Please don't can the chat!

• Please log in to reply

20 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

They are.  I had to turn on the chat in my son's account.

Simply put, if the entities responsible in PTCGO would aptly punish those who are reported, and I mean ZERO TOLERANCE, we would have the bulk of offenders muted for a good period of time for first offense, then a longer mute and short ban from all PTCGO affairs for second offense, and the hammer put down in a permaban for 3rd offense.  Why would this not work, instead of canning the chat completely?  Again, PTCGO will not communicate with us honestly as to why they are doing what they do.

I will state again, this liberal approach with "just deal with it" attitude where they implement rules at will, which is fine, but why can't we have an explanation as to why?  After all, it seems much of the issues between we the players and the mods/devs are the lack of any transparency.

Personally, I think they are just tired of getting complaints about rude players.  At the same time, they do not have the money/resources to properly mod the game as you suggested.  

So they choose to implement the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem.

20 September 2016 - 10:36 PM

JamesPup

Trainer

• JamesPup

I had someone say so much mean stuff to me when he was a turn away from the game ending and him losing. I will say it is one in 1,000 people that say terrible things but I don't need people like that, even at that ratio.

21 September 2016 - 01:24 AM

jcgss77

Expert Trainer

• jcgss77

Personally, I think they are just tired of getting complaints about rude players.  At the same time, they do not have the money/resources to properly mod the game as you suggested.  

So they choose to implement the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem.

Is this public knowledge?  I am not sure of the employee structure of the PTCGO, or the available resources.  The logical conclusion can be drawn as you have said, but I wonder if it is actually true.  I suspect that if the PTCGO ran as well as it could, it would take from the physical game, where the real money is made, and they would then lose money.  I am sure that the game client draws more money to the card game franchise.

I had someone say so much mean stuff to me when he was a turn away from the game ending and him losing. I will say it is one in 1,000 people that say terrible things but I don't need people like that, even at that ratio.

So is that one person in 1000 worth removing chat for the other 999?  I certainly agree that the out of match chat can be completely removed, that is the most toxic part of the game, not to mention the most useless.

Edited by jcgss77, 21 September 2016 - 01:24 AM.

21 September 2016 - 02:31 AM

awesome_guy

Elite Trainer

• awesome_guy

Is this public knowledge?  I am not sure of the employee structure of the PTCGO, or the available resources.  The logical conclusion can be drawn as you have said, but I wonder if it is actually true.  I suspect that if the PTCGO ran as well as it could, it would take from the physical game, where the real money is made, and they would then lose money.  I am sure that the game client draws more money to the card game franchise.

So is that one person in 1000 worth removing chat for the other 999?  I certainly agree that the out of match chat can be completely removed, that is the most toxic part of the game, not to mention the most useless.

well actually if you'd checked the forums daily you'd know exactly what he meant. There have been an overflow of these "badmouthing" reports on pvp forums and even sometimes game feedback (almost always directly calling out the player- meaning that mods were immediately alerted)

and please make that 2 in 1000, i shared my experience above. Either way, it doesn't seem like the "for chat" committee has an overload of people showing up here. Nobody wants canned chat, but what we need is a good viable alternative (not a reasonable one- a viable one for ptcgo)

21 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Reaper1510

Rookie Trainer

• Reaper1510

I still had more friendly chats, then rude ones, in all the time i played..

a shame that its being removed...

21 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

jcgss77

Expert Trainer

• jcgss77

well actually if you'd checked the forums daily you'd know exactly what he meant. There have been an overflow of these "badmouthing" reports on pvp forums and even sometimes game feedback (almost always directly calling out the player- meaning that mods were immediately alerted)

and please make that 2 in 1000, i shared my experience above. Either way, it doesn't seem like the "for chat" committee has an overload of people showing up here. Nobody wants canned chat, but what we need is a good viable alternative (not a reasonable one- a viable one for ptcgo)

Look man, it is obvious you don't like the in game chat.  And if you are talking about the flood of threads where people are just random complaining, no, I ignore those, the same people complaining about the same stuff with incoherent blabber and a whole page where they don't say anything.  No, I just skip over that.

I do come across some of the worst, a guy swore at me because I beat him in a 24 ticket championship game, and some of the sorest winners I have ever experienced.  But, I have found many more friends than punx.  You may feel free to just turn off the chat, but I will not be able to just turn on the chat.

