Please don't can the chat!

• Please log in to reply

24 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

BurningSun7

Junior Trainer

• BurningSun7

1 thing I really am not able to comprehend and failing to understand here is, if they are adding canned chat with a mute button, why not just have the mute button instead??? *facepalm*

That's a good point. If someone is truly getting harrased, cursed at, etc., just use that dang mute button. There's no sense in taking the in-game chat away when we have that option.

24 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

Endosutra

Veteran Trainer

• Endosutra

That's a good point. If someone is truly getting harrased, cursed at, etc., just use that dang mute button. There's no sense in taking the in-game chat away when we have that option.

The mute button does not work, at least it didn't work at all when I tried to use it vs a rude player. 

Member Gen 1? 

Ooh, I memba!

Tourney Record: Gold: 50 Silver: 15 Bronze: 20

I am more offended by censorship than by the thing being censored. 

25 September 2016 - 12:04 AM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

The mute button does not work, at least it didn't work at all when I tried to use it vs a rude player. 

It doesn't exist at this very moment, when the update comes then it will be implimented

25 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

FinnDaddy

Junior Trainer

• FinnDaddy

They need to keep chat, but improve it.

1) Have permanent muting option, only canned comments/emoticons option, or a temporary one game muting option (touch or click button easily visible on the side).

2) Have respectful one touch canned phrases easily accessible and always visible (at least on a computer or decent sized tablet, I cant speak for players that play on a small phone like device or mini tablet). These could come on in a highly visible part of the screen and fade out fairly quickly, so no chat box needed.

3) for hand types messages- no need to open a box and click in the type a message area when playing in full screen mode, simply typing any key should automatically enter it into the dialog box and a quick enter sends it.

Honestly, I don't play much but am trying to return. I still want faster, less bells and whistles play. A while ago, I used several team flare grunts and the opponent said he will now drain my bank account and let the timer run out. Hard to stop that without going into the match muted, but I have not had any real disturbing interactions in a match.

I have tons of ideas for making the game chat rooms better, but that's for another time.

25 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

9999ben9

Expert Trainer

• 9999ben9

this removal of a chat is only taking away from the community mentality that makes this game great. I realize there is still a chat in all other aspects but i was actually hoping for a direction that would add all other chats access into the game mode rather then removing it completely. Making the game like hearthstone's chat is only going to make users have more of a alone feeling rather then the great community that this game has.

Id like an ability to mute cetain players in game but taking away chat is just not the best move. I think the coolest thing would to be able to access trade chat or any other chat in game rather then take away all of it

Phantom Knight Trading Company

Come to PKTC to get all your decks needs. Best Prices, Fun Promotions, and Great Rewards for an Amazing Community  :)

26 September 2016 - 01:14 AM

BurningSun7

Junior Trainer

• BurningSun7
The good news is that after the chat is canned, the regular chat can always come back. All the developers have to do is change the coding. If enough people are dissatisfied with the canned chat and the devs hear us, they might bring it back.

26 September 2016 - 05:02 AM

max32td

Senior Trainer

• max32td

so, what i am going to do when i want to do evolve challenge.

when i am doing evolving, i use deck without any energy cards.

imagine how miserable my life will be, when my opponent one by one KO my pokemons while i dont even intend to win...

26 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

jcgss77

Expert Trainer

• jcgss77

1 thing I really am not able to comprehend and failing to understand here is, if they are adding canned chat with a mute button, why not just have the mute button instead??? *facepalm*

They need to keep chat, but improve it.

1) Have permanent muting option, only canned comments/emoticons option, or a temporary one game muting option (touch or click button easily visible on the side).

2) Have respectful one touch canned phrases easily accessible and always visible (at least on a computer or decent sized tablet, I cant speak for players that play on a small phone like device or mini tablet). These could come on in a highly visible part of the screen and fade out fairly quickly, so no chat box needed.

3) for hand types messages- no need to open a box and click in the type a message area when playing in full screen mode, simply typing any key should automatically enter it into the dialog box and a quick enter sends it.

Honestly, I don't play much but am trying to return. I still want faster, less bells and whistles play. A while ago, I used several team flare grunts and the opponent said he will now drain my bank account and let the timer run out. Hard to stop that without going into the match muted, but I have not had any real disturbing interactions in a match.

I have tons of ideas for making the game chat rooms better, but that's for another time.

this removal of a chat is only taking away from the community mentality that makes this game great. I realize there is still a chat in all other aspects but i was actually hoping for a direction that would add all other chats access into the game mode rather then removing it completely. Making the game like hearthstone's chat is only going to make users have more of a alone feeling rather then the great community that this game has.

