scammed and the scammers screen name is .
I quite new and scammers have ruined rge game for me. Any help woule be appreciated.

Hello Shaane,

Please submit a ticket for this issue by clicking the support portal link in my signature. Sharing screennames on the forum when referring to a dispute is not allowed.

Thank you.

Moderator Turtle
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
“Shello, how may I help you today?”

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I cant upload screenshot but i know all my cards that were scammed and the scammers screen name is [deleting this so the Mod doesn't have to edit 2 posts].

Firstly, refer to my answer to you in your own thread: 

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/69123-scammers/#entry617100

Second, you refused to listen to the Mod's warning. That the rules aren't enforced with an iron fist doesn't mean that they're there for show. You're not allowed to post another user's name when making an accusation. I cannot speak for this guy, but if people were allowed to name and shame every time they had an issue with someone it'd be stupidly easy to ruin the reputation of random people who may not have done anything wrong at all.

Third, you necro bumped a 2 year old thread. You're not allowed to post on threads that have been inactive for more than 2 weeks. In my experience, this is flexible and will depend on what kind of thread it was, but here you obviously had no reason to necro bump this.

Fourth, this is spam. You already made 1 thread about this, you don't need to make another one or post your "problem" in a different thread.

Fifth, you didn't even bother reading the thread that you necro'd. OP is talking about a phishing scam, which has nothing to do with the kind of "scam" that you're complaining about.