I really don't know what your problem is, PTCGO will simply do what it plans to do anyways, they have a history of not changing what they do.  Don't worry, you will have your completely detached PTCGO in a week.

21 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

awesome_guy

Elite Trainer

• awesome_guy

Look man, it is obvious you don't like the in game chat.  And if you are talking about the flood of threads where people are just random complaining, no, I ignore those, the same people complaining about the same stuff with incoherent blabber and a whole page where they don't say anything.  No, I just skip over that.

I do come across some of the worst, a guy swore at me because I beat him in a 24 ticket championship game, and some of the sorest winners I have ever experienced.  But, I have found many more friends than punx.  You may feel free to just turn off the chat, but I will not be able to just turn on the chat.

I really don't know what your problem is, PTCGO will simply do what it plans to do anyways, they have a history of not changing what they do.  Don't worry, you will have your completely detached PTCGO in a week.

Well if you read ANYTHING i'd said in my last post you'd never have put it up. But obviously you don't read posts that don't line up exactly with yours. I clearly said that i didn't like canned chat. Not in game chat. Canned chat. Clear and simple. I just feel that the alternative (a very very poor monitoring of chat) is not good enough to validate keeping a chat which can clearly be used to cause harm (which despite what some of your experiences suggest, does happen. I'm not striking off your claims as evidence. Just saying that you got the better half of opponents)

However, what you don't understand is that when the posts complaining about stuff people have said to them over the past few weeks outnumber your thread almost thirty to one. And unless you actually go and try to help them out, please don't attempt to make this something about me. This isn't about my opinion on what would be best. This is my opinion on what would seem morally correct given the two inches that ptcgo gives us every time they take a foot.

Now if you'd please stop trying to offend me by first saying that it's what i want and then insulting it i'd be very grateful, because once that's out of the way we can sit and debate this like civilized people

21 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

Of course I do not know that for fact.  They would be foolish to blab that to the public.  It was just something I inferred from my own experience working in IT and what I have seen in game and this forum. :)  

Also, unless we have access to their financial data, we would not know if PTCGO is more profitable than PTCG either.  ;)  Although my guts tell me (ie. speculation) that PTCG is still where the money is.

21 September 2016 - 11:41 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Firstly- the state of maintainment is your opinion.  I think is very well maintained given current circumstances, especially the GO! craze.  Second: Whel wuddyamen?  This game probably does not attract very many people who have never played pokemon before, but I doubt it turns away much of anyone, and the PTCGO certainly brings many people into closer (and more monetary) involvement.  And finally: that content is not going to get censored.  Why should it?  It would be playing right into your hands.

I'm quitting the game anyway, so it doesn't matter to me either way.
The online card game, the main site, the forums, customer support, it's all terribly made and even more terribly maintained. 
For being an official part of the Pokémon Company, they really bring down the overall worth of the franchise.
I'm just gonna stick to the console games from now on.
- but I imagine this criticism will be removed by a moderator, regardless of whether or not it's actually in violation of any of the forum rules.
Whatever. I'll be on Azurilland.
Edit: is there a way to just delete all my forum posts? I don't wanna be a part of these forums anymore.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

22 September 2016 - 12:43 AM

jcgss77

Expert Trainer

• jcgss77

Well if you read ANYTHING i'd said in my last post you'd never have put it up. But obviously you don't read posts that don't line up exactly with yours. I clearly said that i didn't like canned chat. Not in game chat. Canned chat. Clear and simple. I just feel that the alternative (a very very poor monitoring of chat) is not good enough to validate keeping a chat which can clearly be used to cause harm (which despite what some of your experiences suggest, does happen. I'm not striking off your claims as evidence. Just saying that you got the better half of opponents)

However, what you don't understand is that when the posts complaining about stuff people have said to them over the past few weeks outnumber your thread almost thirty to one. And unless you actually go and try to help them out, please don't attempt to make this something about me. This isn't about my opinion on what would be best. This is my opinion on what would seem morally correct given the two inches that ptcgo gives us every time they take a foot.

Now if you'd please stop trying to offend me by first saying that it's what i want and then insulting it i'd be very grateful, because once that's out of the way we can sit and debate this like civilized people

You said in a previous post that you support canned chat.  That is what I was going by.  I am sorry you took offense, I was not trying to offend you.  If I was, I could do a LOT better, but that is not what I want.