Id like an ability to mute cetain players in game but taking away chat is just not the best move. I think the coolest thing would to be able to access trade chat or any other chat in game rather then take away all of it

YES!

Mods, please respond, this is a much more serious issue than Shiftry, in my honest opinion.  So we can at least have a discussion with you about this.

26 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

STRATOS99KINGZ

Junior Trainer

• STRATOS99KINGZ
They should bring back the chat it really helps, I have made friends that way and even had great conversations, event learnt stuff, in all these months playing, only once someone got mad at me insulting because I was winning a tournament final, meanwhile in other tournament final my opponent didn't understand how I was doing great damage with a darkrai, then I explained and we ended the tournament well, I won and that was it, now there will be more reports of people accusing others because they don't understand something and they can't chat in game.

Tourney Record:  *Gold:185   *Silver:83    *Bronze:85

26 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

TPCi_Samhayne

TPCi Staff

• TPCi_Samhayne

Sorry ladies and gents, not much to be discussed on this account.  Chat was removed from matches and is not planned to be returned.  Thanks in advance for your understanding.

If you are looking for as to why, I believe the issue has been debated from both sides rather well in this thread.  For example, Awesomeguy's reply was pretty much on the mark:

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/46559-please-dont-can-the-chat/?p=513904

But honestly i think the amount of harm the canned chat is doing to the game is being highly exaggerated (because for every fun opponent i find there are at least two crude-speaking trolls out there). In fact yesterday someone just commented on going to bed with my mom.

I think i held my cool fairly well but what happens if the next person can't. Does it degrade into a petty fight over what started out as a theme deck token tournament?

Unfortunately, chalk this one up to the trolls winning.  

Alex Leary
Pokémon TCG Online
The Pokémon Company International

Need help from the support team? Visit the [url="http://www.pokemon.com/support"]support portal[/url] and submit a ticket!

26 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

DannyFlamez

Rookie Trainer

• DannyFlamez

Getting rid of chat is a ridiculous and unnecessary idea.

In Pokemon, be it shows or live card battles, YOU and YOUR opponent are in a battle, begin able to get tips, make funny quips, or polite taunts, adding after a friendly competitive fun battle is the best part. I've added so many players and able to do trades with them from fun battles I've had.

No chat takes away from the PvP interaction, I feel like I'm just playing bots now. It really just downgrades the game for me and making me play less.

BRING BACK CHAT

26 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

whitejaguar

Trainer

• whitejaguar
So TPCi Samhayne tell us what is the reason of adding this Mute Button. People are saying all these bad things in other chats(lobby,trade chat or others), so i think these chats should be removed.Also sending private message should be blocked,someone can say something "cancerous" to me.

Edited by whitejaguar, 26 September 2016 - 10:14 PM.

26 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

(Freezes.)  (begins to twitch) (face turns to rage) Hold it.  There are only four messages?!??  Only FOUR out of the FIFTY we had when NOBODY USED THEM?!!?  WHY!??!?!  WHY did you REMOVE something ALREADY PROGRAMMED IN that had practically ZERO potential for harm?!!? (calms down)  Either I'm missing something major, or you just made a major mistake.  We had plenty of things to say before the update, so I was going to be only fairly annoyed and fully accepting that this was at least temporarily necessary.  But upon seeing that almost all of that is gone...  (crys)

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

26 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

CycloneGU

Trainer

• CycloneGU

Reposting as a new post due to enter not working in post editing.

Edited by CycloneGU, 26 September 2016 - 10:54 PM.

26 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

CycloneGU

Trainer

• CycloneGU
TPCi_Samhayne, I shall speak directly to you with my reply.

I only learned today of the canned chat being a new feature. I am very disturbed by this development. It means that the only way to chat with someone is by adding them as a friend, hope they accept your friend request, and then start chatting. Now you instead have scripted chat messages (seriously, "Your deck is good!" makes me want to throw up), and people are only allowed to say things you want them to say. It's like Swapnote (on 3DS) removing the ability to send images and messages to people in every way except for Streetpass. I no longer use Swapnote ever since then, and I don't think many others do, either.

Chat, for a new player, is a way to ask their opponents what they think of their deck, if there's any way they can improve their decks. It's also a way to have a meaningful conversation, such as discussing previous rounds in a final match of a tournament. Now that's all gone. The way to socialize and be friendly with people is gone.