If you want to take complaints by sheer volume, then night march and EX pokemon would have been banned long ago.  I don't think that is not the reason PTCGO is removing chat, but for other reasons, likely it will make their jobs easier, since they obviously can't keep up, or simply won't keep up with the demands of the game.

I would be more than happy to personally investigate verbal complaints from users, as long as PTCGO provided a concrete set of rules for severity and repeated offenders, and would do it free of charge, if only for a few in-game perks.  But I doubt PTCGO would allow any non-insiders to any type of information to the workings on the game, or other intellectual property, or the tenacity by which I would recommend punishment.

Of course I do not know that for fact.  They would be foolish to blab that to the public.  It was just something I inferred from my own experience working in IT and what I have seen in game and this forum. :)

Also, unless we have access to their financial data, we would not know if PTCGO is more profitable than PTCG either.   ;)  Although my guts tell me (ie. speculation) that PTCG is still where the money is.

I certainly did not mean that online draws more money than the physical game.  Just that it drives more sales for the physical game than it takes away from.  Guess I was in a bit of a mental stupor in my last couple responses to you and awesome_guy.

Edited by jcgss77, 22 September 2016 - 12:45 AM.

22 September 2016 - 01:51 AM

shinygeodude

Veteran Trainer

• shinygeodude

Canned chat is a ridiculously stupid idea. If it's all about the kids, there's already an option to prevent them from seeing/using the chat, so what's the point of this?

22 September 2016 - 03:36 AM

seminc

Elite Trainer

• seminc

Canned chat is a ridiculously stupid idea. If it's all about the kids, there's already an option to prevent them from seeing/using the chat, so what's the point of this?

This. Just make it possible to turn on a sort of parental controls in game with a seperate PIN or whatnot, and be able to easily disable chat.

seminc

Da Señor Guru

63% Complete — 2 Sets Complete

22 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

OrangeOtaku

Rookie Trainer

• OrangeOtaku

Although I never use the in-game chat too often while playing I do also agree that canning it completely is not the way to go here and just adding parental controls to restrict it is good enough, we already have a blocking function so you'd think that would also just be fine already.

22 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

Kilaw

Rookie Trainer

• Kilaw

As I said in the original feed back post, I dislike Canned chats.  It makes it feel too much like hearthstone.  Not that Hearthstone is a bad game.  Just feels less social because of the Canned chat system they have.   Maybe if they had the ability to Opt to turn Canned Chats off, and have it defaulted on, that might be OK to me. 

22 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

TreTorMud

Veteran Trainer

• TreTorMud

Canning the chat is a solution that will be implemented to the tcgo for a problem that doesn't need to be fixed. I don't see any valid reason why it needs to go away, there are other things that need to be fixed or refined instead.

62% Completion - Set closest to completion: Dark Explorers  - 14 Sets Complete

22 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

Canning the chat is a solution that will be implemented to the tcgo for a problem that doesn't need to be fixed. I don't see any valid reason why it needs to go away, there are other things that need to be fixed or refined instead.

Hahaha I get the joke :P

24 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

jcgss77

Expert Trainer

• jcgss77

This. Just make it possible to turn on a sort of parental controls in game with a seperate PIN or whatnot, and be able to easily disable chat.

I know guys, right?  This is all that is needed, and underage chat already has the option to turn it off.  I feel it is something more than just how many people complain about what is said on the chat, but more a way to ease the work constraints for the developers.  Just my hunch.

24 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

I know guys, right?  This is all that is needed, and underage chat already has the option to turn it off.  I feel it is something more than just how many people complain about what is said on the chat, but more a way to ease the work constraints for the developers.  Just my hunch.

Probably more to ease the workload of Support so they can focus more on helping the Go players :P

Like I said, it is easy solution that fixes multiple problems: reduce the number of complaints / support tickets related to rude players, eliminate the need to monitor in-game chat, make the game more kid friendly, and more importantly easy to implement.  From business standpoint, it is a no-brainer.

ETA: note that I never said this was the best solution for the majority of players who are generally curteous during gameplay

Edited by MewSevenSeven, 24 September 2016 - 01:21 PM.

24 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

BeastM

Trainer

• BeastM
+1 Don't can the chat plz
"I object! That was...objectionable!"

~~Gold: 161 Silver: 65 bronze: 73

24 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Adhir1995

Elite Trainer

• Adhir1995

1 thing I really am not able to comprehend and failing to understand here is, if they are adding canned chat with a mute button, why not just have the mute button instead??? *facepalm*