What I ask is simple: bring chat back. Having some canned chat messages is good for a quick chat function, but we need to be able to have custom chat as well. Have a feature where players can disable all custom chat while receiving canned chat. That would be a good step, I think. That way, players who don't want custom chat don't have to have it, and those who do can have it again. Also, it should be opt-in to disable custom chat; don't force everyone to have disabled chat as people may not know how to turn it on. We might as well be playing this game on a Nintendo console now because that's where you find canned chat. There's no point to having a computer portal anymore.

Also, TPCi_Samhayne, I want to bring up another issue from another thread. There are now even more limitations in earning tokens. I agree that removing ways to earn tokens is bad. I already do not like the wheel; with random prizes, you have no idea whether you're going to make the tokens you need for something. I would prefer more of a tiered prize format: first win gets 25 tokens, maybe second win as well, then third win you get a tournament ticket. Fourth and fifth wins: 50 tokens. Sixth win: 2 tournament tickets. Then bump it to 100, then 4 tickets, 200 tokens, and finally the final prize at the top: a guaranteed random booster pack. At that point, the people who put in the time get all ten prizes knowing they're going to get them as they earn ladder points, and people can get their ten prizes every day while completing the ladder. You know you can make 450 tokens a day, plus 7 tournament tickets, plus a booster pack. As it is, random prizes have at times netted me 25 tokens with every single box, and then there are tournaments with an 89 token entry fee and some prizes refuse to be spun in the game of chance wheel...it makes it very unfriendly. Having the tiered prize structure would provide us again with some of the tokens lost by removing this other method of earning them. It also lets people play in as many as five token entry tournaments per day with no problem as all if they choose to (more if they save tokens), or buy a pair of packs in the shop, or some combination. At the moment, I'm lucky if I earn enough tokens to buy one pack, and there are new must-have 800+ token bundles in the shop all the time. Reducing ways to earn tokens in turn makes it harder to jump on these promotions. Don't do this.

The question might then come up: how does PTCGO ********** for TPCI? Simple: charge less for tournament tickets and gems. Right now, the pricing is so egregious in that you value digital cards at the same value as regular physical trading cards. This is a mistake. I think the tickets and gems options would get a lot more traffic and income for the company if they were more affordable. Right now, I would not in my right mind spend buy gems or tickets. I might if they were within an everyday player's budget. I buy the real cards. I'd rather buy the real cards over the digital cards if the same money value is applied. Digital prices should be, at most, a fifth of physical, and they should in fact be less. That's my opinion.

I really would love to be part of a group discussing these issues and more with people that have decision-making power for the game and company. I really feel that TPCI ignoring the majority of its community (regarding chat) and overvaluing digital merchandise (tickets and gems) are two things that are genuinely going to hurt the game. Fixes to these things will make this an even etter game than it already is.

Cheers.

26 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

Adonia4489

Rookie Trainer

• Adonia4489

I hate the fact that the chat is gone to be honest. Tons of other games have chats and kids play.l I dont understand why pokemon is any different.

27 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

Yoggington

Novice Trainer

• Yoggington
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Isn't the TCG supposed to be a social game? Of all the ways to combat the occasional troll players, the devs take the ******* possible avenue and

I am never ever going to use this new chat. Not ever. It's completely useless. I can't ask a guy whether his deck is working out for him or how he'd improve mine. Or ask if he doesn't mind not conceding while I chip away at a challenge. Or bond with a stranger by mocking the devs latest "improvements" lol.

And without being able to talk with opponents about all kinds of things, suddenly this game become just another computer game, and the whole thing becomes a grind.

I don't want this to read like a flouncey "omg fix this or I quit!!" message. But it's not as fun all of a sudden. And if it's not fun, I'm less likely to play. And I wonder how many more people that is true for.

27 September 2016 - 12:39 AM

Yoggington

Novice Trainer

• Yoggington
Ah censors. ******* is clearly a highly offensive word when discussing the devs approaches.

Edited by Yoggington, 27 September 2016 - 12:41 AM.

27 September 2016 - 01:28 AM

CycloneGU

Trainer

• CycloneGU

Ah censors. ******* is clearly a highly offensive word when discussing the devs approaches.

Don't worry, apparently the words "make" and "money" are also very sensitive words in my post.

27 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

Mvp_Alexis

Rookie Trainer

• Mvp_Alexis

Wow I thought it was a simple bug, but they deleted the chat ... ? It was so fun to small-talk with other players from around the world ! Going back on Steam games I guess